Old August 20, 2003, 22:49   #1
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 10:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Ways to make couple of grands?
Any ideas folks?

The thing is, I'm in a big trouble now. Well I don't owe money to anyone, but I'm broke. My school starts very soon, and I still don't have an apartment, place to live.
We have students housing system, that virtually anyone does if they are out of town, because they can afford it, and because private sector is not exactly affordable for a student. So, students houses (ugly mofos, ghettos ) are the only real option to students.
The thing is, there's so huge line up still to get a place, even when I put my application through at the right time, that they are 'sorry for not being able to help' and 'you'll just have to wait'. That should take I THINK only few months tops, as I'm high priority customer (being from distance, out of their town). So.. I'll have to find my own place and fast too. It's going to cost me money, real money, and I'll have to pay the rent, actually for two months when I sign the contract, if I find a place. Now this money I can, thank God, lend from my dad, but it's not that simple to me, as I actually do want to pay back fast. I need to do it for myself, don't ask why, I'm just weird that way, I can't owe money to people, and the worst is owing to your friends because they don't push you to pay it, but you really should pay it fast or else it gets weird, you know what I mean. So this means a lot to me.

Here's the deal. I actually was able to find this KILLLLLERRR place, it's AWESOME. It makes me smile just to think about it. Usually the student places are the worst our country can offer, but this.. oh I could talk about it forever it's awesome, just take my word for it. Awesome in the price range that is almost possible that is. Good thing is that I have a car, so I can use that to get to school, because it's not exactly in downtown.

Now, I need about 2000 euros/dollars, because the bastards won't give it to me if I don't live there for at least one year. That 2000 euros will cover the extra cost for the whole year for me, so I'll be ok. I'll be still broke, but I'd have that killer place for a year. It's not as simple as 'just get a job', it's actually very hard to get one here, and I'd need it soon too, because I need to know if I'm able to get it for a year or not. I can't risk it and sign the contract and find out I can't pay for the rent.

So, any ways to make couple of grands fast and legally? I thought about selling my motorbike, but it's august so people are not buying anymore. That would then again settle the extra money for the rent for the next year .
So, any ideas?

THe downside to this, if I don't get it, I don't have a place to live. That would truly suck.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old August 20, 2003, 22:51   #2
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 00:39
Sell a kidney to a fat Turkish man.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 20, 2003, 22:55   #3
Pekka
Emperor

Selling bodyparts is not an option. Also I won't become a manwhore, or naked cleaning boy for old women and pervs. I've tried to think about ways making this much of money fast, but I figure few more brains could do good.
I need to move fast if I want that place, and if I want that place (there are others that are interested) I need to come up with cash too, so I'll get it before anyone else. Other options is being homeless. And I don't know anyone in that area, so I can't get a place to sleep.
Old August 20, 2003, 22:55   #4
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 01:39
Buy lots of cellphones! Would work for me.
Old August 20, 2003, 22:55   #5
Pekka
Emperor

Buy cellphones? How would that make me more money?
Old August 20, 2003, 22:57   #6
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 01:39
See my credit card question thread.

Essentially, they paid me hundreds of dollars to take a kickass cell phone off their hands.
Old August 20, 2003, 22:58   #7
Pekka
Emperor

Asher, I live in Finland. Not exactly working concept.

And anyway, I can't take a loan, because I already have to take student loan to be able to live until I find some kind of job. So it's not an option either.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:00   #8
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 02:39
You want a serious answer?

There is no easy solution to get the apartment, if you want it you'll have to bite the bullet and take out at a loan. If you are young you will most likely need your parents to cosign. While it is extremely bad to have to go into debt, you have to live somewhere.

Another option could be to make an arrangement to live with one of your friends.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old August 20, 2003, 23:03   #9
Pekka
Emperor

Shi, I'm of age, but I can't get a loan, I can only get a student loan and I'll have to get it just to live like a human.

I don't yet have any friends in that place, I don't know anyone there.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:05   #10
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Take out more student loans then. Or go begging to your parents.

You don't have any friends at the Uni you are going to?

Old August 20, 2003, 23:06   #11
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Where I go to college, there are ads where students get free or very cheap housing in return for doing housekeeping. This works best in places that are not purely college towns.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:08   #12
Oerdin
Deity

Real anwser: Share a room in the cheapest place you can find near school and sell your car.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:09   #13
Pekka
Emperor

Shi, no I don't have any friends going to same Uni. I'm changing towns. My friends are here, or in other cities. Not in this one though. I'll naturally be making new friends there, but as of now, I don't know anyone.
It's not very safe times to get a loan in here anyway, plus I can't get enough for it since I have to live off it anyway and they only grant 200 euros per month MAX.

I think my parents will lend me the money though, but I want to look at other options first.. if there is any possible way, I'd do that first. My parents are not very rich since they are getting a divorce, and my dad just retired so.. it's a huge money right now.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:11   #14
Pekka
Emperor

Smiley, do not exist in here .

Oerdin, This is about the cheapest place I could find on private sector. And I need that damn car to get to school, as where that place is anyway, there's not really public transportation anymore. I really need that car.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:11   #15
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

become a global arms dealer. Sell some of them Susie Q's.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:13   #16
Pekka
Emperor

Smiley, YES!

