Old August 10, 2003, 12:13   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 01:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I'm afraid I must resign.
My wife's appendix burst yesterday. She is going to be out of commission for at least 2 weeks and I will need to take care of the house and the kids.

To make matters all the more fun as well. I am fairly sure my youngest son has just come down with the Chicken Pocks. We are going in to find out for sure shortly.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but gotta attend to my family first.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 10, 2003, 14:33   #2
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 00:09
I feel so bad for you Uno I hope your wife gets better very soon and your son doesnt have chicken pox.
Old August 10, 2003, 15:28   #3
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I hope things turn for the better, UnOrthO. You sure seem to get more than your share of bad happenings.
Old August 10, 2003, 15:45   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 03:09
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Hope everything is OK, Un0... all the best.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 10, 2003, 15:59   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 10:09
All the best to you and your wife.
Old August 10, 2003, 16:38   #6
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 09:09
The spirits be with you Uno.
Old August 10, 2003, 16:54   #7
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:09
I hope your wife has an easy and quick recovery, and your son too.
Old August 10, 2003, 17:14   #8
Nuclear Winter
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineSpanish Civers
Prince

Local Time: 04:09
May God bless you and your family, Unortho.
May your wife and your kid recover quickly, too.
Old August 10, 2003, 18:32   #9
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

May God bless you and your family and I pray for a quick recovery!
Old August 11, 2003, 04:27   #10
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Family comes first. I hope for the best for you all.
Old August 11, 2003, 05:18   #11
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Hope she and your child have an uneventful recovery, UnO.

Bursting appendixes are definitely NOT fun, what with the risk of the infection spreading and all. Mine damn near burst the second time I had appendicitis (wasn't diagnosed the first time 'cause I didn't go see a doctor). If I had stalled the second time around...

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old August 11, 2003, 09:38   #12
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Well, you want your kid to have the pox eventually, but not at the same time as your wife needing care...

Here's wishing good health and speedy recovery to you and yours!
Old August 11, 2003, 09:41   #13
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Best wishes for speedy recoveries to you and your family UnOrthOdOx.
Old August 11, 2003, 12:07   #14
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Good luck and best wishes.

GK

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old August 11, 2003, 12:14   #15
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

It is the Pox.

Better he get's them now while he's 1 yr old. Im more concerned that my 4 yr old will get them now.

Apparantly the new 'vaccine' for Chicken Pox = 'we inject them with the LIVE virus' a week version of it anyway, that the normal side effect is the full blown virus...I thought vaccines were supposed to PREVENT the virus.

My wife is still in the hospital today, and I got the kids with a sitter who WANTS her kids exposed.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 11, 2003, 12:22   #16
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 09:09
hi ,

well all the best to you and the family Uno

lets hope you are back soon , its a shame to see that due to such unfortunate things you cant be with us for the moment , .....

have a nice day

P.S. think positive
Old August 11, 2003, 12:49   #17
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Actually, the school district where I live requires kids entering K or 1st grade to have had the vacination for the chicken pox virus prior to first day of school. (They send their news letter to every address in the district, even singles with no kids.)

The vacine for chicken pox has been publically adviable in the US since the mid 90s.

Quote:
Originally posted by ZargonX
Well, you want your kid to have the pox eventually, but not at the same time as your wife needing care...

Here's wishing good health and speedy recovery to you and yours!
Old August 11, 2003, 13:02   #18
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

It's almost guartined that your 4 year old now the chicken pox virus in his blood stream. If he wasn't previously vacinated, he'll come down with the sympthins about the time the 1 year old has recovered.

(And given the rigidness of rules in any bureactic system, the school district is probably still going to want him to be vacinated prior to entering K even though he already had it.)

Yes, it's often the case with any live weakend virus that a percentage of the population catches the full blown virus. I'm not surprized that their using the live version given it's only 1 shot needed rather than multiple shots and the history of the small pox vacine being an injection of cow pox. The point isn't to prevent the virus, it's to prevent death or serious harm from it, and apprently a realtively high percentage of people when injected with the dead version of the virus doesn't respond.

