Old August 13, 2003, 10:01   #1
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Our world 960AD
Rome went down...but there are still Roman cities left(eg Ravenna wich our SMC begged me to spaire even after they killed 2 of our units)

We have Bought Buffalo(only 292G) got a lot of gold from huts and 1 advanced tribe in the North american delta.

History 740AD-->

760AD: a rushbuild warrior takes out our crusader…and the SMC tells me to stand down ; American Elephant spoted next to Antium(when will it try to strike?) German elephant pops up next to Ore.50G from hut…use this gold to rush the barracks in Antium, Kill greek katapult next to Dominion(Dominion is a target the Greek are shooting at...this is the reason I’ll try to make it a real stronghold before following Cityplannersorders)

780AD: disorder in Dominion(the chariot outside) Build the city of Plenty(orders of the previous session)-->2pheasants,silk and wine and a 4square river. Diplomat makes embassy in Chicago:
Americans have 412G,are a republic, researching Democracy,no techs we don’t have,capital is Washington.,4 cities are building Leo’s. and they have 15 cities. They also are at peace with the Zulu and German.
Buffalo will revolt for 292G…Pop hut:50G we currently have 225G…I investigate the city…2units defending,no imp,…I might switch our Xin-orders to cash(we’re at a Xin turn) and buy the city)…

800AD: Discover Bombay(American city totally on the south of the map!!!)

820AD: created an International Incident by bribing Buffalo for 292G our city now...I should prepare for counter attacks We Got Buffalo(16G,Size3,Phalanx+Archer)Start temple to get rid of unhappiness. Kill American Elephant near antium. Build Plague(orders of previous session)near Pestilence. Got Cease fire with Americans

840AD got peace with the Germans. Rome has 1 archer and 1 Legion + citywalls.50G from hut. Americans build Leo’s in Washington.

860AD 50G from hut

880AD Americans develop Democracy...do we want it???
Dominion has 2 Knights knocking at the door...slik...Archer and Chariot take them out . Settler added to Majestica--> started Xinning. Exploring archer takes out Roman Warrior that killed his friend the Cruc. Got 50G from hut

900AD Zulu’s Build Great Wall in Zimbabwe. Discover Sanitation: new options are:{Democracy,Magnetism,Steam engine}I started democracy...reason: I intend to steal it from the Americans=> this would give us a second try in the tech advance tombola.. . maybe we have beter luck then…
[Rant intermezzo]
AAAAARRRRGGGG we don’t have Leo’s...damn damn damn
[/Rant intermezzo]

920AD Cease Fire with Romans...maybe I can get the wounded Archer home. We have over 2000.000 ppl. Got an advanced tribe Kahun on the Riverdelta North of the Americans

940AD Americans switch Govt(prob to Demo). Attacked the Romans

960AD Americans become democracy...no more citybribing.
Kill an other Greek katapult at Dominion.
Attack on Rome: I check with Diplo: 1 legion and 1 archer. Cruc attacks--> kills legion, second Cruc gets killed but Archer is serevrly wounded. First knight takes out archer and takes city: Rome(59G Size3...lost city walls )

Shade(screenshots will come soon)

Last edited by shade; August 14, 2003 at 09:22.
Old August 13, 2003, 10:03   #2
shade
King

Buffalo before bribing
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	buffalo.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	51395  
Old August 13, 2003, 10:05   #3
shade
King

The current Powergraph. We are still number 2(Greeks are following very close...I think we kept our place because of the new cities: Buffalo,Kahun,Plague,Rome and Plenty.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	powergraph960.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	51396  
Old August 13, 2003, 10:06   #4
shade
King

The newly conquered Rome
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	rome.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	51397  
Old August 13, 2003, 10:11   #5
shade
King

The roman Imperium.. I guess there must be 1 or 2 cities left hidden(at the ends of the road)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	romanimp.jpg
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	51398  
Old August 13, 2003, 10:13   #6
shade
King

The South part of the American lands...pity they are demo now...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	vssouth.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	51399  
Old August 13, 2003, 10:15   #7
shade
King

Our North American Cities.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	vsnorth.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	51400  
Old August 13, 2003, 10:16   #8
shade
King

Rest of North America
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	vsnorth2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	51401  
Old August 13, 2003, 10:22   #9
shade
King

voila the saves are send if I forgot anyone please let me know.

Any other screenshots wanted?

Your humble servant and Pharao.
Shade
Old August 13, 2003, 10:24   #10
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 02:18
Democracy?
Quote:
Discover Sanitation: new options are:{Democracy,Magnetism,Steam engine}I started democracy...reason: I intend to steal it from the Americans=> this would give us a second try in the tech advance tombola..
Assuming Invention was not offered...
But why Democracy, when you yourself said you intended to steal it? (Sorry, not sure what "tombola" is...)

While Democracy would be needed in the fullness of time, Steam engine was next on the priority list.
But it's -- no harm done.

