DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 08:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Maybe that was GP's plan all along.
Old August 21, 2003, 11:43   #92
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 02:11
Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18

Eh, I'll vouch for Panag. We have shared productive PM's.

Oh, and DanQ,

Canadians do tend to make good comedians.

Is the productive PM comment another one of those famous Canadian jokes?
Old August 21, 2003, 12:21   #93
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower

Well I certainly laughed.
Old August 21, 2003, 12:56   #94
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 09:11
Anyone who learns to speak Nederlands gets from me
Old August 21, 2003, 15:35   #95
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 03:11
Quote:
Originally posted by DanQ
Unfortunately, the upgrade has not yet been completed as the memory type we have on order has not been in stock since our upgrade request was placed. Based on the information that RS has provided, the memory should arrive no later than the end of this week. There is, however, no guarantee that this timeline will not be extended.
Would it be any trouble to keep us informed as to the status of this, i.e. the ram is still shipping or it's now here...

Quote:
That said, once the memory arrives and a RS technician begins the task of upgrading "Settler II"`s memory, the process should take no more than fifteen minutes.
I take it that the upgrade install might not be on the same day as the receiving of the Ram?

E_T
Old August 21, 2003, 20:28   #96
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Return to GAMESTATS!!!!
Old August 21, 2003, 23:06   #97
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by TCO

so Settler 2 was actually WEAKER than Settler1 in RAM, no? Did you share that info with us at the time?
Yes, "Settler II" was and still has less RAM installed than "Settler I" did. I believe I made that quite clear in my open letter and the reasons around it.

Here's a reference to an earlier mention of this fact: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...21#post1940121

Quote:
Originally posted by E_T

Would it be any trouble to keep us informed as to the status of this, i.e. the ram is still shipping or it's now here...

I take it that the upgrade install might not be on the same day as the receiving of the Ram?

E_T
First, yes the day RackShack (RS) receives the memory sticks may be different (i.e. earlier) than the day Apolyton's server is upgraded with it. As for keeping everyone up-to-date on the latest developments on this front, it may be difficult/inefficient depending upon how fast the turnover is from memory arriving and installation based on general timeline, RS informing us, online availability and so forth. Whatever the case, we will certainly do our best.

-----------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 22, 2003, 04:17   #98
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:11
Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Surely branching threads would solve all of our problems.
Stop trolling the troll!!

Argghhh, meta-trolling!!
Old August 22, 2003, 10:37   #99
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Seeing as I can't post a PM to resolve the conflict...

No, I do that fairly often, by addressing a post to two different people, I arrive at a general theme much better than intended.
Old August 25, 2003, 23:34   #100
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

See the "Open Letter From The Administration (2)" news post at http://apolyton.net/about or as a forum announcement at http://apolyton.net/forums/announcem...?s=&forumid=31 for the latest related discussion.

----------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 26, 2003, 08:07   #101
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Thanks for the update.
Old August 26, 2003, 14:05   #102
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 00:11
Quote:
Originally posted by alva
So what's going to happen when a couple of thousand new members sign up and dissabling the avatars won't cut it anymore?
The solution is to go to a multiserver system. That will cost $$$$ but the only alternative is to find a way to limit the amount of activity.

edit: Opps, I just read Danq's post right before mine. I guess we have a software problem.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.

Last edited by Oerdin; August 26, 2003 at 14:13.
Old August 26, 2003, 15:31   #103
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

DanQ, thank you for all your efforts, especially for keeping us up to date with what is going on

Not knowing the whole story I can not say anything really relevant , but it is my opinion that you need to take a firmer approach with RackShack. They do not seem very professional. How in hell can a service provider run out of memory?

Also, the software issue, if it is a part of their service then you should really find another provider. If it is your own fault, ah well, **** happens and I hope you fix it soon
Old August 27, 2003, 23:56   #104
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

See the "Memory Upgrade Completed" news post at http://apolyton.net/about or as a forum announcement at http://apolyton.net/forums/announcem...?s=&forumid=31 for the latest related discussion.

