Old August 13, 2003, 20:47   #31
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 02:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Merciless
I will begin to buy CDs once their prices drop below $4.
Happy pirating then
Old August 13, 2003, 21:56   #32
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 07:18
yabadabbadoo!

Dont stop sharing

Thats exactly what they want.
Old August 13, 2003, 22:00   #33
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 01:18
Another good option is to quit listening to any of the bullshit they put out at all, on the radio, on CD, or downloaded. I have found less than 1% of music that they put out to be better than utter bullshit, and have decided it's not cost-efficient to continue eating their "culture" even if I don't pay for it.
Old August 13, 2003, 22:08   #34
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 03:18
I think theft is theft even if the people you're stealing from are a bunch of total creeps like the RIAA. Plus I'm more or less of Mrmitchell's opinion regarding the state of modern music. All the CDs I ever want are classics, and I usually get them as presents anyway. I guess the long and short of it is, I don't really care.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old August 13, 2003, 22:13   #35
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
Their lobbyists have a stranglehold on the government. If they got close to going bankrupt, they'd probably even be able to wrangle "subsidies" out. The whole music industry right now, honestly, is just a big flaming pile of bullshit.

I like to think I'm a law abiding citizen, but I swear the day the goverment starts subsidizing the likes of J-lo and Brittney will be the day I load up and go on a shooting spree of Congress.

Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old August 13, 2003, 22:16   #36
faded glory
King

sprayber, that same day. Call me. Ill go with you..
Old August 13, 2003, 22:18   #37
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

It's odd because usually id be all for buying the damn CD. But the bastards over price the shitt and most of I dont' even want.

Can someone tell me what is so wrong with them providing a way that a consumer can go into a store or sit at their computer and buy exactly what they want for a resonable price. I understand they should make something but damn they don't have to rape me to get it.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old August 13, 2003, 22:18   #38
Soul Survivor
Settler

well I buy CD's by bands I like cause I know if I stop buying their CD's they'll stop making them...... wouldn't want that
Old August 13, 2003, 22:19   #39
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Great! If it's more than one person, they'll call it a terrorist act and just pass another Patriot Act!
Old August 13, 2003, 22:22   #40
faded glory
King

Its bullcrap. Most music today is just a looped chorus and 2 verses. Doesnt make any sense at all. Full of profanity and trendy words that get 13 year olds to buy it. Wrapped up in 9 layers of cellaphane and made for 50 cents.
Old August 13, 2003, 23:07   #41
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 09:18
10 to 15 year old girls is their market and I have no problem with that except for forcing me to listen to it all day on the radio
Old August 13, 2003, 23:08   #42
Soul Survivor
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by faded glory
Its bullcrap. Most music today is just a looped chorus and 2 verses. Doesnt make any sense at all. Full of profanity and trendy words that get 13 year olds to buy it. Wrapped up in 9 layers of cellaphane and made for 50 cents.
but isn't that the way its always been?
Old August 13, 2003, 23:11   #43
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
It's odd because usually id be all for buying the damn CD. But the bastards over price the shitt and most of I dont' even want.

Can someone tell me what is so wrong with them providing a way that a consumer can go into a store or sit at their computer and buy exactly what they want for a resonable price. I understand they should make something but damn they don't have to rape me to get it.
At one time some stores were experimenting with a process through which a buyer could purchase a custom made CD, i.e., the customer would select items to be copied on the disc. I guess it never caught on. Frankly I'd think that would be the best way to improve quality in the music industry. People would just pay for what they want.
Old August 13, 2003, 23:16   #44
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

SS,

face it, it's getting more prefab every year. Do the artists even have any input left??
Old August 13, 2003, 23:19   #45
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

The more they raise cd prices, the more people will turn to net options, whether they be pirating or downloading mp3s cheaply. If they raise cd prices now, it'll be game over man, game over!
Albert Speer
Old August 13, 2003, 23:39   #46
:) Smiley
Emperor

Local Time: 00:18
Rather than subsidize, the government should be taxing teenybopper music due to all the social costs it inflicts on the people of the country and world.
Old August 13, 2003, 23:41   #47
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Strange, classical and new age music CD costs don't seem to be increasing
Old August 13, 2003, 23:49   #48
alva
Deity

Are they distributed by major players?
Old August 14, 2003, 00:11   #49
mrmitchell
King

The music industry is, at the moment, BULLSHIT.

Low-paid hacks in some obscure department of a record company come up with lyrics that can be beat by the instruction manual of a toaster.

