chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Denim isn't a 70's creation.
No, but it became part of mass culture in the 1970s. To me the sexiest thing a woman can wear are blue jeans. I love blue jeans. I have blue denim shirts, a denim jacket, denim shorts, and of course, blue jeans. I need a denim hat.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 26, 2003, 15:58   #33
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 23:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Quote:
The early 70s saw the creative peak of heavy metal, esp. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Blue Oyster Cult.
If you consider Pink Floyd and Blue Oyster Cult heavy metal, your insane .
Old August 26, 2003, 15:58   #34
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 07:46
Quote:
I love the 70's!
I dont! The last time I was musically satisfied was 1969 (16 years before I was born). People like lennon, led zep, heavy metal bands etc were saving grace, but spandex and prog!! . As a rule, music written after lennon was shot automatically sucks.
Old August 26, 2003, 15:59   #35
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 07:46
Pink Floyd? How is the likes of the orgasm song (the great gig in the sky) heavy metal?
Old August 26, 2003, 16:00   #36
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 02:46
Che, as far as young fashion, they were wearing jeans in the 50's.
Not talking cowboys working herds in the 1880's.
Old August 26, 2003, 16:05   #37
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Denim isn't a 70's creation.
In fact, cowboys of the late nineteenth century loved wearing jeans.

Damn Texan beat me to this factoid.
Old August 26, 2003, 17:05   #38
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

OK, OK...
Clarifying -- I said "heavy metal" but meant "hard rock." The music industry of the time called it "progressive rock" and/or album-oriented rock." I worked in radio from '72 to about 1980. Anyway, my bad on terminology.

Re denim, all I was saying is that it was a huge part of 70s fashions. Not invented then, not first worn by youth then. The nature of clothing fashion is that things come into and go out of fashion regularly. The 70s was just *a* time when denim was huge.

I appreciate the effort in nitpicking, but I don't believe "invented in the 70s" was required.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old August 26, 2003, 17:12   #39
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by elijah

As a rule, music written after lennon was shot automatically sucks.
That's just an amusing coincidence, elijah.

Good one.

Old August 26, 2003, 17:17   #40
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 00:46
Quote:
Levi's has always made jeans. The started as durable pants for minners to wear during the California gold rush.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 26, 2003, 17:49   #41
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Hence my point about mass culture.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 26, 2003, 17:53   #42
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Re: I love the 70's!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
Okay I was too young to remember much. But the tv show on VH1 is pretty funny.

What a weird decade. People must have been insane back then. EST? I still haven't figured out what that is. TV shows like Issus. And Grizzly Adams . And they had this one tv show where they went back in time and there was dinosaurs and ****.

Old people are just weird. You can't say nothing bad about the stuff in the 80's, that was just cool . But the 70's pop culture just borders on insanity.

Though it was cool seeing the clips of Foxy Brown and Death Wish.
But being a child of the 50's, 60's, 70's , 80's, 90's & beyond.....

If you LIVED IT you would have had a perspective...afterall..your watching a POPCORN-Colored version of the 70's....not actually living the 70's.....

I was highschool age in 70's..actually pretty cool times..Elephant pants Blue-Suede Converse Dingo Boots Peter Frampton Boston Ted Nugent ..yes even my Disco Days..although I was stationed U S Army in Germany during most of Disco times....

But I would say that it was the greatest era..although i have many fond memories as well as some very painful times...

Peace

Grandpa Troll
Old August 26, 2003, 17:59   #43
chequita guevara
Emperor

The 70s were pretty ****in' cool, though once we hit the 80s we started trash talking the 70s.
Old August 26, 2003, 18:13   #44
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I have blue denim shirts, a denim jacket, denim shorts, and of course, blue jeans. I need a denim hat.

Quote:
The 70s were pretty ****in' cool, though once we hit the 80s we started trash talking the 70s.
Well that isn't rare. Once we hit the 90s, we started trash talking the 80s. 70s kids hated the 60s. It's a rebellion thing, me thinks.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 26, 2003, 20:25   #45
Joseph
King

Re: Re: I love the 70's!
Quote:
Originally posted by Troll

But being a child of the 50's, 60's, 70's , 80's, 90's & beyond.....
a child of the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and beyond

Quote:
If you LIVED IT you would have had a perspective...afterall..your watching a POPCORN-Colored version of the 70's....not actually living the 70's.....

