Old August 13, 2003, 10:25   #1
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 02:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Where were you in life, five years ago?
Last month was Apolyton's fifth anniversary.

I was wondering -- where were you in life, five years ago? Anyone who is an Apolytoner is free to join in this thread -- whether they were a Chieftan five years ago, or if they had not even found out about Apolyton yet, but is a member now.

Five years ago, it was about a month before I would come out to my family and friends as a gay man.

I was 20, I had an Associate's Degree in Computer Information Processing from a community college. But I was not happy, since I realized on the day that I graduated, that I chose the wrong major/field.

I felt like I was going to get stuck into a job/career that was going to be boring for me. This was before I even realized that I would go to a four-year college to pursue my real passion -- American history.

Five years ago, I had a lot less self-confidence and self-esteem than I have now. I feel so much better about myself at the present, than I did five years ago.

So how far have you gone over the past five years?
Old August 13, 2003, 10:48   #2
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 07:19
I was a drug addict and an alcoholic with a determined self-fufilling prophecy to be dead by the time I was twenty-four. I lived in a ****-hole apartment where my only furniture was the "Captain's Chair" (a glide rocker), a lamp I had to take from room to room because it was the only light I had, a mattress, and a small b/w tv. Around this time I met my wife and she helped me get my **** together. I went back to school, got a "career" job, and moved to a different ****-hole apartment in a better area with better rent. I also got married and started playing soccer again.
Old August 13, 2003, 10:58   #3
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 08:19
I was 13. I prefer not to remember.
Old August 13, 2003, 10:59   #4
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 04:19
Five years ago I was living with my parents, amazed with this thing called internet (yes, I had recently got access to the net for the first time) and I had no perspectives for the future.

Since then I got a job in the government, got married and now I'm on the verge of a divorce (but my wife doesn't know about that yet).

I was happier back then.
Old August 13, 2003, 11:05   #5
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:19
I was 14, in junior high, and slightly odious. (Heck, it's possible that I even wore velcro boots. Brrr.) I was good in school, but was in a precarious phase when my grade-school friends' life was diverging from my own and I, essentially, didn't have any friends. I had a bad case of acne and greasy hair and was your stereotypical nerd. While I had been quite a chatterbox in the grade school, but grew silent.

Of course, after a few years I got on to high school (not a moment too soon - one of my main criteria in my high school choice, even though I didn't mention it to anyone then, was that none of the *******s from junior high years were going there), started to actually talk to people, and now am preparing to move to a different city to go to university, certainly a more balanced and happy person than then. And I have Apolyton to thank for all of it
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old August 13, 2003, 11:11   #6
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Five years ago I worked as office manager and chief engineer in a surveyors office. I was unhappy, because I didn't much like my work and that business had a pretty hard time. In my spare time I improved my programming skills and played computer games, mostly Civ2. I did have access to the internet, but never got a clue that there is an Apolyton (well, or a Greek Civ2 site for that matter).
Old August 13, 2003, 11:15   #7
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
now I'm on the verge of a divorce (but my wife doesn't know about that yet).

I was happier back then.
Holy ****, dude. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope happier times are ahead for you.
Old August 13, 2003, 11:19   #8
Harry Seldon
King

Quote:
I'm on the verge of a divorce (but my wife doesn't know about that yet).
! I think I've seen pictures of the two of you in the picture thread and you both looked so happy. I'm sorry to hear that; if it's your desire to fix what's wrong I hope it's successful.
Old August 13, 2003, 11:25   #9
Japher
Emperor

5 years ago? Aug 1998?

1 month before my last (and 6th) year of college was to begin. Pretty excited for my last year as I only had 1 class a quarter to take (gotta love how they only offer the class you need once a year). We (my future wife and I) were living on a greenbelt with some friends. Pretty much b-b-q-ing, drinking, and having a blast. It was my last summer to do nothing. It was great.

Since, besides getting married, going through two jobs and 3 promotions, getting a dog (got her February of 99 because I was getting bored), and moving to SJ nothing has really changed... Still chillin'
Old August 13, 2003, 11:29   #10
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
I was 14. I, like Stefu, disliked my juniour highschool. I was on the verge of moving to Canada from America. Like any normal boy, I seemed to have survived with one pair of shoes that I wore all the time.

I'm now 19, I love my highschool in England and I own 8 pairs of assorted shoes, boots, and sandels at the last count, each one designated for a specific social function.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old August 13, 2003, 11:33   #11
Bereta_Eder
Settler

I had just returned to Greece after finishing a master's degree abroad and was waiting to be notified to go to the (obigatory) army... Luckily I had just had the time of my life so my batteries were fully charged, something that made the wait more tolerable...
Old August 13, 2003, 11:45   #12
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 03:19
I had recently been hired for my first "real" job, having graduated college a few months prior.

The job sucked, by the way, I only took it because it got me the hell out of my parent's house, where my father was utterly intolerable ("why don't you have a job yet? Why did you sleep until TEN O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING [horror, the horror!]? Why don't you have a job yet? Did you send out resumes today? Did you call today?"). I love him and all, but he nearly drove me nuts.

Happily for me, that job didn't last long (unit shutdown, all of us laid off, with 3 months full pay) and I got a better one in March of '99.

I was still screwed up over the failure of my relationship in college (yeah, that's singular), with a girl I really did love (though, as discussed in the other thread, it wasn't a particularly mature love). As a result, the girl I now love was having all sorts of trouble reeling me in. And I was giving her fits. Doh.

