View Poll Results: Good idea to start anew?
Great idea elijah, and welcome home! 7 50.00%
No way! I'm not giving up my stupendously ridiculous advantage, even if it does mean the death of this game! Go away elijah. 3 21.43%
Banana 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 16, 2003, 18:02   #1
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 07:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Nationstates revitalisation
In my absense *cough* it seems that this forum has started to die a slow death.

I propose we make it more lively, like it was earlier this year.

To do that, this will sound drastic, but we need to abandon our current nations, which have all grown to gargantuan proportions, and start afresh, and equal. We create new nations on the same day, or within a short space of time.

That way, new people can join and not be intimidated by the giants, and we will face much greater competition from each other... making it fun!

Some people will obviously be reluctant to give up their advantageously large nations, but methinks its for the best. Its not in the best interests of the game to have people who are effectively on "god mode", at the expense of those that would join and those who are smaller.
Old August 16, 2003, 20:35   #2
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 17:28
Lots of people will be in god-mode regardless of the size of their nations.
Old August 16, 2003, 20:50   #3
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 18:28
I'll have to think about this - I'm certainly not just going to let my old nations be deleted, but I wouldn't especially mind having a 'blank slate' for the regional RP. It'd allow me to start acting a bit more freely on the NS forums with my existing nations, if nothing else...
Old August 17, 2003, 05:39   #4
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

You mean like moving them to Melkor Unchained's region and starting wars with everyone?

What happens when the new nations reach a population of 3.8 billion?
Old August 17, 2003, 07:10   #5
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:28
Ask me when that happens
Old August 17, 2003, 09:43   #6
Pave
Call to Power Democracy GameCall to Power PBEMCall To Power SuperLeague
Prince

Local Time: 10:28
Its crazy enough to work!
One thing, can I destroy my old nation and start a new one with same name? Because I can't let Pavesia to non-Pave people
Old August 17, 2003, 11:40   #7
Urban Ranger
Deity

I am not sure, you need to ask the admins.
Old August 18, 2003, 02:40   #8
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Pave
Its crazy enough to work!
One thing, can I destroy my old nation and start a new one with same name? Because I can't let Pavesia to non-Pave people
No. Once a nation is deleted, no-one can use that same exact name.
Old August 18, 2003, 16:26   #9
Whaleboy
Prince

We could presumably keep our old nations, but only RP with new ones.

I do wish there was another, more detailed (and free) nationstates-like forum where the populations grow much slower, thereby still creating an inclusive environment for others. Like I said, as it is now, the gigantic rule this place, and until I came back, it was boring! Shall we set a date for the creation of new nations? 1st September sounds obvious?
Old August 19, 2003, 10:36   #10
Pave
Prince

Hmm, I'll make The United Sosialist states of New Pavesia, but I'll leave the old Pavesia to Apolyton, if it's possible.
Old August 19, 2003, 12:12   #11
Pave
Prince

More RP answer:
The goverment of Pavesia had desided to make a new nation with other on September 1st to retrive Apolyton forum. The old Pavesia is going to be a autonomic part of the New Pavesia and together they make the Pavesian Sosialist Union (PSU).

Old August 19, 2003, 12:19   #12
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 08:28
After being gone for such a long time, I was forced to start anew, but I'm pretending it's my old nation. I hope my neighbours still recognize me! I think the new issues will bring new life to this game.
Old August 19, 2003, 21:18   #13
Whaleboy
Prince

Agreed.

What do we do about the nations who do not comply?
Old August 19, 2003, 22:27   #14
Urban Ranger
Deity

What do you mean?
Old August 19, 2003, 23:00   #15
Squeblish Nef?
NationStates
Prince

Location: Warning: This text is next to an Avatar. DO NOT READ UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!
Are we allowed to create more than one nation?
Or back them up with our bigger nations?
Old August 19, 2003, 23:11   #16
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

I'd be inclined to say no, on both counts (with exceptions). Using puppet states in alliances has been quite popular (I did it myself), but it doesn't really add anything to the game, and once one person starts doing it, everyone thinks they have to. The only real exception I can see would be to have puppet states that are not allied with one another, like that guy did with Upper and Lower Riis.

On the issue of enforcement - a simple answer. If the majority of the region decides to do this, and someone refuses to comply, we ignore them, and possibly eject them from the region if they get annoying enough. As a region, we don't have to RP with anyone we don't want to.
Old August 19, 2003, 23:29   #17
Mr. President
Emperor

I agree with the General.

By the way . . . welcome back Mr. Capone. Long time no see, indeed.
Old August 20, 2003, 04:19   #18
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Personally, I am against this idea, and forcing people to stop using their nations now seems a little silly to me. We have watched these nations grow. Am I the only one that is a bit attached to their nations, whether it has turned out as we expected or not. Akiria and Zetaris are important to me, and I don't plan to simply give them up, because someone else thinks it wouold be fun to start again. Besides the unrealism (all nations don't start from an equal place) we will lose out considerably in inter-regio RPing and trade. We have much power at the moment due to the size and power of our nations. That will not continue if our region goes from 80 odd Billion to 600 Million. Also, there aremany people in Apolyton that do not used 'Poly, and so will not a) be consolted about this or b) will not take part in it. Doing this will mean Apolyton becomes completely isolated from the rest of the world, unable to RP with the other thousands of nations who will not restart.

