Old August 11, 2003, 20:50   #1
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 02:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Idea..submit your input.
This idea is not a new one, but I thought it was always a fun one. It will be a story in which each Apolytoner can write a part. That is, someone will start it off, then someone else will come and add a bit, etc. When the story goes out into left field and evolves into the physical emodiment of Off-Topic/Spam, then it can be ended.

The story line would follow the lives and happenings of the crew of a spaceship sent to Alpha Centauri.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Oh yeah, think Red Dwarf.
Old August 12, 2003, 11:59   #2
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 07:14
hmmmmm.........

Not a bad thought, I would help.

this is the (pure) idea to the neverending story though, bear that in mind. (It's been perverted a long way)
Old August 14, 2003, 08:26   #3
Zevico
Prince

Local Time: 17:14
Nice idea, I'd like to do it too
Old August 14, 2003, 15:07   #4
PresidentMarcos
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Warlord

Local Time: 23:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Count me in.
Old August 15, 2003, 08:19   #5
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Hmm. There will be a problem with this, the same problem with all multi author stories, that of conflict between authors. For example (using somthing completly out of context), you could say I have 100 tanks, marching on your capital, while your opponent could say "oh yeah? I have 500 Nuclear Missiles heading to your capital" and then you could say "I have an unbeatable SDI defence", and then they could say... It would just go on and on like this. That is, however, if the plot has not been decided.

If all the Authors can think up a common plot, which they all stick to, insted of making up the plot as they go along, this could create a great multiauthor story (for the reader, that is). That is, not just that the ship is going to Alpha Centuri, but all the twists, and turns, the love affairs and the feuds, the life threatening problems and the sucsesses all mapped out before the story is actully written, with a central moderator looking over the charicter development and plot progression, making it less fun for the authors writing the parts.

I, due to time restraints, and a massive Essay workload for this semester, will regretfully not take part in this story, but I wish you the best of luck in its writing, and hope that some of my sugestions can be used.
Old August 15, 2003, 11:32   #6
Verto
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Zalzabad
Hmm. There will be a problem with this, the same problem with all multi author stories, that of conflict between authors. For example (using somthing completly out of context), you could say I have 100 tanks, marching on your capital, while your opponent could say "oh yeah? I have 500 Nuclear Missiles heading to your capital" and then you could say "I have an unbeatable SDI defence", and then they could say... It would just go on and on like this. That is, however, if the plot has not been decided.
This really only happens during the SNES with the different authors competing against each other. I don't see that scenario happening, although certainly there will be different styles of writing and plot twists and complete nonsense thrown in. This just makes for more interesting reading.
Old August 15, 2003, 18:56   #7
Samuel Johnson
Warlord

Local Time: 03:14
We actually did this once before but people would kill off other people's characters.... see

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=49900

I still think it was a good start for a story but for some reason it died.
Old August 15, 2003, 18:57   #8
SKILORD
King

Quote:
If all the Authors can think up a common plot, which they all stick to, insted of making up the plot as they go along, this could create a great multiauthor story (for the reader, that is). That is, not just that the ship is going to Alpha Centuri, but all the twists, and turns, the love affairs and the feuds, the life threatening problems and the sucsesses all mapped out before the story is actully written, with a central moderator looking over the charicter development and plot progression, making it less fun for the authors writing the parts.
Perhaps have a basic plot, a reakl wireframe plot that is given to each author when he signs up. This lets them twist it as they please, as long as they keep the story.
Old August 15, 2003, 21:21   #9
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 01:14
Hmm...well, I'll be away once again for the next two weeks...

However, I do hope something happens here with this (and with my Ghosts stories, which I actually do intend to get done, time permitting...). After all, I might just get to roleplay the great man himself - Francis Urquhart!

