Old August 21, 2003, 15:19   #1
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 01:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Dell Dimensin 8300 Question ...
Everyone:

... OK, so I'm in the market for a new computer and, yes, I'm not automatically ruling out a PC while checking out the latest Apple iMac model.

Anyway, I've heard good things about Dell in general, and their Dimension line of desktops in particular. I would appreciate the opinions of my fellows at 'Poly in regards to Dell Dimensions.

I was over at the Dell site the other night, and by the time I finished "customizing" my proposal, it was costing between $2600 and $2733, which is roughly the same amount I'd be spending altogether for a 1G iMac. Going on memory alone, I think I had the proposal customized to:

1. 3.2gh processor

2. 200G hard drive

3. CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R/DVD-RW drive

4. Also added 3.5" floppy drive

5. 17" flat screen Ultrasharp monitor

6. I left the sound and video cards alone. I think 64mb of video RAM is enough for anything I might do, hmm (i.e. play Civ III and other related strategy-type games ... not online 3D graphics intense Duke Nukem types of games)?

7. Microsoft XP At Home OS.

8. Microsoft Office suite of apps (the PC ships with a WordPerfect suite)

9. 1G of RAM. (They say XP by itself requires 256mb for optimal performance ... talk about bloat!)

I figured I might save a bit of money going the PC route, but as you can see, this isn't necessarily the case. I figure by the time I add a printer to the mix, I'd be spending just as much for a PC as I would for a similar purchase involving an iMac, software and printer.

So, fellow 'Polyites, what's the word?

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old August 21, 2003, 15:29   #2
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 03:40
Go with the imac...

Seriously, even if it does cost a little bit more, which it doesn't sound like it will, the space that you save and the ease of use factor more than makes up for it. I'm using the imac right now and the lcd screen that it uses is GLORIOUSLY crisp and clear.

Personally, I'd wait for the next, hopefully G5 equipped imac, but I guess you wouldn't want to wait that long. That's ok, I can...
Albert Speer
Old August 21, 2003, 15:38   #3
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 00:40
Go for something that allows more than one desktop to spread your game windows across.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old August 21, 2003, 15:38   #4
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:40
I'm a bit Dell fan, so my answer may not be too credible...
But Dell rocks. Every single product my family bought from them was good. The service is efficient, and their computers seem to be individually tested before being shipped (that's why shipping is slower than with other brands).

Besides, if you're buying a PC, you'll have access to more games, especially to the upcoming Civ3 Conquests this fall (I'm not sure they'll do the expansions for Mac - I was under the impression they stopped the Mac support mid 2002).

So, that's the Dell all the way
Old August 21, 2003, 15:43   #5
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Meh, civ 2 is enough for me.
Albert Speer
Old August 21, 2003, 15:47   #6
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
Go with the imac...

Seriously, even if it does cost a little bit more, which it doesn't sound like it will, the space that you save and the ease of use factor more than makes up for it. I'm using the imac right now and the lcd screen that it uses is GLORIOUSLY crisp and clear.

Personally, I'd wait for the next, hopefully G5 equipped imac, but I guess you wouldn't want to wait that long. That's ok, I can...
I'm using an iMac right now — a 333mhz purchased in May 1999 — and have never had a problem with it. So, for quality, Apple is nearly unbeatable.

I'm leaning towards an iMac, but I would also like to have some games that I like playable on it. Right now, that doesn't seem likely, what with Mac OS 10.3 not supporting Classic (therefore, making it hard to play Civ II w/o a partition for OS9 ... slight pain in the butt). Also, Civ III for the Mac is just the original release itself w/patches through 1.29; an editor that only works through the 1.21 patch; and a big question mark regarding the Conquests port.

Anyway, I've ordered a subscription to MacAddict as a first step in the new purchase of an iMac, but the decision isn't final.

