Old December 19, 1999, 23:14   #31
Captain Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 05:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Nick:
You just proved my point. No further comments needed.
Old December 19, 1999, 23:18   #32
Captain Nemo
Prince

Mao & St Leo:
Isn't that a line from "Little Big Man" spoken by a Cheyenne Warrior?
Old December 19, 1999, 23:43   #33
Captain Nemo
Prince

Fast_Eddie:

I think your evaluation is correct: Most of the really good historical WWII scenarios are tedious and it is really your main complaint about every scenario you mentioned... Turns are too long, goals are too remote, too much work to move the units etc... and of course the Microprose scenario, which is horribly flawed as far as having anything to do with WWII, isn't very difficult to play because there are few units, no new rules to learn, no special tactics, no events and no challenge.

I absolutely destroyed the AI by 1942 every time I played it, except when playing as the French.

But what irritated me the most was the total lack of historical accuracy and that's why I decided to make "2194 Days of War", which led to "Red Front" (Narrowing the focus) and will lead to "War of the Rats" (If I ever find the time...).

Playing only 2 turns of Red Front you probably missed the point of the whole scenario which is to follow the Soviet technological/industrial build-up that eventually leads to the defeat of Germany. This is done through Wonders, new technologies and building/improving cities which changes the focus of the game to aspects that are usually ignored by "wargames".

I am not trying to convince you that you should have played Red Front beyond the two first turns. I gambled on being able to grab a player's attention with events, graphics, changes of season, technology development until they really get into the game and with you I failed... But I'll do better next time!
Old December 20, 1999, 00:02   #34
Phoenix
Prince

Local Time: 23:52
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I vote for Mongols by Harlan Thompson.

What? You heard me!

------------------
I'm the Phoenix, MR. T was the old initials....

Old December 20, 1999, 14:06   #35
NickC
Prince

The Mongols are actually in common with the Germans, even though they were several years a part.....

Oh yeah, by the way, no **** my scenarios are pieces. No use denying that!

No, Captain Nemo, still one award that HAC should have:

THE LARGEST CRACK HEAD

I nominate Captain Nemo, the king of not the sea, but the joint! Not the captain of the Nautilus but the captain of crack.

No, Captain Nemo, even though you probably THOUGHT (which is hard for you to do) there was "just kidding" in the text above, you were either high or drunk at the time and didn't pay attention.

Once again, please stop the compulsive drug-use while browsing these forums. Good day.

------------------
Nick Crown (Greek.)
Yasou!

Old December 20, 1999, 14:24   #36
Captain Nemo
Prince

Nick:
Thank you for helping me prove my point in such a convincing manner.
Old December 20, 1999, 15:28   #37
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 06:52
First off, Mark, the only reason you have something against me is because you thought I was like 15, when I kept saying I was 18 (which I am) and you just couldn't get over that I was older than you.

5 months ago you said you were 16...you sure grow fast. BTW I didn't think that you were 15, I thought that you were 12...and even if you are older (which I doubt) I don't care. I don't like you because of the way you are acting here...ask Nemo, he'll agree with me.

"Maybe I should show you guys some Napoleon screenshots, and never give you the scenario as your punishment.

Do you think anyone cares? Do you really think that you're that good? there are tonnes of really good scenarios out there that are and will be much better then yours...like Red Front.

Maybe thats whats making you so full of yourself, bragging about your damn scenario.

that is because he actually produces good scenarios...and your lame excuses about 4 computer crashes (not even windows 95 is that unstable) is just bull. sure my computer crashes a lot as well, but it never happened to me that I lost all data. It could happen of cours, but 4 times in a few months? Microsoft may deliver some crappy products, but not that crappy.

The Mongols are actually in common with the Germans, even though they were several years a part.....

The only similarity is that they both wanted to conquer the world. That's all they have in common.

And Nemo: tomorrow I have my last exams for a while and after that I'll try to play beyond the second turn
Old December 20, 1999, 16:54   #38
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Hey, people!
Calm down, please. I do not think that this thread was made to insult each other!

NickC: You should be careful in what you say. You might have your own opportunity, but you don't need to shout it out this way. If I'd say everything I think, and I would say it in such a tone, then I'd be quite inpopular (in my "real" life, not here). I'm saying this because I had several problems of this kind. I bet if it goes on like this, you'll be banned.

