Old August 16, 2003, 20:41   #1
Gufnork
Prince

Local Time: 07:29
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Despotic Golden Age
Some of my favourite civs has one major drawback. Way too early Golden Age. It's totally wasted in despotism. Does someone have any advice on how to handle it?
Old August 16, 2003, 23:15   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:29
That covers a lot of civs, want to give us a clue as to which one? Easy one is Greece, just don't let the Hoplite doing any fighting. Some of the other like Hammy, I don't make bowmen until I want to trigger. Egypt is not hard, but Rome is harder.
Any that use a sword type are harder IMO as you hate to not use them.
Old August 17, 2003, 00:31   #3
Gufnork
Prince

I never use swordsmen ever. Too slow. The thing is that I really don't want to avoid using their UU. Iroquis is one good example, with those kickarse MW that rules the ancient age. Egypt is another that has War Chariots you can summon en masse to wreak some havoc. The thing is that I'm not sure the early war advantage is worth the loss of the Golden Age. I want tips on how to make the Golden Age work for me, not how to avoid it.
Old August 17, 2003, 00:54   #4
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

well to make early GA work... here are improvements you should do:

-Grassland: mine
-Shield Grassland: just road
-Plains: irrigate
-Hills: mine
-Forests: chop as much as possible.
-Mountains: ignore unless nothing else to do

Just some general tips.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.

Last edited by Panzer32; August 17, 2003 at 12:16.
Old August 17, 2003, 03:34   #5
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

It really depends on your situation. While a Despotic GA certainly isn't something to look forward to, it can be a tool just like your UU. You have to take advantage of the circumstances at the right point. Sometimes that may mean waiting and keeping your guys out of the way to conserve your GA, other times it means sucking it up, launching a horde of units and using your Despotic GA to make that horde even bigger.

After all, if you conquer 4 civs using a very early GA/UU, how could a later GA have possibly helped you any more than that?
Old August 17, 2003, 05:33   #6
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 08:29
If you have 6-8 reasonable cities up, ie mid ancient era, a despotic GA isn't a problem. I find it generates enough benefit to significantly help me and can mean getting an early GW I would otherwise have no real chance of.

The one civ I hate is the Aztecs as you really don't have a choice but to build and use JW's very early. There are times I almost suspect the AI of deliberately attacking one to trigger my GA.
Old August 17, 2003, 09:39   #7
Gufnork
Prince

Panzer: Irrigation does nothing to grasslands either. And it's very good in plains or grasslands without shields, but I tend to start in grasslands and there's usually enough shields to cover my population, meaning that the extra shield is wasted. I wouldn't mind getting the golden age early if it wasn't for the fact that I waste shields.
Old August 17, 2003, 09:41   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 01:29
I wouldn't irrigate the shielded grassland unless I knew I was going to be in Monarchy or Republic. Definitely irrigate Plains and mine unshielded grasslands though.
Old August 17, 2003, 12:17   #9
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

sorry; forgot about the irrigation thing. Edited my post to reflect that any improvements besides road is useless on a shielded grassland in a despotic GA.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old August 18, 2003, 06:11   #10
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:29
It's hard, very hard I find, to not mine shielded grass in the early game just so as to focus on irrigating plains and mining the unshielded grass, but that is theoretically the way to go to maximise the early GA.

If I see a plains-dominated starting terrain that now says "good early GA" to me.
Old August 19, 2003, 12:18   #11
badman
Warlord

Local Time: 09:29
I try to avoid a despotic Golden Age at all costs.
The only occasion I don't avoid it, is when I am able to build the Pyramids with Egypt and have access to horses.
Then you have two great advantages (free granaries which I love and those awesome War Chariots) which can make up for the lost GA.

BTW: I usually prefer Swordsmen instead of Horsemen, even on huge maps.
Old August 19, 2003, 12:22   #12
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 01:29
Quote:
Originally posted by badman
I try to avoid a despotic Golden Age at all costs.
The only occasion I don't avoid it, is when I am able to build the Pyramids
Exactly my dilemna in the Naval PBEM I recently dealt with.