Old August 8, 2003, 09:02   #1
Lord_Zero
Settler

Local Time: 07:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Gameplay questions?
I just bought the strategy guide and I read some stuff that I did not know I want to make sure I am reading it right.

To get the benefits of granary, smelter and oil do you need one in each city.

Temple to get the taxation wealth do you need a temple in each city? If you had it in one city would you get the taxation for one city.
Lord_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2003, 09:32   #2
MattH
King

The manual in the Goodies folder says no such thing . Maybe they mean to get the MAXIMUM benifit?
Old August 8, 2003, 09:51   #3
Lord_Zero
Settler

In the strat guide it says it only works on the woodcutter camp that is in the city border. It stats that about the granary and smelter.
Old August 8, 2003, 11:12   #4
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 01:05
Yes, the smelter, lumber mill(or whatever it's called), and the Granary will only effect those camps within that cities radius.

So, if you don't have farms in a particualr city, a Granary will do nothing. Same with woodcutters and mines.

The Oil Refinery will stack whether or not there is a oil well in the city or not AFAIK.

Temples...I thought taxation worked on % of territory owned. More temples would increase that %, therefore making more cash, but perhaps I am wrong there.

So, if you have mines or woodcutter camps outside a cities radius, they will not be impacted by the bonuses of the smelters and lumber mills.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2003, 17:53   #5
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 02:05
This falls under strategy, so it's been moved.

The management.
Old August 9, 2003, 00:11   #6
Out4Blood
Warlord

Local Time: 02:05
You only need 1 temple to get the upgrades. The upgrade increases the tax you get per 1% of territory. However, temples are useful for expanding borders and increasing the defenses of your city. It's a good idea to build temples in all cities. Why? Because you can build further out for the second city, and then even further for the third, and by then you want temples on all the frontlines to push back enemy borders.

You need a granary, lumber mill, or smelter in each town where you want the bonuses to accrue. Therefore, it's a good idea to have a main wood chopping town with 2x 8+ slotters. A lumbermill there is AWESOME.

As stated, refineries increase ALL oil production by +33%. And they stack. So you want to build enough of these (1 per city) to max out your oil production.
Out4Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2003, 15:50   #7
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 03:05
As almost everywhere in the game, there are some interesting tradeoffs here. The first granary only adds +2 food per farmer, so +10 maximum (except Egyptians). However, research will ramp that up nicely, AND the researched bonuses apply to fishing as well as to farms with granaries. Also, the sooner you get that first granary up, the sooner you can start researching the forage line. Similar considerations apply for each production-boost building.

Yes, refineries are very powerful, and mean you can max oil production with very few wells (maybe four)...however, both wells and refineries are *great* targets, so redundant redundancy is a good thing!

[Whoops! It's smelter research that provides the attrition benefits...]
Old August 12, 2003, 04:34   #8
WRangler Rhymer
Warlord

Yes build one in each city I have done it from the begining, it does work good. BUt if you have no farms or lumber, or mines dont put it in that city then dont put Granaries and etc. it is a waste it does nothing but if you do then put it in!
WRangler Rhymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2003, 04:35   #9
WRangler Rhymer
Warlord

oH yes and oil you dont need you build refineries in every city just one does the same as many.
Old August 12, 2003, 07:18   #10
Lord_Zero
Settler

I use forts to border push which is the better border pusher fort or temple. What fire faster and deals more dammage fort or temple? DO you have to have them garrisoned for them to fire.
Old August 12, 2003, 09:41   #11
MattH
King

Quote:
Originally posted by WRangler Rhymer
oH yes and oil you dont need you build refineries in every city just one does the same as many.
Yes, you do. They stack benifits, IIRC.
Old August 12, 2003, 16:53   #12
Hermann the Lombard
Prince

Local Time: 03:05
Quote:
Originally posted by MattH

Correct. Refineries boost all your oil output, and the bonuses stack.

L_Z: You might want to rummage around online; there's a lot of this info available. Forts push harder than temples, and increasing city size pushes, and increasing civics tech pushes, and certain rare resources. You'll want to use as many as you can. Note that temples also strengthen all the buildings in that city. OTOH, you can build a fort outside the city radius...though the combo of city and fort is mutually supporting.

Temples don't fire at all. Only forts, towers, and cities fire. You can't garrison in temples, either. [You can also garrison in barracks, stable, and factory, but you can't shoot from those.] Empty cities don't fire (except the Mayan cities); towers and forts do, but they fire more often as the garrison strength increases, until it tops out. Check out the detailed numbers (1/3 for example means the strength is now 1 and the max is 3). Cities have low limits, so you hit the max after a couple of units or a few citizens; additional forces add nothing (but can heal and are protected).
Old August 15, 2003, 06:25   #13
WRangler Rhymer
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by MattH

Umm.... When I have played I often get hasted to battle, and have had only one refinery and it seemed to do the same as many. OH well must of been the nation I was playing, sorry.