Old August 10, 2003, 19:29   #31
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 00:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
1. Asian people usually don't hate Nazis, in fact, many find the Nazis cool.

2. This generates notoriety should some people get offended. => Notoriety creates name recognition.

3. Asians usually don't think that Germans are also pissed at that symbol.
Old August 10, 2003, 20:15   #32
Ned
King

Local Time: 23:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
LM, it appears you are correct about the "Asian" attitude about the NAZI's. However, this in itself is shocking and give one cause to be concerned.
Old August 10, 2003, 20:18   #33
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:09
Did you know that the Germans were the major suppliers of war material to the nationalist Chinese up to 1941? Most nationalist units wore German army helmets throughout the war.
Old August 10, 2003, 23:30   #34
Ned
King

Local Time: 23:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Dr. Strangelove, no, I did not know that the Germans were the major arms supplier of the Nationalist Chinese. It looks like they switched sides when they signed the Axis alliance with the Japanese in 1941. But they appear to have left behind a good deal of goodwill in the Chinese which continues even until today.

Still, Hong Kong as a British colony and someone in the company should've known better.
Old August 11, 2003, 00:34   #35
Space05us
King

Local Time: 19:09
when are Germans and Jewish people going to fall off into the ocean?
Old August 11, 2003, 00:41   #36
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:09
When are you going to eat a bullet?
Old August 11, 2003, 00:50   #37
Space05us
King

Quote:
When are you going to eat a bullet?
Probably never, they dont taste too good.
Besides it was a joke, how do you know Im not German or Jewish?

Just because one culture likes the way something looks doesnt mean that some other culutre has the right to stumble in and ***** about it.
Old August 11, 2003, 00:57   #38
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

It isn't just Germans and Jews who don't like seeing that **** stirred.

And I don't giva a **** whom of what culture wants to glorify Nazi regalia. Those that do are worthy of a bullet. It's that simple.
Old August 11, 2003, 01:02   #39
Space05us
King

Quote:
It isn't just Germans and Jews who don't like seeing that **** stirred.

And I don't giva a **** whom of what culture wants to glorify Nazi regalia. Those that do are worthy of a bullet. It's that simple.
Obviously you do give a ****, or else you wouldnt feel so strongly about it.

What is it about Nazi regalia that makes it so bad?
Old August 11, 2003, 01:14   #40
notyoueither
Deity

You need to ask?
Old August 11, 2003, 01:16   #41
Space05us
King

Quote:
You need to ask?
please, pretend I dont know what you'll answer.
Old August 11, 2003, 01:26   #42
notyoueither
Deity

Geez. I'm not sure. I find it hard to find humour in your first offering above.

Wouldn't you figure Germans would have a handle on it?
Old August 11, 2003, 01:29   #43
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 07:09
People are scared of Swastikas because they think Hitler will come out and send them off to Auchwitz.

So much emotion over a few symbols
Old August 11, 2003, 01:36   #44
Space05us
King

dammit I have to get offline, what I was going to say [in a nut shell]:

You were going to say something similar to: "They killed millions of innocent people, blah blah"

But Communists have also killed many people, a number greater than those which the nazis killed. Yet there are many people who wear red stars and the sickle and hammer (or whatever it is) yet you dont believe that they should be shot.

you say something similar to: "but thier ideology does not directly support the murder of innocent people"

Nor does nazism, similar to communism nazism (or at least what I understand of it) started out as mainly a social and economic outline. Yet also like communism nazism simply got a bad leader, and if it werent for the fact that nazism was such a new ideology when it happend then you might view it differently.

I had more to say, but I must be off.

side note: I have nothing against German or Jewish people. When I asked when were they going to fall off into the ocean I was merely poking fun at them the same way I did at California because altogether they seem to be what cause the most controversy.
Old August 11, 2003, 01:39   #45
notyoueither
Deity

Or 50 or 60 million dead. Not all jews, and not all Germans.

Do you need a better reason to despise Nazi regalia?
Old August 11, 2003, 01:40   #46
notyoueither
Deity

Oh, and the rising sun. That would not be cool either. Just doesn't seem as if the idiots trot that one out very often.
Old August 11, 2003, 01:45   #47
notyoueither
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Space05us
dammit I have to get offline, what I was going to say [in a nut shell]:

You were going to say something similar to: "They killed millions of innocent people, blah blah"

But Communists have also killed many people, a number greater than those which the nazis killed. Yet there are many people who wear red stars and the sickle and hammer (or whatever it is) yet you dont believe that they should be shot.

you say something similar to: "but thier ideology does not directly support the murder of innocent people"

Nor does nazism, similar to communism nazism (or at least what I understand of it) started out as mainly a social and economic outline. Yet also like communism nazism simply got a bad leader, and if it werent for the fact that nazism was such a new ideology when it happend then you might view it differently.

