Old August 25, 2003, 01:02   #1
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 02:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Turns 2131 through 2140
I just started this thread for Cap'n Hercules' benefit as I believe he may still be unable to start new threads due to a shy computer and we have run over the years specified in the thread we have been using.
Old August 25, 2003, 20:39   #2
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 08:48
Thank ye Cuspidore for the new thread.

Methinks ( well more me hear's what the maties are saying out there in the alleyways behind 'OMalleys Tavern) that we be reaching a certain size, that we do need a more proper build manifest drawn up by ye's all with discussion and that. Cuspidore's doing a fine job but that dirk's with note attached is getting quite close to me throat.

Rightly there's call for some defensive probes so I (and I presume my successors) might find it handy to consult a file when playing the turn, as to when to insert them and other units or facilties after stockpile energy. In ye olde days we just used a build queue but not in these days of 'just in time' pirating.

Like the new Col Pod from Liar's Lair. Where's best from the sites identfied, especially now we can hope to produce some crawlers.
Old August 26, 2003, 21:26   #3
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

I see poly is back up so am going to check Cuspidore's build suggestions. In the meantime here's some comment to date.

Tripoli
Supply Crawler, not rushing but may spend enough ecs? to complete in 2 rather than 3 turns, but might consider switching worker to Nut special tile to increase pop to 3 one turn earlier without effecting build, but of course at slight loss of energy.
Rita,
Going to check Cuspidore's suggestion, depends whether we intend to pick up former on way to Tripoli for crawler and maybe leave former in that area or pick up former on way back for depositing near 56, 49/50 area.
Sea Lurk
Blasted murdering worm. we'll get ya.. Staying with sea colony pod with view to building base over near 1st identified sea site near Seven Islet
Liar's Lair
Put Rec Com in here which should be ready when pop grows and that SF does some work on that min special.
Boot
Changed to Energy Grid in case we decide to pop pod
Alexandria
SF doing nicely.

PMS Col Santiagi Still no new faction. Crew suffering a bit from scurvy, spirits good though.
PMS King Lear Has three moves left this turn so is it N.NW or E. If I don't hear back I 'll go NW
PMS Revenge Dropping the line every few yards the schooner edged backwards from the cove to catch sight of a University former on land. The crew waved a friendly greeting and sent over a keg of fine xenorum. They noticed on their
left a strange red land form through the sea mist and wondered was this the setting for the fabled 'Ruins'. Certainly they'd heard tales of such a place and its strange formidable 'Stonehenge like' appearance but then the sea mist got thicker.
PMS Farragut The crew sent a signal to Cuspidore BB thanking him for rcommending their break for R&R. Most rowed ashore hoping to further relations with local natives and with gifts of xenorum.
PMS Booty Boat Moored outside Lair's Lair collected colonisation party and set of for new land. Question is which.
Unless hear otherwise the site on Bull Island seems the best option ( seeing that the SCP is destined for near Seven Islet.
The boot boat has 1 turn left but with the view of coming close to shore via 47.59. This would enable the Booty boat to get back to the Tripoli /Rita area to assist with transport duties.

PMS Depth of Sea lurk? ( must check name) en route to Tripoli to pick up crawler ( 2 turns) and then after dropping crawler on mine head back to pick up former from Rita. But not sure if I should rush former at Rita first set on land. Allowing PB
build next or wait until the way back.

PMS Party Boat (I haven't got its name in front of me) un covered more of the south seas or rather south land. Note however that Miriam is reported to have the largest territory so that large black expanse is most likely shared between Her and the Borg. Note the edge of the Unity Salvage Area just visible.

Oh and the Drones have built the WP.

And we have had response from Drogue re their researching Doc: Flex but I 'll let Flubber handle the negiations. I 'll forward his reponse.

Cusp was right the Borgs don't have infilration on Roze so all just a coincidence?

All for the moment. If you could comment by 12.00 GMT on the 27th it would be appreciated.

Last edited by Hercules; August 26, 2003 at 21:35.
Old August 27, 2003, 11:26   #4
Hercules
Deity

Turn completed no major happenings except change to Wealth, which seems to have improved production and I think our tech progress by one year.
Old August 30, 2003, 22:28   #5
Hercules
Deity

Hi Maties,

Well the turn 2132, went surprisingly fast as most of the units and bases are busy doing something so the mid turn is, I suspect
very like the end turn.

First, our expeditionary PMS ships discovered no new factions, but again we are beside some pods. More below.

Base report

Tripoli: rushed Supply Crawler ( looking for name suggestions, cargo?)
Alexandria: producing SF but looking to rush, not just because its useful but to place something expensive in the Q for the
pod pop by the PB Tigershark.
HMB: slowly producing former but see Liitle Accident.
'Rita: transport in Q. Can change if any compelling argument for PB at this juncture.
Sea Lurk: producing Sea Colony still some turns to go. What are views on it going to Seabase site 2 rather than near
Treasure Island at 49, 65. At bit longer to reach but richer in non competing resources,
Liar's Lair: producing Col Pod due same time as new pop boost.
Little Accident: New base on (Henry) Morgan Boot Island. Rover popped pod 1 and got cloned rover. Cloned rover (
independent) popped pod 2, to find monolith. And status increased to hardened as first rover started out with disciplined
from Command centre at HMB. Propose move this rover next turn to HMB in preparation for transport and exploration
without FM penalty.

