Old December 1, 1999, 06:01   #1
Captain Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 05:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
RED FRONT 2
This is a continuation of the thread "RED FRONT ROCKS"... It was getting too long and unhandy.
Also Red Front, version 2 is complete and will be transmitted to CSC within a few days.

Jim:

I think most of your concerns are addressed in the new version. The Guard Tank regiments/divisions give the Soviets a lot of help to conquer Germany (Get 2 new Guard units, extra tough T-34/85s every time you kill a Tiger II in the last 2 seasons of the war) also Soviet planes are cheaper, Germany progressively loses it's airforce, Romanian troops and SG units when appropriate progress is made into Germany.
The only way to prevent Germany from producing a unit that was already available before is make it unavailable in the rules.txt file which means that Germany would lose certain capabilities on a certain fixed turn (Upon loading one of the new rules files) if I make the unit obsolete with a tech, the AI immediately disbands it. That's what happens when Romania surrenders, all Romanian troops are disbanded and since all New Romanian troops appear in Bucharest (By event) and the conquest of Bucharest is the trigger for making the units obsolete you should never see another Romanian soldier in the field!

Regarding the Su-152, if I give it the "ignore tank defenses" flag you will produce it but the Katyushas then lose their value and you won't produce them.

At the end of the game I was producing:

* T-34/85s because they are cheap and have the best movement.
* JS-2s because they are defensively the best unit and can knock out any German tank in the open.
* Su-152s because they are as powerful at killing the tough German tanks as the JS-2s and a lot cheaper to produce (Defensively they are only so-so).
* The Katyushas because they are the best at knocking out the city defenses.
* Red Army because they can be produced with very few shields and can keep conquered cities under control.
* Heavy artillery to deal with the toughest cities but I produce it near the front and it requires Labor brigade support (Build fort next to city to be conquered).
* Yak-9s to protect the units stacks from the Luftwaffe
* IL-2s because they "clean-up" every German unit that wanders out of their cities without bothering my main force.

Mao:

I think, but don't remember for sure, that version 1 does not have the Polish uprising. A lot of these features are new with version 2. Conquering Warsaw in 1944 or 45 in version 1 would just have triggered the Germans getting the "Volksturm" technology and starting to build the units with Panzerfaust and the "Fortress Germany" wonder.

New features in version 2:

Many new events in 1943-45, relating to the fall of Germany.
Problems with Germany "cash overflow" fixed.
Many new unit graphics, some new units.
AI more aggressive in 1941-42, more likely to reach historical targets.
Improved playability.
New sounds imported from war movies.
Many new Soviet cities, including some key historical battle locations (Orel, Petsamo...)
Siege mortars and Panzerfaust unit statistics improved so AI will use them effectively.

SOON COMING TO CSC - APOLYTON HOSTED SITE!
Old December 1, 1999, 18:10   #2
Captain Nemo
Prince

Overdrive:

The AI gets 3 "Karl" 60cm mortars through events when Narva and Perekop are taken. If these cities are taken by the Germans multiple times in 1941-42 there could be more "Karl" units. If you saw more, it probably means that the AI started building units before the "Karl" is obsolete (Capture of Warsaw in version 1). I only saw the 3 units I expected (One got disbanded in Luga when I captured Warsaw), but the AI had an incredible amount of units left, even after I got Warsaw (somewhere around 400!) The units started being built when I emptied some of the AIs key cities of units and dropped him to 200. Berlin, Bucharest, Ploesti and Danzig had all in excess of 30 units each, but all infantry and a few 88s. When the AI started building I encountered stacked 88s and panzergrenadiers in evry city.

How did you like the scenario? How would it rate in a Scenario League review?
Old December 1, 1999, 19:56   #3
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:50
30/30, if not, I'll get EvC's stormtroopers to hunt you down
Old December 1, 1999, 23:38   #4
DarthVeda
Emperor

Nemo, 30/30, you completely shamed my recent scenario project

Plus, you still need to level Dresden at some point (perhaps when germany gets Volksturm)

Old December 2, 1999, 08:02   #5
Captain Nemo
Prince

DarthVeda:

Thanks for the compliment. I certainly did not set out to put anyone to shame... And I am sure your scenario is very worthwhile. Your ideas certainly are good!

