Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 24, 2003, 20:29   #1
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Our world 1180AD: Bye Bye Romans
in short: The Romans got their rear-ends kicked into oblivion. We stole Democracy and Gunpowder from the Americans(which are now a thread thx to Leo's). The Americans have become a monarchy.

Some sidenotes to future presidents:
Be very carefull with the Xin-cities don't forget to unxin them at the right moment(maybe some ppl will not appreciate this but I confess: I try to save at the end of every turn to undo the effect if I forget one(or more cities) Impeach me if you want, but there is no other way not to forget them(we would have lost all our Xin abilities by now if I hadn't done so), the effect on the AI is normally zero, they kill the units they are about to kill)

secundoalso for the Cityplanners) think long befor you ask to remove a unit, we need a temple and 3 units to keep an average size3 city from going into disorder.(so If you see an obsolete unit ask yourself what would happen if it wasn't there, it might be of no use defending,but it might keep a city from going into disorder.

after all this confessing and notes for the future...here we go

History 960-->
-------------- ---- -

960AD rush Library in Devastation and leave it 1 more turn to grow to Size 6 then start Xinning

980AD: Germans did act of espionage at Ore( don’t know yet if we are at war since the pop-up screen just closed for no reason??... we are still at peace)… I knew there was a reason why I kept the Warrior in Enron. I disbanded it (as ordered by our SMC to build the Knight faster) 1 drawback between xinturns we now NEED an elvis to keep the ppl happy, instead of a taxmen or scientist…The Phalanx at Newton and Warrior at Pax are luckily still in place (would have been the same prob)
The American Crusader near Havoc went away, and the one near Rack got his buttocks of our wheat plain. Rack is now building a settler to go irrigate the north pond so Rack and Ruin will get more food ( thx Cavebear)
New Apocalyps started a temple(the only way to get past the black face(2 pikes don’t do the trick)
Found wandering Nomads willing to Join
Rushed Temple at Kahun(only way we can start using the city)
Got Cease Fire with Romans(and discovered Neapolis and Pompei)

1000AD: Zulus start King Richards, Americans sneackattack us, archer kills our trapped chariot, crusader near Ruin gives a horse-steack-buffet at Ruin , Devastation becomes Size 6 and is a nice Xinncity giving us 27 beakers(thanks to library), Discover Roman city of Viroconium.50G from hut, our legion killed the treacherous archers who so cowardly murdered their friends in the chariots.

1020AD: espionage by Zulu’s...euhm I don’t get any mention of techtheft(I’m used to play 2.42, there you get a message informing of techtheft, is this also the case in MGE?)

1040AD: Greek catapult comes to Dominion and tries to extort the major...he laughs and send out the chariots to burn the catapult. Bombay(American Build King Richards) Discovered Washington. Our Diplomat near Bombay steals the Knowledge of “Democracy”

1060AD: an American chariot becomes steak when it runs into the pikes of Ore.
An other chariot kills one of our Crusaders near Kahun
And yes the Romans broke the cease-fire killing a crusader.=> retribution: killed Legion and warrior,emptied Pompei(=> they will rush a warrior wich will kill the present crusader...sigh),killed an American crusader near Antium(he ignored the sign saying “Don’t step on the Grass!!!”)Killed the chariot near Kahun(I fear for the Crusader, Rushed a pikemen in Kahun.

1080AD: It feels like this computer wants to get me killed, it shuts the pop-up-messages of at will.
Ok : Americans got Gunpowder(I will steal it asap, because now we are in deep ****: they have Leo’s=> an army of guns), Barb uprise near New Apocalyps(2 elephants and 150G on little feet). The Romans build a warrior and it died trying to kill the Cruc whieeeeeee
We conquer Pompei(it just grew to size 2) 29Gsize1 unhappy city no improvements. Take out Legion and warrior which were send in for protection, and told their diplomat he could bugg of with the cease-fire I want to take on Ravenna, but a german Elephant is blocking my way…argh... they refuse to move it out.
The Dominion Diplo just steps next to a Greek Crusader, bye bye

1100AD: The diplo of dominion(the sitting duck) got killed, Killed American Crusader stepping on the grass near Cumae, Destroy Ravenna plundering 13G, and killed the Roman settler begging for his life , one our legions stumbles into Halicarnassus(Greek)(and will probably get killed next turn, tried to talk to them…no way)

1120AD: The legion near Halicarnassus got killed, we have a native unrest near desolation(2 ele+150G on little feet). Bought Viroconium from the Romans for a mere 59G, I got 15G back +Size1 city with a phalanx) Stole Gunpowder from the Americans, all barracks got soled and we got 400G) Bought some nice city-walls for Kahun, and renamed the city of Kahun to Styx(being on a river that will get a lot of Americans killed ) While on my Xinn-round I find a naughty Greek Knight near Imperialis... so I send out the Crusader to give it the proper spanking.

