Old August 20, 2003, 15:26   #31
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 07:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Ummm, Asher, those are easily countered viruses
Blaster is very easy to counter too, but that doesn't stop people bashing Microsoft for it.
Old August 20, 2003, 15:27   #32
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Local Time: 01:38
I like the fact that if a company has its own IT Department, it can go without calling tech support vs. having to pay for tech support from Microsoft (or getting support from the OEM with the uncertainy of wether or not they're really going to be able to help you).

Microsoft may say that Windows is a better value, but only in some cases. It really depends on your business. In many cases it makes good business sense to use Unix/Linux instead of Windows in certain types of business. And thank goodness that there are many businesses out there that are starting to realize this. Heck, even the U.S. Government has deployed Unix/Linux in many of its agencies, especially in the military. The military? That says a lot. It says that Unix/Linux is very secure and reliable, otherwise it wouldn't be used by the military.
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old August 20, 2003, 15:28   #33
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Um. elijah, what exactly is your point?

99.9% of all viruses are easily countered...
Old August 20, 2003, 15:31   #34
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
Quote:
Ummm, Asher, those are easily countered viruses
Blaster is very easy to counter too, but that doesn't stop people bashing Microsoft for it.
Um, no. The sheer number of viruses that infect Windows computers is what makes people mad.
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old August 20, 2003, 15:33   #35
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy
I like the fact that if a company has its own IT Department, it can go without calling tech support vs. having to pay for tech support from Microsoft (or getting support from the OEM with the uncertainy of wether or not they're really going to be able to help you).
You make a lot of assumptions for what you know nothing about.
Corporations negotiate their terms and prices with MS. If they don't want support, they don't ask for it and pay less in return. But the funny thing is, support is actually very important, even for huge corporations. So much so, in fact, Linux isn't free for corporations because they pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for support usually (see Red Hat Enterprise).

Quote:
Heck, even the U.S. Government has deployed Unix/Linux in many of its agencies, especially in the military. The military? That says a lot. It says that Unix/Linux is very secure and reliable, otherwise it wouldn't be used by the military.
I love this, because not a month ago the largest order in MS history just came from the US Army.

And rest assured Windows is used more than Linux by the US military. So using your fun logic, Windows is obviously much more secure and reliable.

Although you never know. The US government just last month finally gave Linux a C2 security certification. The thing is, it's only for SuSE and only on very specific hardware, and even then, it's actually one classification of security LOWER than Windows 2000, XP Pro, and 2003 received.

Last edited by Asher; August 20, 2003 at 15:40.
Old August 20, 2003, 15:36   #36
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Um, no. The sheer number of viruses that infect Windows computers is what makes people mad.
Well, when you run on 90% of the computers, usually with non-tech-savvy users, you're going to have a lot more viruses than an OS that runs on 1% of the computers, usually by people in tinfoil hats and run everything under a restricted account. Totally different userbases, you'd have the same problems with viruses under Linux and MacOS if they were good enough to actually be popular.

You, my friend, should be more concerned about how the sheer number of Linux corporate break-ins is considerably higher than Windows corporate break-ins, even though Linux has but a fraction of the marketshare...
Old August 20, 2003, 15:41   #37
Ned
King

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
They showed up at his door with marshalls, then filed suit and put him on TV. They never even asked politely for an audit.

The BSA and Microsoft are no better and perhaps a lot worse than the Gestapo. It is amazing what Microsoft can get through Congress. Microsoft is not only a anti-trust violator, they seem to be NAZI's. Microsoft is becoming a political issue.
Old August 20, 2003, 15:44   #38
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Microsoft did give the warning of an audit, if they didn't the Marshalls wouldn't legally be allowed to be there.

It's in the license that MS has to give 15 days notice before an audit (the new license last month increased this to 30).

It's not mentioned in the article because, well, it's an opinion piece that obviously has a slant against MS. Leaving out little things like that leaves it to creative imaginations like Neds to fill in the blanks themselves with bull.
Old August 20, 2003, 15:46   #39
Dom Pedro II
King

If you love Microsoft so much, why don't you marry it?!

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old August 20, 2003, 15:49   #40
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

And why don't you go out and get a job?
Old August 20, 2003, 15:51   #41
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 08:38
Don't pick on Asher too much... he actually gave me the giggles of the day with his statement, that not using Windows is the same as not wearing underwear. This Windows == underwear thing was hilarious.
Old August 20, 2003, 15:52   #42
Dom Pedro II
King

Asher, I don't have a problem with Windows... I'm just joking with ya! Jeez

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old August 20, 2003, 15:54   #43
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Don't pick on Asher too much... he actually gave me the giggles of the day with his statement, that not using Windows is the same as not wearing underwear. This Windows == underwear thing was hilarious.
It is a known fact that Linux users don't wear underwear, as well as never shower.
Old August 20, 2003, 15:57   #44
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Microsoft is not only a anti-trust violator, they seem to be NAZI's.
That's a new one.
Old August 20, 2003, 16:24   #45
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
It is a known fact that Linux users don't wear underwear, as well as never shower.
I remember an internet joke from the 90s, it was called OS-test and was made up like a quiz "Which OS suits you the best". Options were DOS, Windows 3.1, OS/2 and Unix. There were 17 questions, which could be answered with a) through d). I remember only a few of them. The question, what application do you use the most was complex spreadsheet for OS/2, Solitaire for Windows and grep for Unix. And how do you dress was suit and tie for OS/2, sweater and pants for Windows, and "Nerdy T-shirt, jeans and no underpants" for Unix.

