Old May 2, 2001, 21:07   #1
popcornvendor
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:59
Local Date: October 30, 2010
who here staggers in awe of some of these civ players?
iv been looking at some of those high score civ games in the hall of fame area. my god, there amazing! my mouth just kinda hung there when i looked at some of the maps. especially the 1000 AD games. iv had the game for 3 years, and although i know im far from mastering it, i thought i was doin pretty good. but ur scores blew anything iv made right out of the water. anyone else feel like i do?

------------------
Enjoy the war while you can, the peace will be terrible
Old May 2, 2001, 21:29   #2
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 17:59
Nahhhh... don't let the scores impress you. Anybody that reads through these forums can match many of them.

If you want to be really impressed, play a few of the "players" in MP.
Then you will be truely impressed
Old May 2, 2001, 21:38   #3
popcornvendor
Chieftain

hm....... there are 2 options here. the first is i could play these people and see how quick i get my butt whooped. 2 is i can whimper in the corner and wonder what would have happened if i chose option number 1. for the time being, i think ill just stay in the corner and play single player civ2 for a while
Old May 3, 2001, 02:20   #4
Alexander's Horse

I can't match - because of a bug, after about 350%, my score turns negative

------------------
Founder, Dear Leader and Great Helmsman of PROT -the People's Republic Off Topic www.delphi.com/prot1

Old May 3, 2001, 08:04   #5
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 18:59
Sorry, but high scores don't impress me much. A super high score is a sign of having a lot of patience, determination, and waaaay too much time on one's hands. But it doesn't necessarily demonstrate any great skill at the game. The early AC landings and size 1 OCC games people have been posting lately are a lot more impressive to me.
Old May 3, 2001, 08:39   #6
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Yeah, the original OCC records really impressed me. But since Paul has published the OCC strategy guide, just about anybody can do it if they follow his advice and don't run into any really bad luck.

But I'm with you, the size 1 city OCC seemed impressive to me

And as to your point about high scores... I agree as well. I remember when I went for the total points record and scored around 20,000 points before I just gave up and launched the ship early, it wasn't a matter of skill, just patience... IT WAS VERY BORING, and I don't recommend anybody bother unless they have a few months of free time on their hands and they have NOTHING better to do
Old May 3, 2001, 10:07   #7
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:59
Personally now that guides are out and people have created disaster scenarios..... i am no longer impressed with sp games.

Yah yah yah..... landing in bc times is great...... that shocked me at the time..... i also know that i will never have the patience or in most cases the skill/luck to pull off some of these quick wins.....

But i can MP with the best of them and to me that means more at the end of my day as humans have far more guile and killer instinct than the ai

On the flip side though..... i must admit to being in awe of some of the records that are posted and of all the knowledge that has been extracted from this game by several of the SP kings......

Solo.. Ribbanah... Dave... Scouse.... Oedo.... and anyone whom i forgot as i know i have ..... a big round of applause from the Mongol Horde whom have snuck scribes in during the revelation of new ideas, theories, and patterns and thus transferred this stolen data to their own usage during MP games
Old May 3, 2001, 10:36   #8
drake
King

I am in awe of no one.........single player accomplishments don't do anything for me and I have yet to play a multiplayer opponent that inspires awe.....I've been smoked pretty badly in a few duels, but they don't very well demonstrate a masterful player, as I think most would agree.
Old May 3, 2001, 10:41   #9
solo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

In SP games, once a better strategy is discovered, anyone who follows it faithfully can get similar "spectacular" results, so there is no need to be in awe. The best players are the ones who excel in MP games, a much better test of skill.
Old May 3, 2001, 11:39   #10
East Street Trader
Prince

Well, it's hard not to agree that MP must be the real test.

But, gentlemen, I'm with Popcornvendor on this. I'm way impressed with some of the early finishes and sometimes when I read a log I find myself exclaiming out loud at the wit with which the person has played.

Solo, you will just have to live with legend status, in my house, anyway.

Ribs is another and your Rome scenario finish, DaveV, is also in the "awsome" category.

Old May 3, 2001, 14:21   #11
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 15:59
I regularly get impressed at the stuff reported here, just head over to the great library in strategy, and read some stuff. just the kind of stuff you can make the game do, the hoops you can jump through once you learn, are astounding. I wlked around in a daze for a half day after reading Paul's OCC guide. I never imagined the deep thinking that goes into these things.

