Old August 15, 2003, 14:14   #1
klesh
King

Local Time: 03:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Getting Cities to Appear Correctly
Greetings,

What am I missing involving the appearance of cities in a scenario. One can set them, especially using civtweak, to avoid the traditional tech-based methods of getting to the higher or more advanced city slots, but even then there appears to be more.

It seems that the view of the human player somehow has a hand in the appearance of cities. I have set civs up to their corresponding city types, but only when viewing the map as certain (and of course the non-himan) civ do things appear properly. However, only some of the civs are involved. Some of them are taking their designations straight away, without issue. Others are blatantly ignoring their civtweak settings when viewed by the intended human civ.

Setting the protagonist doesn't seem to have any effect.

I have cities which definately need to have particular looks, and am at a loss as to what to do further, any ideas?

Thanks again,

-FMK.
Old August 15, 2003, 16:18   #2
Art of War
Civilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 01:26
i think you just have to set their tech levels. deny the one of the four tech advance techs to each of the civs....i think one of them if electricity, i can't remember the rest, but whenever you research it, it makes your cities change...
Old August 15, 2003, 16:25   #3
klesh
King

Thats what I mean by the traditional way... I am pretty certain that civtweak is able to make these settings w/o using the tech method. :-/

-FMK.
Old August 15, 2003, 17:07   #4
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Do you really need the two slots from industrialization and automobile that badly? If you'd make them techs with "no, no" prerequisites you'd dodge the whole problem at the cost of two technologies, which you can probably make up for with plumbing and U1-X7 or whatever the last extra tech is. This is just me talking, but it makes more sense than messing around with editors.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old August 15, 2003, 17:39   #5
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Techs are necessary for Industrial and Modern cities. I learned that the hard way.
Old August 15, 2003, 17:45   #6
klesh
King

I think something if definately wrong. I managed to use the in-game editors to 'temporarily' solve the problem of a civ using the ancient/classical style. It worked, I saved. Reloaded, its gone. Grrr.
Old August 15, 2003, 18:23   #7
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

So, are you back FMK? Or am I just jumping to conclusions again?

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old August 15, 2003, 20:02   #8
Boco
King

Local Time: 02:26
Don't know whether this is common, but I've seen the same city change its style when you change the view or the human player via the cheat menu. No techs were edited and nothing changed via CivTweak. In fact I did nothing but press shift-F3 or shift-F2. In this example, the top city shows when the AI civ that owns the city is selected; the bottom when the human civ is selected.

[Edit] Welcome back FMK!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	jaghbub.png
Views:	107
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	51537  
Old August 15, 2003, 22:35   #9
klesh
King

@ Boco, yeah that is quite common, and was really the reason I spotted the cities being wrong or odd in the first place... I then made sure I was viewing as the intended human player, and still saw problems.

In particular, I cannot seem to get these things to stick. Even without going into the editors, simply loading a file seems to cause some undesired effects. I cannot seem to keep leader/ tribe names and adjectives to stick either. I PMed yaroslav about this and he is looking in to the file.

I think it could be part Civ (or civ editor) wierdness and part corrupted sav file. Not sure just yet.

@ techumseh, yeah I suppose, though I wouldn't really say I ever left.

Here's the idea I am trying to achieve... more trial and error fiddling involved, I think I have it. For a time. What I have noticed is that the barbarian city type (which is set by setting the 'Romans' civ in the in game editor [even if they aren't in the scen at all]) seems to affect what civs will actually display their proper city gfx. Strange.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.gif
Views:	102
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	51542  
Old August 16, 2003, 04:07   #10
fairline
King

Local Time: 07:26
Hey Rob, welcome back

This must mean you are working on scenarios again?
Old August 16, 2003, 06:11   #11
curtsibling
staff

Local Time: 08:26
I think someone is going to complete the Blitz!
Old August 16, 2003, 07:24   #12
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 17:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
@ techumseh, yeah I suppose, though I wouldn't really say I ever left.
*Reports FMK for having a DL*
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old August 16, 2003, 12:49   #13
klesh
King

Hi Fairline, Case, Curt, et al.

Problem still affecting me. Posted that screenie after having gotten it right, only to find them reset later. Still not sure what the problem is. Rules.bak keps poping up for no reason so I think i could have some kind of overactive in-game editors. This is why I prefer to use utilities and text editors instead of the in-game garbage.

I just hope that I can set them right before saving as a scenario, and they will stick then.

@Curt, nope not the Blitz.
Old August 16, 2003, 13:00   #14
Arthedain
staff

Local Time: 09:26
the final gigamap version of lebensraum1939? *cross fingers*
Old August 16, 2003, 13:02   #15
klesh
King

Old August 16, 2003, 14:59   #16
Exile
King

*SHOCK! AMAZEMENT!*
You mean that you're NOT saving as scenario whenever you make changes?!?!?

Maybe I'm missing something here. Hmmmm.
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.
Old August 16, 2003, 15:40   #17
Cyrion
King

Good to see you, FMK!
LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464
Old August 16, 2003, 19:15   #18
klesh
King

Exile, no, never! My thoughts were that saving as a scenario was only trhe final step. If you always save as a scenario, I would think that player 1's science and money accumulation would increase every time they 'start' the scenario.