Gatekeeper

Old August 21, 2003, 15:47   #7
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
I'd be spending just as much for a PC as I would for a similar purchase involving an iMac, software and printer.
Erm, a similar PC to a 1GHz iMac is in the $1000-1500 range, max.
Old August 21, 2003, 15:48   #8
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Spiffor:

You're not the first to praise Dell — among the folks who recommended it to me was another Mac user who uses both Macs and PCs.

Gatekeeper

Old August 21, 2003, 15:54   #9
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
Spiffor:

You're not the first to praise Dell — among the folks who recommended it to me was another Mac user who uses both Macs and PCs.

Gatekeeper
Well, and I'm even more pushing you to buy a Dell, because this wway you may want to visit and post in the Civ3 forum !
Old August 21, 2003, 15:56   #10
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Man, if i could play even MORE games on my computer, I could kiss my GPA goodbye.
Albert Speer
Old August 21, 2003, 17:18   #11
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:40
Well monolith, you should buy a proper computer and then you could

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 21, 2003, 19:44   #12
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

I don't want to kiss my GPA goodbye...
Albert Speer
Old August 21, 2003, 20:19   #13
Ned
King

Local Time: 23:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I have a Dell Dimension 8100. It came with Windows ME. I upgraded top XP as soon as it came out. When I began having troubles with my DVD, I found that many others had similar problems with this DVD. It was a hardware issue with the DVD (Samsung). When I called Dell (I was still in warranty) they refused to help or to honor their warranty. They said that either I would have to reinstall the Windows ME purchased from them or to install Windows XP purchased from them. I asked whether there was any difference between Windows XP purchased from an store and Windows XP purchased from Dell, they said there was none. It is just that buying the Windows XP from the store violated their warranty - on the hardware.

So, you think Dell has good service?

I don't. If that is why you are going to Dell, I'd say, forget it.
Old August 21, 2003, 20:37   #14
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Ned, if they ask you if you bought WinXP from them, the obvious answer is yes.
Old August 21, 2003, 21:50   #15
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 02:40
Quote:
Ned, if they ask you if you bought WinXP from them, the obvious answer is yes.
No, the obvious answer is "actually, I downloaded a warez version. Is that going to be a problem?"
Old August 22, 2003, 02:09   #16
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Well, and I'm even more pushing you to buy a Dell, because this wway you may want to visit and post in the Civ3 forum !
Heh. Purchases like this cannot be made on the fly, IMO. Besides, if I were to get a new iMac instead of a Dell Dimension, I'd likely pop up in the Civ III forums more often — after all, the Mac does (at least) have Civ III, even if none of the expansions have come over yet.

Gatekeeper

Old August 22, 2003, 02:21   #17
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I have a Dell Dimension 8100. It came with Windows ME. I upgraded top XP as soon as it came out. When I began having troubles with my DVD, I found that many others had similar problems with this DVD. It was a hardware issue with the DVD (Samsung). When I called Dell (I was still in warranty) they refused to help or to honor their warranty. They said that either I would have to reinstall the Windows ME purchased from them or to install Windows XP purchased from them. I asked whether there was any difference between Windows XP purchased from an store and Windows XP purchased from Dell, they said there was none. It is just that buying the Windows XP from the store violated their warranty - on the hardware.

So, you think Dell has good service?

I don't. If that is why you are going to Dell, I'd say, forget it.
Hmm ... my first Dell horror story. Hopefully it won't get up to the rate of disparagement that Gateway has (rightfully, I might add) has earned for its *shoddy* products.

Actually, I was hoping to save a bit of money with a PC purchase over that of an iMac, but unless I re-customize my proposal, that doesn't seem to be the case. The "big-ticket" upgrades that boosted the price seem to be the larger HD and better monitor.

More and more, my purchase decision hinges on what I can do with the purchase. I love Apple's stability and superior quality, and not having to worry about constant threats due to a buggy OS, and a crapload of third-party peripherals/software that may not always communicate properly w/each other and/or XP itself. But I wish Apple had more software available to it — in this instance, the complete Civ III. And 10.3 won't be able to run Classic software, so that chucks Civ II out the window (no pun intended).

