Old August 19, 2003, 12:47   #31
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Another key element of monarchy is the linkage with religion. In the little scifi that I've seen / read, religion has little influence, at least on the political system. However, during the times of absolute monarchy, religion was instrumental to get the people's loyalty.

It is possible that space colonization brings much uncertainty at all levels to mankind. In such circumstances, religion will strengthen, and the need of a 'strong man' as well. A strong ruler pretended to be the envoy of God / Gods / Pink Unicorn or whatever may emerge and found a hereditary or semi-hereditary monarchy. It is imaginable he decides who is his successor (the next envoy of God) the same way the Dalai Lama does.
Old August 19, 2003, 12:51   #32
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 01:30
I have seen a couple of instances were religion is seen to be important, but the scenerio entailed sort of a reactionary political climate after a great interstellar war had decimated what was there before.

BUt even with religions, if one has a mass political movement, hereditary aristocratic titles and a monarch does not to me seem the wisest choice. Some fsort of one party state, a despot, an oligarchy of the rich, all those seem much more reasonable than a feudal monarchy, yet feudal monarchy remains a popular theme. Dan lazy writers.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 19, 2003, 22:39   #33
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:30
It seems to be that when you have a starfaring nation, there's not going to be much religion left, mainly because there is not going to be a lot of mysteries left.

Unless, of course, the technology to move among the stars is discovered accidentally, like finding an alien artifact, in which case some otherwise backward species could go star-hopping.