Old January 17, 2000, 14:44   #1
NickC
Prince

Local Time: 05:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Suggestions for "Rising Sun"
Well, you know how I said that Vive l'Empereuer might not come until 2001? This is why, is because I am working on a new scenario. The scenario is called Rising Sun, like Mike Jeszenka's old scenario, but just the name is like it. I could use any suggestions possible for improvements, events, wonders, etc. All units will be created by myself.

One feature will be invading east China. This will be rather difficult because the Chinese will mass in poor attack units, but they will keep coming until you capture Beijing. There will also be blockades that the Chinese forces can move into for fortification. The Chinese infantry units are extremely cheap and weak, but you will have to fight many of them.

This scenario is only playable as the Japanese. You will begin by bombing Pearl Harbor, then via events, eventually capture the Philippines, east China, etc, if you can stop the defensive onslaughts by the British and the Americans, combined as one civ, the Allies (Canada, the US, Austrialia, India, Hong Kong, some cities in the south Asian islands, etc). To win, you will have to occupy all of east and south Asia, and if you want, declare war on the Russians, capture the Allied cities, etc. It will be difficult to thwart Allied invasions on your islands, so it will be wise to take out some cities and naval/military bases.

The Japanese will not start out with tanks, and if they do, they will have barely any.

The map will be the Pacific map used in East Wind (by Harlan?) and by Civ2.

To Captain Nemo:
Can I use your WW2-type cities and some terrain from 2194 Days of War and Red Front?

Everyone:
All I have officially done is a few units for this scenario, and I have placed starting locations on the map. If time permits, I will make an official site for the scenario as well, but don't expect the scenario anytime soon, there is much work to be done.

Anyone have some suggestions for me?
Old January 17, 2000, 14:51   #2
Djugashvili
Emperor

Gee, I thought DarthVeda was doing a scenario on the same subject. Oh well.

Which map are you using? Are you making your own? Or is it the Pacific Map that comes with Civ2?

------------------
President of the Apolyton Workers' Union

"Workers of All the World, Unite!!"
Old January 17, 2000, 15:38   #3
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:52
This seems to be a flaw in most WWII scenarios containing China. Nanking was the official, capital, not Peking/Beijing. However, during the war, I believe Jiang Gai-She did move it there.
Old January 17, 2000, 15:41   #4
Djugashvili
Emperor

Don't you mean Chang Kaishek?
Old January 17, 2000, 17:07   #5
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

The Chinese pronounciation is "Jiang Gai-She" as is in most modern history books because of the westernization of the Chinese characters into the "Pinyin" set of letters.
Old January 17, 2000, 17:38   #6
NickC
Prince

Hehe, ok, Mao. D, this is MPS's Pacific map.
Old January 17, 2000, 18:08   #7
DarthVeda
Emperor

I am doing something called "Kyokujitsu", which is the Japanese word for Rising Sun.

I've done about 20 hours of research on the japanese empire and read about 5 personal accounts of the war. (Including Admiral Ugaki's journal).

My scenario will encompass the entire war from Jul 1937-1945. I have at least fourteen pages of surprises I've written down to include in this scenario.

It's also going to be for ToT. I have Captain Nemo doing some of the graphic art for me, but most of it will be done by myself or borrowed from previous scenarios. So I doubt it will be out before May or so.

But one note is that my and Nick's scenarios are going to be freakishly alike (I'm also using Harlan's map). Except mine will have 2 maps (east/west U.S.).

And one other thing: If you thought Red Front was difficult...
Old January 17, 2000, 18:11   #8
DarthVeda
Emperor

I just had a thought... NickC, how would you like to co-author this scenario with me? I already have most of the base work done and the real construction can begin. Alot of the units still need to be drawn and are currently filled in by a crap graphic.

Would you mind burying the hatchet and working in Test of Time?
Old January 17, 2000, 20:32   #9
Fast_Eddie

This could be interesting .

Old January 17, 2000, 20:37   #10
NickC
Prince

DarthVeda, not only will I do that and love to do it, but I'd be honored.

I am in production of units that will blow everyone out of the sea as well. The thing is, do we have to create more than one frame for each unit so they can move? If so, I can't do that, but that is annoying anyways, so lets not do that. Contact me on ICQ.

Yes folks, now, prepare for the challenge of your life!
Old January 17, 2000, 21:47   #11
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 22:52
Local Date: October 30, 2010
DV: Have you solved the "Carrier Conundrum"? What sets the Pacific War apart from all others, before and since, was the emphasis on Carrier Air War. As we all know, the Civ2 AI is hopelessly pathetic and has never been able to handle Aircraft Carriers.

It's apparent that only the Events file can do this, so have you been able to pull it off? If not, does anyone else have ideas on creating, say, "Midway" via the Events file?
Old January 17, 2000, 22:28   #12
DarthVeda
Emperor

I have a few theories on what could be done to solve the Carrier problems.

The reason the AI doesn't use carriers is quite simple: why use it as an airbase when there are many other alternatives? It's the same reason they don't build airbases.

I have a few ideas:

Change carrier to sub ability
OR
Change carrier to air superiority
OR
Change CV to attack role (with 0a of course, but then it would have to be created via events).
OR
Create a seperate Civ for USN so there are no airbases available to hop from with naval aircraft.
OR
Set aircraft carrier as an air unit available for production only through the events and using ToT, make it so the damn thing can't cross into land (forbidden terrain).
OR
Turn it into a helicopter that can't cross into land created via events. I wonder if it could still take cities...
OR
try monkeying with unit type 3...

I'm gonna play with a few things.

Another inherent problem is that Aircraft for the AI are usually Kamikazes (keep attacking until out of fuel, or attack and move away until crash). The other problem is range 2+ units, that have infinite range in the AI's book.
Old January 17, 2000, 23:34   #13
NickC
Prince

DV: Alright, well, I won't be able to give you all my units because I will be working on another WW2 scenario. BUT, I will make some Japanese infantry, Chinese infantry, American marines, and then some aircraft. I could also probably make a Russian infantry as well.

My other WW2 scenario MIGHT take place in the Pacific, but it will be nothing like the one DV and I are doing. DV, I can also get us some awsome sounds. And, is there anything else I can do besides graphics and sound? Oh yeah, I will make some wonder icons as well for us to use, and possible some city improvements. This will be an awsome scenario! Oh yeah, I am in process of scanning a sweet title picture as well.

Our scenario is only playable by the Japanese, correct?
Old January 17, 2000, 23:43   #14
Michael Daumen
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 00:52
Re Kamikazes, why not make them function like cruise missiles?
Old January 18, 2000, 00:06   #15
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Hey, look in the Civ2 General forum for MWHC's thread about the AI and carriers. He got the AI to use them simply by putting the carrier's defense to 18 or something. Worth a shot.
Old January 18, 2000, 01:17   #16
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 22:52
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Cool. You HAVE been thinking about this!
Old January 18, 2000, 02:59   #17
Fast_Eddie

Yes, it's very apparent.

Old January 18, 2000, 03:09   #18
Djugashvili
Emperor

I still wanna playtest.

(I LOVE that job!!)
(8 more posts till I'm King!! I can almost taste that champagne... )

------------------
President of the Apolyton Workers' Union and
Vengeful Employee of Ghost Ham

"Workers of Apolyton, Unite!"