Bull Island: new colony ready to start at Bull Island ( name suggestions welcome). Next turn a temp build proposal ( for
the pod pop) will be in Q. But what after; I presume the scout.
oh and the former there, what next?

Expeditionary ships
PMS Col Santiago: continued north but NO new faction sighted. Plans now to travel right
(East). But first will pop pod. Likely recipient (if build goody) the new base on Bull Island.
PMS Revenge: passed close to PUT base. Crew ferried ashore Keg of Xenorum for PUT treaty mates.
PMS Farragut recommenced exploration in a north Easterly direction, revealing more of unexplored unsettled territory. Of
our expeditionary ships, the PMS Farragut ( independent) is our only ship immune to the FM penalty, as I understand it.
PMS King Lear: Explored further north , looking for Unity faction survivors. They have found companionship in short radio
transmissions with mates on the Santiago, but no new factions.
PMS Tiger shark (Party Boat) in the Southern Ocean, apart from discovering sizeable Cycon territory land mass, possibly
also discover pod. Will pop next turn but note PB is land side to pod so may choose to move west if IOD.

Have not contacted Roze or Miriam this turn to avoid irritation factor.

Because of earlier recommendations, there is little to decide upon this turn.

We are 5 turns from Doc: Init and a lot of our bases and formers complete their tasks within this period or towards the end
of it.

Views.

You may have noted PUT took ages to play ( just over 48 hours) but Cycon took, what, 40 minutes wow.
Old August 31, 2003, 09:53   #6
Hercules
Deity

Nothing much further to add. DataRoze has two synthmetal garrison units in production and has two bases building the Merchant Exchange. Hopefully she will build something, then that would be a nice prize bonus when we invade and conquer.

As we know, she has Applied Physics. She is researching Cent Ecol. Maybe she would trade at some stage. Applied Physics for Cent Ecol.
Old August 31, 2003, 10:34   #7
Hercules
Deity

I wish to take this opportunity to sort out some short term matters.

Where to set up our next land and sea bases. There seems to be two views.

1 To build it on the one tile isle at 42, 52 or on the land north of Sea Lurk, next to the pod at 51, 59?

2 If the land base is established at 42, 52 then there are two choices for the Sea colony pod. To build base at 49,65 next to Treasure Islet or to travel further south to sea base site two.

3 If the land base choice is to be on the as yet unnamed land north of Sea Lurk, then the Sea Colony would head to 42,54. A handy base for launching part boats. (As would be the base at 42,52).

4 I think we should build something in the 42,52/54 area but which.

Also as Cuspidore BB mentioned, as we expand we will soon hit the inefficiency first citizen drone thing.

Within the next five turns I think we will meet the remaining factions. At which point, we'll bring our expeditionary fleet back to our territory via as many pods as we can pop. I propose we ask the crew of PMS Farragut (independent) to continue their voyage of exploration.

(We also have a new independent rover ( hardened) for exploration).

Once back in home waters we can think about switching to FM and maybe Ethical Calc (Democracy) will be on the horizon as one of the techs we are owed.

On the Applied Physics issue, I just remembered that Cap'n Flubber thinks we could get it from the Hive reasonably easy.
Old September 4, 2003, 07:57   #8
Hercules
Deity

Hi maties

Big disappointment and potential loss.
First Shipping news.

Neither of the two pods popped delivered any goodies and the Santiago
popped an IOD unfortunately and in moving to escape, the route is
blocked by a small island , that wasn't visible when the ship moved to
the tile its now in. The IOD is right beside the Santiago which has a
very green rating. So the despondent captain and crew fear the worse.
But more than that, even if it survives, it will need to rest. So new
faction hunting by the PMS Santiago is delayed or ended.

The party boat Tiger shark popped kelp and went on to reveal more of
that area. We would expect to find a Believers base next turn.

The King Lear uncovered more land mass but has a possible cove dead end
/ narrow passage option to investigate next turn.

The PMS Revenge moved on further north and may now be our best hope of
finding the Drones or the Hive.

PMS Farragut revealed more map and has ended beside pod for next turn. (
hopefully better luck) Which base will benefit Alexandria?

PMS Bootycheck. Has arrived back and currently anchored outside Liar's
Lair with one mp left. Should it wait for new Col Pod or go collect
rover from Boot.
PMS Belly, some mp heading back to 'Rita.

New base found at Pamplona on Bull island. Scout in production.
Decision on IF. Build sensor or move to 46,56 to forest that rich tile.

Bases

Tripoli: crawler transported to Mine. what to build next? an SP, another
crawler, a new PMS?
Rita: continues with Transport Foil
Sea Lurk: continues Sea Colony pod
Liar's Lair: continues Col Pod
HMB: continues InfFormer ( could rush)
L'l Accident: continues Supply crawler
Pamplona: scout, next PMS ,PB?
Alexandria: after temp for pod, Rec Com, PMs, PB

Overall disappointing turn.

Views, comments, what 12 hours from now? Do you want me to try
communicating with Miriam or Roze oir leave it one more turn.

Cap'n Calico Hercules
Old September 4, 2003, 18:25   #9
johndmuller
King

Maties,
Sorry for the incommunicado recently - had some problems getting connected while I was in NY and am consequently out of touch with what is going on here.