Does the "change terrain" command with the original terrain attribute kill all units and remove all improvements on the terrain?

I was reluctant to make Dresden dissappear completely BUT if the above is true I could simulate allied bombing raids by changing the terrain around several German cities in 1944-45. Many of them are industrialized, have suburbs and farmland and those attacks would destroy all the improvements especially the "Industry" which accounts for a lot of the German economy.

What do you think? The Dresden Bombing raid could take out 4-5 industry and suburb squares around Dresden... If I had another terrain spot I could even have a graphic of bombed out ruins and reduce all ressources of the square to 0!! This would in turn cause the city population to drop because of starvation!! This is brilliant! (Unfortunately, I don't have a terrain spot free...)

Old December 2, 1999, 08:57   #6
Michael Daumen
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 00:50
When you change terrain it certainly destroys all units, but I do not know about terrain improvments. I used this in my Moscow scenario and in my Earth 3000 entry. A pollution-free nuke if you have the events space.
Old December 2, 1999, 09:02   #7
Jim Winchell
Chieftain

Use your minefield terrain. It has a "devasted" look and the only thing it produces is a red shield.
Old December 2, 1999, 09:03   #8
Jim Winchell
Chieftain

"Devastated"--sorry.
Old December 2, 1999, 17:00   #9
Captain Nemo
Prince

I found a bug in Red Front: The Orthodox cathedrals and regular churches don't improve happiness... It turns out they are not operational if you haven't discovered Monotheism? That's the first time I have encountered that... I revised the tech tree and brought out MT (It was used as some German flight advance) and renamed it Theology. Everything works now... It also means that there is a major collapse/unrest in the Soviet cities when Minsk falls.

The new version is even more difficult than the last. The Germans make very quick progress in 1941 and are the gates of Leningrad and Moscow by September. I figured a way to get repeated move commands in each turn and immediately move newly created units that by definition have no "prior" assignment. (Use a unitkilled trigger with a createunit + a move unit both in the same IF statement) New German units are created and charge forward right away. For Narva/Luga/Novgorod it meant curtains in August! Leningrad surrounded and under heavy attack all winter of 1941-42!

Many other details have also been worked out. I made some Soviet Pillboxes that block the roadways over the Don so the Germans first have to capture certain (home) cities before they can cross the rivers... otherwise I get these mad German tankers wandering the Ural mountains in the spring of 1942! This is also a effective way to move the Germans forward without dropping them in cities... Same as you suggested Jim for Minsk, but with a stationary, indestructible unit, holding the create-unit spot until it is disbanded by capture of a nearby city. The human player can't mess that one up by moving the unit...and since it can't move I don't think it can be disbanded or reassigned to another city?

This is one piece of work! I hope you all enjoy the scenario enough to justify all these hours!
Old December 2, 1999, 20:26   #10
DarthVeda
Emperor

Don't worry captain, I can safely say that you have turned this into the best scenario in the world.

Changeterrain removes all Units, Cities, Terrain improvements, and previous Terrain in a square when it is used.

A side note: Don't use it in the same turn on the same square that you intend to place a unit. Civ runs this event first if you're using "Turn" as a trigger.
Old December 2, 1999, 20:28   #11
DarthVeda
Emperor

Bah, a rare DV doublepost!
[This message has been edited by DarthVeda (edited December 02, 1999).]
Old December 2, 1999, 22:08   #12
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Even more difficult? I haven't tried the first version yet but I do have some doubts about the adequacy of my skillsin Civ2. Oh well, I'll play it anyway.:-)

------------------
St. Leo
http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old December 3, 1999, 01:45   #13
Overdrive
Warlord

Hmm, I am waiting for the promising v.2 of Red Front to drop a review at Scenario League.
Old December 3, 1999, 17:15   #14
Captain Nemo
Prince

I am playing a test of the final version right now. The historical accuracy amazed me!

