Old August 30, 2003, 18:32   #61
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 02:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yep.
Brian, I heard about that on a thread around here somewhere. It's an idea that's on my mind. Wouldn't bother me too much what the AI does--they bribe units even without spy/dip units.

Thing is; this would be a nice touch. Think Lawrence of Arabia. A British spy goes into Arabia and bribes an Oriental unit of Native Horse. That unit is now used against Britain's enemies. Can't do anything like that without a spy. Or Mata Hari, the famous WWI spy.
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.
Old August 31, 2003, 08:06   #62
Ceteram
Civilization II PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 08:47
Exile, my man,
imho, Imperialism 1870 was definetly a major factor in the raise of pbeming, perfectly enjoyable in SP and came with the needed depth of information, in-game as well as readme-wise.
Just follow your instincts, nothing could possibly go wrong. By the way, I like the idea of bribing a few units from the enemy, Vlasov's army- or harki-style.
So, don't dawdle...
Respect and 2 s up,
Old September 1, 2003, 16:06   #63
jim panse
King

Local Time: 09:47
Mind about posting the units .........
Old September 3, 2003, 18:45   #64
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 23:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I always shoot directly for Light Cruisers when I play, since it becomes far more easy to take coastal cities with them. If you get to them before your enemies, you're at a distinct advantage, possibly even too much so IMO.
I also just use the Steamers that I start with, and maybe build some more if I'm low on cash and desparately need to move freights or units. Still Steam Yachts are much preferred.

I definitely enjoy the scenario, and love that it puts to use the underutilized naval and trade aspects of the game. I look forward to the new version!
Old September 4, 2003, 05:24   #65
Cifer Almasy
Prince

Local Time: 07:47
Hi Exile!
Imperialism is one of the scenarios I did play the most often.
What I would suggest is not to focus to much to all those little colonies but to some kind of represent the industrial states a little more. There are so much American and German citys I was missing. I know that in 1870 some citys were smaller then today but I also got some old maps at home and there still are many important citys missing (imho).

Bye, Cifer
Old September 4, 2003, 09:45   #66
curtsibling
staff

Exile:

Cifer is your man for Euro city placement, I can recommend him!
Old September 4, 2003, 12:23   #67
Cifer Almasy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by curtsibling
Exile:

Cifer is your man for Euro city placement, I can recommend him!
Thanks a lot!
Old September 6, 2003, 04:44   #68
gerryandersson
Chieftain

How is it going?
Old September 6, 2003, 05:40   #69
jeibel
Chieftain

Any chance you'll tak up the challeng to make separate landmass for th different continents, as Andrew Livings (and him only) has don in Crises of the New World Order? It suits well a scn so much based upon trade, but is so much hard labor ... and it would also do good for AI stupidity

It's not a chance yours and his are my fav scenarios, since you can take any nation small or large and carry them to forever glory... or utter defeat ! ;p

See-ya
Old September 6, 2003, 21:13   #70
Exile
King

Rolling along . . . .
I'm getting new unit graphics and am testing the changes. Everything looks good so far. May take a little longer, but the end result will be worthwhile.
Old September 9, 2003, 00:10   #71
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ceteram

imho, Imperialism 1870 was definetly a major factor in the raise of pbeming,
Then why did you leave your games? No hard feelings of course.

Quote:
Originally posted by Case

Have you considered releasing two versions of the scenario - one with a low tech paradigm for solo play, and another with a higher one for PBEMs? I imagine that this would be pretty easy to impliment.
I didn't see a response to this; will there be two versions? Also being in the CFC game I think the tech paradigm needs to be drastically reduced. Even in SP I get to WWI techs in the 1880's.
Old September 9, 2003, 23:37   #72
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 03:47
Do railroads have unlimited movement?
Old September 10, 2003, 02:38   #73
Exile
King

No unlimited RR movement.

The cities remain.

IIRC, John Possidente warns about setting the cosmic number too high. Just look at my experiences with the road movement multiplier. Darius, I'll be happy to include a rules.txt with a setting of 15 or 20 in it, and you can, of course substitute and use it, but I can't guarantee that it will function properly or even run at all.

The only substantial changes are a few tweaks to the tech tree and the inclusion of potentially many more Oriental units which are much stronger than in the original scenario. Building costs for improvements, especially factories and exchanges are tremedously increased, though maintenance costs remain unchanged. Unit costs are increased slightly for ground units and substantially for naval and air units. I put the machine gun back in and took out the large freighter. I created the AGENT, which is an enhanced spy, delivered via events. By far the most exciting changes are the nearly totally new set of unit graphics, the results of my untoward demands and the genius of Fairline. The new unit mix is superb as a result of his sterling efforts.
Old September 10, 2003, 03:19   #74
curtsibling
staff

I think this work by Exile and fairline will retake it's well deserved crown as the king of 19th century scenarios...
Old September 10, 2003, 07:25   #75
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 17:47
Exile, is there any chance that you'll kill off Canberra? As I said of the beta version, Canberra was nothing but sheep filled plains in 1870 and a small scale construction site in 1914.* I'd nix it and add an American city.

*Now of course its a beautiful, sophisticated and universally beloved metropolis
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old September 10, 2003, 10:23   #76
Exile
King

LOL!
Nick, I would take your advice and do it, cuz frankly, after you telling me about Canberra's late origins, I can't help but think of it as a giant sheeping station now.

But it is too much trouble to start lifting cities and planting other ones now.

Even so, I'll ask Henrik for his assistance next time I hear from him. He's the master of such things and has helped out before. I'll probably put another city in Africa, though, before I elect to place another in the States.

