Old August 21, 2003, 15:57   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Are credit agencies really this stupid?
Arghhh! I'm about ready to pull out my hair. I've decided I would really like to buy a house with in the next two month so I call up a mortgage broker that one of my co-workers recommended so I could get pre-qualified for a home loan. I give the broker my information, tell him I'm a first time buyer, and wait patiently as he pulls up my credit report online. The broker then says "I thought you said you were a first time home buyer?" to which I assure him that I am. He then tells me that the credit agency is reporting that I have four home mortgages; two in San Diego, one in Green Bay, WI, and a fourth one some where in Florida. Further more he tells me that I declared bankruptcy last year, have a $50k home equity line of credit out, and some where near a dozen credit cards.

I tell the man that isn't correct and that there must be some mistake. The man does a bunch of searching and then figures out that since I have a very common name the credit agency has lumped about five other people's credit reports into the credit report with my social security number! What the hell? Doesn't the credit agency bother to check social security numbers or middle names? You'd figure that since I've never lived in Florida or Wisconsin they'd take that as a hint they've made a mistake but no they don't. Now, I have to write a dozen letters to the creditors who are misreporting on me so I can straighten this mess out.

The worst part about it is one of those home loans was taken out in 1991! I was like 14 to 15 years old in 1991 so I really doubt I bought a house.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 21, 2003, 15:58   #2
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 01:40
Do you really have to ask?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 21, 2003, 15:59   #3
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 07:40
Wow... I'm shocked and yet not so much... I can believe it.

That sucks..

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old August 21, 2003, 16:02   #4
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 09:40
HeHeHe...fortunately we have laws against this in Denmark.

But I feel for you. That really must suck.

Asmodean
Old August 21, 2003, 16:05   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 03:40
Bastards!

Send the letters certified mail, and carbon copy the appropriate state better business bureaus (or whatever the proper agency is).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 21, 2003, 16:07   #6
Oerdin
Deity

I found out the two houses in San Diego belong to my dad (who has the same name) and they just put it on my credit report on accident. Still, I have a totally different social security number and with so many mistakes I'm really wondering about how incompetent these credit agencies are.

We should have a legal right to sue the credit agencies for their mistakes. Right now they have no incentive to fix mistakes nor to make them be careful about supplying false information about people. Once they get hit with a few million dollars in law suits from pissed off people they'll make damn sure that what they're saying is correct.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 21, 2003, 16:08   #7
Japher
Emperor

Well Oerdin, this why they tell you to check your credit report at least every 2 years... Good thing that you started now, it may be 6 months before you clean up this mess... I wouldn't fret too much, they can clean it up, it will just take time.
Old August 21, 2003, 16:11   #8
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 08:40
You should be able to sue them for providing false data and make them correct the data, unless they bought some exemption from tort law?
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old August 21, 2003, 16:11   #9
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Bastards !
And Arrian is right: certified mail, carbon copies, and your personal archive is the way to go. Make sure nothing goes wrong with the correcting of th situation, otherwise you'd risk to have stressful problems over deeds that aren't your own
Old August 21, 2003, 16:12   #10
Japher
Emperor

Or you can call in the deeds and sell the property out from whoever has bought them
Old August 21, 2003, 16:15   #11
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Or you can call in the deeds and sell the property out from whoever has bought them
This may be the way to go.
Old August 21, 2003, 16:27   #12
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 23:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A similar thing happened to my parents, specifically with my mom.

My parents own rental properties, have a long credit history (hell, they're in their 70's), long time at specific addresses and cities. Out of the blue, they got denied on a refi of a rental property, and had a bunch of credit cards yanked (one they'd had for 26 years with no problems ) because some deadbeat twit with the same first and last name, and the same middle initial, but different middle name) filed a BK in Riverside County, after running up a totally separate bunch of credit card debts.

40 years difference in age, totally different SSN (even in the credit agencies own records, so it was obvious to anyone who could read they mixed two people), never lived in the same county, and never had credit cards with the same issuers.

My parents weren't very patient with the agency bullshit, so after six weeks of runaround, they solved the problem by a letter from their personal lawyer. Who happened to be a well known partner in the largest law firm in SD at the time. Instant attention, and they never had a problem after that. Plus they get regular letters from the agency that originally screwed up asking them if everything's ok.
Old August 21, 2003, 16:33   #13
Oerdin
Deity

I wish I had a lawyer friend who could write them a nasty letter.
Old August 21, 2003, 16:36   #14
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

You have a right to sue, Oerdin. Instead of writing to all the creditors, however, simply write letters to the credit agencies contesting the information. They have to pull it for 60 days while they check it out, and that's when you can start your mortgage applications. Anything the credit agencies cannot verify as applying specifically to you they have to permanently remove from your credit history.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 21, 2003, 16:40   #15
Oerdin
Deity

Cool! I didn't know that. That is a huge help to me Che.
Old August 21, 2003, 16:43   #16
chequita guevara
Emperor

It may not be so easy, as if they think your claims are spurious, they can toss the letters in the circular file. Google for credit repair. Any honest place will tell you what you need to do, how to do it, and that you can do it yourself. Don't bother with anyone that charges for that info. But you definately have legal rights.

If there's extensive damage to your credit rating, you may wish to consult a lawyer, as it could take a while to fix.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 21, 2003, 16:50   #17
chequita guevara
Emperor

Realize that this is going to take time.

From memory, here's what you do.

You contact each credit agency (the three biggies are Experian, Trans-union, and Equifax) and tell them you think there is incorrect info on your credit histories and that you want to see a copy of your report. By law they must provide you with one free of charge (they have to provide free reports if you get denied or you claim there's incorrect info on your report, otherwise they can charge you). It may take a few weeks for these to show up.

Then you have to go throw and identify those items which aren't yours (good and bad, cuz you never know when good will turn bad).

Each item you contest requires a seperate letter, IIRC.

Don't send them all at once or they will consider it flooding, and deny your requests (it's a common tactic by unscrupulous credit repair agencies).

They will then have to remove the item from your history for about 60 days while they verify the information. If they can't, it stays off. If they can, they will return the info to your history.
Old August 21, 2003, 17:13   #18
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:40
It's sick really...keeping this kind of information and conspiring against you, especially when false information. I believe in this country they have to divulge all information on request.

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old August 21, 2003, 17:16   #19
Oerdin
Deity

They should get their asses sued and have to pay damages each and every time they report false information. If you don't know the information you're spreading is true or not then don't keep telling people about it.
Old August 21, 2003, 19:59   #20
Kuciwalker
Deity

You have to send them letters?

Do you know how to make a letter bomb? I'm sure it's easy to find out.
Old August 21, 2003, 20:13   #21
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
I believe in this country they have to divulge all information on request.
That's the EU baby !
Old August 21, 2003, 20:41   #22
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

That's truly sad.

Only thing that bothers me more than hearing that is not knowing whether something like that might happen to me some day...
Old August 24, 2003, 02:25   #23
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

That sucks

I'm pissed at how hard it was to get a loan for my last home.

**** banks, and **** credit!

I'm paying cash for everything from now on (though I carry credit cards for emergencies). Yes I plan on paying cash for my next house.