I gave it my absolute best effort to hold back the Germans on Deity level and the Germans were EXACTLY at their historical locations by winter 1941 except for:
A Soviet pocket holding out at Bryansk because I consolidated that position with many of the best units from Southern Ukraine... But it fell by May 1942.
The Germans took Tula South of Moscow despite a massive effort trying to protect it (Here they got one city too far)
They didn't take Kerch on the Crimean peninsula (I think historically it was taken in 1941, retaken by the Soviet in the 1941-42 winter and retaken again by the Germans during the spring of 42).
The Finns again took all Soviet cities in the Kola-Karelia sector except for Murmansk.
Tikhvin fell again in the winter of 1941-42 so Leningrad was again isolated but with the new German siege technique it's very tough to hold it if you don't get minefields built between it and Narva, which wasn't able to. So far it's cost me a dozen AA guns, and at least 20 other units and it's still just hanging by a thread in the fall of 1942 (Ends each turn with only 1 or 2 units left...)
But the most amazing was 1942 as the German summer offensive again rolled along historical dates. Sevastopol held till July against 2 Karl mortars and dozens of German bombers...It cost the Germans a lot but despite my best Civ2 technique I could just not hold it! Kerch also fell in June so the Germans are pushing on Novorossyisk in the Caucasus region in October 1942. Moscow was under attack again in 1942 but the hardest push was against Voronezh, Serafimovich, Stalingrad and Rostov. Knowing exactly what to expect I prepared for holding those towns especially Rostov which I knew was difficult to hold. I had it fortified with 6 AA guns, 6 NKVD troopers, 4 La-5 fighters + a dozen assorted offensive weapons to strike down the attackers (T34s and Katyushas) + 10 Red Army troops to take the casualties. No way the AI was going to win that fight... Well guess again! By August 1942 Rostov fell and the Germans tanks advanced are into the Caucasus!

This is one tough scenario to win, there are no give aways here!
Old December 3, 1999, 18:15   #15
James Otis
Settler

A STUPENDOUS scenario, Captain Nemo! Superb! Will there be a page on Alex Mor's site soon?

Captain Nemo:

Could you kindly assist me in an issue. I am looking for some cities for "War for the Colonies" my upcoming scenario. Read post called "Hello All." Can I use some of your city icons? If so, thank you, my friend. The scenario shall be excellent.

------------------
-James Otis, protester of the writs of assistance.
Down with the Townshend Acts!
Old December 4, 1999, 01:02   #16
Mathieu
Settler

Hello Captain Nemo & Everyone else. I'm new to this board, but have been lurking around Apolypton & the board for a little while... i must say man, this is the best CivII scenario i have ever played, i love it and congratulate you a thousand times for such an addictive and realistic scenario, WWII is one of my hobbies and this just really gets me pumped

Anyway i usually don't play on emperor even but i decided to get the 'full affect' and i must say it's really fun. So here is my attempt at bringing you... 'news from the front'

It's March 1942 now, most of the westernly towns had fallen to the Germans before winter came. Most notably Kiev, Minsk, Smolensk, Tallin. Although the German attacks have let up quite a bit since the coming of Winter, Moscow, Leningrad & Rostov are under heavy attack. The Finns did quite well up north but our stuck at the defense line near Leningrad. Gomel holds strong even though it is now enclosed by German cities & units, mostly because of the partisans coming from the marshes. The Romanians did not fair too well and i seem to have some control over the south which is quite a relief (although i have no idea what will happen come summer). The Germans have captured as far west as Tula in central USSR and have almost split the country in half, travel between the north and south is hard. The coming of Winter was a big relief as the planes were really hitting hard on my cities and my units were dropping like flies... We will see how i fare during the rest of the winter and hopefully survive the coming summer months....

