Old August 16, 2003, 02:55   #1
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 01:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
does anyone still play diablo 2?
I lost my first post so I am giong to copy this one first

I jsut started playing a version of 1.10 (I think it is a beta)

I have a levelk 16 paladin
35 str
60 dex
45 vit
15 e
1 in zeal
1 in sacrifice
1 in smite
1 in might
1 in holy fire
1 in thorns
1 in blessed aim

I was going to do this
5 in zeal
13 in holy shield
20 in vengence
10 in holy freeze
20 in fanaticism
20 in conviction

but after seeing that things like holy freeze add to my damage and (if I understand correcntly) things like Salvation raising the damage of holy freeze and vengence just by having the skill (not using it)

I am thinking of something like this
4 in zeal
20 in vengence
20 in holy freeze
20 in salvation
10-20 in resist cold (because it adds 14 to holy freeze and 6 to vengence)
or 20 conviction
or 20 fanaticism

now obviously I have wasted at least a point or three if I change and I would like to not waste anymore

so what do people think is the best?

can you use conviction (to take down resists) and than have it in effect when you switch toi holy freeze?

Jon Miller
Old August 16, 2003, 03:06   #2
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

it is sort of hard to change right now because

thorns is to go up towards conviction
blessed aim is to go towards fanaticism
smite is to go towards holy shield

I guess smite could go towards charge and maybe I should be using thorns right now (have been using holy fire and might) but blessed aim just sucks

Jon Miller
Old August 16, 2003, 03:23   #3
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 00:27
I just started playing again with that previous diablo2 thread. It's funny how just reading about a game makes me want to play it.

I did create a Paladin. I'm not sure how viable he will be. I didn't want to do what I did before. So I just threw a whole bunch of points into Smite . I'm not sure how useful he will be. I currently just have a spiked shield. So my smite damage isn't all that hot. And a Smiteadin is more of a PVP build. But I rarely pvp, I'm more pvm.
Old August 16, 2003, 03:25   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

and it's better to use holy freeze, and then switch to conviction. It's called "flashing" holy freeze.

And I have read that it's better to use more offensive auras. So I'd stick with conviction (the one that lower resists) rather than salvation (the one that protects from elemental damage). Though that can be useful against oblivion knights.

I have heard good things about holy shield- but that's more related to the smitadin build. If you aren't using a shield that isn't necessary.
Old August 16, 2003, 07:37   #5
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 07:27
Unorthodox stills plays, so does HTower. Direct IP games with 1.10 being arranged in this thread: http://central.masterzen.net/index.p...=ST&f=15&t=554

I think The Mad Monk is still into it too.
Old August 16, 2003, 10:52   #6
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 09:27
Well it kinda depends wheter you actually use a Shield
Old August 16, 2003, 13:50   #7
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 23:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
I will start playing again when 1.10 gets released fully. I've been saying that for hmmm *checks watch* more than a year now, since that's how long this damn thing has been delayed.
Old August 16, 2003, 14:13   #8
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

holy freeze adds to your damage when you hit and causes damage of surrounding enemies

it is one of the changes is 1.10

threfore I am thinking I won'tflash it

I leveled up zeal to 4 in the mean time and took up vitality 10

Jon Muiller
Old August 16, 2003, 15:23   #9
Sharpe
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:27
I have started experimenting with several characters (Paladin, Sorceress, Assassin) with the 1.10 patch. I am finding it a fair bit tougher than 1.09 (especially those upgraded minions) - I nearly died in the Den of Evil and did die in the Countess's Tower playing MP with another person...
Old August 16, 2003, 19:09   #10
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 23:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
1.10 promises to be loads of fun if it ever comes out. I must admit, I did take a few hours one night and experimented with the characters.

Using the item packs from diabloii.net I made a pretty sweet blade assassin. Those little stars are now 3/4 weapon damage and they leech . I used a delirium helm, a crescent moon weapon, bramble armor, whatever the new unique ring w/ chance to cast tornado and charges of heart of the wolverine, and an atma's scarab amulet.

I put zero points into traps. I maxed venom and shadow master, and stuck a point in the blade thinger (it's better with only 1 point because it costs less and the +dmg with more points is next to nothing)

This character ended up being ridiculous, part because of the great equipment I had selected, but I have a feeling it would still be tough w/o godly equipment as long as you have the delirium helm.

My char had chance to cast lighting, chain lightning, tornado, confuse (goes off all the time), and several other spells. These all work with the blade thinger because they are cast on striking. Venom damage also works with the blade deal. With the crowd control the confuse provided and the amount of life leach I had from my equipment, it was actually pretty easy walking thru hell act 5. I didn't play too far, and I'm sure there would be harder parts, but this build definately works.
Old August 16, 2003, 19:16   #11
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 02:27
I used to play Diablo II. I just recently stopped playing it. I think I'll start it up again, if I can get through the 45 minute installation.
Old August 16, 2003, 19:31   #12
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Still in it. Actually, just bought the game last month.

Got a 27th-level Paladin (v1.09), Hammer/Concentration build (both at skill level 10, with the other points going to the prereq skills, plus 1 each into Sacrifice and Zeal). Right now, I've smashed the Compelling Orb in Act III, but haven't entered the Durance yet. I'm planning to clear Normal with him, then retire him.