**sigh** I'll probably wait until October before going ahead with any purchase. By then there should be word in the Mac world about the status of Civ III Conquests, the upcoming 10.3 and so on. Those are the make-or-break factors right now. Probably piddly stuff in the larger scheme of things but, hey, what can I say? I'd like to have a system on which I can play Civ in its entirety — from good old Civ II to all of Civ III. I could do that on a PC, and also type reports, work on novels, cruise the Internet and so on. I can do that on the iMac as well, sans the games. But that's a major "sans" IMO.

Gatekeeper

Old August 22, 2003, 03:06   #18
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Grrrrrrrrrr...........if you decide on this, and you don't order it from me, you are a moron seriously though, the 8300 is one of the best computers on the market right now (without spending a fortune). I have an 8200 and love it. The 1703FP is an incredible monitor, and the 8300 is an all around great system.

Once again.

*********I WORK FOR DELL************

I'm not sure what all i can do for you, but i will make sure that you get the best price possible. The current promotions are pretty huge, so if you are planning on buying, before wednesday is a good time. I work sunday, tuesday and wednesday. If you are serious, PM me, and i will give you my extension.

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old August 22, 2003, 03:15   #19
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Kaak:

Hey, cool. I'll keep you in mind if I do order from Dell. I can't be hurried into a decision of this magnitude, however, so I'll have to take my chances with the specials and hope they're good when I do order a PC or iMac.

Gatekeeper

Old August 22, 2003, 03:18   #20
Kaak
King

it's no problem, i didn't know what kind of a time frame you were looking at. If it was going to be soon, or later. Anyway, if you have any questions about the computer, or the hardware in it, i'd be happy to answer. I know it inside and out

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old August 22, 2003, 03:33   #21
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Can you help Ned?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 22, 2003, 03:41   #22
Kaak
King

lol...i'm sales, and not tech support, but it sounds like he just needs to get an updated driver. You can't expect changing OSs on an older computer, and not needing a driver for anything...

Old August 22, 2003, 03:52   #23
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:40
Kaak,

The only thing I am not happy with Dell is that when buying a MS Program like Office, they give a Dell version and no longer the MS standard product. And when, for some reason the system asks for the CD, it does not recognize the Dell CD.

Am I wrong somewhere?
Old August 22, 2003, 04:12   #24
Kaak
King

i haven't had that experience. sorry.

Old August 22, 2003, 08:22   #25
Q Classic
Emperor

whatever you do, i'd drop the windowsxp home and go for windowsxp pro.

that is, unless you want a lobotomized version of xp...
Old August 22, 2003, 08:25   #26
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Ned, could this link be of any good help? http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums

Dell Forums->Dimension etc. I have found those forii very useful.

- Paul Valery
Old August 22, 2003, 09:33   #27
Oerdin
Deity

I have a Dell Deminsions 8250 which I bought last Dec. I have nothing but good things to say about Dell and their products.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 22, 2003, 09:36   #28
Q Classic
Emperor

i love them. no other company have i encountered responds so quickly to maintenance calls... and running over 150 computers, that's very very nice.
Old August 22, 2003, 09:55   #29
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT
Kaak,

The only thing I am not happy with Dell is that when buying a MS Program like Office, they give a Dell version and no longer the MS standard product. And when, for some reason the system asks for the CD, it does not recognize the Dell CD.

Am I wrong somewhere?
Hmm, they shipped me the standard MS product. The only thing I've found to be different is the default "support and help" button in the start menu bring up Dell's online support page instead of Microsofts.

I've twice called Dell's service department when I've done bone headed things to my system and they helped me quickly and easily both times.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 23, 2003, 00:11   #30
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Q Cubed:

One of my friends advised me to go with XP Pro as well, if I choose a PC over an iMac. He said it was slightly more stable than XP Home.

Gatekeeper