Nemo: Don't take it serious. NickC just can't express himself politely. No reason to go mad. Ignore him.

Phoenix:

------------------
Follow the masses!
30,000 lemmings can't be wrong.
Old December 20, 1999, 18:00   #39
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 01:52
Thank you....now if only I could figure out how to say it in Russian.....

Ehtoh hohrohsheey dehn' oomehreht'.

I am not really familiar with proper phonetic notation, so I just made up my own. The apostrophes signify soft letters.:-)

------------------
St. Leo
http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
Old December 20, 1999, 19:08   #40
Captain Nemo
Prince

Stefan:
I'm not mad at all and I usually do ignore Nick, as he has very little worthwhile to say.

This time, after a month of absence from SL, he drops in and manages to insult Mark, St Leo and myself within 2 messages of signing on. I thought my idea of a "Foot-in-the-Mouth" award was clever. His responses aren't...

I do agree with Mark on one point: It doesn't matter whether Nick is 18 or 16 or 30... He acts as a 10-year old spoiled brat.
Old December 20, 1999, 20:27   #41
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

To Mark: Es una buena dia para morir.
Old December 21, 1999, 20:26   #42
Fast_Eddie

Complaints? I have no complaints! I don't expect everyone to make a scenario specifically for me! It would be great if some people did that... , but that's not what I'm saying at all.

As for Red Front, I understood the concept of building up wonders and production in the Urals, but, being the result of a society that has the attention span of a knat, I just couldn't keep going. Some reasons why....

1. I could never make a coordinated assault, because I couldn't remember which units I had where, and when I was going to make it. I was constantly making new goals (say, one minute I wanted to retake Minsk, and then the other I wanted to drop back and defend Smolensk), and in doing so I lost all hope of ever combining these forces to do anything successfully.

2. The Germans were completely unbeatable! Now, I know that it was all for historical accuracy, but it would be nice if I could at least beat some infantry with my T-26s.

3. I never knew what to build! I knew I should build up my forces in the Urals, but I didn't know just what would keep the Germans at bay until the help would come.

None of this was your fault at all! As you can see by the response, many people loved it. It was very well done, but I couldn't prepare myself for the things it took to play it.

Old December 21, 1999, 22:17   #43
NickC
Prince

Ok, guys. I am sorry, but I have to say this. Mark is a flat-out compulsive liar! I never said I was 16. Hmmmm... And also, all the times someone sent Mark a review, guess who it came to? Me! With a message every time:

Nick,

I don't have time. Please post this review.

Or something like that saying the exact same thing. After it happened about 6 times, I quit. There's your reasons.

Stefan, I don't care, end of discussion with you.

Nemo, don't read this, your ignoring me. Remember? Thanks!

BUT, one note: NEVER call me spoiled because I am probably the "poorest" of you all. I am not poor, I have a one-story house, 2 computers, and around 5 games, so please, you all or more fortunate the me, probably or maybe. Those who are not, I wish you happy holidays. I seriously have given $100 to a family in Africa going through a civil war (no scenario laughing matter) through a program. Nemo, please, don't call people spoiled when you probably have the most money here, probably do too.

Mark, it wasn't my Windows 95. (I have 98) but it was the computer. There was a bug in something inside the computer. Sometimes when i tried turing the computer off, it would go berzerk and my screen went off for a while. Another time, my REL: Civil War Generals game was put into my CD-ROM and got stuck in there because the CD-ROM wouldn't come out, and the disc drive also messed one time and another time, one of my drives was completely missing on my computer, not in Windows Explorer or anything. I called Dell about 9 times. Scary.

As for my age, I am seriously 18, and am wanting to go to the University of Colorado for college. Then, of course, I'd actually get a white Christmas.

Haha! Yeah, the scenarios were pieces! Especially the French Revolution piece!

No Mark, I don't think you care. So what's your point?

BTW, Captain Nemo, what ever happened to that thread on knowing the American Civil War. I believe I posted a few questions that you "never got around to" answering. Interesting.....

YOU GUYS: I told you it is a different story! It is funny how I said something about Sidgames IMHO IMHO IMHO, and once again IMHO, yet you guys don't understand opinions! We have MarkL here trying to be the one to act all high and to be the one to be the hero and crap. That is sad. IT IS ANOTHER STORY, like both St.Leo and I said. Hey, St.Leo agreed with me. I have nothing against him, he is a good guy, with a great Civ2 website too. LET'S GET BACK TO THE DAMN BEST WW2 SCENARIO TOPIC, PLEASE! I'M THE ONE THAT SAID IT IS A DIFFERENT STORY, SO DON'T TURN IT INTO THIS TOPIC!

