Old December 14, 1999, 23:24   #1
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Best WWII Scenario Award
I nominate Microprose's WWII. Despite many a historical flaw (There are fields of grass instead of Baku) it is brilliantly balanced (Why the hades does everyone make scenarios superhard these days?) and fun. More nominations?:-)

------------------
St. Leo
http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old December 14, 1999, 23:30   #2
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I hereby nominate Red Front by Captain Nemo.

HA! Beat you all to it!
Old December 15, 1999, 00:33   #3
benedetti

I support each and every of the words written by tovarich St Leo.

That is two votes for Microprose's WWII (the only WWII scenario that did not bore me to death after the first two turns )

Old December 15, 1999, 00:37   #4
Fast_Eddie

Yeah! Put me down for Microprose too! That was a great scenario!

Old December 15, 1999, 15:40   #5
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 06:52
New Germany...it was better then Anstieg (in playability that is)
Old December 15, 1999, 16:06   #6
JPetroski
Prince

Well, this is a very bad thing that these awards are so soon in coming. Does anyone know the exact date? Hopefully sometime in March if Aufstieg (the first scenario designed and created by the CIV2 SCENARIO CREATION TEAM comprising of myself, Jim Winchell, Mike Daumen, Stefan Hartel, Allard Hoffelt, and Dan Meadow) is to be ready to compete openly with Red Front.

This scenario promises to be totally inovatting for a ww2 scenario with a new strategic bombing which has an actuall affect on how many of certain units you have in your aresenal and many other surprizes.

The scenario, when completed, will be absolutely huge. Possibally well over 20MB in size including sound, and all that tedious download time will be rewarded by a truely breathtaking scenario of unparralled brilliance.

Well anyway, that's my rave/self promotion for the day =)

Thanks for your time,

------------------
John Petroski
JPski7@aol.com
Old December 15, 1999, 18:07   #7
Paul Hanson
King

Depends how you look at it, this does. For general flair I`d have to go with Red Front.
For military tactics and a need for careful planning, Up The Deadly Boot rises above the rest.

The problem that some WW2 scenarios suffer from is being too easy as the Russians (Red Front excluded, obviously). This applies to Microprose`s scenario and New Germany (on New Germany, I got a bit fed up after I`d liberated Amsterdam in 1943). For some reason, Ansteig never worked on my PC, so I can`t have an opinion on that.
Old December 15, 1999, 20:08   #8
Captain Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 05:52
Is this an objective or subjective rating?

If a criteria like the Scenario League's scoring system (Points for playability, innovation, general care and artwork) is used the MPS scenario wouldn't score very high because it only has playability going for it...So I assume either it's subjective or playability is the number 1 concern?

I will not vote because I would not want to vote for one of my own scenarios and I truly believe Red Front is way above anything else made in this group.

I would like to nominate a few more entries that should be considered:
Battle of Britain (by Dan Saccavino)
Harlan's WWII in Europe
Harlan's WWII in the Pacific
Afrika Korps
2194 Days of War (Cheeeers!)
Old December 15, 1999, 20:25   #9
St Leo

I guess I should make an awards site since you guys assumed that this was more than a discussion starter. No matter, I wanted to do that for a while anyway.:-)

------------------
St. Leo
Old December 16, 1999, 01:17   #10
Black Dragon

Another vote for Microprose.

Old December 16, 1999, 22:03   #11
MagyarCrusader
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 21:52
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Red Front.

And I agree with JP and Stefan.

------------------
Canada sucks
France is worse

Assassin of the Anarchist Supreme of the Disgracefull PROT!
Old December 17, 1999, 01:05   #12
JPetroski
Prince

Yes Nemo, Red Front is the best WW2 scenario out there.... For now....

I have to "de-nominate" Afrika Korps from the running as I personally believe that it is my worst scenario ever (so bad that I am going to remake it some day).

My vote is for Red Front. Personally as a WW2 scenario designer I take it as a personal insult that Microprose's lackluster (by today's standards) attempt at a WW2 scenario should get so many votes. I dont think that scenarios built that many years ago should be even allowed in HAC. I was under the impression that this was a year to year competition where only scenarios built during the year were allowed.

