Old August 20, 2003, 13:53   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Time Travel
Consider this. It is pretty much safe to say that no one has come back in time to visit us. This means that in the future of intelligent life, not a single being will ever travel backward in time to our time. If someone will ever travel to us in time and try to let us know about it, it would happen. The fact that this never will happen could be because a)no one develops the technology. I highly doubt this because of the growth of human knowledge (let's just keep this part of the discussion focused only on humans for now) is exponential. Look at the difference in technology from 1200-1300. Or even 1,000 B.C. to 1 A.D. And look at the difference between 1950-present. The more we learn, the faster we learn new information. It is probable that in the next 100 years, the new technology discovered will make the leaps and bounds of technology during our time look like nothing. We will probably be much more advanced. So at the rate we're going, if we survive just another few thousand years, think of how advanced we will be. And if we survive many more years then that, then wouldn't it be probable that we will discover the technology to travel forward and backward in time? We've already discovered that the closer towards the speed of light you travel, the more time slows down. Yes, there is always the chance that despite the technology time travel will always be impossible, but I doubt it. Is anything truly impossible?

The fact that no one will ever come backward in time to us could also mean b)that we decide not to find out how to travel backward in time because we think it would be a bad idea. I highly doubt this would be the reason, because humans are hungry for new information, and time travel has fascinated us for a long time. I am sure that we would try to find out how to do it.

It could also mean that c)we find out how to travel backward in time but we decide not to do it because it could change the future. I doubt this also. Once a new technology is discovered, it always becomes more available to the people as time passes. Take the airplane. In 1910, very few people owned one. During the present, many people do. The same goes for time travel. Eventually, many people will have the ability to travel through time. Even if we try to stop the average person from doing it, it is probable that sometime in the future some people would get their hands on whatever is necessary to travel to time. If this happens, then it is very probable that some idiot would decide to go back in time for whatever reason, just as there will always be some idiot that doesn't take all of his medicine for TB and it becomes drug-resistant.

The finaly reason that no one will ever visit us could be d)we are wiped out before we discover how to travel through time. Because there are billions of stars in just our galaxy and billions of galaxies in the universe, chances are that there is a lot of life out there, and some of it wouldn't be good. So, there is a gooed chance that some day, aliens will come and try to destroy us. Also, we are very stupid and there is a good chance we will destroy ourselves. And unfortunately, I have no reason to belive that reason d could not happen.

Just some food for thought.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old August 20, 2003, 13:56   #2
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 01:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
it would certainly be really cool if time travel were possible. I'd love to go back to Ancient Rome and see what it was like.

However, time travel is probably physically impossible.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old August 20, 2003, 13:59   #3
Soul Survivor
Settler

Local Time: 07:38
well its quite possible that time travel does exist, but there are simply very strict codes about not interfering. I'm sure by then we will have figured out how to make ourselves invisible etc. So in fact we may be being watched right now by people who wanted to see "what ancient times looked like."
Old August 20, 2003, 14:02   #4
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:38
It is also very possible that some time travelers are here incognito, and are messg with our timeline right now. After all, how could we notice thigs don't go in the "right" direction ?
Old August 20, 2003, 14:07   #5
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
It is also very possible that some time travelers are here incognito, and are messg with our timeline right now. After all, how could we notice thigs don't go in the "right" direction ?
That's the thing. We would have no way to know if time travellers were messing with the timeline. If someone did change the timeline, we only experience the "new" timeline. We would never know that there even was an "old" timeline.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old August 20, 2003, 14:10   #6
johncmcleod
Prince

You guys might be right, they might be invisible but I think that sometime in the future someone would go back in time to our time and make themselves known. But this won't happen because no one has done this in our time, so I think that means that probably the answer is reason a or reason d, and I think it is probably reason d.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old August 20, 2003, 14:13   #7
johncmcleod
Prince

Quote:
That's the thing. We would have no way to know if time travellers were messing with the timeline. If someone did change the timeline, we only experience the "new" timeline. We would never know that there even was an "old" timeline.
This gives me an awesome idea for a novel. Mankind is about to wipe itself out. So some smart people are sent back in time to steer the world leaders away from destroying ourselves. Of course they wouldn't tell the public or anything.

And obviously, Bush didn't get one of these advisors.
Old August 20, 2003, 14:18   #8
tinyp3nis
Prince

Local Time: 10:38
What makes you say that there have been none? There was a guy who abused the stock and got a lot of money out of it, in his defence he tried to convince that he was from the future.

Spoiler!

Time travel backwards is not possible.
Sorry.
Old August 20, 2003, 14:20   #9
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:38
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
This gives me an awesome idea for a novel. Mankind is about to wipe itself out. So some smart people are sent back in time to steer the world leaders away from destroying ourselves. Of course they wouldn't tell the public or anything.
I've read a comic like that. The only difference is that the envoys from the future were scientists who intended to kill a present scientist (absolutely innocent, but he'd make a major breakthrough that would make the future destruction of Earth possible). The heroin wasn't too thrilled at the idea of killing an innocent despite the consequences.
Old August 20, 2003, 14:20   #10
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Anyone who could hypothetically travel back in time must know that it would be a one way trip.

As soon as one enters a past timeframe, minute changes happen instantaneously, and the timeline deviates from the way it happened in ones history. That universe then continues on a separate path to the original, and one cannot return to the original.