On second thought, a wandering squid salesman might do me just fine...
Old August 16, 2003, 00:09   #10
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 03:14
I would like to contribute to this.
Old August 16, 2003, 11:52   #11
PresidentMarcos
Warlord

Plot idea: It is 120 years after Planetfall. Everyone has survived it, and now, all is prospering. The Believers, however, have been at war with the Zakharov-Morgan Federation ever since Day One of Year One. Now, a team of elite commandos have dicovered a relic of the Ancients that could tip the balance of the war in favor of the Zakharov-Morgan Federation. All they have to do is fight through over 120 divisions of Miriam's Army, Navy, and Air Force. And there are other factions trying to get the relic, too...
Old August 16, 2003, 12:23   #12
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 01:14
But President! That means having to go to the AC-Fiction Forum!

Why not a nice and brutal political intrigue satire bit? Huh?
Old August 16, 2003, 13:50   #13
PresidentMarcos
Warlord

There's always a bit of that. For instance, the President always spills his coffee when he drinks it. Miriam (or some other funny name) is a bible-whipper.
Old August 17, 2003, 03:53   #14
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 17:14
Ahhhh! It's the reincarnation of the Chiron Chronicles!

/me runs away screaming
Old August 17, 2003, 13:34   #15
SKILORD
King

I hope we get this going, so as to breathe a bit of life into the forum. Things are getting reaaaaaaaly slow here.
Old August 17, 2003, 23:37   #16
Verto
King

I will tentatively begin writing a short introduction/beginning, as soon as time permits. For now, I'll just right a few basic guidelines.

1.) Character, civilization, cultural, scientific, etc traits, must remain constant. If an individual's addition contains severe contradictions, the said individual will receive a warning, and the post will be corrected.

2.) Killing off a character is permitted, however, abuse of this allowance will have consequences. If you kill off a character, do so tastefully, and in a way that does not ruin the ongoing story, but adds to the plot depth and character development.

3.) Do not try to add anything that will have a negative or ruinous effect to the story. ie. "Out of nowhere, the ship blew up. The End" or "The ship was attacked by Mega-Super-Turbocharged Nuclear Missiles and everybody died."

4.) Most importantly: Use common sense in your posting. The entire purpose of this would be for FUN! It is a story in which everyone could contribute, and maybe bring more activity into the forum. Don't be a jerk by trying to ruin the story.
Old August 18, 2003, 18:20   #17
Verto
King

Introduction

It is the year 2006. The Kingdom of England, the Persian Protectorates, and the sprawling Japanese and Indian dominated Confederacy of Communist Republics have emerged as the dominant powers in the world, following the devastating Continental Wars of 1979-1991. Nuclear weapons have made entire continents desolate and uninhabitable, and turned great empires into specters of the past. This, combined with an ever growing population and a need for more resources, led the global powers into a Space Race, each attempting to gain a lead in exploring the last frontier. Following the failed launch of a spacecraft by the Persian Protectorate, the Kingdom of England began a crash program, assembling and training a crew of 300 men, women and children from every corner of the Kingdom, to make ready the Godspeed for launch on the 22nd of April, to Alpha Centauri.

I have to stop here, as I don't have time to write a proper beginning. I am just providing a brief introduction so everyone will know what kind of world our crew has been in, the situation in which our ship is being launched, etc. You may all wait for me to have the time to launch the ship(may be a while), or someone can (please) step in and launch our great vessel into the unknown!

Last edited by Verto; August 21, 2003 at 19:59.
Old August 20, 2003, 14:26   #18
PresidentMarcos
Warlord

In 1978, however, before the start of the Continental Wars, the US launched several hundred thousand people on a top secret expedition to Mars. There, the prospered. And bred like jackrabbits. Now, after 18 years, they are coming to Earth to reclaim what is theirs...

The probeship hurtled through the blackness of space at over 40,000 kilometers an hour. Inside, the crew was in suspended animation. When they reached Earth, they would awake. And so, it would begin...

A few thousand kilometers away, the British exploration ship was coming to a halt on the far side of the moon. Suddenly, one of the astronauts noted something on the radar screen...

Then, just as quickly as it had appeared, the probe disappered, plunging into the atmosphere and into the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of Britain...