Suggest that Captain of the Santiago walk the plank - somewhat difficult to follow the excuse for ending up next to the IoD he was supposedly (and cowardly) running from, but a good 'visit' with the sharks could (re)establish his credentials with some luck.

Don't know that I'll have time to see the turn and make any intelligent comments before the deadline, but here are a couple of quickies:

Tripoli:
- A facility might be nice - particularly an EnergyBank, as we seem to be running low on cash and not getting any from pods, or maybe an additional Command Center (particularly) for making probes;
- It would be nice to wait to get some weapons/armor tech before building another warship to replace the likely loss of Santiago, but if you do, perhaps it could scout out the area just NW of Sealurk for possible sites for the SeaColony pod (see below);
- It would be nice to build them at a base with a Command Center, but we do need cheap (Infantry) probes for espionage defense purposes.

-Colonies - I still like putting the land colony up there in the NW (42,52) and the SeaColony at (49,65) or thereabouts unless some better site reveals itself (like in the unexplored areas just north and west of Sealurk).

-Seems like Rita's own transport will be ready about as soon as you can get the other one there - no?

-Alexandria - Maybe a Land Colony for (54,78) or (55,75) - that would be an alternate use for the BootyBoat at Tripoli;

-I'd put a Land Former on the list for Pamplona (one of them to develop the other island for the new base to be at (42,52)

I'll be more back into things by the next turn.
Old September 4, 2003, 21:31   #10
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

reposting my email here - I and BB seem tot be on similar lines of thought about Tripoli

Quote:

> Neither of the two pods popped delivered any goodies and the Santiago
> popped an IOD unfortunately and in moving to escape, the route is
> blocked by a small island , that wasn't visible when the ship moved to
> the tile its now in. The IOD is right beside the Santiago which has a
> very green rating. So the despondent captain and crew fear the worse.
> But more than that, even if it survives, it will need to rest. So new
> faction hunting by the PMS Santiago is delayed or ended.

Stupid planet >_< rrr.

> PMS Farragut revealed more map and has ended beside pod for next turn. (
> hopefully better luck) Which base will benefit Alexandria?
I checked by re selecting the Farragut and aiming the navigation around; it
showed 30 to Alex, but only 22 to both Little Accident and the Boot (bearing
in mind that's as the crow flies)

> PMS Bootycheck. Has arrived back and currently anchored outside Liar's
> Lair with one mp left. Should it wait for new Col Pod or go collect
> rover from Boot.

> New base found at Pamplona on Bull island. Scout in production.
> Decision on IF. Build sensor or move to 46,56 to forest that rich tile.

> Bases
>
> Tripoli: crawler transported to Mine. what to build next? an SP, another
> crawler, a new PMS?

Tripoli - I'm thinking this : another land crawler for the energy special
just between the base radii of Alex, Rita and Tripoli and have the former
nearby follow up with a solar panel & road, that will boost Tripoli's energy
which leads to my next quese suggestion of a energy bank. Then perhaps a
node and/or the VW (room for a replacement for the Santiago should we lose
her before the bank) I know the merchant exchange is only 17 turns, but
wouldn't it be better in propsed sea site #2 (unless you want to try and
make a SSC out of Tripoli?)

> HMB: continues InfFormer ( could rush)
> L'l Accident: continues Supply crawler
Maybe you should, to clear the queue in case the above pod pop rushes at
Boot?

> Pamplona: scout, next PMS ,PB?
PMS to perhaps pop the pod over close to Roze's lands and map her side of
the Banana Sea since the Farragut wil be headed N

> Views, comments, what 12 hours from now? Do you want me to try
> communicating with Miriam or Roze oir leave it one more turn.

Leave em another I tihnk

All I have for now
Old September 8, 2003, 04:25   #11
johndmuller
King

2134 turn
------
We seem to have lucked out with the Santiago up north; now if we only knew where the others were.

I think that getting Creches in the homeports of our military units could undo one level worth of the their morale hit due to Wealth - seems like in the case of us Buc's, and our fine appreciation of the many ways to enjoy spending money (for example, the classic trio of wine, women and song) and our propensity for getting into brawls after enjoying those fruits of wealth, our fighting morale should improve due to wealth rather than decline - we must protest to GooglieGod.

Cap'n Herc, the reason I suggested a Colony pod for Alexandria was that our population growth there is going to force us to use a Doctor in just a couple of turns (and you have a record of forgetting to anticipate their need, causing drone riots); if you build the Colony Pod, then there will be some time to build (or nearly build anyway) a RecComm before the next population crunch comes. There's still time to switch, at a modest cost of only 1 PofE (which will be deducted from your grog allowance), although I notice you also disregarded my suggestion to keep the Belly of the Sealurk down south and seem to be moving it up north despite the imminent completion of the new BootyBoat at 'Rita., so you will need to either rush the boat at 'Rita or reverse course on the existing one to get something to Alexandria in something resembling a timely fashion to avoid wasting time waiting for it so that the CP can move off the dock.

In general, I think it is better to be building ships and/or infrastructure at Sealurk and the Colonies at Alexandria, rather than the opposite, although once we get some more terraforming at Alex, it will also be a productive base (then we could be producing good stuff there and more colonies at the new base we build before the RecComm and Party Boat.