John Petroski
Old December 17, 1999, 01:17   #13
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

THAT CRAP OF MICROPROSE?????
I understand that you don't want to be bored to death after two turns, but this Microprose scenario is an insult to everyone having anything to do with or have any interest in WW2! Give me two days and I will make you a better scenario without any altered Game files!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Follow the masses!
30,000 lemmings can't be wrong.
Old December 17, 1999, 17:12   #14
Saint Marcus
King

Red Front is made with ToT right?

anyway, I like WWII scenarios that feature the entire European conflict, not just one area (Russia, Brittain, Africa, etc)...and I like to play as the French
Old December 17, 1999, 18:19   #15
Allard HS
Prince

Local Time: 07:52
Red Front is for Fantastic Worlds.

Personally, I think quite the opposite of you, Mark, I prefer one area than the whole picture of the war, and not only because that is more original.
I like playing as French or any weaker nation, and that's why I like Red Front, cause I was shocked by how bad it looked for me at the start.
Old December 17, 1999, 18:23   #16
NickC
Prince

Wow, Captain Nemo. A bit full of yourself today, are we? Hehe. Even though John's scenario isn't here yet, I vote for it. Hehe. I can do that, can't I?

Yeah, this is my first post in about a month or two. Down with computer viruses!

JP, will the C2SCT be making a website? Let us all hope not, I am sick of stupid Civ2 websites popping up. I say keep Apolyton, SL, HAC, SPAC2S, CSC, and that's it. The Sidgames Civ2 section, in one word, SUCKS. There is nothing there to see, and bad layout, everything. SidGames to me just focuses on graphics, no content, and thinks it can feature 30 games, VERY OLD, old, new, and VERY NEW when half of them are empty sites while the ones that aren't empty, once again, in one word, SUCK. That's another issue though, now isn't it?

Nick posts his words of wisdom for the holidays. Unless someone argues with me, I'm out until New Year's Day (if my computer hasn't exploded) or Valentines Day.

Now, for the Santa Smile Extravagansia:

WOW!
Old December 17, 1999, 19:29   #17
St Leo

Give me two days and I will make you a better scenario without any altered Game files!!!

I patiently await.:-)

C2SCT & SPAC2S

What do those stand for?:-)

The Sidgames Civ2 section, in one word, SUCKS. There is nothing there to see, and bad layout, everything.

I never claimed otherwise.:-)

SidGames to me just focuses on graphics, no content,

If you want to volunteer to provide content, we welcome thee.

and thinks it can feature 30 games, VERY OLD, old, new, and VERY NEW when half of them are empty sites while the ones that aren't empty, once again, in one word, SUCK. That's another issue though, now isn't it?

Yes, it is.

------------------
St. Leo
Old December 17, 1999, 23:35   #18
Fast_Eddie

YESSSSS!!!!! The one made by Microprose IS the best one made!!!! Maybe it was just the feeling you first get when you play a scenario, but I really loved that scen. The playability was great because you could do anything you wanted in it! Now, reasons why I DIDN'T like the other WWII slections mentioned...

Red Front
I was very impressed by the amount of work Captain Nemo did on this one, and the way it looks is phenomenal. I just don't exactly get into a game of civ as much as some of you guys do, so I didn't exactly think of myself as Zhukov when I killed a Wermacht unit. I really tried playing it, but alas, it slipped away from me on the second turn...

Anstieg
Too big. Too long. I got mad when I didn't take over the French in one turn. I liked the graphics, and it was obvious that JP spent a lot of time on this scenario, but by the second turn I needed more space on my computer...

2194 Days
Fantastic! I made it to three turns! My only motivation was that I wanted to see the really good German tanks . Perfectly balanced, but the casualties were just a bit too high, losing 18-30 units per turn wasn't a exactly a happy event...

New Germany
I actually played about 10 turns of this one. It was one of those scens that had really great playability. I could attack the Soviets whenever I wanted, or I could go through Turkey, or take Britain, etc., etc.....some of the graphics were strange, but this is still the next after Microprose.

The Third Reich
Jeszenka's scen. I wasn't really sure of the name....I didn't like it cos it felt like I was just doing what I had to do, and going off to conquer yugoslavia just wasn't part of it. I like it when I could take France in one turn. Good fun until the third turn; moving units is annoying....even if they do look good....

