View Poll Results: Would you like to see a Single European State?
Yes (I'm British) 3 4.92%
No (I'm British) 5 8.20%
Yes (I'm from continental Europe) 13 21.31%
No (I'm from continental Europe) 5 8.20%
Yes (I'm American) 14 22.95%
No (I'm American) 10 16.39%
Yes (I'm none of the above) 3 4.92%
No (I'm none of the above) 5 8.20%
Banana republics should unite a form a world-wide banana monopoly 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 10, 2003, 12:45   #31
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 08:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
"This means that if you think that you could support calls for a SES so long as the EU became more democratic/decentralised/whatever then you should vote yes in the poll."

I voted yes based on that, though I'm not sure whether you would qualify what I'd like to see as a state: Bring the existing foreign, defense and justice policies into the 1st (supranational) pillar, and that's pretty much it.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old August 10, 2003, 12:55   #32
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 23:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I really dont think there will be a single European State. The Members will all want to keep their power and not want to give any of it up to a centrail government, and then this European State will be very weak, unable to do much of anything. If you look at the history of US, the early from of government made the federal government very weak and the states had all the power, they even taxed goods that came from other states and printed their own money. That fail and a from of government with a stronger federal govenment came about and is still around today.

Now will the nations of Europe ever be willing to accept a stong centrail government and give up many of their powers to the centrail govenment? THat will tell you if these Europe State will come about and last for a long period of time.