Old August 24, 2003, 16:40   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 00:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I love the 70's!
Okay I was too young to remember much. But the tv show on VH1 is pretty funny.

What a weird decade. People must have been insane back then. EST? I still haven't figured out what that is. TV shows like Issus. And Grizzly Adams . And they had this one tv show where they went back in time and there was dinosaurs and ****.

Old people are just weird. You can't say nothing bad about the stuff in the 80's, that was just cool . But the 70's pop culture just borders on insanity.

Though it was cool seeing the clips of Foxy Brown and Death Wish.
Old August 24, 2003, 16:42   #2
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You just like it cause everybdoy was doing it.

Mis Novias
Old August 24, 2003, 16:44   #3
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

and the music

That soft rock was abosuluetly horrible

Barry Manilo

President Ford signs the metric conversion act . what happened? We still aren't there yet.
Old August 24, 2003, 16:45   #4
Solly
Emperor

Local Time: 08:46
90s was pretty shite, apart from the pop-punk.
Old August 24, 2003, 16:57   #5
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 02:46
Dissident, you're weird.
Old August 25, 2003, 23:22   #6
Tuberski

Diss, are you Dissing on Land of the Lost!?!?!?

Chaka will get you, or a sleestack.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 25, 2003, 23:24   #7
MrFun
Emperor

Re: I love the 70's!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
Okay I was too young to remember much. But the tv show on VH1 is pretty funny.

What a weird decade. People must have been insane back then. EST? I still haven't figured out what that is. TV shows like Issus. And Grizzly Adams . And they had this one tv show where they went back in time and there was dinosaurs and ****.

Old people are just weird. You can't say nothing bad about the stuff in the 80's, that was just cool . But the 70's pop culture just borders on insanity.

Though it was cool seeing the clips of Foxy Brown and Death Wish.
You mean I was not the only one that watched the VH1 series?

I am looking forward to the series about the decade that I spent my childhood in -- the 1980's.

But by the 1990's, I was a teenager, and leaving my childhood farther behind.
Old August 25, 2003, 23:26   #8
Tuberski

Re: Re: I love the 70's!
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

You mean I was not the only one that watched the VH1 series?

I am looking forward to the series about the decade that I spent my childhood in -- the 1980's.

But by the 1990's, I was a teenager, and leaving my childhood farther behind.
It's called I love the '80's and is on VH-1 about once a month.

Geez.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old August 25, 2003, 23:26   #9
MrFun
Emperor

It was on already? They advertised it as coming in October, I thought.
Old August 25, 2003, 23:28   #10
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 01:46
The 80s ****ing sucked. Terrible, terrible...

I cringe every time I see 80s movies and hear 80s music.
Old August 26, 2003, 00:21   #11
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:46
Asher speaks the truth
Old August 26, 2003, 01:18   #12
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 17:46
Ahh, yes, flares, Baader Meinhof, prog rock, Watergate, curly perms, Viet Nam, platform shoes, Ethiopian Civil War, purple zip fronted stretch cardigans, famine in the Sahel, disco pants, Bloody Sunday, Demis Roussos, ETA bombings, fondue sets, Charter 77, concept albums, Andrei Sakharov, wet look Afros, the invasion of Cyprus, James Last albums, dirty wars in South America, **** pile rugs....

...power cuts, miners strikes, devaluation of the pound, the OPEC crisis.....

orange and chocolate coloured decor.... ...boob tubes....

...the Bee Gees (oh, the horror, the horror...)

The 70s.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old August 26, 2003, 01:27   #13
Oerdin
Deity

Re: I love the 70's!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
And they had this one tv show where they went back in time and there was dinosaurs and ****.
Land of the Lost. I'm actually old enough to remember watching reruns of LotL after Saturday morning cartoons. The clay mation was truely pathetic but this was before computer animation and in some ways it was better then the generic comp gen stuff that passes for animation now days.

Of course real hand draw animation had it's hay day during the mid-1980's with the high detail big budget Japanimation movies like Macrose.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 26, 2003, 01:28   #14
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 03:46
I loved the '80s rocked .

It was a much better decade than what I've seen so far of the 70s.... though Led Zep and The Who were pretty good things from that decade .

Michael Ian Black RULES, btw .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 26, 2003, 01:33   #15
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
The 80s ****ing sucked. Terrible, terrible...

I cringe every time I see 80s movies and hear 80s music.
Hey **** off! The 80's rocked baby.

Now the 1970's were truly a dark period. I don't remember much but I do have some pictures of me dressed up in the most atrocious brown corduroy bell bottoms along with an orange and yellow butterfly collared shirt. My mother just loved to show that picture off when ever I had a girlfriend come over. Oh, the embarrassment.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 26, 2003, 01:33   #16
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The 70's were OK, except the Beatles broke up.
Old August 26, 2003, 01:36   #17
Oerdin
Deity

The Beatles broke up in 1969.
Old August 26, 2003, 01:45   #18
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Re: Re: I love the 70's!
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

Land of the Lost. I'm actually old enough to remember watching reruns of LotL after Saturday morning cartoons. The clay mation was truely pathetic but this was before computer animation and in some ways it was better then the generic comp gen stuff that passes for animation now days.

Of course real hand draw animation had it's hay day during the mid-1980's with the high detail big budget Japanimation movies like Macrose.
I remember watching it when it first came out.

Old, old, old.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 26, 2003, 02:39   #19
Oerdin
Deity

The you have to be in your early thirties because I'm 27 and I only remember the reruns.

