Old August 10, 2003, 19:33   #1
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 03:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Futurama Series Finale
It had a bit of a weak, by the numbers beginning, I thought, but it quickly developed , reaching it's comedic peak with the introduction of decadent bot. The ending was extremely touching, cute, and worthy of such a great show. What did you think?
Albert Speer
Old August 10, 2003, 19:34   #2
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Another example of not enough hype by Fox... dammit I missed it... though I'm sure Cartoon Network will show it.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 10, 2003, 19:49   #3
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Eventually! You've got a long time to wait, buddy! I only knew about it because someone gave me the heads up online...

It's like Fox wanted the show to die, and I hear that's what they actually wanted, because they felt the Groening was getting too powerful by having artistic freedom because of his simpsons success...
Albert Speer
Old August 10, 2003, 19:52   #4
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Eh, I can wait a long time, I still have plenty of shows to see .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old August 10, 2003, 19:59   #5
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 07:10
shame really, they have let simpons run to long and its getting a bit stale and repetetive.

mind you, futurama ending early like that will make sure it wuit while it was ahead and in 30yrs or osmething be bigger then simpsons
Old August 10, 2003, 20:00   #6
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Naw, I doubt that. The Simpsons will always be seen as bigger, no matter how long it drolls on.
Old August 10, 2003, 23:33   #7
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 02:10
weak finale. weak.
Old August 10, 2003, 23:40   #8
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Yeah I've noticed a hatred of any form of culture with at least a smidgen of emotional content in your character Uber KruX, I can't say I'm surprised.
Albert Speer
Old August 10, 2003, 23:43   #9
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I thought the finale was really good. Not the best episode of all, but still good, and a fitting episode for the finale.

Fox is the devil.
Old August 10, 2003, 23:50   #10
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The weakest finale ever was the X Files finale.

Mis Novias
Old August 11, 2003, 00:05   #11
Lonestar
inmate
King

I can't believed I missed it. Fox can bite my shiny metal ass.
Old August 11, 2003, 00:26   #12
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I watched it and I didn't even know it was the finale.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old August 11, 2003, 00:45   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
I can't believed I missed it. Fox can bite my shiny metal ass.
bite my shiny metal... uh oh!
Old August 11, 2003, 00:48   #14
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 01:10
Terrible...musicals and comedies do not mix.
Old August 11, 2003, 01:02   #15
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:10
Someone obviously hasn't seen Cannibal the Musical.
Old August 11, 2003, 01:46   #16
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Terrible...musicals and comedies do not mix.
especially cheesy musicals with stupid lyrics. it would have been funny if it wasn't so horrible.
Old August 11, 2003, 01:46   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 00:10
finale?

The episode they showed tonight was the one where Fry does the Operay or something

Are you telling me that is the finale?
Old August 11, 2003, 02:07   #18
tinyp3nis
Prince

Local Time: 10:10
Was family guy on Fox? Wasn't it also cut off too fast?
Old August 11, 2003, 09:39   #19
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Fox kills shows that do well. I could list them all but just listing Family Guy, Futurama, John Doe, and Grounded for Life should get the point across. There was an interesting article with Chris Carter where he theorized that the X-Files would have never been given a chance on today's Fox. They have a notorious habit of killing the good shows that are developing followings in order to make room for shows like Boston Public and Oliver Beene. Fox sucks, they'll always suck, and I hope their executives all get hit by a truck full of chicken guts.

But I'm not bitter or anything.
Old August 11, 2003, 09:44   #20
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Fox does suck the big one. Firefly is another example. This show was developing a cult following even though FOX REFUSED TO SHOW IT IN ORDER! That's right, they took the season and basically showed in random order, so the story from week to week made little sense, and people still watched it because it was pretty cool.