Deadly Boot
Too big. Too long. I just didn't get into it. Wonderful work though! I was very impressed.

Harlan's scens
GREAT!!!!!!!! I had fun with these until my files were corrupted (I still don't know how!), and I haven't d/led them again. Very nicely done.

Global WWII
Andrew Living's scen. Whatever happened to him? Anyway, it was well done, and I got to the 14th turn before a quit. Not bad at all.

*Note-these are opions subject to dispute....feel free to object to any of these statements ...but the words above are not ment to take anything away from the designers of the scenarios. I was impressed with them all, but they did not appeal to me. Just a little bit of an explanation why I thought that the microprose scen was better than these.

-later
[This message has been edited by Fast_Eddie (edited December 17, 1999).]

Old December 18, 1999, 00:33   #19
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Hey Fast Eddie, you know where that Andrew Livings scen. is? Or do you have it. If so, could you send it to me? And his Europe one too if you have it. If not, thanks anyway. Just hope you actually read this...
Old December 18, 1999, 08:45   #20
Captain Nemo
Prince

What's with this "Nick C"?

Does he have nothing better to do than to show up here and insult people? He certainly loves to throw his opinions around and then retract them with a "just kidding" comment when he gets caught...

I propose a "Foot-in-Mouth" Award to be given to the person who post the most stupid threads/opinions/annoying comments and makes the least valuable contribution on Scenario League... Let the voting begin!

Well, I don't want to vote for myself so I'll abstain...
Old December 18, 1999, 17:02   #21
Saint Marcus
King

I agree Captain Nemo...Nick is constantly insulting people while his own scenarios are crap. And he also never finished his website or his new scenarios...he has no right to insult people since he has done nothing to prove he can do it better.

And since Red Front is in FW I will download it right away! I'm always in for a challenge!
Old December 18, 1999, 17:55   #22
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

It is a good day to die.
Old December 18, 1999, 17:55   #23
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Good fighting Comrade!
Old December 18, 1999, 19:57   #24
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

In case anyone gets the wrong idea. Those two posts were for Mark, I'm not sadistic!
Old December 18, 1999, 20:20   #25
Fast_Eddie

Actually Mark, he did finish his website, but it was on CivNation. Buried with Temba's.

Now, we could get back on topic if you all would like...

Old December 18, 1999, 21:56   #26
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

I loved Adrew Livings' scenarios. They were the first WWII scenarios I throroughly enjoyed playing. I played his Europe one as the Turks and did amazingly well.
Old December 19, 1999, 18:39   #27
NickC
Prince

First off, Mark, the only reason you have something against me is because you thought I was like 15, when I kept saying I was 18 (which I am) and you just couldn't get over that I was older than you.

I finished the website, the WW1 and WW2, and Napoleon scenarios, but my computer crashed 4 times until I got this new one, so shut the hell up your damn *****.

Captain Nemo, I love how the human mind works. Someone says just kidding 2-3 times, maybe even once, and they interpret it as "ALWAYS saying just kidding" when it is not ALWAYS. Lay off the weed, Jules Verne.

St. Leo, I'm glad you agree with me!

And everyone, you will see what I'm talking about Christmas Day. Maybe I should show you guys some Napoleon screenshots, and never give you the scenario as your punishment. Hmmmmm...I could of done that if my computer hadn't crashed. And no, I'm not lying so don't go on saying its bull.

Once again, Captain Nemo, lay off the flaming papered goods for a while. Maybe thats whats making you so full of yourself, bragging about your damn scenario. When a turn took half an hour, I gave up and thought "Wow! This guy really does have no life!"

GOOD DAY, SIR!

------------------
Nick Crown (Greek.)
Yasou!

Old December 19, 1999, 18:41   #28
NickC
Prince

Oh yeah, and:

I'M NOT JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Nick Crown (Greek.)
Yasou!

Old December 19, 1999, 21:05   #29
St Leo

It is a good day to die.

Spoken like a true Klingon Warrior.:-)

------------------
St. Leo
Old December 19, 1999, 21:59   #30
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Thank you....now if only I could figure out how to say it in Russian.....