Old August 11, 2003, 08:56   #1
nuther
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Continents or Pangea
Which or is more of a challenge for the human player and which one is easier for the ai at Emporer and Diety level?

I'm thinking continents are harder for the human because you need to explore with ships before the ai does if you want to be competetive. You dont want those civs on the other land masses getting a head of you. Then to beat them, you need a naval force and a large invasion army.

On the other hand maybe the ai gets more of an advantage if they are all on the same land mass becuase they can find each other easier and trade easier sooner.
Old August 11, 2003, 09:19   #2
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 12:41
I'd say continents... adds the whole naval strategy into the game... pangea you can do with a land army only...
Old August 11, 2003, 09:27   #3
fittstim
Warlord

Local Time: 08:11
I don't know...there must be something wrong with my "Pangea" option because I always use it and I always have at least 2 huge continents separated by a large swath of water (need ocean going vessels) and 2-5 smaller islands...

Anyone else have this problem?

But to answer the question, I prefer the pangea because one gets the "wonder" benefits in all of the cities and not just the one's on the same continent (yes, I know I can change these rules in the editor...).

As to naval strategy, I think the system is pretty crappy. If you want to do anything with boats, stick to small worlds. Otherwise, you'll be taking 500 years to travel around the globe in your battleship.
Old August 11, 2003, 09:55   #4
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 12:41
hmm.... I've had that happen once in a while, but mostly I just get one huge continent and a few small islands
Old August 11, 2003, 21:12   #5
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 23:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I like playing on archipelago because it makes naval and air units more important (IMO they're not importnt enough). Back in civ3 you could prevent civs enemies from landing on your island until amphibious warfare, but now you just need to get the Vikings on your side.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old August 11, 2003, 22:39   #6
eric2075
Chieftain

Local Time: 02:11
fittstim, I have the same problem all the time and it's very annoying.
Old August 12, 2003, 07:54   #7
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 07:11
Quote:
Originally posted by fittstim
I don't know...there must be something wrong with my "Pangea" option because I always use it and I always have at least 2 huge continents separated by a large swath of water (need ocean going vessels) and 2-5 smaller islands...

Anyone else have this problem?
I always used to see that happen too, but it stopped for me after I installed 1.21f. Interestingly enough, there is a mention of 'improving' Pangaea generation in the readme for 1.21f ....