Frankly I think the best place for new, more off kilter, shows to shine these days is on the USA network on cable. They have let some great shows like 'Monk' and 'The Dead Zone' flourish, and I think some of these shows on Fox would have been better served there.
Old August 11, 2003, 10:25   #21
Harry Seldon
King

Don't forget REFUSED TO ADVERTISE. Firefly and John Doe received almost no advertising while shows like Boston Public and Fast Lane had eight commercials a piece per commercial break. Of course people aren't going to watch a show if they don't even know it's on. Futurama suffered the same fate. They bounced it all over the schedule, never advertised it, then left it on the chopping block until everyone thought it was cancelled.
Old August 11, 2003, 10:33   #22
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Seldon
Don't forget REFUSED TO ADVERTISE. Firefly and John Doe received almost no advertising while shows like Boston Public and Fast Lane had eight commercials a piece per commercial break. Of course people aren't going to watch a show if they don't even know it's on. Futurama suffered the same fate. They bounced it all over the schedule, never advertised it, then left it on the chopping block until everyone thought it was cancelled.
Exactly. Not to mention that Futurama was always being pre-empted by football or other stuff (not that I dislike football. )

Fox executives can kill a good show with both eyes closed and one hand behind their back... and for what? Joe Millionaire 2? More Oliver Beene? A full hour of Banzai?
Old August 11, 2003, 11:51   #23
Q Classic
Emperor

banzai sucks. it's a one-trick pony, and after you laugh at the one episode you see, you needn't watch it again, since you've seen them all.

i don't understand how little self-respect the asian actors can have playing it... ah, well. we're confined to bit parts anyway, so i suppose one show is better than no show.
Old August 11, 2003, 12:10   #24
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Futurama and The Family Guy were highly overrated by you people. Futurama might be a good way to kill brain cells, but The Family Guy sucked after the initial five episodes.

As for Fox, maybe Murdock is trying to use it as a tax shelter, so they have to kcik off good shows to keep from making money.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 11, 2003, 12:24   #25
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Futurama was great. It's a shame that I missed it.

Banzai is pretty funny if you ignore the marginalisation of an entire peoples. It's supposed to be a "parody" of Japanese game shows. I think FOX should be able to show whatever they want, being that they are a company, and companies are in the business of making ratings / money.

All Fox News guys, however, should be summarily executed.
Old August 11, 2003, 14:24   #26
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
The Family Guy sucked after the initial five episodes.
BLASPAMY! Kill the commie!

Family Guy rocks!
Old August 11, 2003, 14:58   #27
Harry Seldon
King

"Dad........Eight is enough!"

"...so I beat my kid with a garden hose until my arm got tired. Then I came here."
Old August 11, 2003, 15:29   #28
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

I hate to see Futurama go, but let's face facts here: that show was hyped to hell and back when it first came out and it still never broke out. It was never going to develop more than a cult following.

As far as cancelling it because Groening was getting to powerful, that's just internet gossip, I'm sure. More likely they kept the show running for another two years after it failed to pan out just to keep Groening happy.

The X-Files wouldn't be given a chance today because the last three or four seasons of X-Files stunk like an outhouse in August. The series finale was a horrible setup to what I am sure will be a second horrible X-Files movie.

Firefly was never going to develop more than a cult folowing either because TV is glutted with bad sci-fi now, and Firefly was not a great sci-fi show to begin with. Showing them out of order probably helped the show more than it hurt.

Banzai is just crap and I cannot understand the studio executive who greenlighted this as something worth investing so much advertising space in. Probably they figure kids' Sunday doses of ritalin will be wearing off right about the time the show comes on and it will be a hit.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: John Doe was basically a poor rip off of a much better show from a few years back called The Pretender, which wasn't that original to begin with. John Doe was doomed from the start.

Family Guy of course rocked.!
Old August 11, 2003, 16:05   #29
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:10
Quote:
"Dad........Eight is enough!"

"...so I beat my kid with a garden hose until my arm got tired. Then I came here."
"Tell your wife to come to me for some boom-sha-ka-la-ka-la-ka-boom-sha-ka-la-ka-la-ka-boom-sha-ka-la-ka-la-ka-boom"

"I love this love more than anything, including taffy. And I'm a man who enjoys his taffy. Mmmmh... ohhhh... mmmm..."

"That's what they said about Benjamin Disraeli!" "You don't even know who I am!"
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old August 11, 2003, 16:06   #30
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 00:10
sadly, commies don't know good animated comedy.

It's a shame