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

Better he get's them now while he's 1 yr old. Im more concerned that my 4 yr old will get them now.

Apparantly the new 'vaccine' for Chicken Pox = 'we inject them with the LIVE virus' a week version of it anyway, that the normal side effect is the full blown virus...I thought vaccines were supposed to PREVENT the virus.

My wife is still in the hospital today, and I got the kids with a sitter who WANTS her kids exposed.
Old August 11, 2003, 13:49   #19
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

A small amount of a live virus will throw the immune system into action. That means with a vaccine they'll suffer fever and perhaps light flu symptoms, as those are caused by the immune system, and not by a virus by itself. Because it's a small amount, the chicken pox virus has little chance to do damage.

Of course things can go wrong, but usually not horribly. Worst cause is that the virus gets into hiding before detection and duplicates for a full blown infection, which would be the same as catching it from a person.
Old August 11, 2003, 15:57   #20
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Unortho,

It's not unusual for parents to WANT their children to catch chicken pox when they're little kids. Giving your child immunity to the virus by ensuring that they go through a week of discomfort as kids is a whole lot better of running the risk that they will catch the FAR more dangerous version of the virus that can occur in adults without immunity.

As it stills stands, catching chicken pox as a child is still a better way to give yourself immunity than the lousy vaccine.

So I can completely understand the mother who wants her kids to catch it now and be sure of immunity rather than run the risk that they won't be immune as adults.
Old August 11, 2003, 18:47   #21
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Good luck with it all.

As far as chicken pox, I heard it's better to get it as a kid, because if you get it as an adult it has more severe effects.
Old August 12, 2003, 12:46   #22
joncnunn
Emperor

I would guess that the mother that wants her kids to catch it isn't even aware that a vaccine exists. (If she is aware of the vaccine at all, she doesn't trust it.) She's also probably not planning on having any more kids and wants them all to have it at the same time. This same behavior pattern was seen with a whole host of other common rarely fatal with treatment childhood diseases and lasted about a generation after the vacine became widepsread publicly adviable.

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
Unortho,

It's not unusual for parents to WANT their children to catch chicken pox when they're little kids. Giving your child immunity to the virus by ensuring that they go through a week of discomfort as kids is a whole lot better of running the risk that they will catch the FAR more dangerous version of the virus that can occur in adults without immunity.

As it stills stands, catching chicken pox as a child is still a better way to give yourself immunity than the lousy vaccine.

So I can completely understand the mother who wants her kids to catch it now and be sure of immunity rather than run the risk that they won't be immune as adults.
Old August 12, 2003, 13:00   #23
joncnunn
Emperor

Well it's not always the case that more severe effects as an adult, but the risk factor for complications is higher after puberty. Neither myself nor my brother were socially active as little kids and so it took until the 10th grade for me to catch it (1989, from my brother.) At the time the chicken pox vacine was in experemential trials. I'm aware that one high school student caught it from me. Worst that happened for me was my temperature peaked at 104.

Athough now in the industrialized world, there's no reason for anyone other than the unforunate percentage that catch a full blown case from the shot itself to have the sympthens, like a host of other former child hood diseases that 1 year olds get vacinated for.

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
As far as chicken pox, I heard it's better to get it as a kid, because if you get it as an adult it has more severe effects.
Old August 12, 2003, 13:30   #24
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

I must say Alec is handling it pretty well.

He is oblivious as to there even being on him until we have to wash his face or something that aggrevates it a bit, then he expresses his displeasure. But, for the large part, he is ignorant of the problem.

Kyle had the Vaccine as well, but some earlier version of it and his doctor is telling us he will likely also contract a mild version this weekend/next week.

My wife comes home today, but will not be allowed to do anything and needs to sit and recover from the medication/surgery.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old August 12, 2003, 14:59   #25
joncnunn
Emperor

Good to hear.
Old August 13, 2003, 07:13   #26
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:09
All the best, UnO!
Old August 13, 2003, 14:36   #27
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Glad to hear all is well.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con