Old August 16, 2003, 20:28   #1
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 10:29
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Future Applications!
Ok guys, let's hear your ideas about what is needed in the computer software world. So, I've been thinking about few things myself, but later found out they have already been made and are not that new thing.

I'm not trying to steal any ideas, my programming skills are not that high that I could make something significant that isn't already made, at least not yet .

So, what is needed, and what you guys want and/or expect future will SOON give us?

Doesn't have to be anything massive, like new OS, can be just little things too.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old August 16, 2003, 20:29   #2
Pekka
Emperor

ALSO, if you know any interesting programming projects, that maybe has a website too, please tell us something about it (general info) and then provide us link to it.
Old August 16, 2003, 20:30   #3
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:29
Civ4, with a round, full 3d map of the globe.
Old August 16, 2003, 20:33   #4
Pekka
Emperor

Ok, good one Spiffor, but let's rule out games and patches to games.......
Old August 16, 2003, 20:35   #5
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 02:29
an interface controlled by your thoughs
Old August 16, 2003, 20:36   #6
Pekka
Emperor

korn469, in near future.. No sci-fi please... Yeah it would be cool, but it's not very realistic at this moment.
Old August 16, 2003, 20:40   #7
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 01:29
1) Real, reliable voice recognition
2) Real, reliable Image recognition (security, and for things like the screen adjusting itself depending where you're looking)
3) True "everything is networked" world
4) Intelligent AI that is capable of learning
Old August 16, 2003, 20:42   #8
Pekka
Emperor

Good ones Asher

Do you know any interesting projects going on, or about to be launched and perhaps website to it?
Old August 16, 2003, 20:45   #9
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 07:29
Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
korn469, in near future.. No sci-fi please... Yeah it would be cool, but it's not very realistic at this moment.
About 10 years ago, computers that fit in your hand weren't realistic either
Old August 16, 2003, 20:47   #10
Pekka
Emperor

Comrade Tassadar, Sure.. but 10 years in this scene is a long time.. I'm talking something like... in the next few years.
Old August 16, 2003, 20:48   #11
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Well my uni in particular is working on the "monitor can recognize where you're looking" model, and even has prototypes working. And IBM and Intel are both pouring tons of money into voice and image recognition.
Old August 16, 2003, 20:51   #12
Pekka
Emperor

Asher, really? That's awesome. So, soon you'll be able to control mouse functions with your eyes? Good one for people that are paralyzed from the neck down. Is that your goal, or are there other uses for this kind of thing? Naturally it can be used in gaming, I bet that would give something new to for example war games.. .

Voice and image recognition naturally is available already, so it's more about making them reliable I guess.
Old August 16, 2003, 20:51   #13
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:29
Asher :
By "learning AI", you mean an AI that is capable of rewriting its own code according to the circumstances and its own adaptation patterns (both pre-programmed by humans and programmed by itself) ?

I have thought about this, and I think such a program would rapidly become a very very slow monster, as it's had to check an always bigger program to know how to adapt to any new situation, and the result would be would make the program even bigger...
Old August 16, 2003, 20:54   #14
Pekka
Emperor

Spiffor, that's why you need skilled programming, so it can compare which method is the best, the old or the new suggested one, and then goes with the better one?
Old August 16, 2003, 20:56   #15
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Asher :
By "learning AI", you mean an AI that is capable of rewriting its own code according to the circumstances and its own adaptation patterns (both pre-programmed by humans and programmed by itself) ?

I have thought about this, and I think such a program would rapidly become a very very slow monster, as it's had to check an always bigger program to know how to adapt to any new situation, and the result would be would make the program even bigger...
It doesn't need to be reprogrammed, but it would require a ton of storage and advanced hardware.

It's all about decisions and learning from your mistakes. For example, if the AI tried to touch something, and it was electrocuted, it would store memory about the conditions of what he just did, and the outcome. The next time when he sees similar conditions, he'd remember the outcome.

It's that basic concept, made a lot more complex. It doesn't need to reprogram itself, just needs to add more cases and eventually start generalizing (almost like data mining). With generalization techniques, and fuzzy logic, it can determine what to do based on probability.
Old August 16, 2003, 20:59   #16
Sandman
King

Local Time: 08:29
More Sims-type 'people' games. How about a Big Brother game? Or Survivor? Officially licensed, of course.