Now, I think it would be far better to petition Max to restart the game afresh, and put all nations back to 5 Million people new nations. But with just Apolyton doing it, it makes us incredibly insular, and goes against all the "Apolyton is free to anyone" that this region was founded as. Ejecting people because they refuse to comply? That is going way to far. Let Apolyton use the same rules as the other 90,000 nations, and not decide to be different and go against the rest of NS

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old August 20, 2003, 08:52   #19
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

BTW: I have no idea how to voted. I'd lie to say:
No way! I'm not giving up my stupendously ridiculous advantage The idea sucks, makes us so insular it will be the death of the region and welcome home

Old August 20, 2003, 10:00   #20
Whaleboy
Prince

Drogue: It depends on how degraded this game has now become. One cannot deny that it currently sucks! You don't have to give up on your nations, rather, you create a new one and RP with only that. There is nothing stopping you from keeping your big nations.

Still, nationstates.net and apolyton.net have a different dymanic, partly because non poly people use NS. Hence, we can RP on NS with current nations, but on apolyton, we have smaller nations.

One possible option is to use the strength of economy etc as a means of determining a new population size, regardless of what is said on NS. That means that relative strengths can be maintained while competition can still be provided by newcomers.

Another possible option would be to create the "apolyton II" region or something.

Let me emphasize this point, if things carry on as they are, this game will most likely wither and die.

I agree that we should not eject people for not complying, rather, just ignore them. With enough people on board, the rest will follow.

Drogue: As you stand to lose the most (in terms of RP power) if this plan is carried out, we can take your views with a pinch of the subjective salt . Nonetheless, if we are to continue playing this game, have keeping it healthy and accessible to others, drastic measures are required.

That will mean people giving up their precious advantages. On the other hand, that will provide a challenge, whereas now, the larger nations are almost like playing a shoot em up on god mode! Thats not good for the game.

In terms of inter region conflicts and power play, well since I've been here, thats represented little or nothing in this game, and we can live without it. As such, as you put it, being insular, would not in fact be too harmful. If a large nation decides to move into apolyton region after that, well we can still have our big nations on NS to ensure they behave .
Old August 20, 2003, 14:52   #21
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

I think the only thing to keep this game alive is expansion in issues and maybe other variables that are all out of our hands and up to Max (whos books I've read and are awesome so I have faith in him!).

I'm kinda non caring about the starting again since I was forced to. But I pretend I haver my old nation which is pretty damned old and the power players here know my strengths from memory.

The whole rpg thing of some nations being so big they can bully other around, well, it is my experiance that the rp @ 'poly is more about case arguments then something like "my citizens have bigger penises than yours!" or is that penii? So whether it big or small for rp doesn't matter.

Until economic sanctions can be made and the economy of one nation is dependant on another etc, size really doesn't matter, does it? Once the game gets as intergrated as that the Max will probably restart it anyway.
Old August 20, 2003, 15:14   #22
Drogue
staff

How about we start Apolyton II and start nations there? That seems like a sensible idea. We can password protect it against other large nations coming in, and leave Apolyton like it is

Old August 20, 2003, 15:39   #23
aahz_capone
Prince

You can password protect regions? If so I recommend this:

A completely Apolyton only region called Neo Apolyton (why should we be second to anyone?) and no old 'poly nations are alloud, everyone who wants to play must be new. this will keep it to the hard core players and we won't have to deal with scum from other regions. The password will be given here at apolyton.net and if anyone manages to sneak in a massive nation from like say, civfanatics (are we still at war with them? I had a whole spy nation network there...) we'll have them banned from out region by the moderators.

but really, we must all agree on a name first if we do this.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:05   #24
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

If we go with the new region idea (which has crossed my mind too, and looks like a good solution), then it's pretty simple - we create the new region (we could call it Apolytonia, New Apolyton, or whatever people want...), password-protect it, and ebcause it would have a founder, we can change the password and/or expel intruder nations if need be. The only problem that I can see is forum use - do we continue using this forum for old and new regions (thus creating confusion), stop using this forum for the old nations, or create a completely new forum?

As for CFC - no, we aren't still at war with them, if we ever were, and they seem to have broken up into two regions by now. Their original one seems to be dying, though I'm not sure about their new one.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:44   #25
Urban Ranger
Deity

I don't think a new forum will be allowed by the owners, so that's out of the question. I suppose you can just prefix all threads wrt the new region with something like "New Apolyton: blah" so people can tell right away.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:48   #26
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Ejecting people because they refuse to comply? That is going way to far.
I agree with that. Furthermore, I don't see the problem having massive and small nations coexist in the same region. Sure, the massive nations dominate because they can run over the small nations militarily, but in NS this can be stopped by other massive nations allying against the bully.
Old August 21, 2003, 03:33   #27
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
I don't think a new forum will be allowed by the owners, so that's out of the question.
I wasn't thinking of a new forum here - I meant a new forum on a new site. Since, however, this would create more problems, I'm not advocating it, merely saying that this is one possible solution.

Quote:
I suppose you can just prefix all threads wrt the new region with something like "New Apolyton: blah" so people can tell right away.
Well, that's another possible solution, although of course as soon as you make that a rule you'll have people forgetting to do that or just not bothering, and we'll probably need a forum mod to enforce the separation between the two regions...
Old August 21, 2003, 03:50   #28
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 19:28
Of course you could just roleplay with your new nations as opposed to the old ones
Old August 21, 2003, 03:52   #29
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy
Of course you could just roleplay with your new nations as opposed to the old ones
Well, yes, we could, and that's what I'd be inclined to do, but I have no idea what everyone else thinks, and there wouldn't he any real way of enforcing that.
Old August 21, 2003, 03:53   #30
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 19:28
What would be more interesting would be the "superpowers" (i.e. the current nations) and the new states.

I suggest we all get a new nation (i.e. a small one) and see how we can all survive against the large superpowers by allying et al.