View Poll Results: whatcha like?
Squares 109 36.33%
Hexagons 160 53.33%
Octagons 17 5.67%
Other... please post. 14 4.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 17, 2004, 03:52   #121
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 09:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
do get me wrong... i strongly dislike the mouse for civ and only use it when i don't know the shortcuts, select a unit, or want to see how long it takes until a worker finishes.

but i'm sure many people DO rely on the mouse for most of the game
Old May 17, 2004, 05:29   #122
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:11
Which is all well and good, but square-type doesn't really affect people using the mouse. Its really an issue where keyboard movement is concerned, and there hexes are clearly superior.
Old May 17, 2004, 05:33   #123
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 17:11
as an old board war gamer i do prefer the hexes......
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 08:51   #124
Max Sinister
Warlord

Local Time: 07:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Leland
Not quite regular. In a geodesic sphere for example the triangles are only approximately regular (i.e. every angle is not exactly 60 degrees). On the other hand, dodecahedron for example consists of "non-distorted" regular triangles.
Nitpick (geometry):
1. Yes, triangles on a sphere have angles bigger than 60 degrees, but it also depends upon the size of them: A triangle covering one eighth of the surface would have 90 degree angles, but if we have a sphere covered with several thousand or even ten thousand triangles, the difference wouldn't be noticable.
2. Don't you mean icosahedron? I think a dodecahedron has twelve pentagons, an icosahedron has 20 triangles as its sides.
Max Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 20:28   #125
Leland
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Sinister
Nitpick (geometry):
1. Yes, triangles on a sphere have angles bigger than 60 degrees, but it also depends upon the size of them: A triangle covering one eighth of the surface would have 90 degree angles, but if we have a sphere covered with several thousand or even ten thousand triangles, the difference wouldn't be noticable.
Ah, but you have the pentagons (or the points around which you have only five triangles instead of six) to mess things up. The tiles next to the pentagons will always be distorted noticeably and you can't get away with this. The tiles farthest away from the pentagons (i.e. the tiles that are in the center of the hexagonal sides of the "soccer ball") will be more or less regular.

The difference between adjacent tiles might not be big enough to be an annoyance to the player (in fact I would love to see a game attempt a map like this), but nevertheless it would make map geometry complex enough to warrant a 3d or a vector based graphics engine.

Quote:
2. Don't you mean icosahedron? I think a dodecahedron has twelve pentagons, an icosahedron has 20 triangles as its sides.
I stand corrected.
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 22:46   #126
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 03:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
as an old board war gamer i do prefer the hexes......
here, here! I love the 'ole war games!

I seem to failing this Geometry 101 in the thread.
Old May 19, 2004, 02:34   #127
Vince278
King

Quote:
Not quite regular. In a geodesic sphere for example the triangles are only approximately regular (i.e. every angle is not exactly 60 degrees). On the other hand, dodecahedron for example consists of "non-distorted" regular triangles.
Its possible to have equilateral triangles whose angles are greater than 180 degrees. I realize this is non-euclidean but its the only way to get triangles to work on the surface of a sphere.

(SG - Hows that for Geometry 101? )
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 05:21   #128
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

spherical geometry makes everything a bit more complicated than "simple" 2D-geometry

but it partially explains things like why pilots fly transatlantic routes by flying over nova scotia (icy big icy canadian island). (the other reason is global winds)
Old May 19, 2004, 07:09   #129
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278

(SG - Hows that for Geometry 101? )

I think I'll start a thread about how Calculus can be applied to Civ.

Seriously, this is an interesting thread. I hope someone from Firaxis is reading this.
Old May 19, 2004, 21:45   #130
Leland
Prince

Quote:

Its possible to have equilateral triangles whose angles are greater than 180 degrees. I realize this is non-euclidean but its the only way to get triangles to work on the surface of a sphere.
True, but the point was not to draw triangles on spheres, but rather how to approximate a sphere with triangles (or penta-/hexagons which can always be thought of as consisting of triangles).

