Old August 27, 2003, 19:40   #31
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 02:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I think placing cities at the same distances when possible is a great idea. Of course changes in terrain will force you to break the pattern in some areas, but in general it seems like a good idea.

Sell your photos
Old August 27, 2003, 19:44   #32
badams52
King

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
An exploit the ring system might be, but I couldn't imagine not using the ring system when playing MP. From what I can tell, the difference is just that dramatic.

Just glancinc at Alexman's example there, imagine having 6 cities at distance level 2 concerning corruption! Sure, the second city doesn't get any benefit, but the 7th city has it's corruption reduced by more than half according to my quick and dirty calculations on alexman's corruption caltulator. So if it normally would waste 6 shields and 6 trade, it would now be cut down to wasting less than 3 each.

The second ring might not be as dramatic, but imagine your 12th city having the same corruption as your normal city that's 8th away. Then think of having this advantage not only at your palace, but at your FP as well.

Then you're first ring at both sites still makes all those cities at the closest city distance. Imagine adding another 6 cities (to the 6 he already has) to become at the closest city distance. You've then taken your city that's in actuality 14th farthest away and make it act like it's the closest. Now the corruption for that specific city dropped corruption from ~38% to ~4% if you have a courthouse that is (I'm not fully sure on those calculations cause it's been a while since I used the calculator and don't know whether there would actually be 0,1, or 2 cities counted as "closer" to the capital. Don't know if I have to include the FP city and/or the capital city or not. The calculations above considers not including the FP or Capital city and are based on Monarch level of play on a standard size map with a republic government).
Old August 28, 2003, 15:41   #33
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 03:48
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I've been using RCP mostly on my first ring of cities, and then Ralphing or just 3/4-tiling outside of that, until I get to where I am going to want my FP, and then that gets an RCP ring too.

It's frightening how much more productive it is for the core cities.

I do find, however, that certain of my not-so-distant cities are more corrupt than I'd expect, to the point where all they are really good for is food power.

But to anwser the question originally proposed, I'd still say stick to 3/4-tile placement, adjusting for terrain.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 30, 2003, 06:31   #34
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 16:48
I like to not over crowd my city spaces with those of other cities if possible... I find that this really helps them to grow and really hoot along after a few thousand years.....