1140AD: started researching Metallurgy(~60% done), Romans killed an other warrior on one our units, get embassy with Romans: they have 2 cities left: Neapolis(soon to be ours) and Lugundum), Conquered Neapolis(42Gsize1 city)Killed Greek crusader near Dominion(the glacier is something we should nurture(and not try to cross with our units,anything crossing it gets killed), I send an emissary to the Americans, they ask me to give them 500G, let there be war. But there is good news: Their govt collapsed and became a monarchy(bribingtime!!!)

1160AD: It’s official: Americans are a Monarchy, The new archer of New Apocalyps barely survived killing the Greek catapult placed next to the city, got a NONE Musketman near Bombay, Discover Lugundum, Romans ask to negotiate, I agree but they won’t pay so I let the knight kill all of them. THE ROMAN CIVILIZATION HAS BEEN ANNIHILATED
Antium finished our first home grown musketman

1180AD: killed Greek Knight near Imperialis,Killed elephant near Desolation(I’ll leave the rest of the turn unfinished, the above were things I had to do, no possibility of forgetting)

screens will come later (it's now 2h30 am), saves have been send(so a minister could post them if he wants/has time) reports are expected so I can play 29th August, RL will make it hard to post untill that date, but that night I have all the time needed to play and post, when the poll ends your reports should be send, it's an easy timer )

Shade
Old August 24, 2003, 20:31   #2
shade
King

our powergraph
only screenshot for now
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	power1160ad.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	51919  
Old August 24, 2003, 21:11   #3
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:47
Impeachment? Are you mad?! I have done far dodgier things without telling people in the SPDG and I am regarded one of the top Presidents of all time there!

Although it would be nice if we made sure we compiled a little list of things to remember for those not quite so familiar with advanced little tricks like Xinning as you have started above.

So far:
  • sell Barracks the turn before getting Gunpowder (future games) or, um, is it Combustion?
  • remember to not let Xinning cities lose pop (perhaps a list of cities and the dates they need o switch back to growth would be good for future Presidents/CPs?)
  • somehow get a list of the cities and they amount of happy-face producing things they need to stay content

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 25, 2003, 01:37   #4
rjmatsleepers
King

Local Time: 07:47
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
[[*]remember to not let Xinning cities lose pop (perhaps a list of cities and the dates they need o switch back to growth would be good for future Presidents/CPs?)
I use the message "xxx" is running short of food to switch to the city screen and adjust it back to add something to the food box - it works for me.

RJM at Sleepers
Old August 25, 2003, 01:44   #5
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 02:47
Democracy and Gunpowder, two very important advances for our future, good to hear!

Also good to hear the Romans are no more, I am curious to see if we are now joined by either the Russians or the Celts.

All in all, sounds like a productive round.

How come you didn't yet rename the Roman cities (and Buffalo for that matter)?

/me citizen of the Imperium
Old August 25, 2003, 02:40   #6
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Why don't we Xin for cash and attempt to bribe most of the American cities since they are currently a Monarchy? Having an American base deep inside their territory will greatly aid our courageous crusaders.
Old August 25, 2003, 06:19   #7
shade
King

Quote:
sell Barracks the turn before getting Gunpowder (future games) or, um, is it Combustion?
does this give a higher profit? (I don't know)

Quote:
I use the message "xxx" is running short of food to switch to the city screen and adjust it back to add something to the food box - it works for me.
I do so too,but at the same time I'm playing I'm writing the history summary.(And I have the impression this computer just shuts down pop-up messages when it thinks I wait to long, so it could be I missed one,or I set one back to Xinning when I shouldn't have)
we have at this time I think 10 cities Xinning.

Quote:
How come you didn't yet rename the Roman cities (and Buffalo for that matter)?
To keep it all clear to everyone, If I just start renaming a dozen cities in the middle of a session no-one will know which city I'm talking about, so this is the first thing I will do next session.

AFAIK the white civ didn't respawn yet

Quote:
Why don't we Xin for cash and attempt to bribe most of the American cities since they are currently a Monarchy?
note the moment they became monarchy(1160AD?)
next session we might want to send diplo's to bombay and the airea(cheapest cities)

I suggest our VP(hydey does the screenshots)

and to our SMC: there are 2 ppl opposing me...can they be tortured ?