With non-euclidean geometries we could have heptagonal maps and other neat things though...
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 23:52   #131
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
Seriously, this is an interesting thread. I hope someone from Firaxis is reading this.
I agree, I hope they are watching too. There are alot of interesting thoughts here.
(Thanks for the interesting use of my favorite smilie: )
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
Old May 20, 2004, 00:06   #132
Vince278
King

Quote:
With non-euclidean geometries we could have heptagonal maps and other neat things though...
Heptagonal maps? Not sure how you're going to pull that one off without the world looking like Cthulhu's R'lyeh.

How about something like duodecahedral mapping? You'd have to be able to visualize objects in the fourth dimension use fully utilize that.
(In other words, we typically use a two dimensional object (a map) to represent a three dimensional object (a world). This is just using a three dimensional object to represent a fourth dimensional object. I wouldn't recommend this for Civ or anything else unless we are trying to model the universe. )
Old May 20, 2004, 05:32   #133
sabrewolf
Emperor

Quote:
I agree, I hope they are watching too. There are alot of interesting thoughts here.
(Thanks for the interesting use of my favorite smilie: )
even if they are looking, CivIV is fully in production, so whatever has been decided (probably civ3-like squares anyway) is now fixed
Old May 20, 2004, 05:46   #134
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
even if they are looking, CivIV is fully in production, so whatever has been decided (probably civ3-like squares anyway) is now fixed
Too early to start a thread for Civ V?
Old May 20, 2004, 06:32   #135
sabrewolf
Emperor

Old May 20, 2004, 10:52   #136
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 02:11
Quote:
You are wrong, sorry. A ball like shape can be made with regular hexagons and 12 regular pentagons.
Have you switched to Firefox yet?
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 08:08   #137
Max Sinister
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
I don't know what they decided, but... maybe they'll make an isometric 3D world like in Sim City 2000? Which you can rotate, too?
Max Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 08:23   #138
sabrewolf
Emperor

the worst firaxis could do, would be to incorporate 3D-stuff (except a slightly different angle of view).
3D killed games like prince of persia, railroad tycoon, etc.

turn-based games are best and easiest to cope with, on tile-based games, no matter if hexagonal, square, diamond or whatever
Old May 21, 2004, 09:10   #139
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Quote:

Too early to start a thread for Civ V?
You will have to wait for me to start a BUG REPORT THREAD and CIV IV PATCH THREAD for Civ IV.
Old June 4, 2004, 18:31   #140
DrGerry
Spanish Civers
Deity

Local Time: 04:11
I really haven't read every post but I want to post a pic taked from the spanish forum, I think it's from freeciv. I've voted hexa.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	hex.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	74725  
Soporte a Linux o será baneado.
DrGerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2004, 19:45   #141
sabrewolf
Emperor

yeah, i once read that someone developed a hex style board for freeciv. but the problem was that east-west movement was still possible. you just "jumped" to the left or right field.

but ah... this wonderful hex maps :dream:
Old June 5, 2004, 00:05   #142
Vince278
King

Nice example. Improve the graphics and it will work for Civ. You can still do E-W movement with the "zig-zag". Hopping would be cheating if you count the actual distance covered.
Old June 5, 2004, 01:46   #143
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 00:11
Lets stick with squares!
Tassadar500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2004, 08:29   #144
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:11
Hex is better.
Old June 7, 2004, 21:02   #145
Vince278
King

Until they dare to do vector movement count me in as a hexy kind of guy.
Old June 9, 2004, 03:00   #146
Manolo
Spanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4WDG Spamyard TeamPSPB Team EspañolC4BtSDG Imperio
Deity

I think Hexagons is better
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2004, 15:12   #147
Addled Platypus
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMCall to Power PBEMCivilization IV PBEMBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 00:11
For squares

by a square

as stated prior all other civ games are squares

let the tradition live
Old June 12, 2004, 00:43   #148
Vince278
King

Lets give Hex-Civ a chance! (to paraphrase Lennon )
Old June 12, 2004, 02:57   #149
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

I'm also favoring hexes, it makes the gameplay a tad more strategic.
Old June 12, 2004, 16:28   #150
Xorbon
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Platypus Rex
For squares

by a square

as stated prior all other civ games are squares

let the tradition live
'Tradition' only counts when you've got two otherwise equal options, such as having a Mars Colony victory condition vs. an Alpha Centauri Colony victory condition. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. However, hexes would likely improve gameplay over squares. So...

GO HEXES!
Xorbon is offline   Reply With Quote