Old August 22, 2003, 10:36   #1
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 03:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The delusional top ten
Okay, in the post about egyptians demanding reparations for the Jewish Exodus, I mentioned a few other strong beliefs that are firmly maintained by some despite a complete incompatibility with reality. Namely, the KKK's insistence that it was founded as an act of self-defense against the dangerous freed slaves who felt free to rape white women now that Master no longer had permission from the government to whip them, and Jack Chick's conspiracy theory that states that the Catholic Church is responsible for Communism, Fascism, and both World Wars. What have I missed? Any other real doozies out there?
Please don't post strictly religious beliefs here, for several reasons:
1. I want this thread to go more than one page without getting locked.
2. As Dave Barry observed, all religions naturally sound stupid to all other religions.
3. As religion is closely based on faith, the rationality of religious beliefs isn't as much of an issue.
4. This is my thread, and if you atheists wanna troll you can get your own, dammit.
Other than that, feel free. For a bonus point, post your opinion: this thread is either going to get two posts and then get locked, quickly get threadjacked and turn into a flamewar grounded in obscurity, get a few posts and fade into nothingness, or actually get a large number of meaningful responses. Place your bets!
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old August 22, 2003, 10:43   #2
Richard Bruns
King

Local Time: 08:42
I predict a flamewar.

The biggest major delusion I can think of off the top of my head is the belief that owning more things will make you happier. Practically every religion and philosopher in the history of mankind says the opposite, and they can support their side. But rigorous logic melts like a snowflake in a blowtorch when confronted by a barrage of advertising.
Old August 22, 2003, 10:45   #3
Kuciwalker
Deity

The delusion that this thread will NOT descend into a flamewar, despite all of your requests that it not
Old August 22, 2003, 10:56   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

You ask for a list of biggest delusions, and then tell me to leave religion out of it?!

Bah! No fun.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 22, 2003, 10:56   #5
Kuciwalker
Deity

If he wants us to keep it from being a flamewar, he should have asked us to keep politics out of it too
Old August 22, 2003, 10:58   #6
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 02:42
I predict that anybody that turns this into a flame war will be restricted... And that's a prediction you can take to the bank.

So stay on topic... be nice... or be restricted.
Old August 22, 2003, 11:17   #7
Q Classic
Emperor

well, there are the more recent oddball kooky ones, like flat earth or moon landing in a hollywood studio thing.
Old August 22, 2003, 11:27   #8
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 07:42
Yeah, the Flat Earth Society are pretty delusional.
Old August 22, 2003, 20:39   #9
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Oh, I forgot the one about the moon landing being faked. But are you telling me that the Flat Earth Society isn't a satirical device or a metaphor for their general philosophy? I always assumed that was the case...but you're telling me there are still proponents of the flat earth? What's the ostensible justification for the conspiracy keeping it quiet?
And I left *strictly* religious questions out of the mix to keep things fairly civil, as in, no sideways comments by those wacky folk who like to say, "how about the idea that some guy rose from the dead two thousand years ago?" and then look around like they expect somebody to congratulate them for their wittiness. You know who I'm talking about.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old August 22, 2003, 20:49   #10
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

The KKK is outdated and in need of purging.
Initially, it was a "good" idea.
Newly freed Blacks, being prodded by Yankee Carpetbaggers to cause trouble.

Pretty much how "Gone With The Wind" depicts it.
The group of men, that rode to avenge the attack on Scarlett O'Hara? KKK.
Old August 22, 2003, 20:50   #11
Tuberski

How about the theory of my neighbor that jews are behind everything that happens in the American government.

He was born in Germany in the late 30's.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 22, 2003, 20:52   #12
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Get a rope.
Old August 22, 2003, 22:39   #13
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

How about ZOG? That's a bit more recent than the KKK.

There's also "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion". Even though written more thasn a century ago there are still those who believe that they are the real thing.

How about crop circles?
Old August 22, 2003, 23:22   #14
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

"The biggest major delusion I can think of off the top of my head is the belief that owning more things will make you happier."

Owning more things would make me happier, so long as I got to choose. I refer, of course, to objects that liberate, rather than intrap.
Albert Speer
Old August 22, 2003, 23:42   #15
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Owning more things does make people happier, up to a point. Eventually,you run into diminishing returns.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 22, 2003, 23:42   #16
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 00:42
Major Delusion: Arafat and the Pa actually don't support terrorism and want a two state solution.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 22, 2003, 23:46   #17
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Major Delusion: Israel is the just, all-embracive peace-wanting state in the middle east
Old August 22, 2003, 23:47   #18
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Albert Speer
Major Delusion: Israel is the just, all-embracive peace-wanting state in the middle east
This is true. That doesn't change the fact that Arafat is a swine though.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 22, 2003, 23:53   #19
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

Oerdin:

I think people expect too much of the PA... people like you seem to think Palestine is an actual country and the PA has an organized military that is doing these terrorist attacks... that stone-throwing teenagers are a third-wing of the PA military... and the PA can control its citizens (do palestinians by the way pay israeli taxes?)... the fact is, the PA is as much of a nation-state as... god i dont know what... but the fact is, it's not an actual country but a mass of individuals. of course you'll still have random palestinians fighting a jihad... of course you'll have the PA having immense difficulty securing a diplomatic solution and enforcing peace...

