Mis Novias
Old August 13, 2003, 23:36   #122
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
As Adam Smith has posted many times, to accound for 'environmental damage' of cars, it would only amount to about a .50 per gallon charge. There is no way that would price cars out of the range most Americans would be willing to pay.

I haven't seen his figures, but I can tell you he is underestimating. He cannot have included the cost of increased asthema in urban areas, contribution to global warming via CO2 emissions, and noise pollution caused by interstates in wilderness areas.

But hey, source those figures and I'll check into them.
Don't forget to add things such as the invasion of Iraq, the military presence in the Middle East and resulting terrorism...
Old August 15, 2003, 19:19   #123
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
SUVs sell like hotcakes in Los Angeles, which (1) is the 2nd largest city in the USA (2) never has snow (3) hardly ever has rain either and (4) has the worst air quality in the country.
Houston has the worst air quality in the country. LA has been steadily improving for the last 40 years.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 15, 2003, 19:20   #124
Oerdin
Deity

delete
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 15, 2003, 19:22   #125
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 02:14
Quote:
The American Lung Association's State of the Air 2002 report lists the Los Angeles metro area as the most heavily ozone-polluted metropolitan area in the country, followed by Bakersfield, Fresno and Visalia-Tulare-Porterville, Calif. The Houston-Galveston area ranks fifth among the worst 25 metro areas
Old August 15, 2003, 19:25   #126
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 07:14
I hate SUVs. Period.

Before 9/11 I was hoping some bio-terrorist group would start randomly assaulting SUVs along major highways in some kind of guerilla war and scare the soccer moms out of driving them.

But this that fateful day, I've amended that desire and have just settled for yelling obscenities out the window when some frosty-haired ass in a expedition daddy bought him decides he can cut me off without a problem.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old August 15, 2003, 19:26   #127
Oerdin
Deity

That study just deals with ozone. Let's see one with total particulate matter.
Old August 15, 2003, 19:30   #128
Verto
King

Quote:
Before 9/11 I was hoping some bio-terrorist group would start randomly assaulting SUVs along major highways in some kind of guerilla war and scare the soccer moms out of driving them.
Seek help. Now.

Quote:
That study just deals with ozone. Let's see one with total particulate matter.
I will not seek after information that could or could not contradict the information previously posted, that supports me.
Old August 15, 2003, 19:30   #129
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 10:14
I don't have $100 000.. SUVs are kind of expensive here.
and when it would cost in gas more than 4 euros per gallon.. nah. Not really much use here either, even with winter conditions. As we always have it, our roads and usually in relatively excellent condition.

Only reason I'd buy SUV is that I can afford it and lived in the US in area where I need the power of the car.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old August 15, 2003, 19:32   #130
Verto
King

Why can't we all just accept the fact that, yes, there are people driving SUVs who don't need them, but there are also people who DO need an SUV. Either way, you don't decide what other are allowed to buy. Despite what you may think.
Old August 15, 2003, 19:39   #131
Dom Pedro II
King

My uncle, in the typical Brazilian endeavor to become more American, decided to buy an SUV. He drove it for one week. Now, its decoration in his driveway. He said he couldn't stand how much money he was spending on gas (and he's got a mansion on the beach).

In a country where the best I've ever seen the gas is $1.29 per liter, its understandable.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old August 15, 2003, 19:40   #132
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:14
I ride trains and subways. I somehow intend to learn for my driver's licence in October, but I have no need for now. Edit: and I've lived in Suburbian areas my whole life.
Old August 15, 2003, 19:43   #133
Dom Pedro II
King

Quote:
Why can't we all just accept the fact that, yes, there are people driving SUVs who don't need them, but there are also people who DO need an SUV. Either way, you don't decide what other are allowed to buy. Despite what you may think.
Well, SUVs have moved far outside the realm of utility these days... I mean, there's hardly anything utilitarian about the newer luxury SUVs coming out. If somebody needs the cargo space and 4X4 power, then fine.... I know, there are people who do just like there are people who need tractors and pick up trucks and such...

But in the burbs, SUVs are not only wasteful, they're also dangerous. SUV drivers are dangerous drivers... they think they own the road, the power goes to their heads... and I'm hardly the only person who thinks so.

Old August 15, 2003, 22:51   #134
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Dom Pedro, is the gas in Brazil that you buy ethanol or petro?
Old August 15, 2003, 23:42   #135
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 03:14
Quote:
But in the burbs, SUVs are not only wasteful, they're also dangerous. SUV drivers are dangerous drivers... they think they own the road, the power goes to their heads... and I'm hardly the only person who thinks so.
So because you THINK they are dangerous means they are? . You know many people think women drivers are dangerous... I guess we should start a drive to outlaw them .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 15, 2003, 23:43   #136
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
yep

Mis Novias
Old August 16, 2003, 00:19   #137
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

I think SUV's are ugly.