I do remember watching new episodes of The Dukes of Hazard, the A-Team, and I know who shot J.R..
Old August 26, 2003, 02:49   #20
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Hmmm, the 1970s . . .

The Stooges, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Television, the New York Dolls, Blondie, the Ramones, Talking Heads, The Heartbreakers, the Voidiods, Pere Ubu, Parliament/Funkadelic, James Brown, Kool & the Gang, Sly and the Family Stone, Bootsie Colins . . .

Gay liberation, feminism, the peak of the civil rights movement, free love, no AIDS, no drug war, the fall of Nixon, the exposure of the government's crimes, legalized pot in five states (including Nebraska where I lived at the time).

Welcome Back Kotter, Rocky, Star Wars, Happy Days, Cheech and Cong, Starsky and Hutch, Farah Fawcet, Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Coolie High, Robin Williams, Steve Martin,

It wasn't all bad.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 26, 2003, 03:06   #21
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I very narrowly missed 1966.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 26, 2003, 03:11   #22
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
The Beatles broke up in 1969.
That's an interesting take. You were alive then?
Old August 26, 2003, 03:23   #23
Oerdin
Deity

I thought it was 1969.
Old August 26, 2003, 03:28   #24
notyoueither
Deity

No, it was early '70. Let It Be was still being worked on.

McCartney came out and said that the Beatles were dead.

It is my second memory of TV or radio as a 'where were you' phenomena. I listened to it on radio.
Old August 26, 2003, 09:42   #25
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The Beatles broke up in April of 1970.

The VH-1 show that Mr Fun saw was the second edition of "I Love the Eighties", subtitled "The decade strikes back" or something.

Quote:

Well, what can you expect from a decade sandwiched between the groovy '60s and the yuppiefied 80s? American society was pretty schizophrenic back then.

The 70s were a decade where the baby boomers got out of college and therefore starting to lose the social cohesion that they held in the sixties - some Boomers went out partying and druggin' out at Studio 54 and all the other hot dance joints, some Boomers stayed stoners and brought you the likes of HR Puffinstuff and Cheech and Chong movies, and a good chunk of them pretty much missed the social upheaval of the sixties altogether (which is how you get Barry Manilow and Debbie Boone).

The songs that they play as background music is not necessarily from the year that the episode is about. For example, in 1977 they played The Main Ingredients "Everybody Plays the Fool", which we all know was released in 1972. Don't we? (put old codger smilie here)
Old August 26, 2003, 09:46   #26
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Last edited by SlowwHand; August 26, 2003 at 10:00.
Old August 26, 2003, 09:49   #27
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

The Beatles broke up in 1970.
Old August 26, 2003, 09:57   #28
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 07:46
Dont forget Saturday Night Must-see TV : the Fantasy Island/Love Boat doubleheader.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old August 26, 2003, 09:59   #29
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
Hmmm, the 1970s . . .

The Stooges, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Television, the New York Dolls, Blondie, the Ramones, Talking Heads, The Heartbreakers, the Voidiods, Pere Ubu, Parliament/Funkadelic, James Brown, Kool & the Gang, Sly and the Family Stone, Bootsie Colins . . .
Hm, I see Che was a punker and a funker. Surprised you didn't mention the best of the punks, dude -- Gang of Four and The Clash. There was Elvis Costello, Patti Smith. The early 70s saw the creative peak of heavy metal, esp. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Blue Oyster Cult. Other faves -- Deep Purple, Wishbone Ash, early Kansas, early Springsteen (esp. the wild, the innocent & the E st shuffle), CSN(&Y), Hendrix, Santana, Zappa at his best, the vital period of Jethro Tull, a German band called Triumvirat who combined the best of Yes and ELP), the emergence of reggae, and on and on. (Plus, I must confess that I was insanely hooked on the Eagles Hotel California album, and the first Boston album.)

BTW, just for the record, the Grateful Dead were the most boring band I've ever seen live. The only way for that music to remain interesting through their typically 3+ hour performances had to be the drugs.

80s music was imho a true cultural nadir. And I deny the existence of the whole 70s disco scene, except to point out that it's what caused all that 80s crap.

Quote:
Gay liberation, feminism, the peak of the civil rights movement, free love, no AIDS, no drug war, the fall of Nixon, the exposure of the government's crimes, legalized pot in five states (including Nebraska where I lived at the time).
Ah, those were the days... The ecology movement and antiwar rallies on campus were political touchstones of the time for me.

Quote:
Welcome Back Kotter, Rocky, Star Wars, Happy Days, Cheech and Cong, Starsky and Hutch, Farah Fawcet, Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Coolie High, Robin Williams, Steve Martin
Hey, Che, you must've been getting tired, cuz some of those TV shows really sucked. But there was some cool mass media in the 70s -- like Saturday Night Live, All In The Family, and the best years of Johnny Carson. 2001 a Space Odyssey blew our minds for about 5 years until that Star War thing happened. I loved A Clockwork Orange, The Candidate, All The President's Men, Blazing Saddles...

I will admit, however, that youth fashions of the 70s were incredibly vile. Well, except denim. Denim will always rule.

this thread =

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old August 26, 2003, 10:05   #30
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 07:46
Quote:
BTW, just for the record, the Grateful Dead were the most boring band I've ever seen live. The only way for that music to remain interesting through their typically 3+ hour performances had to be the drugs
I so totally agree with you. Although with Joan Osborne taking Jerry's place, I would see them just for the novelty of her on vocals instead of Jerry's off-tune caterwauling.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.