Old September 15, 2003, 14:59   #181
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 09:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
There was a lot of talk about this a year or more ago. I think MarkG stated that those who used pop-up blockers were keeping Apolyton from generating revenue.

The situation may have changed since then, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't.

Asmodean
Old September 15, 2003, 15:30   #182
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 02:35
Quote:
Then when you see the dialogue box asking you to allow permission to run ActiveX script, say no. About 99% of the time, you don't miss anything.
Already done.

Thanks anyways.
Old September 17, 2003, 12:38   #183
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:35
Dan, just a heads-up. I just got tagged again by Gator while visiting Apolyton. Did you turn on a certain advertiser today?
Old September 17, 2003, 12:42   #184
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 08:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
Dan, just a heads-up. I just got tagged again by Gator while visiting Apolyton. Did you turn on a certain advertiser today?
That's a personal question.
Old September 17, 2003, 15:46   #185
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 03:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
Hi Wittlich.

No, no advertisements that we turned off last Thursday have yet been re-activated. Did you have any other browser windows open at the time the Gator pop-up appeared, besides one or more displaying/interacting with pages on Apolyton? Either way, it is possible that "Gator"'s appearance is the result of its introduction at another time and/or by other means. I'm not dismissing your claim, but rather putting forth other possibilities.

Do you have/have you run spyware/malware detection and removal software recently (e.g. "Ad-adware" from http://www.lavasoftusa.com or "SpyBot Search & Destroy" from http://security.kolla.de)? I would run one of these programs for the first time or again, depending upon your history (or not) with either of these programs, and see what impact if any and for how long it has. I personally use "Ad-aware" Standard Edition.

-----------
Dan; Apolyton CS
Old September 17, 2003, 16:17   #186
Asmodean
Emperor

Holy crap, sorry Dan. I forgot to tell you too. I had Gator yesterday. I was kinda busy at the time, so I just clicked no, and continued with 'poly. I had absolutely no other browser windows open at the time, so it had to have come from a poly ad.

Asmodean
Old September 17, 2003, 18:00   #187
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Thanks for the quick reply Dan.

Yes, I use SpyBot religiously and I also clear my cookies everyday (except for the main Apolyton cookie ).

When Gator occured, I only had the one Apolyton browser window open...however, you've made a valid point - I (might) have visited another site prior to visiting Apolyton and hense didn't clear my cookies prior to my Apolyton visit ... so there is a possibility that it wasn't triggered by your site. I will keep better track my actions in the future and let you know if it happends again.

EDIT: Cute DrSpike, cute.
Old September 17, 2003, 20:34   #188
geeslaka
Prince

Assuming that Gator uses ActiveX, is there any way that the makers of the ad could set a delay before the ad actually appears? That would be an irritating way of disguising where the ad actually comes from.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old September 17, 2003, 20:53   #189
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

I also got Gator on a public computer today. It left a bar open on the taskbar for about a minute or so after saying no to the Gator download.
Old September 17, 2003, 21:10   #190
Tuberski

It does that to me everytime it pops up.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old September 18, 2003, 00:33   #191
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 07:35
You guys want free entertainment, free forums, free browsing and yet you want it all FREE. Somehow your going to have to either start paying for an apolyton subscription, or just put up with spyware. One or the other. So stop complaining like babies, get Spybot and a PU blocker and off you go.
Old September 18, 2003, 02:01   #192
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

faded:

I have no problems with a subscription, if it means not having to deal with Gator popups. I believe that I have said so many times.
Old September 18, 2003, 03:49   #193
Asmodean
Emperor

faded: I'm not sure that I care for the tone in your post. Seriously. If it was an attempt at irony or sarcasm, it was at best an extremely poor attempt.

And FYI, I do use spybot and ZoneAlrm Pro. But I still want Gator gone. Why? I don't like the company, their policies or their software. Things like these including SPAM should be fought whereever and whenever they are discovered here at 'poly.

Asmodean
Old September 18, 2003, 05:35   #194
DrSpike
Deity

Don't feed the troll chaps.
Old September 18, 2003, 09:11   #195
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Besides the constant pop-ups (every time I click a link) just got a new request to install something called "web gift search" or some such bullshit.

I'll correct the name later when it comes up again (and I'm sure it will).
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old September 21, 2003, 09:00   #196
Asmodean
Emperor

We still have it. Gator, that is. This time, I got no ad, though. Only the security warning.

I am 100% sure that it came from Apolyton. I have had no other websites open today. And I cleared my cookies just this morning.

See attached image:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	gator.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	53685  
Old September 21, 2003, 11:39   #197
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:35
Quote:
Originally posted by geeslaka
Assuming that Gator uses ActiveX, is there any way that the makers of the ad could set a delay before the ad actually appears? That would be an irritating way of disguising where the ad actually comes from.
I don't think so. The script has to start running to set the delay. So as long as you keep the scripts out, you have no problems.
Old September 21, 2003, 17:53   #198
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

And the hunt for the offending advertiser continues ...
Old September 21, 2003, 23:31   #199
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:35
You can try changing between regular and special styles. If you don't get it using a regular style, the offender is from a popup ad.
Old September 22, 2003, 00:08   #200
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:35
I just got gator going from a demo game private forum to the main forum index.

dictionary.com is open in the back ground, but hasn't been touched for several hours.
Old September 22, 2003, 04:59   #201
DrSpike
Deity

The demogamers use too many long words?
Old September 22, 2003, 12:06   #202
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Got the Gator "open on task bar" edition. My Windows NT Task Manager listed it ("Running" -- ominously)
as follows:

http://webpdp.gator.com/v3/webpdp_v3...c=HIC_RydiumNT - Microsoft Internet Explorer

Since I'm in a corporate environment (thus Win NT, MSIE, and no popup blockers) for virtually all my Poly time, I'm stuck with these annoyances. I appreciate any efforts Dan can muster to minimize or endit re Gator, but I consider it to be the price of T1 speed and no out-of-pocket Web access cost.

Which is why I haven't complained before.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old September 24, 2003, 19:59   #203
Ljube
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Another screenshot with our dear companion - Gator.

By the way people, stay clear of Gator and under no circumstances click Yes. You won't be able to get rid of Gator afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	gator 3.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	53905  
Old September 25, 2003, 14:52   #204
Asmodean
Emperor

I've gotten Gator twice today.

Dan please indicate if there is any information that I could provide that you can use in your quest to rid Apolyton of the evil Gator ad.

Asmodean
Old September 26, 2003, 10:17   #205
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 01:35
I haven't seen a Gator message at work for quite some time now. Odd...

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old September 26, 2003, 11:28   #206
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Well Gator is still alive and well ... I just go bit by it again. Time to clean up my system again.
Old September 26, 2003, 11:32   #207
DrSpike
Deity

Do you have trouble saying no?
Old September 26, 2003, 11:55   #208
Asmodean
Emperor

He may have

But Gator writes to the registry, whether you say yes or no. It doesn't install itself, but it writes to your registry.

I got it twice yesterday, and once so far today

Asmodean

Last edited by Asmodean; September 26, 2003 at 14:43.
Old September 26, 2003, 12:56   #209
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Got one this morning...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old September 26, 2003, 13:24   #210
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Just got one.