I had more to say, but I must be off.

side note: I have nothing against German or Jewish people. When I asked when were they going to fall off into the ocean I was merely poking fun at them the same way I did at California because altogether they seem to be what cause the most controversy.
I have never said that the extremes of the USSR should be forgiven, or forgotten.

I recognise that not all communists are Stalinists. It is harder to grant the same to people willing to wave Nazi war banners, or poor facsimiles thereof.

Last edited by notyoueither; August 11, 2003 at 02:28.
Old August 11, 2003, 05:04   #48
Space05us
King

Quote:
I have never said that the extremes of the USSR should be forgiven, or forgotten.

I recognise that not all communists are Stalinists. It is harder to grant the same to people willing to wave Nazi war banners, or poor facsimiles thereof.
So you would agree that both Nazis and Communists over the past century have commited equally horrific atrocities, but if you come across a nazi shoot them! Even though they might not follow Hitlers teachings they're a nazi nonetheless. But if you come across a Communist, leave them be because you know that not all of them are violent radicals.
Old August 11, 2003, 06:37   #49
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:

So you would agree that both Nazis and Communists over the past century have commited equally horrific atrocities, but if you come across a nazi shoot them! Even though they might not follow Hitlers teachings they're a nazi nonetheless. But if you come across a Communist, leave them be because you know that not all of them are violent radicals.
I have yet to meet a Nazi that didn't have the same ideologies of Hitler.

I've met many communists (and I am one) who do not follow the same ideology of Stalin.

'Nuff said.
Old August 11, 2003, 07:19   #50
mindseye
King

Local Time: 15:09
This is not the first occurance of this phenomena. Two or three years ago there was a notorious bar in (Taiwan? South Korea?) that had a concentration camp theme, complete with paintings of emaciated inmates adorning the walls.

Quote:
1. Asian people usually don't hate Nazis, in fact, many find the Nazis cool.
I haven't met anyone in China who thinks they were "cool", but a lot of young people don't seem to know much about the Nazis. They know Hitler was "bad", but that's about as far as it goes.

In this corner of the world, what the Japanese did during World War Two was so enormously much more relevant locally, that the European part of the war falls into the shadow. I mean, imagine if the Japanese had captured Los Angeles, then raped and murdered 1/4 of it's population in three weeks, and then occupied the western third of the USA for a few years. If that had happened, how much less might the average American know about the course of the war elsewhere?

Quote:
Did you know that the Germans were the major suppliers of war material to the nationalist Chinese up to 1941? Most nationalist units wore German army helmets throughout the war.
Here in China, some motorcyclists wear classic Wehrmacht WWII helmets. I assume they are unaware of the symbolism, as many of the wearers are grandpa types. Others wear crimson English riding hats. In China, motorcycles are often an old man thing, not many young guys ride them (too expensive). They are also driven much more slowly than cars.
Old August 11, 2003, 07:38   #51
August Borms
Prince

Local Time: 08:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

I have yet to meet a Nazi that didn't have the same ideologies of Hitler.

I've met many communists (and I am one) who do not follow the same ideology of Stalin.

'Nuff said.
How about Russki nazi's ?

Or do they also believe that the Germans are a master race and Russia should give up territory to increase the Lebensraum for the Germans?
Old August 11, 2003, 08:20   #52
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 09:09
The Neonazis here in Germany absolutely follow the racist Ideologies from Hitler andhis Followers.

But on the same time they often believe that the Concentration Camps and the Holocaust are a lie, invented by the Allied to justify their unjust war against Germany.

They are also the ones who sometimes commit attacks against foreigners or their homes/shops, make Propaganda against Jews destroy jewish graves or paint them with Graffities (like Swastikas or Anti Jewish Slogans).

The Right Wing Parties who try or tried to get elected here in Germany, like the Republicans or the NPD (Nationalistic Party of Germany) also tend to be somewhat Racists and make Propaganda against the Immigration of foreigners and the like with Slogans like "Germany to the Germans". And some of them have been forbidden or are under Observation by the Office for the Protection of the Constitution, because those Parties have close ties to the Neonazi Movement.

The Neonazis are only a very small part of the Population and their popularity seemsto be highest amongst jobless Youth and strangely in the former Territory of the DDR (which often is the same, as there were especially in small towns of the former DDR many Industries which had to be closed because they were not modern enough and so there are still many towns with an extremy high percentage of jobless people).
Oh and obviously the Leaders of the Neonazis seem to be the brightest people of the Bunch, whereas their followers can by no means be considered to be the creme de la creme of the German Intelligentsija and often compensate their Lack of Intelligence with a Plus in Brutality and martial appearance (Skinheads, Boots and Insignias of the third Reich are en vogue amongst them).