Beware General car rant///

I do like pickup trucks tho. I had an F-150, but ill never buy another ford car again. There money traps. Even tho Ford owns Mazda, I can still tell a world of difference between the two its just way better engineering. I get everything changed on my 6 every 30,000 miles (except oil and brake). My F-150 fell apart every 5,000 needing new parts. lets see during the year and a half i owned it, new Transmission (MTX), Bearings, 3 Belts, PCV valve tranny fluid, Brake fluid, god everything. I hated driving that thing thinking back. I always had problems. One time I remember thinking i got a squid loose in my car or something this black ink stuff gushed out of my steering gap and into the passenger seat. Wasnt sure what the hell it was. AC sucked always getting blocked and shot out mists of water. The 3.3l engine original ATX tranny was underpowered and seemed like it was timed for switching gears (Like 10 seconds above a certain speed. manual fixed that, but still)...what else...oh yes the hood always got stuck (damn plastic pins)
Old August 16, 2003, 00:42   #138
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 17:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Dom Pedro II

Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	the beast.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	51543  

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old August 16, 2003, 00:45   #139
faded glory
King

rofl
Old August 16, 2003, 00:51   #140
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 17:14
An SUV is good.

An SUV with a big kangaroo bar in front is even better

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old August 16, 2003, 00:53   #141
faded glory
King

is that what that? Do people hit them that often?
Old August 16, 2003, 00:55   #142
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dom Pedro II
My uncle, in the typical Brazilian endeavor to become more American, decided to buy an SUV. He drove it for one week. Now, its decoration in his driveway. He said he couldn't stand how much money he was spending on gas (and he's got a mansion on the beach).

In a country where the best I've ever seen the gas is $1.29 per liter, its understandable.
$1.29 per liter isn't that bad. It's like $2.50 per gallon or so I believe.

Still, it's nothing like the good old days after the 1st gulf war when gas was $0.69 per gallon even here in California.
Old August 16, 2003, 01:04   #143
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory
I do like pickup trucks tho. I had an F-150, but ill never buy another ford car again. There money traps.
My Ford is 9 years old with 165,000 miles on the odometer and I only had it fail on me once. A fan belt broke and I can't really blame Ford because I was supposed to replace it 20k miles back but being a stupid penny pincher I didn't.

What I really hate is when people buy a 10 year old car that has been treated like **** by it's previous owners and then they run around and complain that their car with 200k miles on it doesn't work as well as a new car. I've seen several people do this. Another thing I see is people who don't bother to read their owner's manuals nor to do the standard maintance and then they call they wonder why their car breaks down. Seriously, one of the girls at work had 20,000 miles on her new car and she hadn't ever changed the oil. She claimed she didn't even know you had to change the oil in cars.
Old August 16, 2003, 01:06   #144
faded glory
King

i bought my F-150 brand new, it was a lemon since i got it. i took real good care of it too oil every 3500 miles, premium gas, check everything else monthy.. In the end, it was worth maybe an anchor when i traded it in.
Old August 16, 2003, 01:08   #145
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 03:14
Quote:
She claimed she didn't even know you had to change the oil in cars.

And this, folks, is why you should have to take a test to OWN a car .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 16, 2003, 01:11   #146
Oerdin
Deity

I'm going to be shopping for a new car in the next 6 months. First I need to buy a house though as I'll never qualify for the home loan if I have a big car loan. I probably won't buy an SUV; I'd love to get a roadster but the ones I want realistically cost more then I should spend so it looks like I'll be looking at a used Audi or something.
Old August 16, 2003, 01:13   #147
faded glory
King

Well when I worked at a dealership as an extra hand when I was 20 a portly old man got a honda civic or was it a Plymouth? not sure. One of those ugly box cars that still dot the roads today. Anyway it was Stick, and the guy didnt understand how to drive it ( i dont understand why he didnt, all cars were stick then). My boss asked if he could spare some time and show him how to work it. The guy was like fine, fine,...I got it, how hard is it? First it stalls he doesnt clutch it. Then he drives off in first gear on the interstate, about a fourth of the mile up he calls from a payphone and asks for help
Old August 16, 2003, 01:16   #148
Oerdin
Deity

The idiots are every where and they seem to be the only ones breeding.
Old August 16, 2003, 01:17   #149
faded glory
King

Oerdin, you should check out Acura NSX/RSX. NSX isnt a roadster, but it looks alot better and is tons cheaper alot less speed tho (IMO)
Old August 16, 2003, 01:19   #150
Oerdin
Deity

NSX? They cost like $70k. Are you talking about an RSX? I believe the RSX replaced the Integra.

I'm dieing to get a Porche Boxster but they're 30k even if you buy the lowest priced used versions. A Honda S2000 would be cool but late models run for $28k. I'd like to spend less the $20k on a good late model used car.