Oh yeah, AND: I change my nomination to Microproses scenario. Just finished the entire thing. Very nice! I love how there aren't 30 minute long turns, and how there aren't specific names of planes so that you don't get confused, and so that you know a fighter and bomber's power. I don't know a JUN-476 or whatever from a K-57ff34 or something! I HATE WHEN SCENARIOS HAVE THAT! YOU DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE IS MORE POWERFUL. I'm also glad you can actually see the map, but not all the enemy civ's movement necessarily. I'm pretty sure everyone knew Europe pretty well, AHEM! Oh yeah, I'm also glad the graphics aren't too cartoony. Those BRIGHT GREEN TANKS sure are attractive...I'm sure they weren't THAT bright! No bulky, fat planes either. *PHEW* No messages that come up after one unit dies every five minutes. WOOHOO! I LOVE MICROPROSE'S SCENARIO! I VOTE MPS WW2 SCENARIO!

------------------
Nick Crown (Greek.)
Yasou!

Captain Nemo: The only crackhead with common knowledge. A scary combination.

Old December 21, 1999, 23:44   #44
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Captain Nemo,

I have no clue, I heard it on TV. "It is a good day to die Comrade". How's your game going Mark?

Me? I won.....in 1946!
Old December 22, 1999, 12:04   #45
Captain Nemo
Prince

Mao:

It's also in "Little Big Man" before the battle of "Little Big Horn"... The Cheyennes felt it would be a good day to die... however Custer ended up being the one dying!

Re: Nick C

I will live by the wise words of Solomon:
"Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself"
"Answer a fool as his folly deserves, lest he be wise in his own eyes"
Old December 22, 1999, 12:19   #46
Captain Nemo
Prince

Fast-Eddie:

It's a good point... I made the map, I studied the campaigns, I remember all the city names... It's easy for me to define a strategy and stick to it. I also know which cities make good staging areas before each attack and know from-where-to-where the "goto" command works. It's still a very complicated scenario and it takes a lot of thought and strategy.

On the other hand, I don't think there is a way to make a simple WWII scenario that truly is a "WWII" scenario. MPS's is a playable regular Civ2 game set in 1939-45 but there ends its' relation to WWII.

Red Front is definitely one for WWII nuts like myself... Those types of scenarios hold my attention because every city, unit, battle, event is familiar, but I don't expect that of everyone, just as I don't care for any Fantasy scenario I've played.
Old December 22, 1999, 15:13   #47
NickC
Prince

I personally don't like living in words of others.

I do, however, believe that "It is a good day to die," quote is also in a movie I saw a while ago, I think it was Zulu, but maybe not.....

I'd nominate your scenario, Captain Nemo, but seriously, let me finish it. I will have time over the holidays, I hope, but my schedule is very tight.

------------------
Nick Crown (Greek.)
Yasou!

Captain Nemo: The only crackhead with common knowledge. A scary combination.

Old December 22, 1999, 17:34   #48
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Nemo:

Didn't Custer fight the Sioux at Little Bighorn? Or were the Cheyanne there too?

Anyway, I see you're adapting a tactic of posting one paragraph at a time....
Old December 22, 1999, 18:22   #49
Captain Nemo
Prince

King Mao:
You're right but the Sioux and the Northern Cheyenne were allied when they fought Custer together at LBH in 1876!
(I had to look it up, I thought there might have been an error in the movie)

I think they should make a special rating for me: "Kommissar" although Warlord isn't too bad considering what I'm working on.
Old December 22, 1999, 18:56   #50
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

King Mao...I like that
Old December 23, 1999, 08:08   #51
Captain Nemo
Prince

Nick:
Why waste your time playing a scenario where every turn takes half an hour, unit names are confusing, graphics are cartoonish and events send useless message every five minutes? I wouldn't bother if I was you.