We will probably soon start getting b-drones in our existing bases when we add bases and/or having the initial worker start out as a drone in the new bases; there is possiblly a way to know exactly which bases will get them (I think 'Ned' had a detailed analysis of that somewhere), but since we probably don't know it, we should try to be prepared with RecComms in nearly all the bases we wish to be greater than size 1 (which I would think would be all of them). Otherwise, we will have to crawl extra food to feed the &%^in' doctors and possibly have rather stagnant base operations due to shortages of workers.

For (Henry) Morgans Boot, I would suggest using the former to plant forests all along the river (preferably starting with (38,68) where a road would also be a good idea). I would build a crawler or 2 there next to bring in some mins from the forests and/or nuts from (42,66), followed by a Probe or 2 and a RecComm whenever it seems necessary. Liar's SeaFormer should probably make a kelp/solar someplace like (42,68) when it gets a chance before during or after dealing with the terraforming at the min special it's currently working on.

At ($#$@in' Stupid) Accident, it might be wise to crawl food with the soon-to-be-completed crawler from (35,69), where you might want to make a farm as the next terraforming feat with the wandering terraformer (by all means feel free to move there directly instead of the long way, although at some (preferably later) point we should rehome that former here). BTW, Weren't we going to rehome the rover so we could save HMB some money?

I still like the idea of building a Former at Pamplona, it or the existing one to be taken up to 7 islet to begin terraforming there; I could see a crawler too, but it is going to take forever to build (as in Accident). Now, while we are between builds and with no drone control needed, would be a good time to temporarily change the build to something nice to get (like a Pressure Dome), and then pop the pod next door at (47,57) - (perhaps getting a monolith if we are lucky, or at least some other 'good' pop). I'm not sure what you are planning to do with the BootyCheck, but if you load up the rover from HMB (which I would recommend that you leave on the island), there will not be room for both the CP and the Former on the boat together. In the interests of efficiency, you should try to have the boat close by Liars when the CP is ready - if you must take the rover somewhere, you can move the rover rather than sailing to JMB to pick it up.

For the record, given the choices we seem to have at the moment, I still like putting the land colony from Liars up there in the NW (42,52) and the SeaColony from Sealurk at (49,65) or thereabouts; if you've got another plan, how about sharing it in advance.

Don't know if there is anything worth rushing this turn, although throwing a few credits at Tripoli's EBank would be OK - I don't know if the extra turn of terraforming is worth the 13-31 you would have to spend to rush the BootyBoat at 'Rita, so I'd probably hold off on that, although I'd be tempted to spend the dough to rush it next turn, to speed the arrival of a crawler to be built next. I assume that the former is going to Bird (Is there a story?) Island next door, someplace like (59,61) to start planting forests

I think that the pod at (5,55) is closest to Accident for whatever that's worth (that's just eyeballing it, rather than doing the calculation, but I don't see any other candidates). Accident is well on the way producing its crawler, so it wouldn't be a big score if we got the free build, but still better than waiting all that time too, so I would go ahead - maybe we'll get a big cash surprise instead or one of Googlie's mythical imaginary plethora of clones (in the name of which he docked us an otherwise real and free independent gunship).

As for all the other warships, I have no particular advice; do whatever turns you on.

Interesting that the game says that the Datajacks are in the lead overall, even though their bar graph is lowest of all.
Old September 8, 2003, 14:57   #12
Hercules
Deity

For the record in this thread

Well hello maties

What can I say. So far an excellent turn. Lots to decide, have a look.

First the PMS King Lear has just met the Hive. Hurrah ( we know it , they don't) the PMS King Lear has 1 turn left btw.

Second, PMS Santigo survived IOD attack and is now disciplined and quite strong, 4MP left. (Recommend Henry Morgan
Medal to Cap'n).What to do, retrace movement to pods or venture into the Fungus ( and eventually to Drones) or head West
towards the Hive. I suggest retrace, let PMS Revenge meet the Drones.

PB PMS Tiger Shark uncovered more of planet and calculates it will 'meet'/probes Miriam in 1 or 2 turns.

PMS Revenge left PUT territory to explore further NW. Nothing to report.

PMS Farragut is beside pod. I suggest we pop but if a free facility goody which base will benefit. Advice please. Do I have to
rush the 'Rita Transport to avoid it being built, if you know what I mean.

Also on Pamplona. Temp energy bank is that ok and scout to pop pod?

Also at L'il Accident, might it benefit from goody so need to rush crawler to avoid that.

Anyhow I haven't looked at everything closely, just excited that we've met one more faction at last.
Oh transport from Triploi has arrived close to Rita, where is that Inf Former to go?

I presume Flubber can now open dialogue with the Hive.

What a contrast to the last turn.
Old September 8, 2003, 16:05   #13
johndmuller
King

-You did notice my earlier comments on the turn, above; right? These are in addition and reflect the additional info you revealed.

-I wondered about that "disciplined and quite strong" schooner Santiago - I had it at "green" (and I would by no means say strong) in the version I openned from the Borgs - I have it as green in the version I got from you too; is it really disciplined in your version? If so, there must be something funny going on. I assume that it also is at minus 20% in whatever you are seeing. As to the medal, I still don't know how you ended up next to an IoD you were seemingly running away from, so if there is to be a medal, maybe the 'Little &*^$#in' Accident' medal instead.