I have always saved as... well, sav. 4000bc still.
Old August 16, 2003, 20:07   #19
Arthedain
staff

Quote:
don't be scared.. tell us the truth and we're all yours. you know that
Old August 17, 2003, 03:09   #20
Exile
King

True. However . . . .
While it's true that saving as scenario will advance the time flow, it has its advantages when one works with the ingame editors. Apparently most despise these editors, but because I was more fearful of trying to work with the text files, I persevered with the editors and learned their quirks. The final thing that I do when completing a scenarion is to set the date and turn, and then set up the political situation. Just saving a game doesn't quite work to save certain things done with some of the editors. Saving as scenario freezes things like saving doesn't. No idea why. Not all the editors work the same way. I've got a book around here somewhere that describes the quirks--somebody else worked it out before I came along. I think it was John Possidente's guide to Civ2 scenario building.
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.
Old August 17, 2003, 03:40   #21
techumseh
Emperor

That's right. "Save As Scenario" is needed for the scenario parameters stuff. Otherwise I just save the game, until I need to finalize the scn. file.

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old August 17, 2003, 09:30   #22
Mercator
Emperor

You can also load a scenario just like a savegame.
Just select "Load a (Saved) Game", change the filename in the open dialog from *.sav to *.scn and you'll see scenarios.

It loads just like any other savegame.

The only difference, I think, with saving the game is that you have to turn the cheat menu back on.

This might be handy, as saving as a scenario apparently has some advantages... or in case you lost your savegame and starting the scenario normally screws things up badly (think Red Front after one turn).
Old August 17, 2003, 12:29   #23
klesh
King

Re: True. However . . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by Exile
Just saving a game doesn't quite work to save certain things done with some of the editors. Saving as scenario freezes things like saving doesn't.
Perhaps this may help me? Perhaps the city styles and tribe/leader names are truly 'saved' when you use the editors, then save as a scenario.

Not only have I been experienceing resets with the city styles, but also a number of leader names and tribe names are getting myseriously reset too. Maybe I'll try this other technique.

Mercator, if I rename the .sav file suffix to .scn, then what is the difference between that file and a genuine .sav? In other words, is there a difference in the information stored in these two filetypes?

Thanks eveyone.
Old August 17, 2003, 14:07   #24
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

That's not the cause of your tribe/king problem Rob, if save files would reset king and tribe names then we wouldnt be able to load savegames from scenarios without that happening.
Old August 17, 2003, 14:49   #25
klesh
King

shutup!
Old August 17, 2003, 14:51   #26
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

I aim to please

Last edited by Henrik; August 17, 2003 at 14:58.
Old August 17, 2003, 15:01   #27
Mercator
Emperor

Re: Re: True. However . . . .
Quote:
Not only have I been experienceing resets with the city styles, but also a number of leader names and tribe names are getting myseriously reset too. Maybe I'll try this other technique.
Are you using the in-game scenario editors? Those change the rules.txt, right? You should also use the "Edit King" dialog in the cheat menu to change everything.

When you start a game, all leader names, tribe names and adjectives are loaded from the then used rules into your savegame. If you change the rules afterwards (manually or by using the editors) the game will still keep using the names stored in the savegame.
The only way to change the names stored in the savegame is through Cheat > Edit King > Edit Name.

An alternative is to edit your rules before you start the game in the first place. That way the right values will be loaded from the start.

Quote:
Mercator, if I rename the .sav file suffix to .scn, then what is the difference between that file and a genuine .sav? In other words, is there a difference in the information stored in these two filetypes?
That's a good question, but I don't know the answer for sure...
A quick comparison shows only 5 bytes are different, one is a known scenario flag.
This scenario flag is what makes sure the cheat menu is off again.
Old August 17, 2003, 15:16   #28
Mercator
Emperor

And your problem with the city styles might just be the other way around. Set the styles both in the rules, and using CivTweak.

CivTweak will adjust the style of the human player, the editors/rules.txt will adjust the style of the non-human players.
Old August 17, 2003, 15:21   #29
klesh
King

Re: Re: Re: True. However . . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator

Are you using the in-game scenario editors? Those change the rules.txt, right? You should also use the "Edit King" dialog in the cheat menu to change everything.
Yes, I am using the 'Edit King' feature soley for the tribe/leader names. Genrally I stay as far away from the ingame editors as possible.

Quote:
When you start a game, all leader names, tribe names and adjectives are loaded from the then used rules into your savegame. If you change the rules afterwards (manually or by using the editors) the game will still keep using the names stored in the savegame.
The only way to change the names stored in the savegame is through Cheat > Edit King > Edit Name.
Right! This is why it is so confusing to me! I have been changing names only with the Edit King thingy as stated above.

Quote:
An alternative is to edit your rules before you start the game in the first place. That way the right values will be loaded from the start.
Yes, I have noticed that after starting, manually editing Rules.txt has no effect. But once again it seems that the game wants to revert to the defaults even after using the editor. Whats worse, is that it sometimes changes leader names, usually changes tribe names, and sometimes changes all but ne civ's worth of data.

Odd happenings, much like the favourite "Franklin Roosevelt attack near London!" type popup messages for missile attacks.

Old August 17, 2003, 22:41   #30
:) Smiley
Emperor

Local Time: 00:26
I would stick with just Rules.Txt editing unless there is a major reason not to.