Besides you already playtested it extensively for me (Although all your feedback E-mails got lost).
Old December 23, 1999, 12:13   #52
Stefan Härtel
King

Why don't we all bombard NickC with eMails? Maybe that will make him stop insulting everyone here.
Even if he doesen't care that doesen't mean that he automatically has to get unfriendly. If I would go to every thread I dislike here, post a message "I don't care-end of discussion", nobody would like me. I read it, decide wether I like it or not or it interests me or not, and give a contribution if it's interesting, or don't say anything. NickC should take this as an example.

------------------
Follow the masses!

We who grew up tall and proud
In the shadow of the mushroom cloud
Convinced our voices can't be heard
We just want to scream it louder and louder:
"What the hell are we fighting for?"
"Just surrender and it won't hurt at all"
-Brian May (Queen)
Old December 23, 1999, 19:29   #53
NickC
Prince

Once again, the human common brain goes into work. I said end of discussion to one person, and Stefan interpretes it as I said that comment to everyone. Very interesting, the human, brain.....

Captain Nemo, good point! I'm glad you agree with me, finally.

Yeah, I am in this topic, I once again say:

I VOTE MPS'S WW2!

And I'm the one who told everyone to get back to the thread's subject, so please do so, instead of babbling on about me.

Yeah, um, you bombard me with E-Mails, I simply block you from my E-Mail account. AT LEAST I post my comments here, and not be an immature fool posting in people's Mail Box.

I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING anyways besides post my opinions on a scenario, say Sidgames sucked, and I even said, THAT IS ANOTHER STORY because I wanted to get to the subject of the thread. Obviously, you do not understand, now do you. So, let us get on with the thread topic, please. Thanks.

MarkL:

MONGOLS & NAZIS: both war powers who invaded much of Europe, both massive empires who both were eventually defeated, ruled by well-known leaders even to this time, both killed many, both considered extremely brutal, and, shall I go on?

Ok, now, MarkL is going to debate this, even though every single word is true. He will say "noooo! its not true" because he can't admit he is wrong. Nobody knows the REAL story behind what happened at the Scenario League, and please don't ask, because I don't want MarkL to lie about it again. BUT THAT IS ANOTHER STORY, so end of discussion there. NOW we get on with the thread topic. Thanks.
Old December 23, 1999, 20:41   #54
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

So Nick, your final nomination Microprose? You've changed it a bit.
Old December 24, 1999, 07:14   #55
Stefan Härtel
King

*cough!* *cough!* Moderator! We have an *cough* extreme case of *cough* misunderstanding here that *cough!* *cough!* escalates into *cough* *cough* insults which is *cough* forbidden by the Apolyton rules *cough* cough*
Old December 24, 1999, 09:17   #56
Captain Nemo
Prince

I agree with Nick C let's get back on topic...and let's get some more votes. I know there are a lot more supporters of RF out there! Start voting!

Current tally (By my count)

MPS WWII scenario: 5
St Leo, Benedetti, Fast-Eddie, Black Dragon, Nick C

Red Front: 4
Mao, John Petroski, Michael Jeszenka, Paul Hanson (?)

Up the Deadly Boot: 1
Paul Hanson (?)

New Germany: 1
Mark L

Mongols: 1
Phoenix (MrTemba sticks to his guns: There are no WWII scenarios worth voting for!)

Old December 24, 1999, 09:45   #57
Stefan Härtel
King

2194 Days of War!!!

------------------
Follow the masses!

We who grew up tall and proud
In the shadow of the mushroom cloud
Convinced our voices can't be heard
We just want to scream it louder and louder:
"What the hell are we fighting for?"
"Just surrender and it won't hurt at all"
-Brian May (Queen)
Old December 24, 1999, 11:07   #58
MarkG

People, please take any personal problems on e-mail. Not here. Not everyone wants to see this kind of stuff on this forum. And dont ruin a good thread. Thanks

Old December 24, 1999, 11:29   #59
NickC
Prince

Yeah, MPS's scenario it is for me. And Mao, I've changed it once, so don't put your brain to work too. I went from JP's scenario that's coming out, to MPS's scenario, and that's it. So please, read the thread carefuly before you post.

MPS's scenario was actually very good, IMHO, I haven't played Red Front yet, but I seriously don't have the time to play ANY other scenario. Merry Christmas, everyone!

------------------
Nick Crown (Greek.)
Yasou!

[This message has been edited by NickC (edited December 24, 1999).]
Old December 24, 1999, 12:55   #60
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Do you really think my brain works? If it did, do you think I'd be at this site all day?