Anyway.. i would write more but i must play! again i congratulate you on a great great scenario. I especially like the events and the dialog, really brings the game alive. Thanks a lot again on all who worked on this work of art, you will hear from me in the future!

- Mathieu
Old December 4, 1999, 08:34   #17
Captain Nemo
Prince

James Otis:
Unfortunately, Alex's site has been full for a while (Max webpage size) and he cannot get more space without paying an arm and a leg so for Red Front to appear he would have to drop something else...

Mathieu:
Nice to hear reports from the Front... Yes, the Romanians weren't doing too well in the South in version 1.0. In the next release I don't think anyone can hold Sevastopol through the summer of 1942, mainly because the Germans have learned how to use the "Karl" siege mortars and they pound the city with 2 shots each per turn, ie. your 4 best defensive units are dead at the beginning of each turn!
Old December 4, 1999, 12:44   #18
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Just curious:

Did anyone manage to destroy the Germans before the scenario ended on deity? I tried and only killed them all by late 1946. Jim, I assume you've probably done it, but tell me how!? Tips? And when did you kill them off.

BTW-Getting Scandanavia was a pain in the ass. I had to wait until winter and attack with Red Guardsmen or Siberian Troops, and if I'm really desperate, Cossacks because of their All as roads capability. Or I'd just get some armored infantry from the convoys.
Old December 4, 1999, 14:01   #19
Captain Nemo
Prince

I reset the victory parameters so a decisive victory is possible on Deity by November 1945.

To win you must free all Soviet cities and capture Poland, Czechoslovakia, Romania and Berlin. Your Western Allies should have taken care of the Western German towns and historically the Germans capitulated while still occupying all of Scandinavia.

Ronne on the Danish island of Bornholm was one of the last pockets refusing to surrender, it was bombed by the Soviets after the official German surrender and ultimately the Soviets occupied the island for a while before begrudgedly returning it to Denmark when the other Allied nations protested.

By November 1945 I had reached the above objectives and set the decisive victory just another 5 points better than what I had achieved to make it challenging yet possible.

The last thing I am working on is the Allied bombing raids in 1944-45. These will destroy the infrastructure around German industrial cities via change terrain.

I am considering placing a Soviet controlled "Ruin" unit on each bombing spot. This unit would have high defense and be stationary, like a fortified battery. It would allow the Soviets to see what's going on in the German back country, would prevent the Germans from reusing the terrain square, and would serve as a protected "base" for advancing Soviet units later in the game... What do you think?
Old December 4, 1999, 19:02   #20
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 22:50
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Errata: NW of Warsaw there's a city named "Cunaxa". Unfortunately, there is no such place in Poland. I suggest you rename it "Kutno" (which is in that area).

Cunaxa was the battle near Babylon which was the starting point for Xenophon's "March of the 10,000".
Old December 4, 1999, 19:29   #21
Kull
lifer
King

Doppelganger!
[This message has been edited by Kull (edited December 04, 1999).]
Old December 4, 1999, 22:37   #22
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I can't wait!

And I think the "ruin" unit's a good idea.
Old December 4, 1999, 23:55   #23
Captain Nemo
Prince

Kull:
You came across an AI built city! Probably extracted from the original Aztec(?)city names file... There is no such city in the beginning of the scenario. I thought I had "packed" the cities densily enough in the German held sectors to discourage the AI from building any new ones, but this can happen when the AI gets "Slave Labor" units. What are the location coordinates of that city? (I'll place a real one there to prevent the AI from doing this again)
Thanks for the info
Old December 5, 1999, 01:23   #24
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

yeah, I found Cunaxa too, but overran it.
Old December 5, 1999, 12:11   #25
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

After playing the first turn using MOO units and terrain (LoL!) because I missed the part about running Summer41.bat in the readme file, Prince Stalin of USSR is having his arse kicked by both Finns and Germans. No defensive strategy yet and I kinda forgot about starting to buy improvements in the Caucasus for a while.:-)

------------------
St. Leo
http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old December 5, 1999, 15:48   #26
Captain Nemo
Prince

Version 1.1 will be sent to Allard either Monday or Tuesday. I don't know how long it will take him to post it on CSC, maybe not before next week-end?