Absolutely not the people you´d like to have as neighbours. Especially if you are a foreigner or a punk (or both )

Last edited by Proteus_MST; August 11, 2003 at 08:30.
Old August 11, 2003, 08:49   #53
Space05us
King

meh, well I did the best i could but I guess its easier to argue for something if you truely believe it. I agree with you notyoueither, they should be shot on site. And Tassadar I was in no way trying to offend you or any other communists here, even though I hate your ideas

Proteus_MST, those sound like fun people!
but pardon my ignorance, whats the DDR?
Old August 11, 2003, 09:17   #54
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 09:09
Quote:

Proteus_MST, those sound like fun people!
but pardon my ignorance, whats the DDR?
DDR is the Deutsche Demokratische Republik (German Democratic Republic)
The Eastern Part of Germany which was occupied by the Russians after WW2, and then became a communist State, which had to build a Wall, not to keep foreigners out, but to prevent its own Citizens from fleeing into West Germany
The Citizens were kept Prisoners within their own country, secretly observed by some kind of Secret Police, the Stasi, and could travel only to Country within the Warsaw Pact, but not into other Western Countries.
But in the late 80s the Citizens throughout the DDR, inspired by Perestroika and Glasnost in the USSR, conducted massive Demonstrations against ist government. And, after Hungary (which was a EastBloc state where the Citizens of the DDR could freely travel into) opened its borders to Austria and let DDR Citizens cross these Borders, so that they could travel to Germany via Austria, some Kind of Stampede set in. A never ending Stream of DDR Citizens traveled to Hungary and, after finally some false informed Borderpolices opened the DDR-Border to West Berlin, it led to the Collapse of the DDR Government, as the DDR Government realized, that they, within short time would govern a state without Citizens

Afterwards the DDR became part of Germany, as the new Government decided in 1990 to fulfill the wishes of his people to be part of the BRD (Federal Republic of Germany).

The bad thing about it is, that the Industry in the former DDR were absolutely unmodern and so most of the Factories had to be closed, which lead to a high Percentage of Unemployment within those Territories.
It is also the reason why the former Territories of the DDR are for parts still a financial Burden for the BRD and the BRD would be financially better off without them (at least at the moment). But I hope things will change, as new modern Industries emerge in the Eastern Territories, but to date AFAIK it is still more money being spend for the development of these Territories, than being earned from them by Taxes and the like.

Last edited by Proteus_MST; August 11, 2003 at 09:36.
Old August 11, 2003, 09:29   #55
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Let's just throw all the Nazis out of helicopters. Problem solved.
Old August 11, 2003, 18:49   #56
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by August Borms

How about Russki nazi's ?

Or do they also believe that the Germans are a master race and Russia should give up territory to increase the Lebensraum for the Germans?
No, they believe the rest of the world should give up territory for Russia.
I've never met a Nazi who didn't think that Nazi Germany was justified. There.
Old August 11, 2003, 19:58   #57
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
Further on, it notes:

Quote:
In April, soft drink giant Coca-Cola pulled a promotional robot figurine adorned with what appeared to be Nazi swastikas following criticism from a Jewish leader in Hong Kong.
Have a Coke and a smile... plus a swastika-adorned robot? What the hell is wrong with these people?
I know what you mean. I suggested, "Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Swastika Adorned Robots.", but no one ever listens to me.
Old August 11, 2003, 20:04   #58
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by mindseye
This is not the first occurance of this phenomena. Two or three years ago there was a notorious bar in (Taiwan? South Korea?) that had a concentration camp theme, complete with paintings of emaciated inmates adorning the walls.
In their defense, buffalo wings sales improved by over %100.

Quote:
Originally posted by mindseye
Here in China, some motorcyclists wear classic Wehrmacht WWII helmets. I assume they are unaware of the symbolism, as many of the wearers are grandpa types. Others wear crimson English riding hats. In China, motorcycles are often an old man thing, not many young guys ride them (too expensive). They are also driven much more slowly than cars.
Hey, a lot of bikers in the U.S. used to wear German helmets, though they tended to prefer the spiked WW1 types more.
Old August 11, 2003, 20:13   #59
Odin
DiplomacyNever Ending StoriesApolyton UniversityRise of Nations MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

The WWI German helmets are cool. When it comes to WWI I am actually pro-central powers because it is Russia, and then France, who escalated a regional conflict (Austria was trying to take care of Serbian terrorists).

The attempt to produce Heaven on Earth often produces Hell. -Karl Popper
Old August 11, 2003, 20:14   #60
Kramerman
Prince

i think nazi symbols are neat. i think the heil is a neat salute. that doent mean i like what the nazis made those symbols stand for