Old August 11, 2003, 08:07   #1
Sjaacko
Settler

Local Time: 08:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
CTP 1 and 2 not installing with XP
Hi all,

After a long time, I have decided to start playing the great CTP 1 and 2 games. But now I have a problem: either game does not even install under Windows XP.

I tried to run the setup program as Win98 but that did not work.

I get this message:"An unrecoverable has occurred in the Civilization: Call to Power Setup program. Please try installing again."

Yes "An unrecoverable has occurred..." The word "error" (I assume) is even missing here.

Has anyone an idea on how to solve this?

Sjaacko
Old August 11, 2003, 08:41   #2
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Hi Sjaacko,

are you sure you are loged in properly? You need to have administrative rights to do so.
Old August 11, 2003, 08:42   #3
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:11
Make sure you have administrator rights when installing the game. One way to do this is to boot in safemode (press F8 during boot and select 'Safe mode'/'Veilige modus' from the boot menu that appears) and to log in using the Administator account.
Old August 11, 2003, 11:22   #4
Sjaacko
Settler

Thanks for that advice, but I am sure I have all administrative rights. Installing other games and/or programs is no problem.

The thing is that CTP 1 makes it to 46% and CTP 2 to 52% complete installation.

Perhaps I will try to install the minium setup.

Sjaacko
Old August 12, 2003, 03:46   #5
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Might sound stupid, but are you sure you have enough HD-space?
It is also an uncompressed drive?
Old August 12, 2003, 05:43   #6
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 09:11
I am using Windows 2000 Pro and CtP2 refused to install itself on my secondary Hard Drive. If you are trying to install your CtP2 on D:, try C:.
Even then I had some troubles to install the game as there was a very long and strange lag around 98%. It seems the installation process was somehow unable to end adequately though there was no error message.

Some problems with older games can be solved by copying the whole content of the CD-ROM in a temporary folder and then installing the game from this temporary folder (you must sometimes modify a .ini file in the directory you have installed the game in so that the CD path is not the temporary folder but the CD-ROM reader you are using. IMO this is not the case with CtP2).

Hope it helps...
Old August 12, 2003, 14:37   #7
Sjaacko
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilgamensch
Might sound stupid, but are you sure you have enough HD-space?
It is also an uncompressed drive?
Space is no problem, around 40 Gb free, bot compressed.
I have succeded installing and playing CTP 2 with minimum install. The maximum install did not work.

CTP 1 however refuses to install, got stuck at 98% :-(

Sjaacko

Sjaacko
Old August 12, 2003, 14:39   #8
Sjaacko
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Tamerlin
I am using Windows 2000 Pro and CtP2 refused to install itself on my secondary Hard Drive. If you are trying to install your CtP2 on D:, try C:.
Even then I had some troubles to install the game as there was a very long and strange lag around 98%. It seems the installation process was somehow unable to end adequately though there was no error message.

Some problems with older games can be solved by copying the whole content of the CD-ROM in a temporary folder and then installing the game from this temporary folder (you must sometimes modify a .ini file in the directory you have installed the game in so that the CD path is not the temporary folder but the CD-ROM reader you are using. IMO this is not the case with CtP2).

Hope it helps...
I will try copuing the CD to the harddrive. I am indeed installing to D: and not C:

Another strange thing happened. My 40 speed CD ROM drive was reported too slow by the CTP 1 installer.

I have succesfully installed CTP 2 from my CD Burner thoug. CTP 1 still refuses to install.

Sjaacko