-I would deal with the pods later (you've got two other boats down below that could get them while exploring stuff to the left, the Santiago would be retracing old territory. Seemingly the Drones are in between the Santiago and the Revenge, so if they go toward each other, they should meet them reasonably soon. Re the Santiago, it looks like the fungus to the South and East is probably thicker than if you go around that islet on the north side.

-Allow me to repeat my previous recommendations to put off the PartyBoat at Alex and build a Land ColonyPod instead - for (55,75) or (54,78). Allow me to repeat my thumbs-down on the redundant transports you seem to be wantint to collect at 'Rita, instead of just leaving the original one down south (at Alex to move the CP you should be building there). Strongly suggest changing the build and eating the 1 PofE it will cost you (personally). If you continue the PBoat you will have to have a doctor there for quite some time representing an avoidable *(&&%^in' waste of potential.

-Re the Tiger shark, I believe you promised us Believer contact "next turn" a couple of years ago, now it is 1 or 2 years???? Are they hitting the grog too much down there?

-As to your other questions, see my earlier post for details; the short answers are:
--I think that Accident is closest and that you shouldn't rush the crawler, the BootyBoat or anything to change builds (especially as last turn would have been the appropriate time to have done the rushing anyway - so that you wouldn't have to waste this turn sitting around);
--Recommend a PressureDome as temp build at Pamplona, but a free EBank would be OK if you insist;
--'Rita former to (59,61) for Forest (to be crawled -mins- while former Forests the rest of island - I would leave (60,62) and (59,63) for last in case you wanted to put a BH on the former and/or a condensor on the latter and/or produce them from the base instead of crawling).

If you move the King Lear out of sight of the Hive's Rover, you or Cap'n F may want to note its location and mention that to the Hive Ambassador as confirmation that we have actually met them - although they should notice that the status has changed in the commlinks anyway. Note to our diplomats: The Chairman has a reputation of being uptight about some of our more libidinous activities; please refrain from offeriing him any xenoweed or making any jokes about 'queens'; I have heard rumors, however, that they have a supply of wicked xenomead there, but I don't know if it is safe to mention that out loud.
Old September 8, 2003, 22:03   #14
Hercules
Deity

Hi Maties,

Well extra news. PMS Santiago (Green, OK the crew just got excited and 20% down) continues around north east direction. ( Crew feared to return to meet with Cuspidore). Manged to avoid getting snagged in fungus. Pod at Pamplona gave energy bank goody, Nice. PMS Farragut popped 75 ecs: welcome at this time.

Hive appear not to have ( awaiting confirmation) Ind Base, Soc Psych,
Doc: Mob, Doc: Flex, or Progen Psych nor Uni, Believers, Cycon or
Datajacks, Comm. Welcome message transmitted via Comm channel.

Most all Cuspidore's build suggestions implemented. Transport delivered Inf
former to Bird island. Plans a rookery.

Just note we have 4 other formers awaiting instructions next turn. Most
have instructions I know.

Could some of me maties post 'Pirates to Drones 2134' in the turn track
thread. Also if you have performed this duty in the past can you delete
earlier attachments.

Cap'n Calico Hercules ( relieved about PMS Col Santiago)
Old September 14, 2003, 15:49   #15
johndmuller
King

2135 turn
Didn't look at the end of the turn before, but have some (caustic) remarks now, after looking at the new turn.

Cap'n Herc, I wish you'd explain to us what you are doing sometimes. As you no doubt have noticed, I'm trying to keep you honest on the basics, like not wasting turns with formers wandering around and trying to anticipate the next couple of turns. Also, I've spent some time making constructive suggestions, which you sometimes take and sometimes don't - that's fine, but I'd appreciate knowing your reasons, like why you kept sending the transport to Rita (when we were already building one there) in the face of repeated suggestions to send it to Alexandria instead. Also, when we make long term suggestions, like the locations for the new colonies, it would be nice to know what you are thinking in advance too, so that we can either discuss the issue if you disagree or shut up if you agree. In other words, please tell us what is going on in your head?

Some of my latest gripes, to illustrate the point:
-Why the two transports at Rita when the CP at Atlantis will need one?
-What did you do to only move Liar's SeaFormer just one tile? Abandon a terraform in the middle?
-What are you going to do with Rita's Land Former? The advice was to Forest (59,61), you moved it to (59,63)?
-Any particular reason you disregarded the advice to Forest (38,68) first (where it could be produced by either base) and are Foresting (39,67) instead (probably doesn't matter, but just another example of something that could use explanation)?
-The rover you seem about to laod onto BootyCheck - what is the plan? The boat can't hold all three units (CP, Former, Rover) and rovers aren't as useful on tiny islands as on bigger ones. If you're planning a rover-transport travelling pod-popping team, we'll need another transport in the neighborhood
Old September 14, 2003, 23:49   #16
Hercules
Deity

Hi Maties,

Not a lot to report this turn so far.

I did mention we got Energy bank at Pamplona didn't I. Still no Drones
but PMS Revenge beside pod for pop next turn.
PMS Santiago about to sail round samll island in the north.
PB Shark scents Miriam base at 74,84?
PMS King Lear I am afraid is enjoying the hospitality in the Hive
waters. These pirates have not seen female company for some time and it
would appear, neither have some Hive members.
PMS Farragut might start return journey via different route or swap
missions with King Lear.

Intend to rush crawler at L'l Accident. The HMB Island is cursed I tell
you. I misread tile and sent former to 35,67 instead of 35,69.

