Old August 25, 2003, 20:06   #31
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 01:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I just don't want the game stopped in the middle again.
Old August 25, 2003, 20:52   #32
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:46
Never fear, Ghengis. The problem in game 1 was the number of civs poll result - 24. We now have only 15 in total, so we will be FAR better off.

Personally, it is exactly a challenge that we want for this game. The start is interesting, and the initial settler placement is going to prove challenging. But we can build the Colossus right away, if we want. There's a potential bonus there, seeing as there would be no corruption (well, 4%) and loads of trade heavy coast tiles. We just need to get the food and shields for it!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 25, 2003, 21:16   #33
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:46
Yes, it will be intersting to see if we move from that start spot or not. I'm dying to see what our scout would show us.

If the land wraps around (as in if that is a small lake we are on) then that start spot might not be so bad...
Old August 25, 2003, 23:08   #34
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

If we found the city on that spot, surely the AI will move to found theirs. I don't think they will found their capital with only one tile between it and another capital.

Wasn't the Aztec capital founded on a lake?
Old August 25, 2003, 23:45   #35
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:46
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
If we found the city on that spot, surely the AI will move to found theirs. I don't think they will found their capital with only one tile between it and another capital.

Good point - the AI only founds cities that are at least two tiles away from the closest opponent culture radius.

IRL, Tenochtitlan was founded on a lake alright, and Mexico City is smack on top of the swamp around the lake, hence parts of it are sinking. Although, the Aztecs relied on tribute from beaten neighbours to keep their Empire functioning, so that's what we need to do - enslave some local populace or two...

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 25, 2003, 23:48   #36
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Sounds like a plan.

Adapt and Overcome.
Old August 26, 2003, 03:13   #37
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:46
Quote:
you could simply state that not all the civs are this close. That's all I wanted to hear.
(hoping to end this)

Not all the civs are this close.

-- BFM
Old August 26, 2003, 10:38   #38
Epistax
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:46
I don't know if this has been established or not, but I'd certainly vote that we either settle where we are, or move TWO squares, not one, as that shield resource will be vital.
Old August 26, 2003, 11:34   #39
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
I brought it up because it was a concern and I hoped for an assurance that all of the civs were not jammed within contact of one another like last time as they took a huge element of the game away. It was as issue brought up and I don't like the idea of playing this game for a month only to find we're going to end in the exact same situation.
Then don't play. I, for one, would applaud such a decision on your part. I doubt I'm the only one...

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old August 26, 2003, 13:52   #40
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 03:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Epistax
I don't know if this has been established or not, but I'd certainly vote that we either settle where we are, or move TWO squares, not one, as that shield resource will be vital.
You get the shield resource anyway. Shield bonuses on a tile stay when you build a city there.
Old August 26, 2003, 15:37   #41
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Looks good. I like it.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old August 26, 2003, 15:47   #42
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFurryMonster

(hoping to end this)

Not all the civs are this close.

-- BFM
All I wanted to know, at least your somewhat more mature about this than Togas.
Old August 26, 2003, 17:02   #43
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I didn't see any "sea" tiles in this inland lake, just coast tiles.

This means it's a large fresh water lake, so no Colossus, but food really won't be an issue as far as growth.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Never fear, Ghengis. The problem in game 1 was the number of civs poll result - 24. We now have only 15 in total, so we will be FAR better off.

Personally, it is exactly a challenge that we want for this game. The start is interesting, and the initial settler placement is going to prove challenging. But we can build the Colossus right away, if we want. There's a potential bonus there, seeing as there would be no corruption (well, 4%) and loads of trade heavy coast tiles. We just need to get the food and shields for it!
Old August 26, 2003, 17:03   #44
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I think the AI is pre-programmed to settle their capital in whatever tile their settler happens to be on unless it's starts in a tile where founding cities is out right illegal. (Mountains)

Quote:

Old August 26, 2003, 17:06   #45
joncnunn
Emperor

As far as I can tell:

Building city in shielded grassland = 3/1/1
Building city in unshielded grassland = 3/1/1

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

You get the shield resource anyway. Shield bonuses on a tile stay when you build a city there.
Old August 26, 2003, 17:46   #46
Kuciwalker
Deity

I've always gotten the bonus.
Old August 26, 2003, 18:30   #47
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

ok, you keep the bonus when you settle on a shielded tile but you gain a shield when you settle on a non-shielded tile.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old August 26, 2003, 20:11   #48
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
ok, you keep the bonus when you settle on a shielded tile but you gain a shield when you settle on a non-shielded tile.
Are there only three people in this DemoGame that have figured that out? Me thinks skywalker needs to get off his Banana Plantation a bit more often........
Old August 26, 2003, 23:27   #49
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I suggest waiting for C3C to come out before starting the next SPDG.

