Old August 12, 2003, 06:30   #1
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 08:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Crown of the North
Anyone played it? I'm not going to pay for a US import without any good recommendations.
Old August 12, 2003, 08:41   #2
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 09:15
Try the official forum over at Paradox. There they have al ist of reviews and experiences.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old August 12, 2003, 11:28   #3
Mahdimael
Prince

Local Time: 07:15
It's a scaled down, simplistic version of their other games. Not my cup of tea, but it seems like it has a little replayability
Old August 13, 2003, 06:56   #4
Grumbold
Emperor

Oh I'm checking Paradox, but I know most people here have level heads on their shoulders. Not so sure about there
Old August 13, 2003, 08:06   #5
Nikolai
Deity

Do you have EU2? CoTN is a package consisting of EU2 1.07 +various mods and Svea Rike 3 in an English version. SR3 is a game that came out around the time of EU1. It's about the history of Sweden, and I think also Scandinavia as a whole. Don't quote me on that though. If you want that kind of game, or you don't have EU2(but you do, IIRC) this can be something for you.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old August 13, 2003, 11:27   #6
Mahdimael
Prince

In the game, you choose one of about 5 or 6 contenders for the scandanavian crown (the game takes place before EU, around 1300-something). There are some rulers in denmark, some in norway, and some in sweden. You must expand your empire by force or by building alliances with the various provinces/countries around you. Each province has 6 or so buildings that can be built and upgraded (upgrading gives bonuses to production times and such). There are about 6 troop types as well that can be built based on which buildings you have. You must also balance the different factions in your nation (peasants, nobles, merchants and clergy) so that none are angered. You can take different actions which affect their loyalty as well as random (and scripted) events that do the same thing

I found the game to be very easy. I always seemed to have tons of money, so it was easy to just influence countries over and over until I had an alliance with them. The real challenge is just remembering to keep building in all of your provinces. It's a fun diversion, but it didn't hold my interest beyond one game.
Old August 13, 2003, 12:44   #7
Grumbold
Emperor

Thanks. I wouldn't have paid for an import on this, and I understand CotN is just going to be the translated SR3 in Europe. Looks like not worth picking up.
Old August 13, 2003, 16:25   #8
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

What's Crown of the North?
Old August 13, 2003, 16:29   #9
Mahdimael
Prince

It a game in the vein of EU, set in Scandanavia in the 1300s. You play the role of one of a set number of lords vying for control. You win by eliminating your opponents or having the most victory points by the end of the game. Think of a much simpler EU
Old August 13, 2003, 16:47   #10
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Thanks. I've not seen any reviews.
Old August 13, 2003, 18:11   #11
Nikolai
Deity

Maybe because it's not one game, but two; EU2 and Svea Rike 3(as said earlier, released in Swedish only right after EU1). I'd guess it's not that interesting to make a review of.
Old August 14, 2003, 01:23   #12
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 03:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Mahdimael
It's a scaled down, simplistic version of their other games. Not my cup of tea, but it seems like it has a little replayability
How can it be anymore scaled down from EU2?
Old August 14, 2003, 05:17   #13
Grumbold
Emperor

EU2 = entire world, SR3 = Scandinavia

Decided not to order CotN. Saw that Crusader Kings was being advertised for a september release. Got excited again!

Went to the website and discovered that those dates are strictly fantasy.
Old August 14, 2003, 11:17   #14
Mahdimael
Prince

There are no real economic concerns- no inflation or anything, no technology. You make money based on the level of development of your farms and trading halls/posts/whatever. The diplomatic interaction is limited, there's no religious concerns. The only real variable is the support level of the various factions (nobles, etc).
Old August 14, 2003, 13:59   #15
Nikolai
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
Saw that Crusader Kings was being advertised for a september release. Got excited again!

Went to the website and discovered that those dates are strictly fantasy.
The game is said to be released "Hopefully before christmas". But the other game in development, Viktoria, will be released this autumn.
Old August 14, 2003, 18:27   #16
Mahdimael
Prince

I wonder if they plan to just link all of their games up at some point, so you could play from the Roman Empire until WW2
Old August 15, 2003, 06:13   #17
Nikolai
Deity

It will be possible to convert your CK game to an EU2 game.
Old August 15, 2003, 09:51   #18
Grumbold
Emperor

I've never finished an EU2 game that I would have wanted to continue. Normally the first 100-200 years are the fun, the rest is predictable expansion. I think the same is likely to apply to any Paradox game. If the historical structure was so rigid that you could not succeed in this way I think you would lose a lot of the game players and leave only the historians.

Victoria and CK due before christmas? Looks like we are being spoiled. Time to pray that a really ambitious ancient era game gets underway immediately afterward. I definitely want to try to conquer the ancient world as the Persians, Greeks and Romans, to name but three. Carthage deserves its day of glory too