Old January 10, 2000, 14:56   #1
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 06:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Darius the Great
This is not really on-topic, but since it has something to do with my scenario, I'll post it here.

I have typed a small PC-Dictionary about Darius the Great and his time. It is not completely finished yet, but worth to take a look at (IMHO). It explains many terms that also appear in the scenario. Two special article links have been already made where there will be many more. The whole thing is a part of a huge Persian Empire Encyclopedia I hope to release as an internet homepage someday.

It is a Word '97 document. Current size of the unzipped file is 1.025 KB. Along with that come two extra files with 42 and 608 KB. There are some pics in the documents which make them so big.

The whole document uses hyperlinks for cross-refferences. For example if an article has the word 'Xerxes' in it, it is most propably linked up to the article concerning Xerxes and you can klick on it and jump to Xerxes. I think it's a nice idea and anyone interested should send me an eMail. Critics? Let's hear them! (Maybe someone can put it up for download so that I don't have to send this humungous file over and over?)

------------------
Follow the masses!
30,000 lemmings can't be wrong.

We who grew up tall and proud
In the shadow of the mushroom cloud
Convinced our voices can't be heard
We just want to scream it louder and louder:
"What the hell are we fighting for?"
"Just surrender and it won't hurt at all"
-Brian May (Queen)
Old January 10, 2000, 18:17   #2
Cam
King

Local Time: 15:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Stefan,

Sounds like a great idea, and could help fine-tune a lot of scenarios under development.

I'm no computer expert by any stretch, but wouldn't the file size be greatly reduced if you converted it into HTML now rather than later? Also, an Adobe PDF file might be another workable option.
Old January 10, 2000, 22:18   #3
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 22:52
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Stefan,

I suggest you check out the User Manual that Chris Wilkinson developed for The Clash of Civilizations Demo4. It's html and the on-line version, graphics and all, is only 132K. It's pretty impressive, and even if you can't copy it exactly, it may provide some ideas and inspiration!
http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/

NOTE: After you reach the Clash Web Site, click on the "Demo v4-Win" link in the download section. When that page pops up, find the "Documentation Team" section at the top, and click the "NEW Instruction Manual" link.