Query: Can we check our lone embassy to see if Invention (and/or other techs) might be available for theft as well?

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old August 13, 2003, 10:33   #11
shade
King

Re: Democracy?
Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit

Assuming Invention was not offered...
But why Democracy, when you yourself said you intended to steal it? (Sorry, not sure what "tombola" is...)

While Democracy would be needed in the fullness of time, Steam engine was next on the priority list.
But it's -- no harm done.

Query: Can we check our lone embassy to see if Invention (and/or other techs) might be available for theft as well?
1) of course invention wasn't offered: we already have it.
2)sorry but I didn't find anything clear about Steam engine(if the Americans didn't have Demo I would have taken it)
The idea is: you get some techs to choose from, none of them is what you really want(nothing going to explosives or leadership/tactics).=> You start researching something you can steal before you will finish the tech yourself=> you will have to choose a new tech and hopefully now you'll be able to choose the one you want.(this is the tombola I meant)

--> you get the tech you wanted in 1 research period(of 25 turns for us now) instead of 2 because you had to finish an other tech first.

3) the ony tech we can steal for now is Democracy, gunpowder might be next when the Americans discover it.

Shade
Old August 13, 2003, 14:03   #12
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

So that leaves us, once we steal Democracy:

Gunpowder
Metallurgy
Explosives
Conscription
Fundamentalism
Leadership
Tactics
Steam Engine
RailRoad

Everything comes from Gunpowder, so once we get Gunpowder, we will start to see some better technologies open up.
Old August 13, 2003, 14:17   #13
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

But what's "tombola" ??????????

Old August 13, 2003, 17:17   #14
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 09:18
Tombola in Dutch means something like a lottery.
Old August 13, 2003, 18:01   #15
shade
King

sorry it slipped my mind there wasn't an English sounding equivalent....It's to hot to think...
I should have been talking about lottery. thx Atawa.

Shade
Old August 13, 2003, 22:23   #16
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Re: Our world 960AD
Wow, Wow and Wow! Sounds like an eventful session...I have a number of questions however...

Quote:
Originally posted by shade
Rome went down...but there are still Roman cities left(eg Ravenna wich our SMC begged me to spaire even after they killed 2 of our units)
Who exactly begged you to spare them? I assume you don't mean Cavebear, but if it was the SMC from within the game, you speak of something I haven't heard of before. Unless you mean to leave them with one city, which is something the populace should vote on, not by some covert agreement between the SMC and the President (maybe not so covert...you told us about it )

Quote:
Kill greek katapult next to Dominion(Dominion is a target the Greek are shooting at...this is the reason I’ll try to make it a real stronghold before following Cityplannersorders)
And as I pointed out in another thread, I think Dominion should be part of whatever "Province" the SMC divided the Greeks region cities into rather then as one of the "core" cities (which we are trying to Xin).

Quote:
800ADiscover Bombay(American city totally on the south of the map!!!)
If memory serves, the Americans wiped out the Indian Civilization quite early in the game, it seems that Bombay, and other former Indian cities were conquered rather then built by the Americans.

Quote:
Settler added to Majestica--> started Xinning.
I thought that there was a previous poll on this, where the people voted NOT to add settlers to cities to increase population? (I will happily go back and find the poll if you don't remember ) As one of those who voted against the use of settlers for this purpose, I cannot support the presidents disregard for this poll.

Quote:
Attack on Rome: I check with Diplo: 1 legion and 1 archer. Cruc attacks--> kills legion, second Cruc gets killed but Archer is serevrly wounded. First knight takes out archer and takes city: Rome(59G Size3...lost city walls )
I note from the screen shot that this city is in servere unhappiness, but I assume the screen shot was posted before adjusting worker production?? I would hate to see the monarchy fall over this newly conquered city.

All in all looks like a great session, with much progress. I look forward to seeing what the American Embassy enables our Foreign Ministry to do. Perhaps we will begin to develop Foreign Policy

/me Citizen of the Apolytonian Imperium
Old August 14, 2003, 03:46   #17
atomant
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 17:18
Re: Our world 960AD
Quote:
[
We have Bought Buffalo(only 292G) got a lot of golf
The rabbit ought to like that... lots of golf...
Old August 14, 2003, 09:42   #18
shade
King

Re: Re: Our world 960AD
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
Who exactly begged you to spare them? I assume you don't mean Cavebear, but if it was the SMC from within the game, you speak of something I haven't heard of before. Unless you mean to leave them with one city, which is something the populace should vote on, not by some covert agreement between the SMC and the President (maybe not so covert...you told us about it )

[Fragment of secret millitary document]
...We should leave Ravenna standing for now, in case that would be the Roman's last city, so we can keep them alive but weak.
[/Fragment of secret millitary document]

Quote:
And as I pointed out in another thread, I think Dominion should be part of whatever "Province" the SMC divided the Greeks region cities into rather then as one of the "core" cities (which we are trying to Xin).
...about the Xinning cities: maybe something to think about: we have cities with temples+3 units of size 3 wich are going to go into disorder asa they reach size4.