I lived in a crappy little studio apartement with virtually no furniture. I didn't even bother setting up my computer (at the time, an old 386 PC).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 13, 2003, 11:49   #13
Chris Wilkinson
Warlord

5 years ago I got a job offer from Microsoft asking if I wanted to be trained up in web-design for them in Seattle after they seem to like my website so much.

I then pointed out I was a 14 schoolkid in rural England.

Old August 13, 2003, 11:49   #14
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 10:19
I was 13 years old and I really dont remember what I was doing. Playing Civ2 I guess.
Old August 13, 2003, 12:54   #15
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Seldon
I was a drug addict and an alcoholic with a determined self-fufilling prophecy to be dead by the time I was twenty-four. I lived in a ****-hole apartment where my only furniture was the "Captain's Chair" (a glide rocker), a lamp I had to take from room to room because it was the only light I had, a mattress, and a small b/w tv. Around this time I met my wife and she helped me get my **** together. I went back to school, got a "career" job, and moved to a different ****-hole apartment in a better area with better rent. I also got married and started playing soccer again.
Well, this definitely counts as a rough time.
But it seems like things are better for you now??
Old August 13, 2003, 12:55   #16
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
5 years ago? Aug 1998?

1 month before my last (and 6th) year of college was to begin. Pretty excited for my last year as I only had 1 class a quarter to take (gotta love how they only offer the class you need once a year). We (my future wife and I) were living on a greenbelt with some friends. Pretty much b-b-q-ing, drinking, and having a blast. It was my last summer to do nothing. It was great.

Since, besides getting married, going through two jobs and 3 promotions, getting a dog (got her February of 99 because I was getting bored), and moving to SJ nothing has really changed... Still chillin'
Do you two have any kid, or expecting one soon?
Old August 13, 2003, 12:56   #17
Japher
Emperor

No. Why?
Old August 13, 2003, 12:59   #18
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
No. Why?
Just wondering . . . . .

part of the gay agenda that Boddington's is so worried about, is that we seek kids and convert them to become gay.

Old August 13, 2003, 13:03   #19
Japher
Emperor

When I decide to have kids they will be straight... if I had to beat it into them!!!!
Old August 13, 2003, 13:13   #20
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 00:19
Hmmm 5 years ago I had just turned 22 and was still at college. I lived with seven other guys in a four bedroom house right on the Pacific Ocean in Santa Barbara, CA (and when I say right on the ocean I mean any closer and you'd be dog paddling). I worked as a waiter and delivery man for a local Italian restaurant where I made good tips and the owner was an elderly Sicilian lady who always gave me a free meal before every shift. As a starving college student I looked forward to getting that free meal.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 13, 2003, 13:16   #21
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Hmmm 5 years ago I had just turned 22 and was still at college. I lived with seven other guys in a four bedroom house right on the Pacific Ocean in Santa Barbara, CA (and when I say right on the ocean I mean any closer and you'd be dog paddling). I worked as a waiter and delivery man for a local Italian restaurant where I made good tips and the owner was an elderly Sicilian lady who always gave me a free meal before every shift. As a starving college student I looked forward to getting that free meal.
Sounds like a cool, fun time.
Old August 13, 2003, 13:23   #22
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
When I decide to have kids they will be straight... if I had to beat it into them!!!!

I was between high school and college, and just taken a holiday to the States. What the hell I did for the other few weeks of summer I don't know.
Old August 13, 2003, 13:33   #23
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
Sounds like a cool, fun time.
Yeah, it was. I often wish I could go back to college where my biggest responsibility was to finish my term paper on time. Still, I was flat broke and on days where I didn't work at the restaurant most of my calores came from cup of noodles or burger king cheese burgers so I could save as much money as possible for beer.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 13, 2003, 13:37   #24
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

Yeah, it was. I often wish I could go back to college where my biggest responsibility was to finish my term paper on time. Still, I was flat broke and on days where I didn't work at the restaurant most of my calores came from cup of noodles or burger king cheese burgers so I could save as much money as possible for beer.
Well yeah -- beer is important, because it helps you with your future goals.
Old August 13, 2003, 13:39   #25
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 03:19
Hmm...five years ago I was 10. Most likely worrying if I liked what my mom packed me for lunch that day.
Old August 13, 2003, 13:45   #26
Oerdin
Deity

Trickey: I worried about the same thing when I was 10. Of course I didn't like most sugarly things so if she packed something which was to sweet for my taste I knew I could always trade it to one of the other students for something I did like.
Old August 13, 2003, 13:45   #27
Proteus_MST
King

It was 5 months before my Grandma died of Cancer,
and 1-2 months after we knew, that she had it
(I went on a voyage through Catalunya (a part of spain) with some fellow students to study the animals and plants there and upon return I was told by my grandparents and parents about the diagnosis).

In the end she died on January 2nd 1999 after some time of suffering in Hospital.
Old August 13, 2003, 13:48   #28
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

The summer of 1998 I moved from the sheltered Diplomat's-child existance I'd been leading in Tanzania back home to Sweden and the last two years of High School. I realise now how inexperienced I was for a 17-year-old kid... When I started posting in forums later that year I was a self-important humourless *****, mainly because I didn't have the right experience with social interaction outside my small circle down there, and because I had had a political awakening a couple of months before I wanted to test out.
Old August 13, 2003, 13:52   #29
Harry Seldon
King

Quote:
Well, this definitely counts as a rough time.
But it seems like things are better for you now??
I'm almost twenty-seven and I'm not dead.
Old August 13, 2003, 13:53   #30
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Seldon

I'm almost twenty-seven and I'm not dead.