Quote:
Originally posted by VetLegion
DanQ, thank you for all your efforts, especially for keeping us up to date with what is going on

[..]

Also, the software issue, if it is a part of their service then you should really find another provider. If it is your own fault, ah well, **** happens and I hope you fix it soon
You're welcome, re: updates, and to those who have expressed similar thanks to date. As for the monitoring software issue, it is a problem of our "own" as it was installed and setup by us.

----------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 28, 2003, 00:34   #105
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TCO
Asher was right last time he said that the server needed more RAM or processor or whatever (long time ago). I put my money on him. Dan and Mark, but especially Dan, tend to have very clueless troubleshooting. Anybody remember all the asking posters to run tracert, when its friggin obvious that the problem was not at the user or net level. But only at poly.
From Dan's letter today:
Quote:
xAlthough it was some time coming [related story] "Settler II", the name assigned to Apolyton Civilization Site`s (ACS) server, was upgraded by host RackShack earlier this evening with an additional 1GB of memory installed on top of the existing and initial 512MB set. "Settler II"`s total installed memory then is now 1.5GB.

From on/around 4:06PM until on/around 6:53PM Apolyton Time (EDT) this evening "Settler II" refused any and all HTTP (World Wide Web) service requests; in other words, these requests were received, processed and rejected by `Settler II`. The total downtime was around 2 3/4 hours, and based on a message received by the Apolyton CS administration from RS to the effect above the downtime was likely at least in part if not in whole the result of the memory upgrade. As is evident by this message being publicly read, HTTP services are again in working order.
So who's clueless TCO??

Thanks Dan for all you do!! When are we going to see the subscriptions to help finance the upgrades?
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old August 28, 2003, 03:30   #106
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Hopefully... this will solve the problems.
Old August 28, 2003, 04:13   #107
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 19:11
PLATO; You haven't a clue. Despite the fact Dan and Markos deserves every single gram of praise they gets, people have been calling for more RAM since Settler II was released. However...

Markos said this back in July: (IRC transcript)
[19:03] [ACS_MarkG] we're also geting some memory(i'll announce it when the forums are back in a while)
[19:03] * java4me (~Java_user@dt088n7a.san.rr.com) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
[19:04] * Frozzy looks up and praises the lord
[19:04] [Frozzy] This is absolutely great news!!!
[19:04] [Frozzy] I'm overjoyed
[19:04] [Frozzy] Will it be 1GB+?
[19:05] [ACS_MarkG] the total will be 1.5g. we're not totally sure it will solve all problems but it will help
[19:06] [Frozzy] You'll shut Asuka up, thats for sure!
[19:06] [ACS_MarkG] ?? i havent read everything, what has he been saying?
[19:07] * Frozzy points to the dozen or so posts in the A/C forum pointing out the dozen or so reasons Poly keeps going down.
[19:07] [Frozzy] Mainly he's been moaning (from Settler II's introduction) that it doesn't have enouth RAM
[19:07] [Frozzy] *enough
[19:09] [ACS_MarkG] well i can assure i hadnt read asuka's posts before taking the decision

You can look at the threads from Settler II's introduction. Everyone who had an idea about technical gobbledegook were concerned about only 512MB of RAM. I am sure Dan and Markos knew this aswell, and knew they were treading a fine wire. Here's a hypothetical situation for all you admin-bashers: Try working your PC when it is half-way around the world. And as RackShack are a commercial corporation, naturally getitng anything done is slow.