And a man/machine interface, of course.
Old August 16, 2003, 20:59   #17
Pekka
Emperor

I find AI very interesting in general. I don't know much about it. Are there any good websites about AI, explaining how it really works, maybe forums, sources, FAQ, ABC and 123, AI for stupid people, glossary, massive links section??
Old August 16, 2003, 21:01   #18
Pekka
Emperor

Ok, games are allowed, but they must have something really new, so little patches won't do. Sandmans ideas might qualify for the thread.

How do you figure this game would work? How do you play it?
Old August 16, 2003, 21:03   #19
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
SkyCar

http://www.moller.com/skycar/

Mis Novias
Old August 16, 2003, 21:05   #20
Pekka
Emperor

Ted Striker, nice . However I fail to see how this is about computers.. . But it's a nice vehicle.
Old August 16, 2003, 21:07   #21
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
true but the computer on it is supposed to do all the driving and also the stabilization of the engines

Mis Novias
Old August 16, 2003, 21:10   #22
Pekka
Emperor

Oh.. well then I guess it qualifies too. Must check it out again.. I'd go with stabilization of the engines doesn't count, but if it drives for you, that would qualify .
Old August 16, 2003, 21:15   #23
Sandman
King

Local Time: 08:29
You go into the Big Brother house, and you have to win.

You start by designing your character. My initial thought was to give the character a set of points which could be 'spent' on personality traits and your physical appearance, but I decided that would be too game-like. Better to let the player build whatever character they want, and simply get enjoyment out of winning with the annoying fat girl.

Once you enter the house, it's time to start making friends. You could try and make friends with everyone, but they might see you as shallow and a weak target for voting off. You could try building up a strong clique, but you'll have to stab them in the back, and other contestants may feel threatened by your naked alliance building.

Having a romantic fling may help you with the viewers, but can you keep your partner happy, or will they turn on you? Will you use up all your jokes in the first week (with characters with a good sense of humour being able to make more during the game) or will you save them in order to build up your relationship with a select few? Your intellectual posturing may help boost your self esteem, but will it get you voted off?

I think this concept could go far. Thoughts?
Old August 16, 2003, 21:15   #24
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
Well my uni in particular is working on the "monitor can recognize where you're looking" model, and even has prototypes working. And IBM and Intel are both pouring tons of money into voice and image recognition.
Yeah I've used one of those machines, my Uni had one which made a little dot appear on the screen wherever you looked. They were using it to track eye movements when reading even though there are so many more uses. I was going to ask if I could borrow it to play Quake or CS with

They're huge and very expensive but most things are at first.
Old August 16, 2003, 21:23   #25
Pekka
Emperor

Sandman, well.. I think it is potential and very interesting but not yet... We'd need one impressive AI to handle the other players (hey that would be fun multiplayer game) and their reactions and everything. They should be able to learn you, and you should be able to do and say what you want. So there's realistic interaction, and not too limited choices what you can do. But if it can be made so, that the AI is very good on the players, it would be interesting. Of course by then the game would take 100 cd's .
Old August 16, 2003, 21:28   #26
Pekka
Emperor

But then comes the problem of creating realistic and 'logic' personality, and how that reflects to other people and to the whole game.
Old August 16, 2003, 21:42   #27
MattH
King

I'm still waiting for a cheap projected keyboard like the one demoed a couple of years ago.
Old August 16, 2003, 21:45   #28
Pekka
Emperor

I thought I just saw an article about it.. let's say less than 6 months ago? In some computer mag. I can't remember if it was only at it early stages, but I kind of recall it already being ready, or at least very close to being ready.
Old August 16, 2003, 21:46   #29
Pekka
Emperor

And it was definitely cool! I'd also like to have one of those projected monitors as well. Would be nice to take your computer with you, lap top size with the 'puter in, and then projectors that gives you keyboard and monitor of your choosing
Old August 16, 2003, 22:22   #30
Neutrino
Settler

Local Time: 02:29
"Intelligent" network routing - a router compares its current load to nearby routers to evenly distribute / optimize network traffic.

AI / machine learning - apps are too numerous to list, can be applied to the above.

Better operating systems - easier to use and more intuitive, handle resources more efficiently

Programs to check soundness of other programs/algorithms - some of them already exist, will help reduce # of faulty and buggy programs

Anti-spam software (I wish...)

Algorithms for data mining in large databases

New techniques to analyze and integrate various biological data, including data mining.

The Matrix