I was highschool age in 70's..actually pretty cool times..
High school 58 to 62

Quote:
Elephant pants Blue-Suede Converse Dingo Boots Peter Frampton Boston Ted Nugent ..yes even my Disco Days..although I was stationed U S Army in Germany during most of Disco times....

But I would say that it was the greatest era..although i have many fond memories as well as some very painful times...

Peace

Grandpa Troll
Navy time listed below.
Old August 27, 2003, 20:26   #46
Joseph
King

Somebody else say somthing.
Old August 27, 2003, 21:11   #47
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph
Somebody else say somthing.
hmmm..ok..

We are family..-Sister Sledge-Theme to Pittsburh Pirates World Series 79 (hats off to Roberto Clemente)

That was a great World Series...
Nice Climax to the 70's

I am from New England and had lots of Music Interests from my area...

Boston, The Cars, J.Geils Band to name a few ..

Oh yes and a group named..was it..yes..AEROSMITH

Peace

Grandpa Troll
Old August 28, 2003, 08:22   #48
-Jrabbit
Deity

Responding to the troll --

Boston epitomized what was wrong with arena (corporate) rock -- but I LOVED that first album.

The Cars -- kinda stupid, a guilty pleasure. Like the way the whole first album connected.

J. Geils -- great bar band, nothing more or less.

Aerosmith -- the 70s were their drug years. Better or worse than the rehab version? (discuss)

But I gotta say, that's a pretty impressive list. What did Chicago contribute to 70s music? Let's see -- well, there was Chicago (duh) and, um, hmm.... Styx (eewww) and uhhhh, err... Head East...?

No cool factor there...

There were some great Chicago punk groups like Ministry, Naked Raygun, and Strike Under toward the end. And we'll always have our blues scene...

From my college town in Champaign came... REO Speedwagon (who were actually good for 2 albums before they moved to LA, changed vocalists, and went corporate.

Hope I forgot some, cuz that's a pretty sad list.

Old August 28, 2003, 10:51   #49
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I was in highschool in the early to mid 70's. I liked that era.

FM Radio was much better then (at least in Vancouver). I cant even listen to radio now it sucks so bad.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old August 31, 2003, 13:58   #50
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I remember a little bit of the late 70's.

I remember my dad had some crazy idea to live outside the city. We had a nudist colony out in the desert. I think that is how I turned up so perverted . Seeing all those naked women at an early age couldn't have been good for me.

I remember going to people's houses and they had beads hanging down from the ceiling in place of doors. Must have been a remnant of the 60's.

I kind of like the **** carpets and stuff. I remember my dad had some thick **** carpet on our van Maybe I'll try to find some and bring that back in style.

I do remember slip and slide from the VH1 show. I never found it that dangerous as in the VH1 show. But I did find the bit about all the dangerous toys pretty funny. Those were the days. Back when kids could have fun with toys. Sure you got hurt once in a while, but you had more fun with toys back then than you do now.

And I remember big wheels. I remember they don't work at all out in the desert on soft sand . But we eventually moved back into the city for cost reasons and I got to use my bigwheel again.

I remember when I was young and one of my training wheels fell off and no one would fix it for me . My parents were very negligent. Of course it was a good thing because it eventually taught me how to ride a bike without training wheels.

And roller skating rinks. I remember those.

And El Caminos
Old August 31, 2003, 14:04   #51
Oerdin
Deity

Re: Re: I love the 70's!
Quote:
Ted Nugent ..
Ted Nugent? :Barf:

Still, dispite Ted filling the 70's with his foul music there were still a few good things. The TV show Let's Make a Deal is a true classic as is All in the Family. Anferd and son was kind of lame though. And don't get me started about the cars. The 70's were the worst period of design in the history of the Automobile.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 31, 2003, 14:13   #52
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Re: Re: Re: I love the 70's!
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

Still, dispite Ted filling the 70's with his foul music there were still a few good things. The TV show Let's Make a Deal is a true classic as is All in the Family. Anferd and son was kind of lame though. And don't get me started about the cars. The 70's were the worst period of design in the history of the Automobile.