Rover now onboard PMSBootycheck and waiting col pod next turn (intend to
rush). Will drop rover off on Bull Is, pick up former and rover can
cross Bull Is for pick up later to land mass north of Sea Lurk and via
pod on single Island tile

Btw a Sea former has just finished solar near Alexandria. There is a pod
next to it at 62,70. What do you think should we pop it with the sea
former? hoping for clone.

Former on Bird Is now moved to 59,61. Transport from Rita now en route
to Alex to collect Col Pod. to deliver to 55,75.

Roze now producing first coastal craft.

That energy bank seems to have pushed us to within one year of Doc.
Init. Borg are 8 years from their next tech.

Anyhow not a complicated turn, some rushes likely but not EB at Tripoli
(though tempting to prepare for another crawler and then SP, MCC).

Views, comments what 8 hours from now. Borg seems in a bit of a muddle
which gives us another year to forestall Doc:Flex. Hive didn't offer
Treaty, which I thought they would pending negotiations.

Re some answers to above. The Liar' sea former was en route to the tile. It has now reached it. The former on bird was enroute to 59, 61. It's there now.

HMB Island is cursed.
Old September 15, 2003, 03:52   #17
johndmuller
King

Miriam Base at (74,84)? Is your screen again showing more than mine? The base-border lines that I see are seemingly due to Aurora and Word of God. Additionally, there is a fragment visible to me on the SE side of (79,80), but not the SE side of (77,81), which suggests a base at (82,82), I think - although I sometimes screw up on those base placement deductions. If there was a base at (74,84), I think that the lines atop (74,80) would be joined by lines on the other two sides and that there would be one also on the NE of (75,81), not to mention the ones that would be on our side of the landmass including to the SE & SW of our ship. If you see all of that stuff and I don't, there must be serious differences in our program versions or something. It may turn out that the landmass that Shark is next to is another island that we may wish to settle instead of an extension of Miriam's continent.

The Revenge could still do a little extra exploring and still end up next to the pod.

"Intend to rush crawler at L'l Accident. " - I thought yesterdays new policy was that we were going to rush facilitiies rather than units? Is today's new policy to reward the glorious &*^$^#in' incompetence of the terraforming chief there by giving them extra money to build units (they'll probably use the money to research Doctrine: Deforestation with it). The idea was to have a farm at (35,69) and to crawl nuts from it to build up the population; now we'll be crawling mins from (36,68) - are we in a hurry for that? Aside from turn advantage, which seems destined to be wasted by the ^^$%^&ing &*(&&XX%@#s there, what would we be buying? Or have you plotted out the progress of a future RecComm project there and deemed it necessary?As to developing (35,67), please note that it is only elevation 10, and is thus risky business to do major work on (although it would be a good tile to BoreHole-Raise when we are controlling RozeLand if we can do it before an ecomonster starts churning out unregulated min production pollution).

Good plan for the rover (thanks for spelling it out), although we will probably need another BootyBoat for the western provinces if that one is going a viking. Fine to pop the pod on the one-tile island at (49,51), but it might be good to refrain from popping pod at (53,49) on the unnamed north of Sealurk Island until after we put a base next to it - to ensure good stuff, although that rover is reasonably tough, compared to our other mil units. BTW, it would be nice to monolith-upgrade it somewhere in its travels.

Rushing CP at Liar's is OK with me the above notwithstanding. (It costs only 2 PoE/min at the moment, just as good as a facility). Former at Bull Island is also nicely synchronized with Booty Boat schedule so that we won't have to waste any time or mp's.

Again notwithstanding the above, if you rush 2 mins at Rita for 5 PoE, that will make a carryforward of 4 to next turn, which added to the 6 we will produce next turn will get us to the 10 min level, allowing us to rush more ecomomically in subsequent turns if we are building a fac or something we want badly. I think a Crawler was supposedly next on the list there, followed perhaps by a partyboat.

Feel free to invest some PoE's at Tripoli, say 12 or 32 - to even out the row, for want of a better criterion; then we could finish it off next time if we wanted..

I asked about Liar's Seaformer, because the last I saw it - it was just 1 tile away from there and we usually get 4 tiles of movement out of a Seaformer in regular seas. Taking 2 turns to go 2 tiles seems worth a better explanation than 'being en route to the tile'. It seemed that it might have been interrupted in the middle of terraforming the original tile, and I wondered what the story was if that was the case (why stop whatever it was doing or why start terraforming and then tell it to move?).

Popping the sea pod near Alex is pretty risky as we have no military to speak of to deal with a possible MW aboard a possible IoD which would as likely head toward us as toward the Borg an MW. At least if we were popping it with a BootyBoat, there would be a lower chance of getting an IoD, but I am not suggesting that either. Eventually we will have another warship around the homeland - apply some of the patience we all use to deal with the terraforming. Suggest that we move the seaformer quietly to the tile next door at (58,70) and put a tidal harness there

Suggest you build a sensor with the former at (56,72) as it can cover both Alex and the new base you say you are putting at (55,75). After that, it would seem sensible to do Forest-Road at both (55,73) and (57,71) in whatever order - depending on where the next LandFormer was going to be built.

Energy Banks don't improve labs, so change in research prospects would have to come from something else, like terraforming or additional workers.

See no reason why we shouldn't offer the Hive a treaty - see if you can get Cap'n/Ambas'dor Flubber's OK, if he doesn't chime in, then whatever.