There will be very little interest in this game once expansion arrives. I was planning to lurk here because I've never participated in a SPDG, but I just know this one is not going to last. But hey, if you guys are up for it, do not let me stop you.

Dominae
Old August 27, 2003, 03:50   #50
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:46
It'll be quite some time until enough people have bought C3C, and Firaxis has fixed the first bugs.
Old August 27, 2003, 05:49   #51
Torkkeli
Warlord

Local Time: 09:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
And in some governments (or is it after certain size) you get the extra shield in the city square when built on the shielded title. I just cannot remember how it went. There was a thread about it somewhere, just cannot find it.

But to make the comparison a bit harder we should take into account the fact that once our capital grows, we'll be able to work more titles if we move 1 W.
(I tried to calculate the production/turn for the two sites but got myself ever so confused )
I would have make a fancy comparison table of the two sites... If I just knew how

To briefly summarize the production/turn when all tiles are improved we get for this site 1+2+1+2+1=7(8 if the wheat is bonus)
1 W would produce 1+6x1+2+1=10 (11 if the wheat is bonus + additional 1 shield for each hidden grassland being bonus)

So in the long term it seems it is better to move.

And as last but not least we are not industrious. It takes some time to build up the improvements that would bring in the shields.

To conclude this I still say move 1 tile West.
Old August 27, 2003, 08:59   #52
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Are there only three people in this DemoGame that have figured that out? Me thinks skywalker needs to get off his Banana Plantation a bit more often........
No, a city over a shield bonus produces TWO shields. However, I didn't realize that this didn't happen in some governments.
Old August 27, 2003, 09:39   #53
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

IIRC one of those governments that you do not get the bonus is despotism so then it would be bad for starting? Anyways go ahead do whatever... probably does not matter a huge amount in the long run.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old August 27, 2003, 10:17   #54
Epistax
Prince

If we settle on the shielded square (worst case) we'd only have that one shield, and whatever the wheat provides (plus forest, which bunks growth).

Discuss.

Old August 27, 2003, 10:25   #55
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Move the Scout, then decide what to do with the Settler.

If you found the city on the Bonus Grassland, you will not get the benefit of that extra Shield, at least during the period of the game where it matters most.

Dominae
Old August 27, 2003, 11:31   #56
joncnunn
Emperor

Desoptism isn't the only period in which it's best to found on the grassland without shield:

During the GA, you get +1 shield in every tile already producing at least one already so having the shields spread out is beneficial.

Also should there be an Iron Works, it also produces +1 shield in every tile already producing at least one already. (Not an issue in this area)
Old August 27, 2003, 12:04   #57
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
It'll be quite some time until enough people have bought C3C, and Firaxis has fixed the first bugs.
Besides interest has already dwindled. Waiting will just cause more dwindling. We must halt the dwindling or we will dwindle into an ever dwindling spiral of dwindling doom!
Old August 27, 2003, 19:04   #58
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
Desoptism isn't the only period in which it's best to found on the grassland without shield:

During the GA, you get +1 shield in every tile already producing at least one already so having the shields spread out is beneficial.

Also should there be an Iron Works, it also produces +1 shield in every tile already producing at least one already. (Not an issue in this area)
Iron works just doubles total shield production.
Old August 28, 2003, 01:28   #59
Torkkeli
Warlord

Local Time: 09:46
This just in from the strategy forum:

If we settle on the shield grass we'll get the production bonus in our city square when city size reaches 7 and we must be out of despotism.

So unless there are more shielded grasslands hiding under the fog I think we should build our city right here.
Old August 28, 2003, 19:58   #60
Mad Bomber
King

Build the scity at the start position. With the border expansion you will have good food production (Wheat and Fish) your priority will be maximizing shield production.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.