Any ideas on African cities that I left out?

I was thinking about Bucharest or maybe Sofia too. Anyone know the intimate history of either of those cities during the period?

I'm still testing to make sure all the changes work and didn't screw up anything else.
Old September 10, 2003, 13:02   #77
fairline
King

Maybe Salisbury, Harare or Kampala could be included, or possibly one of the Portuguese cities in Mozambique?

Thanks for the compliments Exile, but don't over-hype the units - people's expectation may be raised too high
Old September 10, 2003, 16:03   #78
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Exile
No unlimited RR movement.
Great, maybe Ill PBEM this one then!

Thanks
Old September 10, 2003, 16:04   #79
JamesJKirk
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 23:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Bucharest was important, because it blocked Russia from striking at Constantinople. Austria forced Russia to recognize Romanian independence during the Crimean war, and adding an independent buffer between Russia and the Balkans was definitely in Austria's interest.

That's my two cents. The Americans are too powerful, so you probably shouldn't give them more cities. But another African city could be cool, though I don't have any suggestions
Old September 10, 2003, 20:43   #80
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

Wait,
You mean the cities Bucharest and Sofia or their respective countries?

In any case i would reccomend oppening an encyclopaedia, it would offer much more info than a short post at Apolyton.
Old September 11, 2003, 07:45   #81
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 17:47
Re: LOL!
Quote:
Nick, I would take your advice and do it, cuz frankly, after you telling me about Canberra's late origins, I can't help but think of it as a giant sheeping station now.
There's a rather risque statue in the middle of Canberra commemerating Canberra's past as a sheep stud. Japanese tourists love getting their photos taken with it, and parents have to chase thier kids away from it to stop them being corrupted

Quote:
But it is too much trouble to start lifting cities and planting other ones now.
Killing cities is easy: move the cursor onto it and then hit shift+D twice.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old September 11, 2003, 07:58   #82
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

Re: Re: LOL!
Quote:
Originally posted by Case
Killing cities is easy: move the cursor onto it and then hit shift+D twice.

And all this time i reduced them to size 1 and had another civ capture them!
Old September 11, 2003, 15:28   #83
N35t0r
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversDiplomacyScenario League / Civ2-CreationPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPSPB Team EspañolC4WDG Spamyard TeamBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 04:47
you need to have the cheat mode active, and it is ctrl + shift + D and shift + D (if there is more than one unit)

Progressive Game ID #0023
Old September 12, 2003, 09:02   #84
Eivind IV
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Exile:
I've always wondered how you managed to make trade so lucrative? For instance when you trade Gold with New York from some European city you get up to 2000 gold. What's the formula?

The best scenario out there BTW

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!
Old September 12, 2003, 15:27   #85
Exile
King

TOP SECRET . . .
The formula will have to remain my secret.

Thanks. If you like it now, you'll appreciate the new version.

The new cities are Tirane and Bucharest. I wanted to make the Balkan region much more contentious. The addition of these two cities should do just that, especially in mp games.

Tampa and Canberra are gone. Canberra for reasons mentioned by Nick above, lol, and Tampa because I thought it created a sort of artificial "canal" across florida that didn't exist. Alexandria has been moved 1 square upward and to the left. I thought that this positioning was both more accurate and gave Alexandria and Cairo a little more room.

Lots of little terrain touch-ups just to suit my tastes.

One more little problem has appeared though. Nick, can you email or pm me? The problem I've got now is that the names of the three newly-placed cities don't appear on the Player maps at start. The cities are visible, but the names aren't. Does this have something to do with that "no special view?"

Other than that, a few more unit graphics are due, and some more spot testing to make sure everything works. Maybe next week. lol.
Old September 13, 2003, 23:45   #86
klesh
King

Re: TOP SECRET . . .
Quote:
The problem I've got now is that the names of the three newly-placed cities don't appear on the Player maps at start. The cities are visible, but the names aren't. Does this have something to do with that "no special view?"
Those player's "haven't seen" those cities yet, you need to cheat-place a unit of each civ in view of the3 new cities (use a unit with see-2 ability). I am almost certain this will fix the name issue.
Old September 14, 2003, 08:05   #87
Arthedain
staff

hey, why just not reveale the map again? works for me..
Old September 15, 2003, 23:21   #88
Exile
King

Almost there . . . .
Problem fixed. And no more spotted. I'm waiting for the final gif from fairline and I'll zip it and shoot it.

Darius, here's what I've done about the tech paradigm; I won't set it higher than 10. Everyone I've communicated with about this issue says if I take it over 10 there are no guarantees. I simply won't put out a scenario that contains that much uncertainty about whether or not it'll function. What I discovered, however, was that the setting within the scen file itself supercedes the rules.txt file. Because of this, there's no point including an alternate Rules.txt file with a higher paradigm--it wouldn't matter. The scen setting won't change. Inside the scen, it was set on 8. It is now reset to 10. Better than nothing, but not the boost to the paradigm you were looking for.

Last edited by Exile; September 15, 2003 at 23:27.
Old September 16, 2003, 14:12   #89
fairline
King

Re: Yep.
Quote:
...Wouldn't bother me too much what the AI does--they bribe units even without spy/dip units.
Is that a function of having a normal unit occupy the vanilla civ spy/diplomat slots, or can it be any unit slot that the AI uses as impromptu diplos?

BTW, I've e-mailed the final gif
Old September 16, 2003, 14:20   #90
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Any AI unit can bribe.
And in the normal game too, I once had a unit bribed by an enemy elephant!