Pretty boys who can dance are paid small sums to sing it. They're paid outrageous sums by companies in unrelated fields to endorse their products etc.

The companies try to pass it off as "music" and for nearly 20 dollars at that. When people realise that the content is worth about 5 cents, they start downloading it.

The outrageous excess of the $20 is passed off onto lawyers who sue the industry's customers.

The music itself is gobbled up by 10-15 year old teenagers.

Myself, I'd take Bheetoven over Britney any day (well...not pictures of ).

The RIAA tries to make the excuse that eliminating them would hurt music. You didn't have kids 100 years ago singing **** that was fed to them by some profit machine, did you? No. You had several real composers, a few singing musicians, and folksongs. If anything, the RIAA has done more than any other organisation ever to hurt music. They have turned it into a money machine gobbled up by the regular grunts out there who don't know any better. Name a serious musician today. Not one of the money making grunts like "Justin Timberlake" or "Britney Spears" or whatever flavor-of-the-week is out. You can't. They're drowned out by this massive flow of unstoppable crap.

This is the same for the MPAA, but less so. Movies still have a significant chance. However, music is more permanently scarred. It would be VERY difficult to take the world away from the "omg!!!!!1!!!1 justin timberlk is so, omg, cut! oh yeah his songs rock im g2g by some more of them!!!!!11!! thank you big riaa machne!!!!11" mentality, and back to how music should be. Written by people who love it, for people who love it. Not people who love money.

[/rant]
Old August 14, 2003, 00:46   #50
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
I only purchase from local bands because I like to support local industries and I know that all of the $15 I'm paying them goes straight back to them and their ability to make more good music.
Last couple of CDs I bought:

Cruxshadows - Frozen Embers - $10
NOFX - War on Errorism - $14
Propaghandi - Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes - $13
Los Hombres Calientes - Vol. 4, Voudou Dance - $14
Lasgo - Some Things - $13

All new. Who's CDs are at DVD prices? J. Lo.? Jeezy Creezy, people! Buy some damn music instead! Buy small label and local.
Old August 14, 2003, 05:52   #51
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:18
10 years ago, I paid x amount for a CD, about the same for a VCD. Today, I still need to pay x for a CD, but just 1/10 the price for cheap, cheesy, local movies on VCD, or twice that much for US/European films. Plus, the CD's are so crappy these days, the music sucks, so do the lyrics. Years ago there might be 4 or 5 songs I liked on a CD. Today, one, if I am lucky.

As further evidence, just recently a whole slew of compilations came out, and surprisingly, they are selling well. People aren't stupid.
Old August 14, 2003, 10:36   #52
:) Smiley
Emperor

The key to finally defeating the RIAA then is to somehow wipe out 10-15 year old teenybopperism. I don't suppose it'll be easy though, as both communism and fundamentalism have been trying unsuccessfully for decades. Any ideas?
Old August 14, 2003, 10:47   #53
geeslaka
Prince

Quote:
People aren't stupid.
Keep thinking that, maybe you'll set a record for feelings of disillusionment.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old August 14, 2003, 10:55   #54
faded glory
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
10 years ago, I paid x amount for a CD, about the same for a VCD. Today, I still need to pay x for a CD, but just 1/10 the price for cheap, cheesy, local movies on VCD, or twice that much for US/European films. Plus, the CD's are so crappy these days, the music sucks, so do the lyrics. Years ago there might be 4 or 5 songs I liked on a CD. Today, one, if I am lucky.

As further evidence, just recently a whole slew of compilations came out, and surprisingly, they are selling well. People aren't stupid.

I totally agree. With very few exceptions these days, the music quality is really bad. Looped chorus, enhanced vocals,selling out of core fans for a new market (St.Anger). Its really sad how all this has happened. And what bothers me even more is pop music. Kelly Clarkson, Britney, Avril, and madonna. **** them all. There music sucks ass bigtime. They have one big song that has been dressed up. And rest of the CD is garbage.

E-Donkey & K-Lite 4 ever
Old August 14, 2003, 11:02   #55
geeslaka
Prince

One more thing, normal cost for copying the contents of a CD, (for a big company) is around 1-2 cents. And with the quality of most music, CDs should cost 4-5 cents.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old August 14, 2003, 11:04   #56
faded glory
King

prolly cheaper than that. Its done is china
Old August 14, 2003, 11:10   #57
faded glory
King

Oh and this is a minor setback for the RIAA. What will be a really big indicator of who is going to win this fight is when CD sales dip below 10$ billion. So far its at 12 billion and dropping