About the showering habit of Linux users I read only a troll in a German forum. Its title was "Linux-User stinken" (doesn't need to be translated) and was written by an obviously imbecile. But it's a funny read, I saved it as text file at work.
Old August 21, 2003, 07:27   #46
uh Clem
King

How many of the computer experts here have run a business...yeah, that's what I thought.

Mr Ball, as a businessman, would seem to be the best judge of his company's interests. He doesn't want Windows; for that matter, he doesn't want Linux, either. He wants to make guitar strings.

MS made themselves too much of a hassle for him, so he tried an alternative, with which he is quite satisfied.

Bill Gates is free to run his company as he sees fit; the rest of us are equally free to seek alternatives. This annoys some people.
Old August 21, 2003, 08:36   #47
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Mr Ball, as a businessman, would seem to be the best judge of his company's interests
Replacing all their computers with beads-on-poles is in the best interests of his company?
Old August 21, 2003, 08:39   #48
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:38
Quote:

Uh, no. It is the sheer number of asswipes and buttmunchers who write viruses that make people mad.
Old August 21, 2003, 08:40   #49
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

They're French? Huh... I didn't know that.
Old August 21, 2003, 09:46   #50
Kuciwalker
Deity

Yeah. "Linux" is french for "nerd OS"
Old August 22, 2003, 05:13   #51
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:38
Quote:
How that happens is you copy CDs and install Windows with the same key on more than one. That's pretty intentional IMO...
Got news for you. People don't have time to install Windows + applications on computers individually. Doing one easily takes up several hours. That's generally not done in any company with more than a handful of computers.

Instead, a "master" wintel box with all the patches, service packs and applications is first configured, and the HDD will be imaged to other machines.

That's why they all got the same CD key, but why would it matter as long as you have sufficient licenses?
Old August 22, 2003, 05:15   #52
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Microsoft did give the warning of an audit, if they didn't the Marshalls wouldn't legally be allowed to be there.
AFAIK, no warning is necessary. They can just pop up at your doorstep one cheery morning.
Old August 22, 2003, 05:16   #53
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
Uh, no. It is the sheer number of asswipes and buttmunchers who write viruses that make people mad.
Would you buy a house with no windows (they just got these openings in the walls) and the doors can't be locked?
Old August 22, 2003, 06:14   #54
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 09:38
Um, why are you Microsoft-lovers always so bully. Clearly this guys knows his business better than you. you laugh at him because his not in the IT business. Don't you morons understand that 90% of businesses using MS products are not in IT? They are still customers who should be listened and respected. If I ever get into pewerful position in any company, I will make sure bully *******s like you won't have future in it.

- Paul Valery
Old August 22, 2003, 06:28   #55
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Don't you morons understand that 90% of businesses using MS products are not in IT?
Do you have a source for that or did you just make it up?

Besides, I don't think it really makes any sense. It seems likely that more than 90% of business are not in IT, whether they use MS products or not.
Old August 22, 2003, 07:04   #56
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Quote:
Don't you morons understand that 90% of businesses using MS products are not in IT?
Do you have a source for that or did you just make it up?

Besides, I don't think it really makes any sense. It seems likely that more than 90% of business are not in IT, whether they use MS products or not.
I reckon what he said is pretty much the same as what you said.
Old August 22, 2003, 07:05   #57
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by laurentius
Um, why are you Microsoft-lovers always so bully.
What else do you expect? Bullying is the way of MS, so it is the way of MS fanboys.
Old August 22, 2003, 07:13   #58
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

M$ forced to use linux machinery
This is a funny story that has something to do with this.
Old August 22, 2003, 07:33   #59
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
I reckon what he said is pretty much the same as what you said.
I reckon it isn't. So there.

The difference being that he seems to think that statistic is relevant, whereas I say it isn't.
Old August 22, 2003, 08:07   #60
Harovan
staff

Quote:
The difference being that he seems to think that statistic is relevant, whereas I say it isn't.
He didn't deem statistics relevant either. The number 90% can be replaced with 99% or 75% and it doesn't change anything in the statement, that the majority of computer users are not in the IT branch, i.e. they are "users", not "makers". I would expect, that somebody who calls himself a poet, should understand an analogy like this. Even more, the whole IT business has the main purpose to satisfy the needs in computers and software of exactly this productive business. If people like Asher ("Sweet, a guitar-stringe maker talking about computers.") or skywalker ("Wow, I'll listen to him about what software I use. Whew! A GUITAR-STRING MAKER! What a computer whiz!") talk disdainful about people in other branches, it's not only highly arrogant, it's like insulting their future customers. To despise his own customers is certainly not good for one's business.