Old August 8, 2003, 09:22   #1
MoRtAl
Settler

Local Time: 07:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Who uses nukes?
I just wanted to know who relies on nuclear weapons as part of their strategy.
I never actually used them before and saw no need, up to Emperor.
Since these are supposed to be the great equalise, I decided to test how they work on all dif. levels.
[I'm using AU mod, just so you know]
This was my project for the last 3 or so months. [my games last LONG] All games as Persia.

Well here it goes:

Chieftan: Saw no need for them. Could have won easily long before these were even available. Purposely DIDN'T win untill I got these. Found them to be counter productive. For the cost I could probably build enough units to take over the city, no problem.

Warlord: Same deal as above. Seems to be that wasting the city makes no sense when you can take over it so easily. None of the AIs managed to get them, although I think that some nukes would have helped them fight back. Mneh. Thats warlord for you.

Prince: Still no use. A nuke did help to crack open an AI capital, but that was just becuase I didn't want to wait for 2-3 turns of bombard. Effective yes. Neccessary? No. Not worth using still.

Monarch: Not much going for me this game. Bad placement, nowhere to REX, tough enemies. Still, I got to tech. parity and got out some nukes. Didn't work so well on the small cities, I just ended up making them useless. The biger cities went pollution crazy, starved, rioted and when I captured them had nothing of value, again not very useful. They did wok woners on the giant AI stacks. I launched one right at a border city with a bunch of AI units sitting there. The city was useless. The AI's main army was pretty much dead. Quite effective.
Conclusion: A nuke helps break an uneasy balance where noone can get ahead. Useful if your starting position is bad.

Emeperor: [even]Well this time it was a little different. I started well, kept my vassal states under control and was ahead slightly by the end game. Didn't need nukes at all but I did use them to a distant enemy. After three went off he quickly came to the table begging for mercy.
Meh. If you're that far ahead using nukes to inspire fear isn't as good as using armies to inspire fear.
Only good for attacking a distant, powerful enemy that you couldn't get to other wise.

Diety: Again, started in a great spot. GOt my self a continent. Another computer got himself a continent. Another one got a bunch of islands. The rest were at our mercy. I started two wars with both the other "leaders". Throwing nukes at the islland chain worked poorly. At most I disrupted a couple cities after the attack. Since the island empire was spread out it would have taken over 20 nukes and a large invasion force to do anything.
The other continntal enemy was now ahead of me becuase of this wasted war. Fortunately 4 nukes wiped out 80% of his main forces. A single strike took out around 2 cities [drove them inot starvation becuase of pollution]. Worked very well against a larger, superior amount of units and cities.

My conclusion: Nukes are useful only at the higher stages. Near useless when you're winning, work well if you're the under dog. Shame that the AI doesn't use them well [or at all]
Old August 8, 2003, 09:37   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:05
I, as of yet, have not felt the need to use them.
Old August 8, 2003, 13:08   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:05
Only used them a few times on games that were conquest only huge maps. This allows the game to run long enough to have nukes. I only used them, if the AI used them first.
So it can be a laugh, but is not a factor in the out come.

Last edited by vmxa1; August 8, 2003 at 18:44.
Old August 8, 2003, 13:57   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I've only used them back when the game first came out, to see the effects. Haven't touched 'em since.

I don't think they are needed, or particularly useful given the shield outlay. Besides, the game is almost always won or lost before the modern era.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 8, 2003, 14:36   #5
badams52
King

Local Time: 23:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I only used them after I already won just to see what would happen.
Old August 8, 2003, 16:05   #6
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I have yet to be in a situation where I needed them, except the Egyptian Mess, a looooong time ago, and I doubt I could have survived long enought to effectively nuke my way to victory.

[Hey, that has a nice ring to it: Nuke My Way To Victory!! :lol]

But the few times I've played with'em, man, they are fun!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 8, 2003, 16:21   #7
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Played with them for the fun. But never relied on them for any strategy. Cost to much and to limited usually.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old August 8, 2003, 16:25   #8
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 02:05
Needed them? Probably not, but they can really speed up a sure thing game.
Old August 8, 2003, 18:05   #9
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

I've always been disappointed in that the AI will never use nukes against me. I have never needed to use nukes, but they do have their uses, such as breaking the will of a heavily fortified city. 95% of the time that I use nukes, it is out of boredom.
Old August 8, 2003, 21:19   #10
Turk Man
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:05
once for fun!
Old August 8, 2003, 22:03   #11
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

I've never once used them. Like Arrian I usually have the game won before they really come on line...either that or I got my butt kicked before I got there and started a new game.

I suppose I'll have to try one out sooner or later just to see the effect.

Last edited by Rhothaerill; August 8, 2003 at 23:48.
Old August 8, 2003, 23:05   #12
BigDork
Prince

There was an AU a while back I almost had to resort to nukes to attempt to wipe out the French. Ended up getting a space victory the turn before I planned on launching my nukes. But then I went back just for fun and launched. It was fun to watch but isn't a good way to win IMHO.

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old August 9, 2003, 01:59   #13
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

I usually build a few. My games have Manhattan Project as a minor wonder.

