Old August 18, 2003, 19:44   #1
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Gator download pop-up
I don't remember which pop-up it was now, but one of the pop-ups just tried to download gator on my system.

I was able to prevent the download and could have easily killed it even if it had succeeded, but I can imagine there are others who would find this far more annoying if they don't know how to kill it or don't have firewalls to block it from calling back out once downloaded.

Just thought I should mention this here.

Thanks.
Old August 18, 2003, 19:54   #2
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 09:35
How do you kill gator?
Old August 18, 2003, 20:18   #3
Chilean President™
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Deity

Local Time: 03:35
Quote:
Originally posted by atawa
How do you kill gator?
Pressing 'No'
Old August 18, 2003, 20:30   #4
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Duh, how do you kill it when you pressed yes once by (drunken) mistake?
Old August 18, 2003, 20:37   #5
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

I use Ad-Aware to scan for adware/spyware etc. It seems to get most of the garbage.
Old August 18, 2003, 20:54   #6
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Re: Gator download pop-up
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
I don't remember which pop-up it was now, but one of the pop-ups just tried to download gator on my system.

I was able to prevent the download and could have easily killed it even if it had succeeded, but I can imagine there are others who would find this far more annoying if they don't know how to kill it or don't have firewalls to block it from calling back out once downloaded.

Just thought I should mention this here.

Thanks.
This was from a pop-up that you believe was delivered by Apolyton's ad system? I take it that you had your browser open to a page on Apolyton at the time the Gator ad in question appeared -- did you have any other browser windows open to other sites?

To investigate this further, I will need the address/URL of the ad that it points to and a screenshot/capture of the ad image (if possible). As well, you mentioned using Ad-Adaware which I agree fully that it is an excellent program (for those who are not aware of it, you can download it from http://www.lavasoftusa.com). Did the report from the program discuss a/the Gator ad at all and if so, what were the details it provided of it (if any)? I take it that the Gator ad has not appeared again since you last ran Ad-Aware?

------------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 18, 2003, 21:26   #7
Tuberski

I'm using the default-special Apolyton view, and I seem to be getting a lot more pop-ups. What gives?

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 18, 2003, 21:56   #8
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
I use Ad-Aware to scan for adware/spyware etc. It seems to get most of the garbage.
Have they started updating Ad-Aware again?... or is it still a dead old product. You should switch to spy bot... it's also free and constantly updated
Old August 18, 2003, 22:00   #9
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

They realease the new version 6.0 some months ago, and update the reference file periodically.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old August 18, 2003, 22:03   #10
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Good to know... I switched to spybot when ad-Aware stopped updating. And I see no reason to go back... spybot has never given me a problem, and I like all the features.
Old August 18, 2003, 22:07   #11
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

Have they started updating Ad-Aware again?... or is it still a dead old product. You should switch to spy bot... it's also free and constantly updated
You are way, way behind the times. Like someone releasing another thread showing a guy on top of the WTC with a plane coming in...
Old August 18, 2003, 22:08   #12
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Best thing is to use both. The new version of adaware catches some spyware that spybot misses (and visa versa).
Old August 18, 2003, 22:10   #13
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Oh...and Dan the Gator IS IS IS IS coming from Poly. Don't doubt the posters. Don't ask for a tracrt!
Old August 18, 2003, 22:11   #14
Tuberski

Yes it is, I had only one window open, Poly, and I got a pop-up for gator.

Why am I suddenly getting pop-ups???????????

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 18, 2003, 22:23   #15
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:35
I concur - I also got a gator pop-up request for install just yesterday and I only was only browsing Apolyton....but alas, I didn't write down what the actual URL was or any other info concering it. I just closed my browser and ran SpyBot - it found the nasty files But it did occur when I was browsing this site...though I haven't had any problems today.
Old August 18, 2003, 22:27   #16
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

And yes, pop-ups are occuring more frequently now - it used to be only when I first logged on - now it's throughout the time that I send on Apolyton. Don't get me wrong, if these added pop-ups help Apolyton out, then I'm Ok with it...as long as no spyware is installed on my system (ie, Gator).
Old August 18, 2003, 22:57   #17
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by TCO
Oh...and Dan the Gator IS IS IS IS coming from Poly. Don't doubt the posters. Don't ask for a tracrt!
The information I requested and answers to the questions I asked will help in my tracking down the exact source of the problem. Apolyton has multiple companies advertising their products via multiple agencies on-site.

---------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 19, 2003, 00:53   #18
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i complained about getting gator from poly months ago, but markos denied it. whatever.
Old August 19, 2003, 12:38   #19
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:35
Arnelos, just so you know- some popupu downloads like (ADCORP's POPUPU KILLER) seem cached on some people's systems... I can't get rid of the popup killer- the popup will even appear on legit sites like microsoft.com- it seems to appear at random times.

maybe the gator ad is cached somewhere on your system.

(those type of ads should be illegal :doitnow
Old August 19, 2003, 13:30   #20
badams52
King

Local Time: 23:35
I know xupiter worked that way. Coudn't figure out why I kept getting these pop-up ads from xupiter till I found out it's on my system and not from a site. Can't say anything about gator though.
Old August 19, 2003, 16:32   #21
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

On DanQ's request:

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Maniac/Gator.jpg
Old August 19, 2003, 20:36   #22
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Thanks for catching the screen shot Maniac!
Old August 19, 2003, 21:00   #23
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Gator
And it just happend to me too (again)

Here's the screen shot:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	gator.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	51703  

Last edited by Wittlich; August 19, 2003 at 22:25.
Old August 19, 2003, 22:14   #24
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
On DanQ's request:

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Maniac/Gator.jpg
Hmmm -- it does not appear as an ad but rather a security warning.

Unfortunately, the information it provides is not sufficient for me to determine exactly what ad being run on Apolyton is spawning this installation attempt and in turn, for some anyway, this security warning. It is likely bundled with an ad (i.e. it loads alongside with an ad that then generates it), making it even more difficult to track down.

From Wittlich's posted image, I can see the that the top 468x60 banner loaded -- next time somebody sees this security warning while browsing a page on Apolyton, please take several screenshots if need be that include not only the security warning but copies of the 468x60 ad images at the top and bottom of the page. Please make note of what address (URL) these ads point to and include them with your report.

-----------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old August 19, 2003, 22:21   #25
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

I thought as much. Well, I, for one, will keep an eye out for it when it happends again (and it will) and try to figure out which ad is active prior to Gator wanting to download.
Old August 19, 2003, 22:24   #26
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

It just did it again!!!!

The ad just prior was titled "Ad Server...." I didn't catch the rest of it before it disappeared and Gator wanting to download occured in its place.

Now I have to run SpyBot yet again.
Old August 19, 2003, 23:05   #27
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 07:35
I get it sometimes, but I just click no....
Old August 19, 2003, 23:13   #28
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
I get it sometimes, but I just click no....
True, but it still places entries within your system's registry. This is why I immediately run SpyBot after it occurs each time.
Old August 20, 2003, 01:31   #29
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:35
I just had such a pop up for Gator. Not bothered particular I'm sure these shared public library computers are rife with nasty stuff. I think they have every problem that the Poly front page can identify!!

This particluar advert doesn't actually advertise anything as far as I can tell.
Old August 20, 2003, 15:07   #30
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

I don't get you guys. All of you write I got it, I got it, but none of you seem willing to provide any of the information that Dan requests.

If you don't want to help remedy the situation, then don't complain that the situation exists

Asmodean

Last edited by Asmodean; August 20, 2003 at 16:00.