Re your planned build-- I'd suggest pumping either Conviction or Fanaticism. Or Concentration, or Vengeance, or anything other than the Resist One Element auras.
Old August 16, 2003, 19:35   #13
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

well vengeance is already planned to be bumped

the point of the resist one aura is that it would boost holyfreeze+vengeance alot

not really sure if it would be worth it though

Jon Miller
Old August 16, 2003, 19:50   #14
korn469
Emperor

I used to play back in the day, but i'd only play hardcore, after i beat it, and i had a bunch of characters, but i'm too risky...i found two rings that had like a lvl 6 requirement and one would leeched 3% and some other things and the other leeched 4% so i was always a sacriden...though lag and LE enemies killed me around level 29 and that just frustrated the hell out of me, but even worse it killed everyone playing with me and i lost the rings

plus i think d2 was giving me carple tunnel, so i quit for a while and haven't played it since because my computer messed up
Old August 17, 2003, 03:05   #15
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I used to play d2 so much it hurt my fingers and hands. But I havnen't been playing that much lately.

And yes my earlier post is relating to 1.09. I only play on b.net, so I'm not sure how 1.10 changes things.
Old August 17, 2003, 04:05   #16
muxec
Prince

Local Time: 10:27
Diablo sucks. It looks like some second sort console arcade.
Old August 18, 2003, 20:30   #17
Verto
King

...anyway.

Are there any good Diablo-type games that have come out since Diablo 2, that you guys would recommend?
Old August 19, 2003, 12:46   #18
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I still play in spurts. I start a character and play through Normal and Nightmare and then start a new one. Plus the Cow level.
Old August 19, 2003, 12:53   #19
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

an update

level 20 or 21

have upped strength only recently

have put a skill point in holy freeze and vengeance whenever able

Jon Miller
Old August 20, 2003, 03:06   #20
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:27
Just installed it again, using the LoD expansion too.
Anyone have any hints for a Druid?
Old August 20, 2003, 15:18   #21
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Unorthodox stills plays, so does HTower. Direct IP games with 1.10 being arranged in this thread:
Since I'm home I just started playing Diablo 2. I've got a lvl 38 Barbarian on Nightmare. Thanks for the thread.
Old August 23, 2003, 11:13   #22
C0ckney
King

Local Time: 08:27
you bums have started me playing this again!

going with a paladin, dunno which direction i'll take yet, haven't finished act I, i'm leaning towards conviction though (playing 1.09 without LoD).

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old August 23, 2003, 15:56   #23
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I just got into playing it again too, with the SO. LAN-gaming with a sexy *****, booyah
Old August 23, 2003, 18:58   #24
Verto
King

I regret that I succumbed and put Diablo I, II, and LOD on ebay, as well as many other games I no longer play. Anyone want to recommend me a replacement for Diablo (same genre, etc.) ?
Old August 24, 2003, 04:23   #25
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I heard something about Divine Divinity. But I'm not sure about that one.

Vox came out about the same time as Diablo 2.

As for Druid strategies I have many. I usually play a werebear or werewolf. I enjoyed my werebear stint. massive damage and hitpoints. I liked the fact I could go toe to toe with mephisto and andariel and not have to use healing potions. I tried a elementalist one time, but didn't really enjoy crappy spells like Tornado
Old August 24, 2003, 10:01   #26
Sharpe
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
regret that I succumbed and put Diablo I, II, and LOD on ebay, as well as many other games I no longer play. Anyone want to recommend me a replacement for Diablo (same genre, etc.) ?
Hmm, there is always the now relatively cheap Diablo Battlechest ...

Another possibility is Dungeon Siege - but I have found that is more like Diablo-lite rather than like Diablo...
Old August 28, 2003, 01:13   #27
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I heard something about Divine Divinity. But I'm not sure about that one.

Vox came out about the same time as Diablo 2.
I liked the fact I could go toe to toe with mephisto and andariel and not have to use healing potions.
You mean you dont use at least double digit leech %?

I had a friend who had a pally that always relied on potions to regain health. I never understood why he did that.
Old August 29, 2003, 05:56   #28
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Still playing my Barbarian, I'm on Act 3 Nightmare.

Getting to really hate Fetishes, since I'm playing with 2 swords, and no shield.

I'm at lvl 42, so I am starting to get some exceptional items, War Swords, Long Swords, etc. What I'm going to do before I get to Tranvincal is to do some runs for chipped gems so that I can 3 chip the exceptional swords. I have a 3 chipped rune sword, but I want to have a chipped exceptional flamberge and a chipped exceptional war sword.

I really like my cold iron wolf mercernary, he slows everything down, so that I can pound away without worrying about damage. We still have problems with large groups of enemies, particularly champions with cold enchanted/ immune to cold / cold aura, that slows me and my merc.

I have 14 points in Whirlwind, and 8 in Natural resistances. I'm still trying to decide what I want to do with the rest of the skill points, whether I want to upgrade berzerk or go with points in sword mastery to up my hit percentages.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:48   #29
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

obiwan, 3 chip colossal swords instead. Keep rerolling the mod until you get cruel - evisceration, or at least 150 - 300 dmg on the sword. Put some shael rune, or leech jewels or additional ED jewel/rune on it and your set to go.
Old August 29, 2003, 17:51   #30
Zero
King

I started playing diablo II again last week.

I have a lv 83 Zon using a.... goldstrike.

My mf barb is working hard to find a decent bow for my zon, but I'm sure I can easily Rush you guys w/ goldstrike in normal and NM.

If anyone wants to play a game or need help just pm me.