I occasionally use them tactically (to help taking a city) if the political alignments are compatible.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old August 9, 2003, 04:50   #14
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 01:05
doesn't the loading for each nuke get pretty annoying?
Old August 9, 2003, 13:57   #15
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

I rarely use nukes and usually just for fun after the outcome has been determined. I have only been in one situation where I felt they were necessary and it was simply lack of attention that got me there. I was involved in a particullarly nasty war with the Zulu and had to commit a large amount of resouces to break their attack and counter strike. During this time I let relationships with two other major powers slide. Suddenly I found myself at war with the three main powers and my forces deeply committed on foriegn soil. Tactical nuke against the invading stacks from Babylon and France brunted the force of their invasions while causing me to have 4 cities laid waste in return. This did allow me time to reposition and stabilize the front. The fact that the Zulu had been broken allowed me to negotiate a peace after a few turns and then the other front proceeded normally with no further use of nukes.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old August 9, 2003, 14:45   #16
Uber Warrior
Chieftain

Ok, I have read some of these responses and while they do seem rather well thought out I must disagree. I am playing on a "Real World Map" I am the USA and I am one of about four Superpowers, I am between third and second on Power. Well there was a World war and do you want to know what happened. They weakest Superpower and the strongest allied against me and another. We wasted the strong one and bombed him conventionally into submission. Only problem was this, by the time he was beaten down sufficently neither of us could take the cities without many losses. So my allie begins nuking the **** out of them, literally. The comp used its full arsenal of around 23 ICBM's. And I am only at the second lvl of difficulty. I also did not mention that the other 10 smaller weaker civs that had nukes used theirs as well.
Old August 9, 2003, 16:30   #17
Mad Bomber
King

Nukes are Useful in limited situations:

Nukes should be saved for particularly tough targets such as a capital building a Spaceship in a close race or a powerful SOD where it would take too many units to wipe out conventionally. The most use I have for nukes is to hit the capital with just one nuke and then wait one turn and nuke it again, wiping out much of its work force (especially useful in a war of attrition in which you want to deny resources, cut supply lines, and administer a slow but crippling blow to the AI. )
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old August 10, 2003, 19:09   #18
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Does the AI do diplomacy different when you own nukes?
Old August 11, 2003, 00:55   #19
johncmcleod
Prince

I think if you use a nuke every civ not already at war with the victim will declare war on you.

I rarely use them. They aren't effective enough IMO. In real life if you're in a world war nukes would be necessary, but in civ3 most people don't bother building them.

I don't like them because I hate seeing one of my core cities get annihilated. It is too painful. Especially when you're America and your former hometown (Seattle) gets nuked. Nukes aren't cost effective either. They are good for winning the SS race and for a few other small purposes.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old August 11, 2003, 12:49   #20
Verto
King

Is there any way to tweak the game, so that AI civilizations are more likely to use nukes? It would be fun to get some MAD in Civ.
Old August 11, 2003, 13:25   #21
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

yes , they are great to stop fleets

or to mold the land a bit , ...... mountains become hills and thus provide one food after clean up , .......

have a nice day
Old August 11, 2003, 14:50   #22
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
I've always been disappointed in that the AI will never use nukes against me. I have never needed to use nukes, but they do have their uses, such as breaking the will of a heavily fortified city. 95% of the time that I use nukes, it is out of boredom.
I always have them used against me, and I'm even painstakingly careful not to raze or break treaties. But it doesn't usually happen until very near the end of the game.
Old August 11, 2003, 14:52   #23
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
Nukes are Useful in limited situations:

Nukes should be saved for particularly tough targets such as a capital building a Spaceship in a close race or a powerful SOD where it would take too many units to wipe out conventionally. The most use I have for nukes is to hit the capital with just one nuke and then wait one turn and nuke it again, wiping out much of its work force (especially useful in a war of attrition in which you want to deny resources, cut supply lines, and administer a slow but crippling blow to the AI. )
Hrm, to this day I've still never tried the Space Race victory option. I hated it Civ1, but maybe I give it a shot. Then maybe I'd have a use for all the nukes I build.
Old August 11, 2003, 16:38   #24
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
The AI has nuked me preemptively. India and I were carving up a civ using conventional weapons (I can not remember which civ we were fighting - Iroquois maybe) and it dropped a nuke on one of my newly captured cities.
Old August 11, 2003, 18:13   #25
Menlas
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:05
Quote:
Originally posted by panag
or to mold the land a bit , ...... mountains become hills and thus provide one food after clean up , .......
Really ? Hmm...time to colonize this small mountain-only island after all
Old August 11, 2003, 18:25   #26
Verto
King

I usually build up a significant nuclear arsenal as soon as I have the ability to. Will the AI act differently toward you, depending on your own amount of nuclear weapons, and theirs? For example, if I only have 4 nukes, and Civilization X has 20, will they be more arrogant, or more willing to use unconventional weapons against me?
Old August 11, 2003, 18:30   #27
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Menlas

Really ? Hmm...time to colonize this small mountain-only island after all
hi ,

yep , give it a try , start on a huge map with 25 icbms or so and a couple tacticals to test it

have a nice day
Old August 11, 2003, 20:33   #28
johncmcleod
Prince

What if you fire off a nuke that hits an area that nobody has borders going over? For example if there's a small island made completely of mountains (no cities could be on it) without cultural borders going over it and you nuke it, will it hurt your rep or anything?

Also, what happens when you nuke your own city? I've never tried it, and I can't try it right now because I don't have any modern or industrial saves right now (just cleaned out the folder). Also, I have never tried this before but am I correct in assuming that when you choose to nuke a city owned by another civ you're at peace with it makes you declare war on them?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old August 11, 2003, 20:37   #29
Verto
King

Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod

Also, what happens when you nuke your own city?
You cannot nuke your own city. Or can you?
Old August 12, 2003, 17:56   #30
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

You cannot nuke your own city. Or can you?
hi ,

yes you can

have a nice day