If anyone wants it at the same time I send it to Allard please send me an E-mail so I can "parallel-send" it to you. It's a bit bigger than version 1.0 so you need at least 3MB of mailbox space to accept it (hotmail.com, for example, will not accept that much mail at once)

I am play-testing the Allied bombing of Germany, adding a JagdPanther V unit to the German arsenal for 1944 and a new title page. Everything else is complete.
Old December 5, 1999, 16:06   #27
Allard HS
Prince

Local Time: 07:50
CSC will be updated either tonight or tomorrow morning (got a couple of new scenarios). I couldn't update earlier (anybody wants to help????).
Nemo, if you send it before tomorrow morning, I can update it then. After monday morning, I'm gone till friday
Old December 5, 1999, 18:46   #28
Captain Nemo
Prince

Too bad, Allard, it will have to wait till next week-end because it won't be finished until Monday night or Tuesday.
You should have it in your E-mail by next Friday.
Old December 5, 1999, 23:10   #29
Kull
lifer
King

Nemo:

Cunaxa is at coordinate 25,82.

Putting a city there (or nearby) isn't a bad idea, but I also recommend adding a modified city.txt file. That way, when the Germans build a city, at least it will have a European name.

As for my game, it's progressing fairly well. My Winter '43 offensive was a big success. I reached the line Riga-Daugavpils in the North, grabbed Tula, Kaluga, & Byansk in the Center, and reached the line Zaporozhye-Perekop in the south. My only setback came when the large force attacking from Voronezh ran into a huge counteroffensive coming from Kursk. I was lucky to extract a few survivors and barely held on to Voronezh! I relied almost entirely upon T-34/85's and all-terrain infantry. Transports were key to extending the offensive in the north & south, and saved the day at Voronezh.

Now that summer has arrived, I plan to rebuild the road infrastructure, consolidate my new acquisitions, and try to continue the offensive. I've never had any offensive success in summers past, but if the Russians don't keep pounding away, we'll never get to Berlin by next spring!

My biggest problem on the offensive is going into negative-gold after conquering a German city. I really hope you were able to fix this, as it definitely wreaks all sorts of havoc. But i'm not complaining at the moment, since somehow, after 5 months of no $$, I have +29,000 Gold(!?). Can you say "speed-buy-everything"? LOL
Old December 5, 1999, 23:56   #30
Captain Nemo
Prince

Kull:
Thanks for the info about Cunaxa. As far as the cities.txt you may end up with all kinds of weird city placements. To avoid that I could either call all the cities "Settlement No.X" or make all the names "blank" so cities will be on the map with no apparent names or pick a bunch of obscure German village names so they sound right but aren't necessarily in the right spot?
On the cash overflow I realized it soon after releasing version 1.0... The new version features German "Concentration Camps" whose maintenance cost rises steadily through 1945. In 1943 it's 200 gold per turn. The German AI churns them out in every conquered city and thereby cuts back on his own cash production. In spring 1943 the Germans have 15,000 gold. If you want to fix it in your current game, you could enable the cheat mode and reset the German and Soviet money. Of course the score will show you cheated, but you know yourself that you did it to fix a bug.
A Soviet summer offensive is definitely possible in 1944, if you have built-up the Urals to produce lots of the tough units. Earlier in this thread (Or RED FRONT ROCKS)I outline my "massive strike" strategy which really wiped out large numbers of Germans with reasonable Soviet casualties and allowed a relatively fast and systematic conquest of the German held cities. In 1944 the Germans still get help but only in form of a few good units per turn. Expect to see mostly Panthers and Tigers, which are tough but in small numbers.