Plant Kelp at (55,53) then to remaining nut special @(51.55) for kelp/solar treatment.

Still suggesting Former for Pamplona; see that you are already doing it.

Remember (defensive) Infantry Probes.

Remember imminent B-Drones coming soon perhaps as early as with the next base.

Last edited by johndmuller; September 15, 2003 at 04:03.
Old September 15, 2003, 14:56   #18
Hercules
Deity

Ok Some discussion. Sea Colony Pod from Sea Lurk due for completion very soon.

Cuspidore is in favour of site near Treasure Islet and I tend to favour site identified as second sea base site, further south.

The advantages of the 49,65, is that its closer, but it would have to share limited min resources with Liar's Lair, unless it specialises: great scope for tidal harnessess though.

The advantages of the southern site is, access to NUT specials and as a gateway to opening up the southern ocean as per Cap'n Flubber's strategy. Disadvantage is it will take longer to get there; maybe an additional 2/3 turns.
Old September 15, 2003, 15:09   #19
Hercules
Deity

So these B Drones are coming soon at a base near us. What's our best strategy for dealing this. Wasn't there something recently in the general help forum.

At least with Doc:Init we get a cruiser chassis.
Old September 16, 2003, 01:06   #20
Makahlua
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG2 TabemonoACDG PeaceCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Data AngelsC4WDG Team ApolytonC3CDG Blood Oath HordeBtS Tri-LeagueCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
King

I'm in favor of seabase site #2 in the south as well - matter of fact wasn't that decided a few turns back? I really want to see us expand south some so we only have 3 directions to worry about attacks from (heh). No idea about the B Drones tho :/
Old September 17, 2003, 04:09   #21
johndmuller
King

Hey, I like Seabase site #2 too (after all, I'm the one who put it on the map), it's just that it will take 5 turns to build the base there (the closer site near Treasure Islet gets it built on the 2nd turn). The original plan was to send the Sea former up there in the NW, but then it seemed like a good idea to build another CP at Liar's since we would otherwise have a drone control shortage there, so the Treasure Island site seemed like the best idea at the time. The overlap isn't that bad, especially if you think about all the hotshots building bases just a couple of tiles apart (at least talking about doing that, I haven't actually seen much of it in PBEMS).

Anyway, I'm not going to press that site if noone else likes it - we'll get around to something in that area eventually - it is close to HQ, so efficiency will be good).

How about this plan:
-The Sea Colony will be ready in 2139 without hurrying it along.
-Cap'n Herc's voyage from Liar's to the NW with the various units can be at (48,52) or (49,53) with the rover or (47,47), (48,48) or(49,49) if it leaves the rover on Bull Island temporarily.
-The SeaColony, if it went NNW could go to (52,50) at that same time (2139)
-The next turn, if the Booty Boat had followed the (48,48) +or- option without the rover, it could move 3 more tiles to the NW, exposing a lot of that currently empty space. If we liked what was there, we could plant the Colony over there somewhere, perhaps with a portion of its territory on the island there, and if we didn't, we could plant the colony at (48,52) on that turn same turn (the same 2 turn time frame as would have been for the Treasure Islet annex site) - the (48,52) site is not loaded with bonus tiles, but it is strategically located at least, connecting all those islets, and if a base were there when we popped the pod at (49,51) it might force the 'good' result like a monolith special or even an earthquake (I'm not sure if that works with a sea base an a land pod, but I don't think land pods generate sea baddies either though, so there wouldn't be any direct risk at least, and the "good" pop thing may actually apply anyway. Even with all these nice things I've been saying about (48,52), I'd still be hoping that something better turned up in the newly explored territory.

So please consider that plan instead of either Seabase site #2 or the Treasure Islet annex. With all the Nuts we'll be producing at Atlantis, I'm sure we can get to Seabase Site #2 (or land tile equivalent nearby like (49,75), given a little defungus action, or else (50,74) and/or someplace on or SW of Pitcairn Islet).

We do have plenty of time on this issue since we already have a RecComm there and we should be planning on another garrison, which would cover a pop of 4 (or 3 even with a b-drone hit).

As to the b-drones, IIRC in the forthcoming phase 1 of b-drones, you don't get them all the time and they may occur at the new base and/or 1 may appear at an existing base, so for each new base we may create 0, 1 or 2 b-drones, and if it is 2, only 1 will be in an existing base. Since we are not running Demo, we can always build a scout with our initial 10 mins in a new base, giving us time to get a Rec Comm together. Our SeaBases could generally handle an extra drone (especially if we made a crawler or trawler to replace the wasted nuts, but it would be much better if we could get up to pop 5 so that our specialist could be producing something instead of having to be a doctor (we might need a 10% psych allocation to tide us over if the b-drones get us down too much). The biggest problems I see are in our land bases, especially those ones on Boot - it would be bad luck to get one there, especially before we get a crawler going.

Last edited by johndmuller; September 17, 2003 at 04:17.
Old September 19, 2003, 22:38   #22
Hercules
Deity

Hiya maties,

Mid turn 2136 I have played just a few moves so far. So lots still to move and do.

Some good news and some surprising news.

First we have met with the Drones. They don't know it yet: and we met them where we didn't expect, at 3,45. We met
their unity foil. So have a good look around. Also look at the boundary lines up near where we met the Hive. This may alter
our views on where they and the Hive are.

