Old August 16, 2003, 09:53   #1
Turrosh Mak
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Does waste hurt the AI more than me?
Would the AI be harder to beat if waste were not a part of the game? The computer seems to have no clue about FP placement and doesn't make "disbanders" to help its really corrupt fringe settlements grow, the way a human does.

Is there a way to turn off waste in Civ 1.29f (no PtW) to try this out?
Old August 16, 2003, 12:24   #2
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 01:28
i think it would help the ai grow superpowerful- you know, in the rare occation that a single ai dominates all it's neighbors and becomes a superpower. i think it would only help them in cases like that. most ai have such small territory it won't make a difference.

i think there is a corruption slider in the editor with 1.29, but i'm not sure.
Old August 16, 2003, 14:13   #3
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 01:28
i believe there's always been a corruption slider in the editor.

i myself turn corruption totally off.
Old August 16, 2003, 14:45   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:28
Waste (AKA Shield corruption) is normally worse for the human than the AI, and I justify that with the following (only):
Once out of despotism, the AI will irrigate many more tiles than the human would. In a total-grassland city radius, about half an AI's tiles would be irrigated, while I would irrigate NONE (or possibly 1) and mine the rest.

By reducing or turning off corruption, the AI would benefit as much as the human from the financial standpoint only.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old August 16, 2003, 18:15   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe

Once out of despotism, the AI will irrigate many more tiles than the human would. In a total-grassland city radius, about half an AI's tiles would be irrigated, while I would irrigate NONE (or possibly 1) and mine the rest.

By reducing or turning off corruption, the AI would benefit as much as the human from the financial standpoint only.
Without addressing the question of weither or the AI suffer less corruption. I would say the simple fact of the AI irrigating more tiles in Despotism, is a sign of bad logic, nothing more.

I mean why generate more food than you need, if you are not even producing settlers or workers? If the AI was to mine more it would be better off, in the case you mention.
Old August 17, 2003, 09:56   #6
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 09:28
i actually think, the AI would have a greater gain if playing without shield corruption. especially those island distant cities where he takes ages to build a harbor (for connection) or even just a worker to connect it to the next city, while a human player might even send in some obsolete units to hurry the production there.

the only corruption advantages the AI has are the shorter governement trasition times (just 1 on deity, iirc).
Old August 18, 2003, 05:54   #7
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 12:58
I would say the AI actually buys buildings once ina while... and corruption is something that is a nusience... more so for a human player than AI
Old August 20, 2003, 00:18   #8
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 02:28
Corruption definately hits the human harder, but the AI more than makes up for it with it's stupidity.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.