Though really I know my problem is kind of tough to solve. How to get money, you can't get loan to this money, you have nothing you can sell right now, and you need it fast, and you can't get it by doing a regular job as of now. Kind of limits the options down!
Old August 20, 2003, 23:14   #17
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 07:39
Pekka: Get it from your parents....I mean you say they'll give it to you, so...It seems pretty obvious to me
Old August 20, 2003, 23:16   #18
Pekka
Emperor

Comrade Tassadar, That's what I'll have to do if there are no other options. But I feel so damn bad about it, I know they really have to look where they are spending money now being separated, other one making enough money to make it on her own, other one retired and getting BS pension money that's small. I mean you're retired, it's time to enjoy your life a bit, buy something nice.... right? Well he can't afford to buy something real nice, but just something.. other than giving it to the forever spending kid.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:19   #19
Pekka
Emperor

But then again I could still pay it back. When I get that job, I'd pay back when I could. But who am I kidding, I'll be broke for the next 5 years so.. every euro counts.
But it's not like I have lots from which to choose right now. This is why I made a thread about it.. anyone having any ideas?
Old August 20, 2003, 23:20   #20
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
Comrade Tassadar, That's what I'll have to do if there are no other options. But I feel so damn bad about it, I know they really have to look where they are spending money now being separated, other one making enough money to make it on her own, other one retired and getting BS pension money that's small. I mean you're retired, it's time to enjoy your life a bit, buy something nice.... right? Well he can't afford to buy something real nice, but just something.. other than giving it to the forever spending kid.
I thot w/ age came the wisdom to enjoy life's simpler pleasures? too bad u can't get it up like u use to.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:22   #21
Pekka
Emperor

what are you trying to say, yavoon?
Old August 20, 2003, 23:23   #22
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Shi, I'm of age, but I can't get a loan, I can only get a student loan and I'll have to get it just to live like a human.

I don't yet have any friends in that place, I don't know anyone there.
If you don't have any friends at the new university then I'd suggest living in campus owned housing as much as possible for the first year or two. The reason? You'll meet a lot more people and they'll become much better friends with you if you do that then if you live some where else.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:24   #23
Pekka
Emperor

no such thing here, Oerdin. There is only one student housing system, and it is currently FULL for time no one knows..
Old August 20, 2003, 23:29   #24
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Yes, you can pay it back later.
Personally, I think it would make them much happier knowing they invested more in their childs future. Much happier than getting a fancy whatnot.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:29   #25
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Smiley, do not exist in here .

Oerdin, This is about the cheapest place I could find on private sector. And I need that damn car to get to school, as where that place is anyway, there's not really public transportation anymore. I really need that car.
Are you renting an apartment or a room? If you are renting an apartment then I guarantee you can find a cheaper arrangement by sharing a room with someone. If you are dead set on this apartment then I suggest the follow. Rent it and then place adds all over campus and the near by neighbor hoods looking for a room mate. Share a room and rent out any spare rooms so you can pay a fraction of the cost instead of the total cost.

What ever you do DON'T sign a year long contract. The cheapest way will be to live in student housing as soon as possible plus you will meet more peole your own age if you do that.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:30   #26
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

If you can pay your parents back, work something out with them. Aside from borrowing, there is no legal way for a college student to just pull a couple of grand out of the sky.

Old August 20, 2003, 23:33   #27
Oerdin
Deity

Does the Finnish Army pay recruits who join the reserve forces? Also does the Finnish army pay for the tuition costs of soldiers and/or reservists? In many countries they do so it might be something you to look in to.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:34   #28
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 03:39
I have to agree with Oerdin on all points. Even if the student housing sucks, you'll meet a lot of fellow students this way. Best not to get into something long term at this point.

It's worthwhile to wait it out. I guess some people will drop out of college and the queue will get shorter?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old August 20, 2003, 23:36   #29
Pekka
Emperor

Oerdin, that was what I was thinking. I am moving to student housing the first chance I get, like I said, I think it'll only take few months tops as I am their high priority.
It's not exactly an apartment, it's a room. It is in the 'cheap' price range. And if things don't go well, I need someone to share it with me, to cut down the cost, when it would be actually hella cheap place to live.
But it's basically only one room, well one BIG room.. so girlfriend would be a good idea. But then again it might not be such a great idea .

It would be NICE, if I could someone work through that contract so, that I live only 2 or 3 months there. That would be ideal for me. But I don't know how to get out of that contract. It's not very binding I think, but they don't want to rent it to anyone who is planning to live there for only 2 months. And you only pay the first 2 months right there, and then once a month. Maybe I could take it, and then just be an ******* and say 'look mr. rent taking man, I just got fired from my part time job and can't afford the rent anymore, I'll pay the next months rent as an extra'.. I don't know.. maybe.. I need to research this option fast.
Old August 20, 2003, 23:37   #30
Pekka
Emperor

DanS, yes that is my plan, but it is currently full. I couldn't afford to live anywhere else for 5 years, but there . This is temporary solution, so that I have somewhere to go when it's raining and I need to sleep.