Old August 20, 2003, 05:05   #1
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 08:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
How do I change the rules?
Up to now I've always played vanilla Civ (in the rare occasions I play at all) but I fancy a change now. Two games in a row where there was no oil on the entire continent have really peed me off.

How do I go about editing game rules like preserve random seed and resource frequency? I couldn't see either of these in the 1.29f editor options (not PTW). I'm sure they're supposed to be in ther somewhere

When I do make changes, will this affect a part played game or only games played from scratch?
Old August 20, 2003, 13:20   #2
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 01:37
once you edit the rules, you have to save it under a name obviously. then you must load it as a scenario, so it will only effect that one game.
Old August 21, 2003, 09:16   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Ok but where are they? I can't find preserve random seed or a scarcity setting for resources anywhere, even though the former is definitely in the patch notes as implemented.
Old August 21, 2003, 10:11   #4
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:37
Your changes will not affect existing games. Firaxis has removed this possibility for more than a year now

I don't remember having ever seen a scarcity setting for resources. AFAIK, 2 resources per Civ will be spawned in a random map game. However, I never put much interest in this part of the editor, so maybe someone will correct me.

To preserve random seed (or not), you don't need the editor. In the game, you have to check/uncheck the box when beginning a game. This box appears in the "Pick Civilization" screen, next to the victories you want, culturally-linked starting positions, etc.

You may save your own rules in two ways:
- either you change the default rules and always play with your own. In this case, you should change the "civ3mod.bic" file. You should save the original file in a safe place before however, to restore it if something goes wrong with your own rules.
- either you create a set of modified rules that you'll use from time to time. You should then save your modded rules under any name (.bic). You'll then load this file with the "load scenario" button at the beginning of a game.
Old August 21, 2003, 11:03   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:37
In CivIII editor you select custom map/rules. Look for Naural Resources and find "appearance ratio" and "Disappear Probability".
Old August 22, 2003, 08:32   #6
Grumbold
Emperor

Thanks guys.