Its rather like the "sum over histories" theory. If it was hypothetically possible, it would be idiocy at best. Still, I am working on a theory that it would impossible to travel back in time in a linear sense in the first place, but thus far it is analogous to going into a parrallel universe. As such, time travel is a contradiction in terms.
Old August 20, 2003, 14:21   #11
tinyp3nis
Prince

Quote:

And obviously, Bush didn't get one of these advisors.
Awesome idea? From top of my head T1, T2, T3.
Old August 20, 2003, 14:30   #12
johncmcleod
Prince

Quote:
Still, I am working on a theory that it would impossible to travel back in time in a linear sense in the first place
Are you a scientist or something or are you working with that at your leisure?
Old August 21, 2003, 15:16   #13
johncmcleod
Prince

Quote:
Time travel backwards is not possible.
We don't know much about space and time so I don't think it is safe to rule it out.

I thought this was an interesting thread and would get more replies. I'll bump it.
Old August 21, 2003, 15:23   #14
Dom Pedro II
King

I could tell you guys the truth, but then I'd be killed upon my return.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old August 21, 2003, 15:46   #15
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 00:38
Too late Dom, I've already informed the Boss of your betrayal.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old August 21, 2003, 15:47   #16
Dom Pedro II
King

And I've already gone into the future and stopped you...

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old August 21, 2003, 20:26   #17
tinyp3nis
Prince

Quote:

We don't know much about space and time so I don't think it is safe to rule it out.

I thought this was an interesting thread and would get more replies. I'll bump it.
And you don't know enough about me and yourself to rule the out the possibility I am you. It's just that it's not very rational to believe I am you.
Old August 21, 2003, 21:12   #18
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

IIRC, it's far easier to move forward in time (at a faster pace then you are now of course ) than to move back.

That said, the only real reasons for them would be historian expeditions, scientific studies, and bringing back tech from the future right? I mean, I'd LOVE to eat with, say, King Henry VIII--seems quite a feller--but it would change history, and certainly that's not good.
Old August 21, 2003, 21:42   #19
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 02:38
actually, there was a news report of a man to have claimed to come back from the future. he made 80 something stock trades, and made millions and millions within a few weeks.

people suspected insider trading, but he did it with over so many companies, i doubt he knew someone in all of them.

last i heard he was detained in a federal prison and claiming to be from the future.
Old August 21, 2003, 21:48   #20
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
actually, there was a news report of a man to have claimed to come back from the future. he made 80 something stock trades, and made millions and millions within a few weeks.
You've accidentally come across a story from that pinnacle of accuracy in reporting, the Weekly World News.

Always check the source, man.
Old August 21, 2003, 22:21   #21
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

I'm from the future.
Old August 21, 2003, 22:27   #22
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 03:38
There's also the possibility that we didn't make it long enough to develop time travel, or that our descendants don't feel like toying with something as big as the space-time continuum. The latter would be a rare victory for common sense, but it could happen.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old August 22, 2003, 00:21   #23
Odin
DiplomacyNever Ending StoriesApolyton UniversityRise of Nations MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Maby the Gods of polythiestic religions were actually time travellers.

I would like to talk and have lunch with Darwin.

The attempt to produce Heaven on Earth often produces Hell. -Karl Popper
Old August 22, 2003, 02:24   #24
Father Beast
King

Actually, The current theories say that time travel is a possibility, but you could only travel back in time to a point when the time machine existed.

So much for conversing with Darwin.

See "massive rotating cylinders and the possibility of global causality violation"

see also the novel "Timemaster" by Robert Forward.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old August 22, 2003, 02:30   #25
Dom Pedro II
King

Well, I'm about fifty years older since I last posted here.. God, it seems so long ago...

I've been dodging the Time Police ever since... I spent a brief time in the Old South... I really gave Lee some bad advice, I think he might have lost the war in this timeline. Oh well, I'll fix it later. Damn! Here comes the fuzz! Tata!

Old August 22, 2003, 02:55   #26
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

The only way time travel should be possible is if, when you go back, you cannot physically interact with the past. Failing that (or on top of that), every time you go back, you spawn a separate timeline from the one you came from. These timelines all remain "bundled" together (think individual lanes in a super-super timeline highway of human possibilities), but passage among them is even harder than traveling through time.

It's all SF. Or is it?

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old August 22, 2003, 02:58   #27
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 17:38
I think that if time travel was invented, no one would come back to our time frame because it's SO GODDAM BORING!!!! I mean come on!!!!

When looking at history in its entirety, you can't exactly say that the last 50 years have been earth-shattering eh? Not compared to WWI/II, or the crusades, or Napolean, or the Romans, or Ancient Egypt, or Alexander's Greece. Geeze, there's so much more exciting things to see before the 1950's - now. Would YOU time travel back to now? I wouldn't.

That's what I think.
Old August 22, 2003, 03:02   #28
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Supposedly, feelings of deja vu or instances where you *swore* you had a pen in your pocket (but now don't) are "signs" that you may be "flipping" among closely related timelines where there are only minor differences (thus their proximity and "easiness" of sliding into).

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old August 22, 2003, 03:54   #29
Dom Pedro II
King

Seriously though, as the area is rather deep inside the realm of speculation, I have used largely deductive reasoning with regards to time travel, and it doesn't seem logical to me.

In fact, I call into question the whole notion of time being some kind of physical thing, or at the very least that it exists within the universe...

If time (past, present, future) exists inside the universe, then, in theory, all three should be obliterated instantaneously, no? Because when the universe ends, all three will be destroyed including what was, what is, and what will be. Therefore, everything that was will also be destroyed. In this case, either there is no physical "time" so to speak in that all moments in time exist in such a way that you could move through it other than as we already do... or that the universe does not end... or the third option, that the universe does end, but time goes beyond the universe.

Now, as I said, this is merely my own deductive reasoning. If there has been some kind of empirical analysis on the matter, I would love to hear it. If it disproves my conclusion, fine. I'm always a willing student.

Old August 22, 2003, 04:12   #30
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by geeslaka
Too late Dom, I've already informed the Boss of your betrayal.
Umm, haven't you heard? The boss was mysteriously assassinated and Dom was promoted to Boss.