Wow.
Old May 3, 2001, 14:22   #12
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 15:59
Just go over to the strat forum and attend Xin Yu's war academy for awhile, and see if your head explodes...
Old May 3, 2001, 14:24   #13
drake
King

quote:

Excuse me, all you Mpers who are patting each other on the back, do any of you win without diplomats and spies? Just curious about that, since I never played in a MP game that wasn't filled with those nasty little buggers reaking havok all out of proportion with any kind of historical varasity. If you people win without them, then I would be immpressed, but not before.

In my current game, I've only used a few spies and diplomats in the entire game. None were used to bribe units or cities and I've done quite well.
(See Monday Night Diplo thread)

*pats self on back *
Old May 3, 2001, 15:05   #14
Ming
lifer
Retired

quote:

Originally posted by cpoulos on 05-03-2001 12:37 PM
Excuse me, all you Mpers who are patting each other on the back, do any of you win without diplomats and spies? Just curious about that, since I never played in a MP game that wasn't filled with those nasty little buggers reaking havok all out of proportion with any kind of historical varasity.

Oh... like people don't use hordes of spies/diplos in SP

But I hear you. In most MP games I play, we don't allow bribing cities.
This helps limits the problems they can cause. I really don't see them being over used in most MP games. Sure, they take down city walls, steal sciences, bribe units... but no more so than I'm used to seeing in a SP game.
Old May 3, 2001, 15:39   #15
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by Ming on 05-03-2001 03:05 PM
Oh... like people don't use hordes of spies/diplos in SP
But I hear you. In most MP games I play, we don't allow bribing cities.
This helps limits the problems they can cause. I really don't see them being over used in most MP games. Sure, they take down city walls, steal sciences, bribe units... but no more so than I'm used to seeing in a SP game.
I try not to, but as you are well aware, it is almost impossible to win the game at higher levels without the intelligence arm, as they are a neccesary evil. Some 'house rules' as you mention, would of course limit this in a multi-player game, but they are still far to powerful a tool in the game. It's something I hope that civ-3 addresses, with maybe a system like SMAC, that has a tech that makes you immune to those nasty little brutes. Diplomat indeed!

------------------
All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
Old May 4, 2001, 00:37   #16
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Excuse me, all you Mpers who are patting each other on the back, do any of you win without diplomats and spies? Just curious about that, since I never played in a MP game that wasn't filled with those nasty little buggers reaking havok all out of proportion with any kind of historical varasity. If you people win without them, then I would be immpressed, but not before.

------------------
All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
Old May 4, 2001, 04:21   #17
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:59
The problem with multiplay is you almost never see modern or even semi modern units,improvements etc.
Old May 4, 2001, 09:43   #18
Juggler
Prince

Local Time: 23:59
High scores never impress me. If you have a lot of free time on your hands you can be just as good. I have been playing Civ2 for 4 years and I have to admit that I am still not perfect. Besides, there are other things to do (and games to play).
Old May 4, 2001, 09:56   #19
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 16:59
Those super-high scores are more a sign of somebody with far too much time on his hands than anything. It is impressive that they took the time and effort to pull it off, tho. On the other hand, I can't help but wonder if they could instead have gotten a master's degree with the same intense work...

------------------
"There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
-Philip of Macedon
Old May 4, 2001, 11:46   #20
jake03
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by popcornvendor on 05-02-2001 09:38 PM
hm....... there are 2 options here. the first is i could play these people and see how quick i get my butt whooped. 2 is i can whimper in the corner and wonder what would have happened if i chose option number 1. for the time being, i think ill just stay in the corner and play single player civ2 for a while

I am with you buddy,
I can't help but think what some of these guys would be like if they had jobs.

[This message has been edited by jake03 (edited May 04, 2001).]
Old May 4, 2001, 17:43   #21
SilverDragon

quote:

Originally posted by War4ever on 05-03-2001 10:07 AM
.... and anyone whom i forgot as i know i have .....

Paul.

Edit: And Xin Yu

[This message has been edited by SilverDragon (edited May 04, 2001).]

Old May 7, 2001, 09:48   #22
drake
King

quote:

I am with you buddy,
I can't help but think what some of these guys would be like if they had jobs.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
Old May 8, 2001, 00:35   #23
Hasdrubal
Prince

Local Time: 23:59
High scores: no.

What is awe-inspiring to me are some of the AC-records, both OCC or regular. Before coming to Apolyton, I couldn't even envision winning the game with just one city. Not to mention arriving in the 1500's as well.

The near-scientific approach needed still doesn't cease to amaze me.