Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Bush Ready to Endorse the Terminator
I told you so MTG!!!!

Quote:
"I find that what's going on in the state of California very interesting, and I'm confident the citizens of California will sort all this out for the good of the citizenry," President Bush told reporters outside his ranch in Crawford, Texas.(Full story)

Bush stopped short of a formal endorsement, but he had some kind words for fellow Republican Schwarzenegger -- who had campaigned for the first President Bush.

"I think he'd be a good governor," Bush said.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/...all/index.html

Mis Novias
Old August 8, 2003, 23:28   #2
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ted Kennedy said basically the same thing... that's far from an endorsement, however.
Old August 8, 2003, 23:31   #3
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

This is just the start.

I didn't say he endorsed him. He's ready to though.

He served under Bush 1 and personally campaigned for him.

He has already been endorsed by former LA Mayor Richard Riorden and former California Governor Pete Wilson.

Mis Novias
Old August 8, 2003, 23:35   #4
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Personally, I think Bush is going to let this one play out. I don't think Bush is wise to stick his nose in the Davis debate... considering Dubya is CREATING BUDGET SHORTFALLS.
Old August 8, 2003, 23:37   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 07:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Personally, I think Bush is going to let this one play out. I don't think Bush is wise to stick his nose in the Davis debate... considering Dubya is CREATING BUDGET SHORTFALLS.
Oh no....That's all Clintons fault!!!! Every good thing that happens is Bushs doing. Every bad thing that happens is Clintons doing.

NEVAR FORGOT!!!
Old August 8, 2003, 23:38   #6
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

oh yeah, sorry
Old August 8, 2003, 23:59   #7
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 01:06
I'm offically endorsing that California try to speed up the Big One where it slides into the ocean.
Old August 9, 2003, 00:00   #8
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Rush Limbaugh isn't endorsing him -- just the opposite.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 9, 2003, 00:04   #9
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

yeah mad monk, the right wingers don't like arnold...
Old August 9, 2003, 00:53   #10
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Hear Me Now and Believe Me Later

August 7, 2003

Here me now and believe me later, my friends: all these conservative orgasms over Arnold Schwarzenegger are - like the "Gorbasms" liberals experienced over Mikhail Sergeevich Gorbachev - fake. I know that (R) next to Schwarzenegger's name excites the White House, but his own words prove he's not a conservative. I call this "The Hollywood Syndrome," and it happens every time some actor-type says anything even remotely conservative. I'm not trying to cold shower anybody here, but don't look to anyone in Hollywood to validate your political ideas.

The American Prowler's George Neumayr detailed Arnold's politics in his article "Here's Arnold!" Quote: "[H]e spoke in generalities and banalities about his plans for the state. To the extent that he said anything, he sounded not like a fiscal conservative but a moderate Democrat. He said that he wanted businesses to come back to California so that the state government could collect enough tax revenues to provide social programs. This is the sort of obtuse comment middle-of-the-road Democrats always make, forgetting that businesses are leaving the state because they are tired of paying high taxes for those big government social programs."

More: "He has told the press he is 'very liberal' about social programs, supports abortion and homosexual adoption, and advocates 'sensible gun controls.' His entree into politics last year was a proposition Democrats endorsed because it raised state spending for what amounted to state babysitting - before-school and after-school programs that cost the state up to $455 million a year. He has complained openly about the party's conservatism.... Talk magazine described him as 'impatient' with the religious right....
[H]e expressed disgust with the Republicans who impeached Clinton. 'That was another thing I will never forgive the Republican Party for,' he said. 'We spent one year wasting time because there was a human failure. I was ashamed to call myself a Republican during that period.'"

Does this sound like "the Next Reagan," as some people are calling Arnold? Hardly. This guy may be the next actor elected governor of California, but that's where the similarity between him and Ronaldus Magnus end.
http://rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/s...ape.guest.html
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 9, 2003, 01:05   #11
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

What exactly is Rush expecting from a Republican that actually has a chance at the Governor's office since Simon got slapped down?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old August 9, 2003, 01:08   #12
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I don't know.
Old August 9, 2003, 01:49   #13
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Re: Bush Ready to Endorse the Terminator
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
I told you so MTG!!!!

Then why did he "stop short" when the subject was right in front of him?

Endorsements are a dime a dozen, and Arnie didn't even get that, not that a majority of the electorate in California gives a dead rat's left nut for what George W. Bush has to say about California state office candidates.

Keep dreaming though, it's good for you.
Old August 9, 2003, 01:52   #14
MrFun
Emperor

Re: Bush Ready to Endorse the Terminator
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
I told you so MTG!!!!

Bush is claiming that he can think? What lies will he come up with next?
Old August 9, 2003, 02:54   #15
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 03:06
Just as I read your quote Ted, that sound bite came on the TV.

But as I said before: I'd vote The Arn. But Michigan never gets such interesting candidates.
Old August 9, 2003, 11:40   #16
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Ahnold's moderatism doesn't bother me, better him then a far left liberal Democrat.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old August 9, 2003, 11:48   #17
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
What exactly is Rush expecting from a Republican that actually has a chance at the Governor's office since Simon got slapped down?
The social conservative wing of the Republican party does not want to promote moderate Republicans - they will tolerate them if useful to the overall power of the party, i.e. in Congress or in state legislatures, but even there, they'd rather see one of their own.

If a liberal/moderate Republican wins, you can't very well criticize his policies, the way you could criticize a more conservative Democrat, because he's nominally from your own party.

It's the same reason that Nickles, Shelby, and Nighthorse-Campbell all flipped - their "own" state and national party provided minimal support, and was even hostile to some extent because they weren't liberal dems.
Old August 9, 2003, 15:00   #18
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Of course, that has never stopped Rush vis a vis John McCain and a few others.
Old August 9, 2003, 15:15   #19
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

??? Karl Rove had during the 2002 election tried to get more moderate candidates nominated, even helping a moderate challenger in the N.H. Senate Primary. They tried to favor Riordan for Gov but CA's people still supported Simon in the primary.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old August 9, 2003, 15:23   #20
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Neither party is monolithic, and has some pragmatists who agree with the need to include and support more centrist candidates, but each party itself (particular aggregated across the 50 state party organizations) is predominately controlled by their more hardline members.

Other than verbal expressions of "go get 'em tiger," Riordan sure seemed to get precious little in terms of meaningful support from either the RNC or the state party leadership.
Old August 9, 2003, 15:32   #21
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:06
I think American conservatives forget the European conservatives are about where the middle of the Democratic Party is.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 9, 2003, 15:40   #22
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 01:06
Hmm, will arnold gut the 400 milloion in aftershcool program spending he helped force upon the legislature of Cali by ballot initiative?

Arnold will have to coiunt on moderates and democrats to win the governorship, cause he won;t get the backing of the hard-line republicans in the state, at least at the ballot box.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw