Old August 10, 2003, 14:23   #1
skuzzy
Settler

Local Time: 02:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
General Overall Problems
I just started playing the game recently, such as the past couple weeks... I started out oblivious like I always do and played a few games on simple mode to get a better understanding of the game. I moved on for a couple games in Monarch and had no problems. And the game is much more war oriented than Civ2 so it's been a big change with the AI. I jump right to Deity so I can get a real grasp on the game but after a lot of games I still fail to accomplish anything. I get out wondered, out built, out teched, out armed, outright pwned. After reading the forums the last couple days and learning to out tech the AI is impossible on harder levels of play my strategy is early peaceful expansion and try to build up my units when all my territory is filled. But eventually I fall so far behind it's impossible to catch up. I am too stubborn to move from Deity to Emperor (I guess it's just because I was so easily able to crush the AI on Deity with Civ2) but in anycase for you experienced players what would you suggest I do. Does anyone really play Deity? Oh, by the way I'm using 1.21f if that helps anything.
Old August 10, 2003, 14:26   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 03:10
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
skuzzy, try poking around here:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=59216
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 10, 2003, 15:14   #3
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:10
The AI cheats on higher levels.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old August 10, 2003, 15:47   #4
ToeTruck
Warlord

Skuzzy:

Yeah, you're right. Civ3 is far harder at Deity than Civ2 was, but it is still beatable...and not just on that perfect game with the perfect starting position.

There are a lot of good articles out there; Theseus' link is a great place to start.

I, myself, lean towards the builder approach and love the challenge of Civ3, but I also play warmonger, too.

My best advice would be to forget everything you learned about Civ2 and start fresh. And...don't be afraid to back off Deity for a game or two. Even Emperor is quite the challenge.

- TT
Old August 10, 2003, 16:35   #5
WarpStorm
King

There is no shame in playing at less than Diety (or the new upcoming Sid Level).
Old August 10, 2003, 16:43   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yes, forget CivII is was just too easy to beat.
You must expand much faster in CivIII to have enough land of different types to have a shot at all of the resources you need and luxs.

The AI does not cheat, it has some handicaps. Namely it starts with 12 extra units an extra settler and other types at Deity. It gets a break on free maint for units as well. It also as a build in trade aid.

The AI is the same for Monarch as it is for the other levels above as far as how it plays. The AI knows the make up of the land from the start and where resources will appear, this is true at all levels.

You will not be able to drop a strong unit in a city and hold off all comers in CivIII, unlike CivII. This has lots of factors, but two are that in a stack only the top unit is lost in a battle, instead of the whole stack. The other is the walls are not so strong and in fact do nothing in large cities (depending on patch level).

Peaceful wins are possible, but no reason to go that route, you can war and build and go back and forth.
You must trade and make contacts, you must get your share of land and you need to have enough troop strength to keep the AI from bullying you.
Old August 10, 2003, 16:45   #7
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
There is no shame in playing at less than Diety (or the new upcoming Sid Level).
Not only no shame, deity is not even fun IMO. It is too much work most of the time.
Old August 11, 2003, 00:16   #8
skuzzy
Settler

Thanks everyone and especially Theseus for taking the time to archive all of that junk -.- Anyways I suppose some sort of token for your generousity can be I pwn the AI on Emperor? Hehe, anyways thanks again
Old August 11, 2003, 00:41   #9
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 23:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You must be a natural at Civ. I have had the game since Christmas of 2001 and I am only on Regent, and I have a hard time keeping up with the computeon tech even when I am a very large nation.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old August 11, 2003, 07:53   #10
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 08:10
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1

The AI does not cheat, it has some handicaps. Namely it starts with 12 extra units an extra settler and other types at Deity. It gets a break on free maint for units as well. It also as a build in trade aid.

The AI is the same for Monarch as it is for the other levels above as far as how it plays. The AI knows the make up of the land from the start and where resources will appear, this is true at all levels.
Well, I consider this cheating too.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old August 11, 2003, 07:54   #11
Fatwreck
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 09:10
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
You must be a natural at Civ. I have had the game since Christmas of 2001 and I am only on Regent, and I have a hard time keeping up with the computeon tech even when I am a very large nation.
was civ3 your first civ-style game?
Old August 11, 2003, 10:02   #12
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 12:40
civ3 is much harder than civ2.... infact civ2 strategies don't work too well in civ3... which is why its rather nice...
Old August 11, 2003, 12:03   #13
johncmcleod
Prince

Before civ3 the only strategy games I had played were a few RTS. The only TBS game I had ever played was Panzer General 2. I am also young for a civ player.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old August 11, 2003, 12:15   #14
vmxa1
Deity

Hagbart, you can do that, but it is not proper to call it cheating. Cheating is when you do something that is not part of the set of rules layed down at the start of the event.
These are called spots or handicaps. Players at Deity are saying were are good enough to beat the AI, so we will give it a spot to make it fair. The spots are documented.
Old August 11, 2003, 13:08   #15
johncmcleod
Prince

Quote:
Hagbart, you can do that, but it is not proper to call it cheating. Cheating is when you do something that is not part of the set of rules layed down at the start of the event.
These are called spots or handicaps. Players at Deity are saying were are good enough to beat the AI, so we will give it a spot to make it fair. The spots are documented.
So does that mean that at the games at carnivals the carnies aren't cheating when they rig the games? You have to watch out for them carnies. They're clever folk.
Old August 11, 2003, 14:01   #16
vmxa1
Deity

If they are rigging the contest, they are cheating as they are stating a proposition without the full disclosure of facts.
Old August 11, 2003, 14:33   #17
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 01:10
i have found that the way to win the higher difficulty levels is simply surviving to the industrial age. on deity i am unable to build any wonders until industrial age. if you can at least be equal with the ai in tech at that point go for industrialization first, and don't trade it...

the ai is completely incapable of taking advantage of factories or railroads. take advantage of that.
Old August 11, 2003, 15:16   #18
gunkulator
Prince

The biggest adjustment I had to make going from CivII to CivIII is the unpredictability of combat. In CivII you just knew that your Cavalry would defeat a Musketeer. Not so in III. There are no more Howitzers, Spies or other killer units in this game.
Old August 12, 2003, 08:00   #19
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 07:10
Oh yes - the combat system in CivIII SUCKS, let's not make any bones about it.
Old August 12, 2003, 18:21   #20
ToeTruck
Warlord

I like Civ3 combat...
Getting rid of Zones of Control and that silly "destroy the whole stack" rule (I once destroyed a stack of 54! Pikemen) are superb improvements over Civ2.

Yeah, sometimes a Spearman beats a Tank, but that is way rare. And, yeah, bombardment takes a little getting used to, but overall the combat system is excellent.

That's what I think.

- TT
Old August 12, 2003, 19:58   #21
vmxa1
Deity

I'mwith you ToeTruck. I hate ZoC and stack killing. Super city with walls stopping anything the AI sent at you. Not nearly as bad as a few bad beats in CivIII.
Old August 13, 2003, 06:13   #22
David Murray
Prince

Agree wholeheartedly that CivIII combat beats CivII by a mile. However, while IME a spearman never beats a tank (the odds are truly miniscule under any other circumstances than when the spearman is elite and the tank has only 1 hit point left), fortified spearmen in cities quite often beat cavalry. Musketmen fortified in cities are quite nasty too. I don't think that old fashioned units should be allowed to have such a moderate chance of beating an offensive unit designed to take on riflemen.

The one thing that needs to be brought back from CivII and refined is the idea that old units simply don't have much of a chance of beating newer ones. I *think* it was called firepower in Civ2. For example, there's almost no conceivable way a spearman or pikeman can beat pre-industrial age cavalry armed with horses and rifles. How could they - unless they chucked their spears?

I believe I read somewhere that like something firepower is coming to Conquests, something which stops things being so wildly random. Can't wait!
Old August 13, 2003, 11:29   #23
Gufnork
Prince

Well, if you hide in a city it's not that hard to kill someone riding in, even if he has a musket. Especially when better trained. You need line of sight to fire those things and cities has a lot of places to hide. So does mountains. I've never lost a cav to a spearman on open field so I don't find it illogical at all.
Old August 13, 2003, 12:09   #24
vmxa1
Deity

I always felt that FP should have been added to smooth out the rough edges. I am not one of those that wants to see much weaker units win any battles. It should be doable, but I should not see it more than once every few games. It should be a huge surprise. The RNG provides a large swing and FP can antenuate it a bit.
Firaxis felt that ancient units needed to have a chance to win to keep civs in the game that were way behind. I think this is misguided and flat out wrong. If they are that far behind, let them lose.
Old August 13, 2003, 18:17   #25
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 09:10
Quote:
Originally posted by David Murray
Agree wholeheartedly that CivIII combat beats CivII by a mile. However, while IME a spearman never beats a tank (the odds are truly miniscule under any other circumstances than when the spearman is elite and the tank has only 1 hit point left), fortified spearmen in cities quite often beat cavalry. Musketmen fortified in cities are quite nasty too. I don't think that old fashioned units should be allowed to have such a moderate chance of beating an offensive unit designed to take on riflemen.

The one thing that needs to be brought back from CivII and refined is the idea that old units simply don't have much of a chance of beating newer ones. I *think* it was called firepower in Civ2. For example, there's almost no conceivable way a spearman or pikeman can beat pre-industrial age cavalry armed with horses and rifles. How could they - unless they chucked their spears?

I believe I read somewhere that like something firepower is coming to Conquests, something which stops things being so wildly random. Can't wait!
hi ,

spearman where used well into the 18th cen , .......

they where still deadly to horses , ......

have a nice day
Old August 13, 2003, 18:55   #26
ToeTruck
Warlord

I agree with panag...

Sitting here in the comfort of my office chair, I see no reason why a Spearman with a really long pointy stick shouldn't every now and then kill a charging horse whether it is the basis of a Horseman or a Cavalry. The underlying technology (the horse) is vulnerable to long pointy sticks.

And, I also agree with David Murray and vmxa1...

Firepower would certainly smooth the rough edges, at least in the extreme cases. While I can envision a long pointy stick possibly killing a horse, it is much harder to envision the same technology defeating a metal shelled Tank. Yep, might happen, but shouldn't very often.

And, I have my own concerns...

As long as firepower is implemented to eliminate the extreme abuses, I'm all for it. If, however, it means that any technology that is only a minor improvement on the previous technology will always win in combat, I am opposed.

In other words, Cavalry and Riflemen shouldn't always defeat Knights, Medieval Infantry, and Pikemen, and even occasionally Spearmen and Swordsmen. Tanks shouldn't always defeat Infantry and Geurrillas (and they don't), but they also shouldn't always defeat Riflemen and Musketmen.

Quote:
Firaxis felt that ancient units needed to have a chance to win to keep civs in the game that were way behind. I think this is misguided and flat out wrong. If they are that far behind, let them lose.
Are you sure, vmxa1, that this was Firaxis' reason? If so, I agree that it is misguided. However, I do believe there is gameplay value in the uncertainty of the current system. Under Civ2, it was way to easy to *know* you would win. Where's the gameplay fun in having that knowledge?

One of the reasons I play Civ3 is because I don't know. At least not yet. The longer it takes me to master a game (and I'm a ways away with Civ3), the more I will play.

That's where I'm at.

-TT