Ok..I'm not sure how old you are..BUT

The game show is ok..but I never watched any show Anferd and son..

I am thinking that you be meaning Sanford and Son..
that was funny sitcom with Redd Foxx..
As for Cars being lame in 1970's..we definetly had our share..Pacer and Rambler by AMC..Ford Pinto and Ford Country Squire...

BUT..I dont think it was worse era...

Peace

Grandpa Troll
Old August 31, 2003, 14:27   #53
Oerdin
Deity

Re: Re: Re: Re: I love the 70's!
Quote:
The game show is ok..but I never watched any show Anferd and son..

I am thinking that you be meaning Sanford and Son..
that was funny sitcom with Redd Foxx..
As for Cars being lame in 1970's..we definetly had our share..Pacer and Rambler by AMC..Ford Pinto and Ford Country Squire...
Yeah, that was a typo. I was typing so fast I dropped the S. The 70's were a dark, dark time for automobiles. Not only were all cars universally crap but the smog regulations (and the automakers uncreative responses to the regulations) meant cars were robbed of horse power compared to the 60's. You also had the dreaded 5 mph bumber which ended up defiling even good older designs from the 60's. You could no longer even find relief by buying a foreign car anyone remember how the rubber bumper turned the rather good looking MGB into a hidious monstrosity?
Old August 31, 2003, 15:01   #54
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

but you had the Starskey and Hutch Car!

I seen one of those around Vegas the other day. Stripe and all.

Can't remember what kind it was though.

And then you had Dukes of hazzard Dodge Challengers

Corvette Stingrays.
Old August 31, 2003, 15:27   #55
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Best game show of the decade? "Match Game", hands down.
Old August 31, 2003, 16:29   #56
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I guess the beatles did break up in 1970. The 1970 episode of I love the 70's is on right now. That was before I was born. So I can't remember much.
Old August 31, 2003, 20:14   #57
Joseph
King

Re: Re: Re: I love the 70's!
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

We still had muscle cars until 73. In 74 the car were crap.
Old August 31, 2003, 20:16   #58
Joseph
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
but you had the Starskey and Hutch Car!

I seen one of those around Vegas the other day. Stripe and all.

Can't remember what kind it was though.

And then you had Dukes of hazzard Dodge Challengers

Corvette Stingrays.
It was a Dodge Charger, not the challengers.
Them Dukes boys will be looking for you calling their car a challenger.
Old August 31, 2003, 21:12   #59
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 17:46
I loved a lot of things in the 70s-

Roxy Music's first two albums, Marc Bolan and T.Rex, Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On' and 'Let's Get It On', Kraftwerk's 'Autobahn' and of course Jon Pertwee as 'Dr. Who'.

And when I was young there were excellent children's programmes- 'Tarot, Ace of Wands', 'Children of the Stones' (set in the Avebury stone circle), 'The Changes' and 'the Feathered Serpent' (set in pre-Columbian Mexico).

Mostly I hated the fashions. I hated wearing flares made out of tweed- it itches, it makes you hot, you perspire, you itch some more. Clothes were made with vile fabrics- crimplene is an instrument of torture, invented in some North Korean laboratory to ruin Western children's childhoods and make them detest their parents and the West. Velcro as a fastener on trouser pockets and shirts and pullovers? Please, goddess, no....

Luckily drainpipe trousers came back with punk and new wave, to prevent people being blown away in high winds.

Skinny ribbed zip up cardigans- ecch.

Great films- American paranoia: 'Night Moves', 'Klute', 'the Parallax View', 'The Conversation' and 'All the President's Men' and 'the Crazies'- and Roger Corman's 'Assault on Precinct 13' and 'Dark Star'.

And of course Fassbinder's films to make you feel all warm inside- 'Fear Eats the Soul', 'Despair'....

And great late night films- 'Performance', 'the Baker's Bread', 'Adalen 31', 'the German Sisters', 'Don't Look Now'....

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old August 31, 2003, 22:03   #60
Grandpa Troll
supporter
Immortal Factotum

Quote:
Originally posted by molly bloom

Great films- American paranoia:Roger Corman's 'Assault on Precinct 13'

Finally..someone who appreciates a great flick...

CHOLO

Peace

Grandpa Troll