Sharon's gov't on the other hand is centralized, etc.
Old August 23, 2003, 00:02   #20
Oerdin
Deity

Yes, they are a nation. What we have though is the closest thing this nation has to a national government gives money to terrorists and orders terrorists attacks. What's worse is it gives known terrorist masterminds positions with in the government just so they will have diplomatic immunity and be shielded from retailation for there actions.

In my mind these people (the PA) are terrorist supporting scum just like the Taliban and we should destroy the PA just like we have (mostly) destroyed the Taliban.

P.S. I agree that the PA cannot control all of its citizens, but, they aren't even trying. Two years into the road map and not one terrorist has been arrested. The only thing the road map requires the PA to do is dismantle the terrorist networks. They won't do it and so they should be treated like any other terrorist supporting nation.
Old August 23, 2003, 05:14   #21
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 07:42
Well that didn't take long.
Old August 23, 2003, 05:28   #22
Rogan Josh
Prince

The atheist claim that science disproves religion.
Old August 23, 2003, 06:54   #23
Sandman
King

Straight in at number one, North Korea.

The Church of Scientology is also right up there.

Arafat is an impotent doddering punchbag. When he kicks the bucket, Israel will just find a new 'mastermind' to vilify.

As for the Flat Earthers, I'd almost be willing to see taxpayers money fund trips into space for them, just to see the look on their faces.
Old August 23, 2003, 07:40   #24
DanielXY
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Ok, Im a Flat Earther ... where is my ticket?
Old August 23, 2003, 08:02   #25
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 09:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

P.S. I agree that the PA cannot control all of its citizens, but, they aren't even trying. Two years into the road map and not one terrorist has been arrested. The only thing the road map requires the PA to do is dismantle the terrorist networks. They won't do it and so they should be treated like any other terrorist supporting nation.
After all I think it seems to be difficult to do.
I remember in the time before the second Intifada where you could always read, that every time there was a major Terrorist Attack in Israel the Israel Military destroyed Palestinian Policestations for Revenge.

It always seemed to be very counterproductive to me, to avenge terrorist Attacks by destroying the Infrastructure which could be used by the PA to counter those Terrorists (except of course you had no real Interest in giving the PA a Chance to get rid of the Terrorists).

So I think the major Delusions go like this:

The current Israeli and Palestine Government will be successful in finding a way to peacefully live together.

and

Hamas, Islamic Djihad or the Israeli Settler Organizations (and their political Parties) are really interested in a two State Solution and in Palestinians and Israelis living peacefully side by side.
Old August 23, 2003, 08:50   #26
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogan Josh
It does...

but this is in clear violation of the first post...
Old August 23, 2003, 11:27   #27
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
That "the atheist" makes this claim.
Old August 23, 2003, 11:35   #28
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus_MST

After all I think it seems to be difficult to do.
I remember in the time before the second Intifada where you could always read, that every time there was a major Terrorist Attack in Israel the Israel Military destroyed Palestinian Policestations for Revenge.

It always seemed to be very counterproductive to me, to avenge terrorist Attacks by destroying the Infrastructure which could be used by the PA to counter those Terrorists (except of course you had no real Interest in giving the PA a Chance to get rid of the Terrorists).

So I think the major Delusions go like this:

The current Israeli and Palestine Government will be successful in finding a way to peacefully live together.

and

Hamas, Islamic Djihad or the Israeli Settler Organizations (and their political Parties) are really interested in a two State Solution and in Palestinians and Israelis living peacefully side by side.
If the PA's police functioned like the police in other nations then I would agree with you that destroying police stations would be counter productive. As it is though the PA would give jobs to members of Al Aqsa and then make them police officers! :eeek: It was the police who were proven to be running some of the worst terrorist attacks. What else is Israel supposed to do but destroy them?

Arafat is smart. The terrorists are his biggest competetion so he hires them thus making them partially dependent (and certainly more favorable to him) plus this gives the terrorists legal cover. I.E. the news papers then say "Israel killed a PA police officer" and not "Israel killed a hamas opporative" which is what really happened.
Old August 23, 2003, 11:43   #29
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Here we go...

Hey, guess what, science does disprove (a lot of) religion. It doesn't disprove god, however, and I doubt many atheists at all would claim that it does.

God != religion.

I think up in the delusional top ten has to be Creationists. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt (a nation which seems to have not noticed the Great Flood wiped it out).
Old August 23, 2003, 11:48   #30
Oerdin
Deity

Oh, the creationists have to be a top form of delutional denial. As a geologist I can't help but snicker whenever I hear those funimentalist Christian radio stations talking about "geologic proof of the great flood" or "geologic proof the world is only 3,000 years old".

These idiots often don't know the first thing about palentology yet they think they know enough to disprove sound science based upon what they've read in a three chapter fundie book.