Techs they are missing are Doc: Mob. Flex, Init, Prog Psych, They have Hive Comm Frequency but missing PUT, Roze,
Miriam, Cycon.

Second, Cycon, didn't try or had no success with the AI

Third, We discovered Doc: Init and are now researching Adaptive Economics.

Fourth, The Hive have just completed two SPs (The HGP and the PTS) and have shot up the power charts.

There is a pod to pop, with the PMS Revenge and the nearest base is Sea Lurk, but I would like to rush complete Sea
Colony pod at Sea Lurk.

I also would like to rush the EB at Tripoli.

PMS Tiger Shark revealed some more ocean but got stuck in some fungus.

So additional comments welcome on new developments. The two HIVE SP completions should send shock waves
around the globe.
Old September 19, 2003, 23:15   #23
Hercules
Deity

Oh and responses within what 12 hours from now.
Old September 20, 2003, 10:26   #24
Makahlua
King

Wow, how did the hive do that??

I guess we better get started on the MCC soon, then - are we going to be able to build trawlers to help accelerate it any? Or even ship land crawlers by BootyBoat? Both rushes sound good to me, how's our treasury holding up?
Old September 20, 2003, 10:43   #25
Hercules
Deity

It's a unity craft, probably given to them at the start. They don't have Doc: Flex yet.

I am giving everyone a bit more time on account of Hurricane Isabel may have caused interruptions to electricity supplies.

Last edited by Hercules; September 20, 2003 at 11:07.
Old September 20, 2003, 17:47   #26
johndmuller
King

Don't have much time for a response at the moment, more later if not too late.

All interesting about the Drones; does that mean that the vast undiscovered area directly north of out homeland is unpopulated? I could also mean that the Hive and Drone boundaries near the King Lear are not necessarily both from their respective main landmasses, one or both could be from a distant colonial outpost. In any event, I would think a treaty offer would be in order and whatever trade overtures Fllubber might want to make - I believe that the Revenge took on some Borg slaves advisors when it visited Pi Square, perhaps they would fetch a pretty price (I understand there is a big marked in Drone slaves workers down south). Maybe we wish to discourage their exploration in this direction too.

Re poid and Sealurk - I don't care if you pop the pod or not, but I am not in favor of rushing the sea colony pod. Did you respond to my 3rd plan regarding that pod and the Liar's bootyboat or are you just ignoring suggestions and keeping your own plans close to the vest - I didn't think the issue of where it was going was settled - I don't know why you are in a hurry to rush it (we have enough drone control and a 3rd good tile to work at the moment), care to explain? If you have to rush a unit, consider the Crawler at Little Stupid Terraformin Accident (although that could wait a turn too).

OK with me if you wish to rush most of the rest of the EBank (14mins for 28 PofE) at Tripoli. What's next - are we thinking of a Command Center (to build InfProbes)?, a NetNode (in futile attempt to keep up with research costs), a PartyBoat? I am not in favor of starting an SP there as it could tie up our most productive base interminibly if we get bounced from SP to more expensive SP by the superior industry of the Hive and Drones (it could support an SP at some other base just as easily by building Crawlers or Trawlers and would maintain its flexibility); I am also unsure if I would want the MCC at the cost of not doing the PEG - I don't think it reasonable to expect to get 2 SPs (I'm not even that sure about 1).

Building a RecCom at Liar's? at Alexandria too?
Old September 21, 2003, 13:11   #27
Hercules
Deity

PMS Revenge popped the pod, with the result that we completed our sea
colony pod at Sea Lurk. (I wanted to rush it so that the pod would pop something else or a goodie at another base.What happens when you pop a pod and the nearest base is at Stockpile. Is there a pattern? IOD perhaps

Energy Bank rushed at Tripoli and supply crawler also at L'il Accident.

Transport from Rita moving to Liar's Lair for some transport duties regarding shifting crawlers

PMS Santiago stormed through sea fungus to more open water

Now three colony pods in transit next turn but only the CP from
Alexandria ready for immediate base founding.

This should now be an interesting diplomacy period.

So Flubber over to you to open negotiations or whatever with Drones. I have offered treaty.

Maybe a new thread for the Drones.

Re the sea colony pod. Well yes I thought the exploring for a base around NNW Denland was a good idea. It will just be a bit quicker than we thought.

I am in favour of starting the MCC but it doesn't have to be at Tripoli and Yes we could useTripoli to mass produce crawlers and probes. So where? At Rita, Alex or HMB, other? And we can build them, because we're the only ones with Doc:Init and we will have a head start.
Old September 21, 2003, 13:39   #28
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 01:48
I am against starting an SP as an SP for the reasons the cuspidore pointed out-- If we miss it we could have a lot of wasted minerals. Aren't crawler upgrades allowed in this game ? If so, I say build two crawlers in the SP base and then upgrade and cash them. THis could perhaps be times with a short stint in PLanned to reduce costs ( I say perhaps because we would have to assess the effieciency cost against the reduced cost of rishing and the bit of additional growth. The 80 ec to switch and swutch back later might not be worthwhile)
Old September 21, 2003, 14:22   #29
Hercules
Deity

Yeah I can go with the crawler upgrade approach.
Old September 22, 2003, 14:36   #30
johndmuller
King

Do we have anything to upgrade them to?