Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 08:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Extracted this URL from Snotty's script:

So is ad-flow the culprit?
It looks like there might even be multiple culprits.
Old October 6, 2003, 13:30   #302
Snotty
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

I hate to keep waffling on like this, but I just caught the page that causes the gator one to pop up. it is http://z1.adserver.com/w/cp.x;rid=25;tid=2;ev=1;dt=3;ac=7;c=817;

I was switching between pages on the board when I saw this pop-up, caught the z1 on the top line. It then closed itself and up come the please wait page, and then gator. No other program was open, and I cleaned my system with ad-aware this morning.

The source contains a link to the webpdp.gator site that causes gator to come up. I will post the source at the end. It opens itself, and then causes it to close after calling the gator ad to it. Sometimes when I click on the link it simply trys to close itself, once it opened a registry mechanic ad (an ad I have never seen before).

I just recleaned my system with ad-aware, ran the source as html and up came gator. Before I ran ad-aware the source would not cause gator to pop-up. I guess it reads the cookies it creates so it doesnt pop up so often or something.
Attached Files:
File Type: txt gatorsource3.txt (440 Bytes, 3 views)
Old October 6, 2003, 13:51   #303
DrSpike
Deity

There is a lot of new information..........hopefully Dan will post a response soon.
Old October 6, 2003, 16:05   #304
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 09:36
So I gues the real question is: Has Apolyton signed up with Adflow??

Asmodean
Old October 8, 2003, 03:34   #305
germanos
King

Gator pop-up
Damn, just when Poly returned to normal.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	gator.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	54707  
Old October 8, 2003, 03:50   #306
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Just got an "offer" to install some silly weather forecast crap (and I suspect despite rejecting the "offer", something DID get installed anyway, as I am getting pop-up ads now).

Banners displayed on the page were ID 212 at the top of the page and (!) http://webpdp.gator.com/4/message/86...QUFGYlJuSXM%3D at the bottom of the page (an ad offering a "System Tray Update" keeping my machine time accurate... ).

Any other info needed? I will keep the page open for a bit, so just ask if I forgot anything relevant...

EDIT: the balloon hint over the gator-pointing banner shows "[TGC Offer]"
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	gator.gif
Views:	104
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	54710  
Old October 8, 2003, 10:29   #307
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

They just keep on coming. A pop up just tried to put gator on my comp again. As I have ActiveX disabled all I got was a block on the toolbar saying Gator and an empty window headed "Congratulations".

"Congratulations!!!" - I don't think so!
Old October 8, 2003, 11:11   #308
phoenixcager
Call to Power PBEMC4WDG Delian League
Emperor

Local Time: 15:36
I just saw another gator pop-up. The pop-up ad that appeared at the same time also said "Congratulations!"
Old October 8, 2003, 11:49   #309
rev
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:36
I just had "CommonName" installed on my computer following a popup I believe to have been from 'poly. If it was from 'poly, this is the URL that gave it to me:

http://fad-1104.nyc1.targetnet.com/a...&uid=995085783

No security warning (that I saw, anyway), or anything else. Just a "congratulations, commonname has been installed on this computer!" or some nonsense like that.

Thank God for Ad-aware.
Old October 8, 2003, 18:27   #310
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

I can only connect to the first page of the threads so I don't know if someone has already reported something but for the first time I have been proposed to download a "gator" today when I opened the Apolyton CS' main page.
Old October 12, 2003, 20:46   #311
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:36
Dan, I've noticed that you've started posting again in this forum...so on that note:

Dan, do you have any undates concerning Gator given the information that we've given you (contained in this thread since the last time you posted)?
Old October 12, 2003, 23:50   #312
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

is DanQ just ignoring this thead??

Any how, for what it's worth, Gator has changed it's attack tactic.

I just got the download option for Gator. What changed was that I was suddenly bombarded by pop-ups (4 of them), and when I clicked them all closed...lo-and-behold, their was the download option for Gator.

So Dan, I've asked this before but got no answer...so let me be blunt:

Are you in league with the Gator advertiser (ie, they are making it worth while to you so that you ignore our questions)?

Yes, this question is rather straight forward...but because of the lack of information on your part in the past few weeks when we showed you the "smoking gun" of the Advertiser (z1) and now with Gator going unchecked on this site ... I have to start wondering if we (Aploytron members) are being played with.
Old October 13, 2003, 02:00   #313
Hurricane
Warlord

Got both the Gator and Weatherforecast popups today.
Old October 13, 2003, 05:18   #314
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Please, Wittlich.

Accept that the man has other things going on in his life, than Apolyton.

I for one distance myself completely from the accusation made by Wittlich. I hope others will do the same.

Asmodean
Old October 13, 2003, 05:36   #315
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Well, Wittlichs accusation sounds nasty, but I'm sure he doesn't mean it as harsh as it sounds. But as a matter of fact these Gator downloads we get are unacceptable, not only because they are dangerous and highly annoying, but also because they drive our posters into using popup blockers, which would put in question the current system of payment through advertisements. I usually don't recommend the usage of these blockers, because I know the popups are there for a reason, which I can, of course, accept. But if the current state of nasty, annoying and sometimes offending popups persist, I will install a blocker too.
Old October 13, 2003, 05:45   #316
DrSpike
Deity

Agreed with all that. In Wittlich's defence I would add that I empathise with any surprise that much information has been provided over a relatively long period of time, with seemingly no results.
Old October 13, 2003, 08:24   #317
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Wittlich, if you refer to Snotty's post as the "smoking gun", the url noted is not one ouf our ad providers'. e.g. it may come from one of them, but as we dont have a list of all their clients, we cant track it down. the only current sollution would be to turn off all ads and go find some other providers in hope that they dont have gator as on of their client....
Old October 13, 2003, 12:00   #318
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Thanks for the reply Mark. And I do apologize for the "tone" of my last post, it's just getting, well, frustrating and it seems that Gator is increasing in appearance here on Apolyton.