Old August 19, 2003, 13:07   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 01:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Tabejin Times: Salsa Experiment I 8/16
My search for a good Salsa began more than a year ago when in passing I was given a recipe and I made it to the letter only to discover that I hated it. The onions garlic and peppers totally overpowered all taste of tomatoes.

It was time for me to try to fix it to my tastes. This is not a recipe for the weak, though, and will take well into 4-6 hours to prepare.

Not following my own advice and acting on a tip that there were some great tomatoes at a local farm, I went out and acquired a 1/2 bushell (4 qts) of Early Girl Tomatoes. They were indeed fine tomatoes, but they also were the cause of 90% of the failure. We will get to that later, though.

With the tomatoes in hand it was time to secure the heart of the salsa. To my dismay, local Jalepenos were not all quite ready and I was forced to acquire some brought up from the south. These are typically shipped green and ripen along the way which detracts somewhat from the taste, so I grabbed up 10 and continued my search.

The previous recipe had called for 4 large yellow onions and a ton of bell peppers. Both were overpowering in the end. So, I decided on the fly to use 3 small WHITE onions a single Green Bell pepper and a single Red Bell Pepper. I left the amount of Garlic at a full bud, though.

Wrapping up the vegetable hunting I found some fine Anaheim Chiles and called it a day. All together the shopping trip was under $20. Not bad for the amount I was about to make.

Peeling and coring the tomatoes is not an enviable task. By far the most tedious and the most messy process of this whole affair. The best method I have found of peeling is to blanch the tomatoes. IE, boil them for approx a minute or so, then the skin comes right off, but this will leave you handling the meat of the tomatoe and getting it all over if you are not carefull.

With the tomatoes peeled and cored its time for the chopping. A task I thuroughly enjoy. Dicing tomatoes, bells, onions, jalepenos and anaheims all into a large stock pot.

Now it was time to decide what I wanted from my salsa. The previous recipe had simply called for adding some celery salt and stewing. I was not happy with this either, though, and wanted at least some herbal flavoring for the tomatoes. Gazing at the spice rack I debated it over in my head and finally decided in adding 2 tablespoons each of Rosemary and Marjoram.

The concoction did not quite smell right yet, however, and I grabbed up 2 more tablespoons of Lemon Juice, 1 of black pepper, 1 of celery salt, 2 of chile powder and 2 of ceyenne pepper.

It finally smelled how I wanted and we set about the process of stewing. And stewing. 3 hours later I was satisfied with the consistency of the sauce.

Results: Failure

The Early Girl Tomatoes, while very flavorfull on their own, are just not very suited for salsa. They're not really meant for stewing all together, frankly. I had misgivings about it before I even began, but was following advice handed down to me. I should trust my instincts more.

As a result, the salsa turned out a bit watery in taste instead of a fine tomatoe flavor. I think this could easily be remedied through the use of Roma Tomatoes instead. Other than that it is a bit on the mild side, but that is also easily remedied for the next time, and partly due to the fact that they were imported Jalepenos, not ripe local.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2003, 23:43   #2
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 03:36
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Panzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2003, 21:25   #3
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 03:36
I await the new effort using Roma tomatoes, which I have found to be superior for many recipes.

Old September 2, 2003, 16:14   #4
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Done this weekend, will write it up when I have time

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 2, 2003, 22:21   #5
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

*cough*

Unorthodox...is anyone at Tabemono interested in letting in this poor fellow who has been, up until now, bored out of my mind by this Demo Game? Is there any reprieve, or must the long lonely walks through these gloomy halls continue?
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2003, 08:52   #6
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Ill go kick the powers that be in the ass.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old September 3, 2003, 21:56   #7
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

A lovely sentiment. Just for that, have some of these really nice Italian cheese I just bought.
History Guy is offline   Reply With Quote