Old August 29, 2003, 08:07   #61
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I like neighbors... But not so close. Practically in our bedroom!
Old August 29, 2003, 10:04   #62
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 01:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Torkkeli
This just in from the strategy forum:

If we settle on the shield grass we'll get the production bonus in our city square when city size reaches 7 and we must be out of despotism.

So unless there are more shielded grasslands hiding under the fog I think we should build our city right here.
All Industrious Civs get that in ALL of their cities that reach size 7. Its part of your trait and has nothing to do with the underlying tile.

Settle on a shielded grassland and you waste the shield.
Old August 30, 2003, 17:45   #63
ormuzd
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameIron CiversApolyton UniversityC4DG The HordeC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 09:47
No, I guess the industrial get in this case 3 shields.

Building the capital will give us 8 shields (10 if we plant forests). This is too small for a capital. But we don't know what will we find to the west - there may be grasslands with cattles or jungles. Virtually anything.

Let the scout explores and then decide what to do?

P.S. When will be the next discussion? 3950 bc or when we want (ex. after the scout is moved two tiles)?
Old September 1, 2003, 08:49   #64
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 03:47
Has anyone noticed that there is not a cultural border in the tile that the Spanish worker is on? It is entirely possible that the Spanish are not even close to our starting position.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old September 1, 2003, 09:37   #65
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 03:47
Togas and BFM... GREAT MAP! and a GREAT START!

This should be interesting.
Old September 1, 2003, 10:14   #66
Torkkeli
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
Has anyone noticed that there is not a cultural border in the tile that the Spanish worker is on? It is entirely possible that the Spanish are not even close to our starting position.
Thats the way it should be. As they have not built their first city they dont have any cultural borders yet.
Old September 1, 2003, 16:48   #67
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
I like neighbors... But not so close. Practically in our bedroom!
hi ,

, we might be able to take them over asap , ......

maybe they become our most trusted friend , ......

who knows , anyway , we have our UU before them , .....

have a nice day
Old September 4, 2003, 20:10   #68
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 01:47
The capital should be built where we started, building on the shield will deprive us of 1 sheild in the early game. After that, Spain must be severely beat down (if not destroyed), they will occupy too much land close to the capital. (although the capital should probably be moved in the future)
Old September 5, 2003, 03:28   #69
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:47
Quote:
Originally posted by ormuzd

Let the scout explores and then decide what to do?

P.S. When will be the next discussion? 3950 bc or when we want (ex. after the scout is moved two tiles)?
Discussion will be held in a chat, on Apolyton's IRC network, on what to do after the Scout moves.

I'm not sure how many turns OctavianX wants to do before we post results and schedule another turn chat.
Old September 5, 2003, 07:17   #70
Asmodeus
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:47
I would vote that we build on the start spot unless the Scout finds a good luxury or resource spot.

My reasons for this:

We wont miss 50 years of game time (50 turns of cultural catch up at the end of the game).

The start spot is pretty good and will provide plenty of food resourse.

I suspect Spain will be forced to move a hex or two away possibly into a less favourable spot. If they do they will have the disadvantage of the 50 year exodus.

If the water tiles are coast rather than lake (hard to tell without loading it) then we have a good spot for Colossus and Lighthouse. Also seems appropriate for the Vikings - all we need is some fjord tiles

All these points have already been discussed but one other reason I'll add is that there may well be hidden benefits. In a random generated map I often find that an otherwise unremarkable spot turns out to have Horses, Saltpetre or even Uranium later in the game. I know this map was designed deliberately but I'm sure the designers would have put us there for a reason.

Plus the Spanish are not much of a threat to us, our Viking raiders will make good use of the Spanish colonies just over the water, maybe snatch a Wonder or two off them

I could be wrong of course but thats my vote.
Old September 5, 2003, 14:20   #71
ormuzd
Civilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameIron CiversApolyton UniversityC4DG The HordeC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

why do I think the coast gives 1 food without harbor and the lakes - two? I can't check the map now and I may be wrong too.
Old September 5, 2003, 14:25   #72
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

You're correct about the lakes providing two food ormuzd. I can't check the save right now either, but I believe the surrounding tiles are lakes.
Old September 6, 2003, 02:29   #73
ormuzd
Emperor

I've checked them - it's sea coast. Maybe the Spanish will be our neighbours for longer time.
Old September 6, 2003, 16:42   #74
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ormuzd
I've checked them - it's sea coast. Maybe the Spanish will be our neighbours for longer time.
hi ,

inland sea , ......

have a nice day
Old September 6, 2003, 17:08   #75
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodeus
I would vote that we build on the start spot unless the Scout finds a good luxury or resource spot.

My reasons for this:

We wont miss 50 years of game time (50 turns of cultural catch up at the end of the game).
That's not how it works. We only lose one turn of culture, no matter how long that turn is represented in years for the game.
Old September 6, 2003, 17:25   #76
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

Local Time: 02:47
Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

inland sea , ......

have a nice day
It very well could be. I've even seen a fairly large inland ocean before. So, although the Spanish may be on another continent, we can't rule out the possibility of them being on the same continent as us.