Shade
Old August 25, 2003, 06:34   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:47
Quote:
Originally posted by shade

does this give a higher profit? (I don't know)
Well the versions of Civ2 I played had, as far as I can remember, Barracks that disappeared when you got Gunpowder and whatever the second tech was (Combustion?), so you had to sell them if you wanted the cash.

Perhaps MGE sells them instead of making them disappear - I don't know, except here I've only ever played up to FW. My copy of MGE is the CivFanatics "patch" to what was a perfectfully respectable game.

Is this the case, is my memory mistaken or is there another option (possibly involving bananas, as all third options should)?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 25, 2003, 09:48   #9
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Seems that confession is good for the soul, eh Mr President?
My judgment: You are doing what is necessary to carry out the wishes of the ppl. No problem.

So we have Democracy and Gunpowder, and are currently studying Metallurgy?

Great acquisitions!!

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old August 25, 2003, 17:13   #10
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 09:47
Quote:
Some sidenotes to future presidents:
Be very carefull with the Xin-cities don't forget to unxin them at the right moment(maybe some ppl will not appreciate this but I confess: I try to save at the end of every turn to undo the effect if I forget one(or more cities) Impeach me if you want, but there is no other way not to forget them(we would have lost all our Xin abilities by now if I hadn't done so), the effect on the AI is normally zero, they kill the units they are about to kill)

Our president openly admits he's cheating?
I apreciate his honesty but think this is out of line.

If you end turn you end turn, simple as that.
Old August 25, 2003, 17:47   #11
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Well the versions of Civ2 I played had, as far as I can remember, Barracks that disappeared when you got Gunpowder and whatever the second tech was (Combustion?), so you had to sell them if you wanted the cash.

Perhaps MGE sells them instead of making them disappear - I don't know, except here I've only ever played up to FW. My copy of MGE is the CivFanatics "patch" to what was a perfectfully respectable game.

Is this the case, is my memory mistaken or is there another option (possibly involving bananas, as all third options should)?
Don't worry they were solled (>400G)

@atawa: I know, but I think more ppl would be interested in killing me if I told them at the end of each session woeps ppl I screwed up and we only have 1 Xincity left again... ow sorry I missed, we have none left .

Shade
Old August 25, 2003, 18:05   #12
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by shade
@atawa: I know, but I think more ppl would be interested in killing me if I told them at the end of each session woeps ppl I screwed up and we only have 1 Xincity left again... ow sorry I missed, we have none left .

Shade
True, but that can always be repaired. This however cant
Old August 25, 2003, 18:59   #13
cavebear
Emperor

I voted not to impeach, but I share atawa's concern. We shouldn't go back a turn; errors and oversights are part of the game, and I don't expect anyone to be perfect. When something goes wrong, you just wince and go on.

Still, this xinning business seems almost an administrative matter. It's not like shade went back because he didn't like he outcome of a battle or discovered he should have changed a city construction from a marketplace to city walls because of some unexpected attack.

He told us what he did, and he didn't have to. No one would have known, and indeed it (the xinning) was an action we agreed to and expected. It was an uncertain thing and he made his choice. But at least we should agree not to do this again. If we suffer the consequences for trying something tricky and complex again, we should accept it.

Let's just leave it at "Let's not do that again".

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old August 26, 2003, 04:46   #14
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:47
I have also voted not to impeach Shade.

I understand that what he has done was wrong as I'm sure Shade does as well but his reasons were not to try and cheat the game but to protect from his failing to propperly miromanage our civ before moving the game on a turn.

I must agree with Cavebear and say "Let's just leave it at "Let's not do that again"".

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old August 26, 2003, 06:19   #15
shade
King

got the save Hydey?(up to posting some screens?)
Old August 26, 2003, 16:54   #16
atawa
King

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
Let's just leave it at "Let's not do that again".

Sounds fair
Old August 27, 2003, 00:07   #17
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Hmmm, not a good week for the Democracy game...

Let's summarize......our City Planner is unable to continue due to real life, unavoidable and not his fault

Our Foreign Minister is unavailable and having internet connection problems, unavoidable and not his fault.

Our Vice President is unavailable due to a busy month, not his fault and he knew in advance and didn't run for a position as a result.

Our President, who has played his turns as regularly as possible under the circumstances, is unable to post screen shots which are badly needed by the citizens to have any idea how the game is going.

This is one citizen looking forward to elections, and while I don't criticize anyone for being unable to play the game, I hope we have more luck next month, when holidays end for many people (and I too was on holidays this month, and unable to post). At a minimum I would like to see one poll per minister at least after every round of turns and screen shots after every round as well.

/me not criticizing anyone, but hoping that we are able to improve participation next month

Lurkers, please post in the election nominations thread, the democracy game lives on the participation of more members then we currently have.