It's taken long enough to sort it out, I'll say that. But again, I take my hat off to the admins in this difficult time.
Old August 28, 2003, 06:31   #108
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
You'll shut Asuka up, thats for sure!
Oh you bet I won't. I have listed quite many things that would help to improve the situation, you little backstabber. More RAM isn't the only thing that should be done for a longterm improvement.
Old August 28, 2003, 08:36   #109
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

You're right Frozzy...I haven't a clue. I was refering to the insinuation that Markos and Dan provided clueless solutions. I believe they do a pretty darn good job.
Old August 28, 2003, 08:42   #110
DrSpike
Deity

Yeah I noticed that you both seemed to be making similar points. Not sure what was up with that.
Old August 28, 2003, 20:48   #111
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO

Thanks Dan for all you do!! When are we going to see the subscriptions to help finance the upgrades?
Thank you for the kind words, PLATO. I cannot appropriately commit on any timeline still on subscription services plans, as much as I would like to be able to. What I mean by "appropriately" is that while I could certain spew a date or two, a month or two to this end now, it wouldn't be fair of me to do so at this point.

On a related point, see the "Open Letter From The Administration" newspost at http://apolyton.net/about for discussion on why 'Settler II' only had 512MB RAM installed at its start-up.

----------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 28, 2003, 21:23   #112
PLATO
Emperor

No problem Dan. The words were earned not given. I do have a question or two.

Quote:
On a related note, in early June RS increased the monthly bandwidth allotment on "Settler II" to ~117% of what had been available previously with "Settler I
and

Quote:
"Settler II"`s total installed memory then is now 1.5GB.
leads me to ask: Why are we still seeing problems? Or more to the point: What needs to be fixed and when can we fix it?

and just one more:

Can the financial health of the site stand the work that needs to be done?
Old August 28, 2003, 22:48   #113
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO

Why are we still seeing problems? Or more to the point: What needs to be fixed and when can we fix it?

[..]

Can the financial health of the site stand the work that needs to be done?
The answer to both questions above is combined: there has been and continues to be a malfunction in the monitoring software on "Settler II". See the "Open Letter To The Administration (2)" newspost at http://apolyton.net/about for related discussion.

----------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 29, 2003, 00:24   #114
PLATO
Emperor

The article you referenced me to does a great job of telling us that the problem is being worked on. The issue appears to be one of identifying where the software glitch is. As many people have referenced, the software has had many additions and modifications. It is surely understandable that tracking down a problem of this nature will take time. Good Luck finding the problem.
Old August 29, 2003, 01:01   #115
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 19:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Asuka
you little backstabber.
Sorry, mon ami, but quite a harsh comment in the utter wrong context isn't kosher now is it

I'm sure the definition calls for quite a different meaning.
Old August 29, 2003, 04:32   #116
VetLegion
Emperor

PLATO, can you point me to a thread where subscription models are discussed? I am interested at what ideas are being thrown around.
Old August 29, 2003, 04:34   #117
VetLegion
Emperor

Basicly I do know what they said about keeping the site free and charging extra tools or features. I support it wholeheartedly

I want to know have more specific prices, features or dates been arrived at.
Old August 29, 2003, 08:31   #118
PLATO
Emperor

No prob Vetlegion!

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=2

This is Dan's response on how access to the content of the site should not be affected and a couple of examples on what the subscription service would provide:

Quote:
I can certainly understand why some would view a subscription service here as creating "more than one class" of Apolyton user. Depending upon how it was setup, this could definitely be so; however, I believe that the crux of this consideration is whether or not access to content at least in part would be restricted to subscribers. As I have stated in the past and will gladly state again, any and all benefits from an Apolyton subscription service would be non-content related perks. The two examples I primarily highlight to illustrate this are ad disablement and increased private messaging storage space.
Dan also invited comments on our ideas for what we would like to see out of a subscription service in the same thread.
Old August 30, 2003, 12:32   #119
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

the pages load way faster now , all thats missing are the avatars

lets hope this is good till CIV IV

thanks Dan and Mark

have a nice day
Old August 30, 2003, 18:46   #120
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 01:11
50 cents a month gives OTF regulars the ability to create 3 threads per day instead of two.

That's an idea. And a lot will bite, even if they don't need the 3 threads, because the extra bandwidth etc. will be marginal in cost while the majority of the 50 cents would probably go to funding new bandwidth, machine, etc.

Right?