Quote:
If memory serves, the Americans wiped out the Indian Civilization quite early in the game, it seems that Bombay, and other former Indian cities were conquered rather then built by the Americans.
I know, I thought it would be usefull info for 1 defenceperpose and bribing goals.They were not build by the Americans but the americans now own them=> American cities.

Quote:
I thought that there was a previous poll on this, where the people voted NOT to add settlers to cities to increase population? (I will happily go back and find the poll if you don't remember ) As one of those who voted against the use of settlers for this purpose, I cannot support the presidents disregard for this poll.
I thought is was just the opposite--> some small cities like Pax keep building settlers to add them to other cities to get them to XinSize(the previous session had a lot of those orders!!) Pax has a very low shieldrate, and the settler was 2 turns of beeing finished(and pax 1 turn from growing into problems: Size4-> unhappyness, only way to solve: use entertainer--> not enough food= starvation). Our CP suggested switching to a Cruc, I didn't do so(sorry to the CP) because it might have solved the happinessprob at that time but the demand to send out the Cruc would have come very soon with all problems I described before. Now I used the settler to get Majestica back to Size 5(was the original goal I started building the settler 1 session ago) so it could again start Xinning instead of having to wait an other 20-some turns. Now I sped up science and escaped a serious unhappinessprob.

Quote:
I note from the screen shot that this city is in servere unhappiness, but I assume the screen shot was posted before adjusting worker production?? I would hate to see the monarchy fall over this newly conquered city.
that screen was the moment of victory,don't worry no more unhappines there anymore.
Btw do monarchies fall into anarchy??(demo and Rep yes...)

@Atomant(&rabbit) cleared the typo and while on it got rid of an accidental smiley.

Shade
Old August 14, 2003, 13:29   #19
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Btw do monarchies fall into anarchy??
By divine right, Kings do not fall. Mere mortal Presidents are another matter.
Old August 15, 2003, 07:55   #20
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:18
Obi has it correct as usual.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old August 16, 2003, 18:33   #21
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Re: Re: Re: Our world 960AD
Quote:

I thought is was just the opposite--> some small cities like Pax keep building settlers to add them to other cities to get them to XinSize(the previous session had a lot of those orders!!)
Well, the thread I was thinking of relating to this isn't as direct an answer to the question as I had hoped, perhaps I read to much into the original poll, but what I take this poll to mean is that we are to be using settlers for new cities, rather then increasing existing cities.

Here is the thread/poll

I voted in favour of new cities, regardless of the happiness problems, I think new cities (without ICSing ) are the key to our victory, as they are in any game.

/me Citizen of Apolyton
Old August 17, 2003, 02:17   #22
rjmatsleepers
King

Local Time: 07:18
Quote:
sorry it slipped my mind there wasn't an English sounding equivalent....It's to hot to think...
I should have been talking about lottery. thx Atawa.

Shade
Don't worry in English English, tombola is a perfectly acceptable word. (Rare but acceptable.)

RJM at Sleepers
Old August 17, 2003, 09:11   #23
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rjmatsleepers

Don't worry in English English, tombola is a perfectly acceptable word. (Rare but acceptable.)

RJM at Sleepers

Sometimes I really don't where my Dutch vocabulary ends and my English begins...and then you get situations like these. Thanks for the info.

@Sparrowhawk: I looked at the thread. Don't worry I will never use the settlers to reach size 8 cities

Shade
Old August 18, 2003, 00:11   #24
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

I note that our esteemed President Shade has not seen fit to rename our conquered cities during his term . My understanding is that one of the "perks" of being president is that the President gets to name cities . While he has done so in the case of new cites, I would think that in the case of conquered cities (e.g. Rome, Antium, Veii, Cumae & Buffalo) that this would also be the case. Now if the President chooses not to rename them, perhaps that is also his perogative, but if he is just looking for the support of the people, I for one would like to see all of the above named cities renamed along the trend he has been naming them and by doing so, we will erase from the history books all record of these Japanese, Roman, and American civilizations.

/me , Citizen of the Apolyton Imperium

Edit: Perhaps Kahun as well?
Old August 20, 2003, 01:59   #25
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:18
Erm, aren't Demos immune to Diplomat actions, and thus we can't steal it?

And yes we DO want Demo, as it leads us to Conscription, and the best value defenders of the late game. Mayhaps is time we got together a posse to induct another American city into the Imperium...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 20, 2003, 09:10   #26
-Jrabbit
Deity

Democracies are immune to bribery. All other dip/spy actions are available.

Old August 20, 2003, 13:38   #27
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 09:18
We are not btw so we have patroll our borders for American dips.